Chapter 20: Astel
2.8k 11 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That really surprised me!?

 

I looked down at myself. The white dress was like usual, and I didn't feel any discomfort.

 

How can it be that I wear the dress when I was in my rabbit form before?

 

(Didn't you notice?)

 

What?

 

(The dress, it had dissolved in your transformation and came out just when the reverse transformation.)

 

Uh? How was that supposed to work? There was nothing in the description of my abilities!

 

(That's right, that's what I've done, too.) I can store bits and pieces in me, the splinter-core, but I have to say that the dress was already my limit.)

 

Can you store something now as well?

 

(No, because if you're in that shape, you use my shrapnel.)

 

...good to know.

 

(I think that was all. I will go and rest some more...)

 

WAIT!

 

(Hm…?)

 

Can I understand people at all?

 

(Ah! Persephone forgot to say to you what her gift for you was the language of spirits. We call it a gift for the survivor that entered the underworld, spirit world, or intermediate world, but they automatically gain this power in these worlds.)

 

The language is a single cheat!

 

(Uh-yes... whatever... I'm going back to sleep.)

 

Tyche's voice softened toward the end.

 

Well, then let's go!

 

I straightened the dress as best I could with my hand. The feathers on my thighs and my pelvis like my wings were gone. Only a few feathers that formed a panty remained.

 

Since the wings were gone, could the dress down in full length that was as high as my knees.

 

The conversation with Tyche took longer than expected, the sun had just left the horizon, and was now in the morning sky.

 

I came out of the trees onto a narrow street that led to the gate.

 

I was now about 300 meters away from the gate and started to approach the gate.

 

"Stop!"

 

One of the two guards stopped me.

 

"Who are you?"

 

"Eris."

 

"..."

 

The first guard fell silent.

 

"He did not want your name. But your origin. It is unusual for strangers to apply here. "

 

"Ah! I'm just a wanderer who happened to end up here. "

 

"A little kid li-."

 

"Hush!"

 

The second guard wanted to stop the first one from talking, but the man kept going.

 

"-ke you ?! Is that supposed to be a joke? "

 

The second guard missed the other a blow with his hand on the helmet.

 

"Ow!"

 

"You idiot! Don’t you see the rabbit ears? "

 

"Uh?"

 

The guard looked at my head. When he saw the ears on top of my head, his face turned pale.

 

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't see your ears and thought you were a human child."

 

Uh!? I'm only 12 years old, so I'm theoretically a kid or not? I look even younger than I actually am, and he still apologizes to me? Can it be that Rabbit Werebeasts are legal lolis?

 

"You mentioned earlier you're a wanderer, right?"

 

"Yes, that's right."

 

"Then, you have no identity card of a country or organization."

 

"Yup, I never needed it before."

 

When I say so, no one can argue it was a lie.

 

The guard made a confused face.

 

"Hmm ... well, then I have to go for sure, you have to know that there are not many visitors, out there are only trees. And I need to write down your contact information and find out why you're visiting, is that okay? "

 

"I don't have any other possibilities... right?"

 

It sounds like a lot of bureaucracy, what a pest.

 

"Then, please follow me to the guardhouse."

 

I followed the guard into the small guardhouse.

 

The guardhouse consisted of a small room with a weapon stand next to the door. A table, for four people, was placed in the middle of the room.

 

Another guard was sitting at the table, engrossed in documents up to his ears. She had not dropped off her helmet like the others. He had short chestnut-reddish-brown hair.

 

"Josof, this is someone to take care of."

 

The man named Josof raised his head and stared at us with his orange-brown eyes.

 

"One child, Simeon?"

 

"A Rabbit Werebeast."

 

The guard adds my race.

 

"I can see that, Simeon. Nevertheless, she is still a child. Where did you find her? "

 

I intervened.

 

"Not found! I came here on my own! "

 

"Ha? And why would a child want to come to a border town?"

 

"I'm looking for something."

 

"Your parents?"

 

"...Yes."

 

"So, a missing child."

 

The guard named Simeon interrupted us.

 

"Sorry, but I have to get back and guard the gate."

 

He turned around like a robot and left the guardhouse, leaving Josof and me alone.

 

"Ah... well, it can't help. Can you write?"

 

"...Yes?"

 

"Is that a question?"

 

"N-no, I can write."

 

"Well, fill this out please if you have any questions let me know."

 

Josof handed me a paper scroll, as well as a feather.

 

"No ink?"

 

"Eh? There's a magical crystal in this pen, you can write without ink."

 

How cool!

 

I looked at the questions on the scroll.

 

Name... Eris... Age... 12... Criminal record... No, would anyone ever write anything here... Job... n/A…

 

"Are there any people writing their criminal record here?"

 

"Yes, there are. People who served their sentences already are the most common examples."

 

"Uhum... stuff exists."

 

Reason for stay... Information about the area and its inhabitants...

 

The last point was the signature.

 

So, done.

 

"Done."

 

"Then, let me see."

 

Josof took the scroll of me. He walked across the document, with half-closed eyes. Then he took out a seal. He placed the stamp of the seal at the end of the scroll.

 

The stamp briefly began to glow green.

 

"Here."

 

He handed the document to me back.

 

"You can use it as a passport in the territory of  Count Eltenant, so be careful. Don't lose it! And for Informations, ask in the guild house, they can certainly help you. You find the guild in the center of the town, its right next to the temple."

 

"Thanks!"

 

I bowed and left the guardhouse.

 

He said, guild!

 

The two guards at the gate noticed me, and the guard whose name I didn't know called to me.

 

"Welcome to Astel, Eris."

 

He waved to me yet, and I returned his wave with a slight wave.

 

The houses in Astel consisted only of stone rarely wood was used anywhere.

 

Strange, why don't they use wood? They live in a forest, but they cart huge amounts of stones inside the forest to build a town.

 

The shops I passed were all still closed, but some shops had already opened their windows or doors. In these jobs were some people who cleaned the shop or set up the products for the opening.

 

It was not long before I arrived at the central square. The first building that caught my eye was the temple.

 

It reminded me of the temples of ancient Greece. A garden surrounded the temple, and a statue of Artemis placed in front of the entrance.

 

It was interesting that Artemis had pointed ears like those of elves.

 

The second building on the square, which I noticed was the only wooden building so far. To be precise, The building was originally a tree with a thick trunk. The tree was hollowed out and now acts as a house.

 

Above the entrance hung a sign. The sign said "Astel branch of the Admeras embassy".

 

Admeras... Admeras... I think Crete said it's the name of the Elves & Albe empire.

 

The third and last building that was special was the 3-story building with the inscription "Guildhall". A few small groups of people had already gathered in front of the building.

 

The building had saloon doors, which helped the incoming and outgoing groups not to get in the way of each other.

 

I walked through the crowd and crossed the doors. In front of me was a small room, on the left wall was a passage, above the frame, was "Hunting Guild" written. At the right end of the opposite wall was a stair. To the left of the stair was a counter. The inscription above the counter said as much as "Guild Information". I approached the counter and greeted the person.

 

"Good morning."

 

The person jumped in fright and looked around. It looked like she didn't see me, so I addressed my word to her again.

 

"I am here!"

 

The person lowered her eyes, and when her eyes met mine, she was shocked and stumbled backward.

 

*romps* *romps*

 

"Kyaaah!"

 

I could hear how she landed onto the ground, and a short cry followed.

 

Where have I ended up?

 

I couldn't help but rolled my eyes.

55