1.38 Overture
160 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Their second performance finally ended. This time, there was a soft but audible clap from the audience. It was Princess Zhang XiuYa, earnestly clapping her hands in excitement.

She was utterly enthralled with the song that had just ended, especially when suddenly the leaves just seemed to magically fluttered down in a flurry to accompany both of the players' dialogue through their zithers.

She could not help but to also wish to be the female qin player. She had been under tutelage by Master Liu YangHuan, and she herself was considered skilled in guqin and a variety of other instruments. Surely she could create that magic as well?

"Especially if I can play that song with him... ." She couldn't help but to blush at this thought.

Then she realized that she was not supposed to clap or make any noise until the end of the performance. She lowered her head as her blush deepened, now in embarrassment. 

She peeked at Ji SongLi from her lowered head at the male platforms.

And saw Ji SongLi looking at her, clearly noticing her disruption. 

Then she could see his lips lifted as he shook his head slightly in helplessness. But there was no annoyance nor reprimand on his still gentle expression.

The Princess' young heart trembled with such simple gesture. She gripped her palm with her other hand, calming herself down. She was genuinely afraid Chao MeiHua would be able to hear her loudly beating heart.

YuLan stood and walked to the edge to the platform. Xiao Hui was already standing there to hand her an erhu, the same erhu she had received from the inn-owner when they first arrived in Da Lang.

She gave her guqin - Ji SongLi's guqin - to Xiao Hui and smiled in gratitude, and was given an encouraging grin as the other girl walked away towards the male platform. Ji SongLi took his guqin as he gave He Shan's guqin back to the latter.

As Ji SongLi sat down, he noticed YuLan's gaze on him. There was a faint concern in her eyes, and he just nodded in assurance.

He knew what she was worried about. After all, the next piece they intended to play was the instrumental piece he had been having constant nightmares about, despite himself not quite sure of what the nightmare was. 

All he knew was; the sound in his head, the sound that gave voice to the song's melody, was getting louder and clearer.

He knew the song was supposed to mean something. It was supposed to remind him of something. Yet, he could not figure out what. Or why.

He Shan and Sun Chen were adamant that they had to play the new piece to these extinguished guests. Initially He Shan offered to learn the guqin part for himself to perform, but Ji SongLi rejected it. He wanted to perform the qin part. 

Finally, He Shan and Yu Lan relented. He Shan would sit behind him with his own guqin, and will be ready to salvage and continue on the performance if by any chance Ji SongLi could not manage to continue.

It was extremely a matter-of-fact matter for Ji SongLi; regardless whichever part, there must be no one else other than him or YuLan should perform this particular song.

It was as though this song was intricately linked to their souls. 

As YuLan received his steady gaze back and his smile, she could only swallow her concern. It was too late anyway, Ji SongLi had strummed his guqin, signalling the start of the song.

 

SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) ||  TITLE:  女兒情 (NU ER QING) INSTRUMENTAL VERSION

(SongLi's part: zither/guqin. YuLan's part: erhu)

 

As the main part of the piece started, Ji SongLi started hearing blurred voices inside his mind once again. The voices did not even ring in his brain, the vibration of the muted scream drilled into his heart as well.

Yet, he started to feel, hear, the words had become more distinct as the song gradually peaked. 

If anyone would notice, his face had paled considerably ever since he began performing this song. Cold sweat started to form on his forehead as he continued strumming his zither, following the melody that he had played again and again, over and over, either with his guqin or inside his mind.

[Isn't she beautiful, Isn't she beautiful?]

His gaze was fixated across the platform, where that girl was. The young woman's expression showed utter concentration, her head down, focusing on the strings on her erhu.

[To be close to my beloved...]

As the song almost came to a close, He Shan could not help but to let out a sigh of relief. Ji SongLi had performed very splendidly and his posture seemed to be steady throughout. 
But then he faintly heard a mumbling sound from the young man playing guqin in front of him. As He Shan frowned and strained his ears to listen more carefully, he thought, "This Young Master Ji.. seems to be singing?" 

He Shan was not actually sure if it was a singing. Then, the young master seemed to be mumbling to himself, the sound he was singing started to be more coherent, yet as soft as the gentlest of breeze. He Shan wondered if he should do anything about it. After all, Ji SongLi looked as though he was in a trance. 

He Shan was horrified at the thought, "If he actually decides to sing... ."

"Ji LanBai's voice is horrifying. And Ji SongLi is molded from the same father. What if he also had the ability to murder people with his voice?"

When the song actually ended, H eShan let out another big sigh of relief. His initial concern was unfounded.

But then Ji SongLi suddenly started strumming his guqin again, playing the very first starting tune of the same song.

YuLan was more than confused, but she could only follow Ji SongLi's guqin, also playing her erhu part once again to accompany him.

Then as his guqin reached the main part of the song, the vocalized part that YuLan could never remember nor give words to, the qin sound from Ji SongLi became a lot more softer.

He was still having his head down, his eyes were fixated on his own fingers that were still dancing flawlessly on the zither strings. His brows were knitted and his lips were pale. The words escaping his lips were no longer muddled,

[Whispering to the holy man behind his ears;

isn't she beautiful; isn't she beautiful...?]

His voice was initially only audible to himself, as well He Shan and Sun Chen behind him. YuLan, Ji LanBai, and the rest of the audience could only hear that his zither sound was getting softer.

Ji SongLi then lifted his head to look at the sky.

The sky was still blue. 

The sun was still shining.

The world was still beautiful.

But what was this inexplicable pain inside his heart? 

What was this yearning?

He did not realize that his voice actually became louder, laden with emotion. 
The courtyard was now silent. There was just desperation that was his voice, carried by the gentle wind for everyone present to hear.

 

SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) ||  TITLE:  女兒情 (NU ER QING) }| SINGER: HENRY LAU

 

[Say, what is wealth; what is prosperity;

Why would we be afraid of otherworldly rules;

I only hope this is an everlasting love;

and to live with my beloved.]

 

The whispers in his head became his own. The murmur in his heart was his own.

He did not know how those words immediately came to mind, as though they were the voice of his own heart, his very soul. 

Once he gave vocal to those haunting whispers, the words flowed uninhibited.

Like a burst embankment; like a raging river after a storm.

He knew, there was only one person all these aches and longing were intended for. It was always the same person his soul was pining for.

"Perhaps, I have fallen for her, way before this life... ."

Ji SongLi shifted his misty eyes from the sky towards the other platform, where YuLan was now staring back at him. She was no longer playing her erhu. 

He caught her gaze and she could not look away. As she was searching for something inside Ji SongLi's eyes, the young man's gaze was also burning into hers. And YuLan once again felt that ache she felt when she was embraced briefly by Ji SongLi a few days ago.

This time it was not a dull pain. This time, it was almost... almost agonizing.

Like she had done the worst crime. It was like she had to explain herself to him.

"For what?" She did not know. 

But the young man's eyes were so sorrowful in all his steadiness when he looked at her. 

As if all the pain in the world was being burdened by him, and caused by her.

Ji SongLi's voice turned higher a as sure as the air he breathed -

[ Loving that person;

Loving that person;

May we always be together in this life;

I will accompany you...

Forever...]

The last soft tone of his zither rang out, sounding as desolate as winter chill. 

Ji SongLi was still staring at YuLan when He Shan's voice snapped him back to reality,

"Young Master Ji?"

Ji SongLi abruptly stood. He vaguely turned to look at He Shan, mumbling an excuse of not being well. Then he stumbled off the platform, ignoring the concerned looks of the people around him as he left the courtyard.

He needed some time alone.

The audiences, although they were concerned when they looked at his pale face, were very impressed with his earlier vocal performance. Despite the awkward pause in the performance due to one of the male players now leaving, they began to murmur their opinions among each other.

"MeiHua." Zhang XiuYa bit her lower lips, "This Young Master Ji... is clearly an outstanding man, don't you think?"

She blushed and began to think to perhaps ask her Imperial Uncle to grant a formal request to be introduced as a prospect for future ties between the Ji family and the Imperial family again.

After all, her third older cousin was engaged to the Young Miss of the Ji family. If she - as a high-ranked Princess - was also tied to the Ji heir, how wonderful that would be.

Chao MeiHua was only half-listening to the Princess as her gaze was still fixated on the door where Ji SongLi had disappeared beyond. 

"He is good looking. He is elegant. He is educated. He is skilled in martial arts. He has a voice of a deity. MeiHua, ah MeiHua... . How have you missed such a gemstone like this one and had previously liked that Sun Chen bastard instead."

Still on the platform, Sun Chen the bastard sneezed.

"Liked... liked... yes... I have only previously foolishly liked Sun-laoshi. Ji SongLi though... I think I love you..."

 

Isn't Henry's voice just... divine? *sighs*

 

1