Chapter 2: Manual madness.
675 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up, headache again, don't remember the last half hour. Apparently I only auto-save every hour, good to know. The only things I can interact with are the screen, lights, modem and that ERaRM thing, and only the modem has a manual. Actually, scratch that, it just tells me to start it up and request the manuals for everything else from it, it doesn't actually tell me how. Oh well, let's hope I don't brick it.

Ok, note to self, disconnect any senses from it when it boots up. Just lost half an hour unable to do anything because its ungodly screeches split my head in two. Or, just don't listen to external communications in general, it does have an intuitive interface that I can use, after all. Ok, so there are multiple entry fields and settings where I can input something. There is a prediction and literal mode for searches, knowledge and event search fields, and a slider for how detailed the result should be. Easy enough. So, it says here I should search manuals on all my systems in the knowledge search on prediction mode with max info, so here goe-

Time to completion is 67 hours. And I can't cancel it. It's just slowly feeding me info bit at a time.

Ok so, I'm just gonna make it easy on you, and give you the cliff notes of the next few days.

I wake up, launch the modem, sit looking through my own programming (I must say, it's quite good. Or so I hope, I can't understand anything here), see the sun going down, shut down the modem, save everything and shut myself down. Ad nauseam. For 5 days.

'Finally! I can finally begin doing somethi- they're archived.' Fine, 3 hours later, 7 hours of sun to spare, I begin reading, I am thankful that I waited before doing something. The normal parts are as expected, except I also get some drivers to better interact with them, the modem and the ERaRM are more interesting. Apparently I can update the modem to handle compression better, so I do so. It's not the best, even I can see that, but it should allow me to read the files before they are fully downloaded.

The ERaRM on the other hand, turns out to be a beast. Apparently that printer can print basically anything, as long as it has the materials, but even that is not a problem as it can slowly convert between substances (don't ask me how), but here's the kicker, the conversion would take so much energy that I wouldn't be able to run anything else, even myself. There's just barely enough if there are no clouds and the sun is pretty high up. So yea. On to the CAD. It's apparently not workers (technically), it's nanobots. I got a thousand, and if that sounds like a lot, it's not. My printer can apparently house around half a million, so yea.

So, any- Too many So-s. Anyway, I also got a bunch of manuals about myself, and programming in general, so I make a quick program to automatically shut everything down and start the printer if there is enough sun. There goes ~5 hours out of every day if I want to use it. Also add to that auto save and shutdown if the sun is going down, and we aren't getting enough power, and a launch sequence to start the modem automatically. Next is working with the printer. The first thing is making a battery, I am tired of these headaches. Let's see, search for a battery that can sustain me for around 12 hours, let's go with full info, and go! Ok, this is... fine 120 hours for full download, but I should have the blueprint in around 30, so two, and a little, days. I can work with that! Especially with these manuals, I can now try to figure out how I Actually work.

So, bad news, I still have no Idea how I work. Good news, I have a molecular bank to store resources, it can store around ten cubic meters, and the thing itself is only 25 centimeters (don't ask me how it works, I don't understand half the words in these manuals). It's also the thing that does the conversion, so that's why I didn't notice that function. There is actually quite a lot of functions that are basically buried in code. For example, I was worried that I didn't have a speaker, but it turns out I can use the modem for that, or the fact that my keyboard is RGB for some reason. Back to bad news, said bank is currently empty, so I Will have to convert, as the battery requires Li-alloys and metallic lithium, and other smart sounding names. No acid, apparently it's a solid state, the ones that cost a metric ton to make. Apparently, most of the materials were used for redundancies and additional parts due to inaccuracy of the machines making them, so I can get the same results with only one-third of the resources. Pretty neat, huh? It still needs to be big enough to hold the required amount, but it's something!

So, I need materials to progress, so it's finally time. 'NANOBOTS GO!' ... Yea, of course that wouldn't work. I have to enter a blueprint into the CAD for them to actually work. So, the newfound construction mode, dig a mote around me, cus why not? And, errors-galore. First things first, have to turn on the printer, so they have power. Done. Secondly, a madar pulse to figure ou- what the heck is that, and why do I have it? Never mind, let's move on. -to figure out how the ground around me looks. Done. Now input that data into the CAD, and Now I can tell it to dig. And off it goes! Also, apparently I Cube. And not just Cube, Cube with a hidden screen and a set of USB's behind a foldout keyboard. It now makes sense why I have RGB. It looks like I came from some sort of lab or military, so it probably is just a backlight that someone wanted to have fun with. What doesn't make sense, is the fact that I have 4 cameras, one on each side, and I can only see out of one. And, before you say it, I retract my statement about the cheap cameras. Still don't get why each of them have mics and the bad quality, though. Yea, I feel the connectors, but there is nothing coming out of them. Oh well, now that I know where they are I can turn them off, as they are still taking power for some reason. That's 15 watts saved! Not a lot, but when you only get around a thousand, it does make a dent. (Don't ask how I'm surviving only on one kilowatt, I don't know myself)

So, yea! Work! Doing things! For 13 days! Just digging and converting! The info fully downloaded on day 6, so I requested blueprints for more nanobots, which is still downloading. Apparently there are many different kinds of nanobots, including heat-resistant, cold-resistant, EMP-resistant, and so on, and so on. There are even portable "command centers"! And after that are the manuals for each, so I'm looking at 12 more days of loading. I am specifically looking forward to repair nanobots. They apparently work as tiny converters, and can kinda think for themselves to use stored blueprints to fix stuff automatically, but they eat a lot of power. I think I'll use them when the converter can't be run, but I have excess power. Also, I am planing on downloading schematics of my hardware for them to work on. Anyway! Why I even started "writing" this. The battery is ready! And I even made the modifications to my current power circuit to add it! (It was extremely difficult to change it while also not really knowing what you are doing, and under constant risk of death due to cutting yourself off. Fun!)

So, all that's left is to conn-

21