Chapter 3: Spring heat.
544 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘God fucking damn it! Whoever made that shutdown program is an idiot!… Wait, I made it… I don’t retract that statement.’

So, I have a headache again, so the battery installing is postponed, instead let’s scale down the battery so that I can make a buffer for excess energy, so I don’t waste it, and so I can use the converter not only during the peak of the day.

The scaling down was surprisingly easy, and I started the process in only a couple of minutes. While I wait for this headache to subside, why not try to scale up? Having the ability to survive a day or even more without sunlight would be useful! And, it turns out, I can’t. Scaling down is easy, but scaling up is surprisingly difficult. I’m not even sure why, it just doesn’t work. And I can’t even ask because my modem is busy. Oh, yea! The manual! Ok so, apparently the battery that I am making right now will be mighty inefficient, so cancel that, but keep the material production. There is a tiny moat around me, so maybe slowly moving the dig site is a good idea. Anyway, it seems the battery that I was given is made only for that size with that power storage, so no messing with that until I truly understand what I’m doing. On that note, why don’t I just make a second battery? Yea, let’s go with that.

On another note, my CPU is reporting higher temperatures. I would be worried, but the logs tell me that it is not getting much cooler when I shut down, so there is only one explanation, and I really would like for that to be the case. It’s spring. I unfortunately can’t tell from the surrounding trees, as they are all evergreens, but I do tend to hear birds more often recently, so that’s a good sign, right? Anyway, after I get my own schematics I am planning on getting some blueprints and info in general about solar panels, and place a second one. That should allow the converter to run as long as there is sun, and faster to boot! Turns out, it is currently running on low-power mode, and can theoretically go pretty fast, but the power consumption is exponential. Now that I think about, I am thinking of ways to make the planned repair nanobots obsolete. Nah, I still could use repair, like those cameras for example, I still haven’t figured out what’s wrong with them.

Ok! Waiting it is! I think I’m gonna focus on going through the modem, who knows what it hides in its code.

So, minor bad news first! There are a bunch of inactive hooks labeled as being for the modem hidden inside the firmware, but there is no such corresponding software on the modem. I highly suspect that I can get better modems in the future, but not now. Now onto the good news! Because of the battery, I only shut down during the midday for the converter, and the modem never does, so I managed to finish the nanobot download in only 5 days! Turns out, it being able to do it's work not interrupted mid-process makes it slightly faster, who knew? After that, I put my blueprints on download and am currently looking at 32 more days of downloads. But! I figured out how to make it give me the files one component at a time, so I can begin work already. So, here we are now. The second battery is ready and installed (It was as nerve-racking as the first time) as a buffer. I can now squeeze out four more fours of work out of it to the total of 9 per day, although, as it turns out, I REALLY need a second solar. It rained 3 days ago, and I barely had enough power to do anything. I shut myself down and only left the modem running, and still the battery nearly died. I am also starting to think about other sources of power, but not right now.

So, I already set the printer to make me 100 repair nanobots, says it will take only a couple of hours, but it's going on 3 and still no dice. I am starting to think something went wro- Ah! Here they are! Ok, so I already have most normal parts like CPU and the Drive info downloaded, so I tell them to do their thing and tell me if something Is broken. I also preemptively exclude the power circuit from parts they can fix, as I already felt it out with normal nanobots, and nothing seems broken, And I am afraid they will try to "fix" back the modifications that I made. I will still ask them to describe all the changes in more detail when I have the blueprint, so I can make one which they can act on without destroying my work, but I don't have it for now. Oh! They already found something! So, THAT'S why the cameras didn't work. They are only plugged in half way, and the connectors are bent. Seems like someone either drunk, or rushing, plugged them in. The fourth one is only marginally better, so I tell my normal bots to help out by fully unplugging them and plugging them back in when the repairs are complete. Here we are! I can finally see! Also, I can confirm that it's spring. There is a fruit tree to the left, and it is currently full of flowers. That's excellent as I have all the way until fall, with its endless rains, to kinda settle in, and If I don't manage to get some other power source for the winter I would be toast, and considering that evergreens grow here, it must be pretty cold, so I would probably need cold-resistant nanobots if I want to actually do anything in winter.

So, back to waiting! My printer is silent for the entire time, the converter going strong, and is currently making materials for my future solar, after I got the info from what my current one is made from. The fruit tree is starting to lose petals, so summer must be coming up. That coincides with my converter now running around ten hours a day, and the slow heating of my internals during the day. I, for some reason, don't have any cooling, so I will have to probably make some in, like, a month's time from now. Into the notepad it goes! Oh yea, wasn't just twiddling my thumbs while waiting, I now have a word processor, a basic drawing software, tic-tac-toe, chess, checkers, solitaire, poker and so on. I have around 10 or so games, even minesweeper! I am also working on something like Windows 95, but it's on pause until I get more manuals and guides on programming and visual design. Also, it seems I was assembled in a hurry. Scratch marks near screws, said screws being either too tight, or too loose, hasty welds on my outer shell, some parts connected by random, non-fitting wires, and even some blood on a bottom of a screw that broke through the board. All in all, it feels like I was intended to be assembled over the course of a week or so, and was done in a couple of hours. So, yea, good job me, for making those bots. I stopped leaking around 20 watts from that repair, and guess what! That, coupled with the summer, sent me over the edge and I can now operate 24/7! And that means, no more headaches! Well, I will have to turn off the cameras at the beginning and the end, but I already made a program to turn off stuff stage by stage if the power runs low, so everything should be fine. Oh! On the topic of cameras, after the repairs, they are Magnificent. I can see the texture of wood from ~15 meters away! And the sound is loud and crisp, there is definitely a river, or most likely a stream nearby.

Now, then back to business. The download of myself was completed, so I requested a bunch of new programming guides and will order some solar panel blueprints. Maybe another meter by meter? That would basically double my output, but thinking about the future it's best to make them modular if possible, so it's easy to expand, so I will go with that. After that, I will try to get a better modem, if possible. So, with the plans set, I request the programming knowledge for a day (yet another hidden feature that was buried in the code half finished) and then request info on the best solar panel to double my current output when that finishes, and begin tinkering with my budding OS.

21