1.36 Prelude (1)
174 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jing Mo was staring at the blue sky, every bit of him just wanting to ignore the screeching noise of complaints from the large bird currently perching on his shoulder.

 

JingMo just stared at the blue sky, wanting to ignore the screeching noise of complain from the large bird currently perching on his shoulder

 

His eagle had returned to him about a few moments ago safely, but without Jing Han.

He clearly had sent this well-trained bird, his precious eagle named Niu1from the character 牛, which means ox. Yes, Jing Mo had named his eagle, 'ox' , to deliver some intelligence to his sworn brother, Jing Han. Although Jing Mo always regarded Jing Han as his own brother, he had grown accustomed of calling the latter 'Master'. After all, Jing Mo's father was also a vassal of Jing Han's father. Therefore, he kept referring at him as such.

But why did Niu come back alone? Why didn't Jing Han just follow the bird to reach where Jing Mo would be waiting for him, right at Ming Town?

He always knew Jing Han was directionally challenged, but he did not realize that the man was so stubborn, Jing Han would not even want to follow the eagle's direction. Jing Mo had sent Niu precisely because he was aware of Jing Han's shortcoming in the way of the roads, now it was all for naught.

Niu the eagle was still squawking ruefully, and Jing Mo just tried his best to dull his ears. There was actually a more pressing matter at hand at the moment. He had been spying on the Ji family ever since he found out from Xiao Hui that one of the qin players from the Ji family had a vanishing flower marking.

Both qin players seemed to be noble young ladies, so he was convinced that the person JingHan and himself had been looking for all these years was somehow raised under Ji family's shelter as their own family member.

Hence, he sent Niu to deliver that letter to Jing Han.

But a number of days ago, there had been some carriages that had left the Ji estate. With his surveillance and spying effort, he found out that all the female members from the Ji family, including Xiao Hui, had gone with the Princes to Da Lang.

He wanted to follow them, but he thought he should at least wait for Jing Han to arrive, before making their next move.

But this morning, even before the sun peeked through the horizon, there was a ruckus at Ji estate. He saw a blur of movements of some profiles, clearly not with the best of intentions, climbing the walls of the estate.

There had been some sound of metallic blows of weapons, some grunts, clear smell of blood.

As the estate grew quiet, and the morning was gradually blessed by sunlight, Jing Mo realized that the situation was not too good for him to stay idle for too long. But for him, as long as the young lady with the vanishing flower mark was out of harm's way, he did not really want to stick his nose into any unnecessary business.

When he was still tossing about inwardly, a few black clad figures, with their faces obscured behind clothes, jumped over the walls. They were escaping out of Ji estate. Behind them, the very unmistakable well-built figure of General Ji followed in pursuit, also accompanied by several of his men. All of the men were pretty adept in their qigong2https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigongability.

Then as sudden as they had appeared, they were all soon gone from his sight. Jing Mo could only vaguely tell the direction they had gone to; it was the forsaken barren piece of land slightly north between Ming town and Da Lang.

Clearly, the black clad figures were luring the General into a trap.

Jing Mo sighed tiredly. He needed to at least let the Ji family at Da Lang know. Perhaps with assistance also from the Imperial family and Zhen clan's military involvement, then they could give some helping hand to General Ji. After all, if the young lady with the vanishing flower mark turned out to be the very person Jing Han and himself had been searching for, the Ji family had been her benefactor all these years. It was only right that Jing Mo extended his goodwill as well.

Not that he was not convinced of Ji ChanFang's prowess. But from his months of observation, he could only come into conclusion that the General was too straightforward, too honest. Despite his young age, Jing Mo had enough experience to know some people would not be ashamed to play dirty in order to gain victory.

Not only that, JingMo was also concerned with Xiao Hui. He admitted, initially he was only gradually getting closer to the girl because she accidentally let slip about her 'Xiao Hua''s flower mark. He tried not to pester her too much about it, lest the girl would be suspicious of him. But with his effort and subdued politeness, Xiao Hui opened up about a lot of things herself. In fact, Jing Mo also finally managed to exchange a few words of pleasantries with this 'Xiao Hua', mainly because the latter was very grateful for his help for Xiao Hui during the incident at Lian house. 

He remembered her slightly accusing glance at him, seemingly wanting to threat him without words that he better not be playing with Xiao Hui with his ambiguous advancements.

She was in every bit all the flowery praises Xiao Hui had been gushing about. Initially he was curious as to why Xiao Hui would call the other girl just 'Xiao Hua'. But the girl would not explain, just pouting bitterly, mumbling about her other Young Miss not being fair.

But with 'Xiao Hua''s demeanor and her graceful bearing, Jing Mo could not help but to wish in his heart that this Xiao Hua, this Young Miss of the Ji family, was the person Jing Han and himself had been seeking.

Taking a deep breath, Jing Mo took out a paper and a small charcoal. He always brought some spares with him to communicate. After writing his message, he tied the rolled up paper on Niu's left claw.

"Please find Master Jing Han again."

Niu seemed to be squawking in protest, "Aiya~ master, how are you being fair to me? The person does not even want to follow me properly."

"If he doesn't want to follow you," JingMo's lips were pursed in humorless tight line, "Just peck him to death."

Niu flapped his wings, now screeching in approval, before decisively flew into the distance.

Jing Mo set his course towards Da Lang. 

In the Northern Plains, the Jing tribe had always been the strongest. He was a member of the Jing tribe as well, he had complete confidence in his endurance. Remembering the content of the letter he wrote earlier, now tied to Niu's claw, he just hoped JingHan would not be too stubborn this time.

[Master Jing Han, make your way to Da Lang.

The person we may be looking for is now in the capital city;

Do NOT be troublesome and follow Niu, please!

Jing Mo]

*** *** ***

Liu YangHuan was mightily pleased that his estate had been looked after by the Ji family freeloaders. He initially just wanted to start staying at Wu DanShao's estate so he could avoid potential trouble from his disciple, He Shan. However inwardly, he had been worrying about how his estate would be taken care of.

After all, the Ji clan was a military family. He initially thought, surely the females of that family would be crude as well? He had only half-believed He Shan when he spoke highly about Ji LanBai and Bai YuLan, but he was utterly relieved when he finally could see for himself, the immaculate look of his estate.

He Shan and Sun Chen personally greeted him and Wu DanShao and took them to their appointed seats, which had been set at the central courtyard of the residence.

As the actual master of the house, and Wu DanShao being Sun Chen's teacher as well, they both had the best seats in the house. He Shan had tactfully arranged their positions so they could clearly hear all the musical instruments set for that day.

Sun Chen, however, almost fell when he saw another arriving party at the gate.

Minister Chao's son and daughter, Chao HuiBo and Chao MeiHua, made their appearance.

They were the representatives from the Minister of Finance's household, as Minister Chao himself had to attend court at that particular moment, like any other officials.

And from the deathly glare Young Miss Chao had been giving him, she clearly still had some gripe against his rejection a while back. Sun Chen could only pray for himself that there would not be any trouble today.

By Chao MeiHua's side, stood a young female with a delicate look but still exuded her noble graceful bearing. Her pretty face was flawlessly made up, and her posture was straight and dignified.

"Princess? What a pleasant surprise." Wu DanShao had previously extended his greeting to the two Ji Madames and Ji SongLi. He was only about to ask Sun Chen to come inside as well when he noticed the newly arriving people.

"Wu-laoshi, it is very good to see you looking well." Princess  Zhang XiuYa slightly curtsied in greetings, and also did the same towards Liu YangHuan who had now also noticed her arrival. She was one of the Imperial Family members who had the fortune to be directly taught by Old Master Wu and Old Master Liu. 

Chao MeiHua and Chao HuiBo followed suit in humbly greeting the two old scholars. Although they were not the Old Masters' disciples, they had been taught by both He Shan and Sun Chen, who were their direct disciples. In all sense of propriety, these two sagacious old men were their teachers' masters.

If referring as the saying goes, "A teacher for a day, is almost akin to a father for a lifetime." Then Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao could be regarded as their grandfathers.

The unusual group of two old men, two noble youths, and a Royal Princess made their way inside the estate. Then Zhang XiuYa suddenly tugged on Chao MeiHua's sleeve, and shifted her figure to the latter closer to whisper,

"That is the young man we saw the other day!" Her eyes were bright.

Ji SongLi noticed the group of young people walking together with Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao, and he could tell in an instant that the identities of these personages must be extraordinary. After all, the two Old Masters were speaking very politely at them, especially at one female who was dressed in meticulous silk embroidered robe. Her hair was adorned with a small phoenix silver hairpin and some simpler ornaments that were made of white jade.

He knew that only married females of the Imperial Family could wear gold hair accessories depicting a phoenix. Judging that this young female was wearing one in silver, she must be an unmarried Princess of the Imperial Family, likely a sibling or a cousin of the three Princes.

He walked towards the group, and stood a foot away in front of them.

Wu DanShao took the initiative to introduce his young past disciples,

"Young Master Ji, this is Princess Zhang XiuYa; Minister Chao's heir, Young Master Chao HuiBo; and Minister Chao's daughter, Young Miss Chao MeiHua."

Ji SongLi had heard about Chao MeiHua and Sun Chen's incident from He Shan and Sun Chen directly, but he did not let his amused gaze linger for longer than necessary at the young lady.

He cupped his fists lightly and bowed his body in greeting. As he lifted his body and look at these youths, he greeted them in turn,

"Princess Zhang, Young Master Chao, Young Miss Chao. My name is Ji SongLi and I have not had the fortune to be acquainted with yourselves previously." He smile kindly, "However, please let me extend my hospitality on the Ji family's behalf. If there is anything you think is lacking, please do not be troubled to ask me personally."

The Princess could not help but to hide her blushing expression by nodding her head slightly, wishing the latter would not notice her warming cheeks. She curtsied gracefully to greet him back.

"'Ji SongLi'. 'Ji SongLi'. The only heir to the Tiger Seal, just like Zhen BuFeng is to the Wolf Seal. Both are sons raised in military family." she could not help but to steal another glance at him,

"He is actually very good looking and look very kind and elegant. While Zhen BuFeng... , his stone face is such a waste to his face."

Chao MeiHua blinked once, but soon also curtsied back in greeting. All she could remember was his voice when he greeted them earlier.

His voice was low, but had a gentle touch to it. It had the quality to soothe anyone who would listen.

 

0