Chapter 40: Fall of the shapeshifter cult (First Part – Eris)
1.7k 21 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today's last chapter.

Happy New Year, GMT. :) This Chapter is x-large with around 1000 words more than usual. (2,6k words)

Naturally, Happy New Year for all these, that still waiting for the year 2020.

I will take a few days leave because I want to write some chapters ahead again. This chapter here was finished at 6 a.m. (CET) on the 31st of December.

How long will the break be? Maybe 1 to 2 weeks depends on how my writing progress.

 

Ouch! Shit!

I opened my eyes and tried to get up. My head was ringing.

When I looked at my wrists, I saw how thick steel chains were attached to it.

"You woke up! Are you all right?"

I looked at the source of the voice. A young man at the same age as Dario was sitting in a cell next to me. He was wearing beautiful clothes, which I could recognize despite all the dirt. His hair and face were also dirty, and it seemed to me that he had been trapped here for several days.

"And you're?"

"Do you prefer who or what?"

"Who?"

“I am Athem, and you?"

"Eris. What about the creature? What is its name?"

I pointed to the little creature that was sitting under Athem's coat.

"This is Irono."

"You know that "Irono" is a shapeshifter?"

"Was it so obvious?"

“For me? Yes, and I know that you are human. Probably a noble.”

"...yes... how did you recognize it?"

"First of all, your clothes, even if they are dirty, they look too fancy for ordinary people."

“But could I have been a rich trader? What is the second reason?”

"The second is that my request from the guild is to find a missing nobleman."

“So are you from the guild? What about your comrades?”

"At the watchtower... I could infiltrate the shapeshifters..."

"Why should a werebeast rabbit do this?"

"Huh?"

"What is? Did I say something strange?”

I shook my head.

"No, not at all, but since when have werebeast rabbits a horn?"

I went over my horn with my hands.

"Uh!?"

"Well, I'm not what you thought."

I laughed at his startled face.

"Are we coming back to us, Irono?"

"Irono won't talk to you."

"Why that?"

"They cut out Irono's tongue."

"Who was that?"

"The shapeshifters here."

"What!?"

Wait a moment!? Didn't Sim tell me something at the beginning!? Right! They were looking for someone else who was traveling with the noble!

“Was Irono with you already on the way to Astel?”

"...How do you know this?"

"He was the target."

"She!"

"She?"

“Irono is a woman!”

“Uh, ok. She was the real goal. Why was she actually with you?”

“We met in a village many years ago. She was in the same village as me when I was traveling through the land. We both met in an Inn because the rain was too heavy and-.”

"Stop! If this is some love story, please leave it! Just tell me why she was with you on the way to Astel? ”

"She's been living with me for half a year."

“So she no longer lives in the village, what did the others-.”

"Knock Knock. Erika, guess who is there for you.”

We were interrupted. It was Sim who came into the room. He had a grin on his face.

"A bastard who pulls a shitty arrogant face?"

Just watching his face made me want to hit him into the face.

"Haha! Good joke. You are the last, so let's get started.”

"The last?"

“Eris, they already killed everyone else! None of my guards is alive!”

"Don't worry. You two will follow them shortly and in a huge spectacle!"

He went closer to the prison of Athem and Irono.

“Irono, it's your choice! Do you want to die with these two, or do you want to live!”

Irono's small body trembled and clung to Athem even more.

*Tch*

“Then die with them. Guards!"

A dozen men in full gear stormed into the room.

"Take them to the scaffold."

Six men dragged me out of the cell because the other 6 took care of Athem.

 

===

 

Athem and I were roughly dragged across the stone floor.

Sim strutted in front of us and whistled happily to himself. He suddenly stopped and started talking to us.

“You know, today we set a beacon for every shapeshifter. This beacon is the start of our time. We will shake the worlds of humans and other races until nothing is left of their cultures!”

"That sounds like a new Transformers film. I've never liked them!"

Huh !? Where did that come from?

“What nonsense are you talking about? What should this “transvormarsvilm” be?”

"Oh, whatever! You sound like a megalomaniac. ”

"It may be, but that doesn't change anything that will happen to you."

The raging and cheering mass made an alley for Sim and the guards. The mass gave us contemptuous looks as if we were just trash.

Sad! This world is no better than my old one... the only difference is that people openly despise you and not in the anonymity of the internet.

"Make room, people!"

Sim send the mass further back because the rear crowd kept pushing the others forward.

Two stakes had been set up in front of the scaffold.

Burn? Oh, God…

“So you three, have fun and enjoy the show. After all, you are the main attraction!”

Sim bowed to us and disappeared into the crowd. The man on the scaffold raised his voice.

"Today! Today, my friends, we will end our existence in the shadow! Today we will declare war against the humans!”

Another madman!

"My friends! I dream of a world in which we rule! We are referred to by humans as monsters! We are being hunted! BUT! But today, we will rise! From today on, humans will be the monsters, and we will hunt and kill them! As well as all those traitors!”

He indicated Athem and Irono.

"Today, we let them burn!"

"Ehem! Sorry, OH, great lord.”

I disturb his speech.

“But I don't know why a piece of shit as big as you think that violence will change anything. Take a look at how many you are? 100 maybe 200 people? How many Humans do you think there are? 30? 40? The Kingdom of Egoss will send a force to crush you, and they will not distinguish between "good" and "bad" shapeshifters.”

"Silence, you freak!"

"Sure, if you're at a loss for words, you just need to start and offensive others, typical idiots style."

"I said silence!"

I found his reactions funny, and I also found it shocking how the guards just let me keep talking.

"Guards! At stake with her!”

“Oh, too kind! I was getting cold!”

"Yes, Yes! Just keep talking, but that won't help you either!”

“You heard it! He allowed me to talk! You all! I don’t know why you buy these shit, he uttered. He is a mountain of shit, but what he dreams of is no freedom for shapeshifters, he will only lead you to your death and the death of your families!”

"Burnt her!"

He was screaming in anger!

Athem was also attached to the stake next to me. They removed the chains from both of us and tied us to the posts with ropes.

When I was fastened, a guard came with a torch.

"Come on, light them, damn!"

The guard frightened and followed the order. He threw the torch to my feet.

The dried branches quickly caught fire, and the flames spread further.

"Oh no! I will burn!”

I couldn't help but be sarcastic.

The flames grew bigger and bigger, and 50% of my body was wrapped in the flames.

In the distance, I felt that many presences were getting closer and closer to our position.

It looks like Isaak came back with reinforcements. I should also start moving. I can't wait any longer.

I concentrated my mana and tried to control the flames.

The fire started to whip and make waves. I began to take control of the flames and was hiding my body behind them.

"Come on!"

Contrary to expectations, I had the flames under control, but I couldn't put the fire out.

What now?

I thought of something from a series.

I concentrated the flames into a small ball, just the size of a marble. I threw it into my mouth and swallowed it.

The idea seemed better to me, but when I did, I just thought, How stupid am I!?

The concentrated flames were raging inside me now.

To my surprise, a window opened.

((Fire immunity) mutates to (flame eater))

The description of the ability was also below.

((Flame Eater) is my mutated type of (fire immunity), in which the user is not only immune to fire but can also absorb fire or flames in order to restore his vitality or to let it temporarily exceed the limit.)

Eris Dragneel! Hahaha!

I activated (Phoenix Inferno) and turned the stake and the ropes that tied me to ashes.

I could still give a stupid quote, but I should rather save Athem and Irono.

Before anyone could react, I attacked the guard with the torch. He wanted to light the stake of Athem.

(Finster strike)

A huge black claw appeared next to each of my hands.

"Showtime!"

With my right claw, I aimed at the arm in which the guard was holding the torch.

The guard managed to avoid my blow, but only partially because he had only prevented me from severing his arm. He let go of the handle of the torch when he dodged my attack. I reached for it with my left hand and, at the same time, let me move my hand so that the claw flew against the guard and threw him back.

He flew and crashed into the first rows of the masses, some of which were still stunned.

"Hui looks delicious."

I absorbed the torch's flames and put it flames out.

"Now, to you."

I turned to Athem so I could free him.

"Stand still."

Something flashed in the corner of my eyes.

A blade?

“Turn around, slowly!”

I slowly turned and looked at Sim.

"And now?"

“So much potential and all wasted…”

"I agree with you that so many who could make life in the village more enjoyable are stooges of a few crazy bastards."

"This arrogance until the end."

"The narcissistic until the end."

"On the knee."

“What if I refuse? So what? A bitter duel of life and death?”

"Looks like."

*Tara*

Trumpets sounded in the distance.

"Huh? It looks like that. Someone wanted to save you.”

“I don't think they're here because of me. But you shouldn't care because you are dying here!”

He swung his sword at me. I reacted by holding my left claw in front of the sword.

Both collided, his blow was thrown back, and my claw disintegrated.

He didn't hesitate for a second and changed direction. He tried to stab my chest with a quick stab, but I followed his movements and parried the attack with my right claw.

His prick went and pierced into the inside of the claw. The force from his prick was neutralized, and my claw disappeared.

"After your claws, it's your turn now."

"Try it."

If only I had Golden Spark...

"Oh, do you miss this one?"

Sim showed me my complete fanny pack, including my dagger.

"Oh good you found it, I thought I lost it. I'll pick it later from you.”

(Phoenix strike)

My forearms were surrounded by fire.

"Come."

I provoked him with shorthand movements.

"Gladly!"

He ran towards me with his sword raised and ready to swing onto me.

I concentrated my mana in my left forearm. The flames started to whip, and the otherwise yellow-orange color became white.

He swung his sword down onto me.

I hope that's enough.

I held up my left hand to block his sword.

The flames hit the steel of the sword.

My hand cut through the steel like butter, dividing the blade in two.

Yes!

Regardless of the split blade, he continued swinging his sword and aiming at my right shoulder.

I couldn't react fast enough, and his sword hit my shoulder. I cursed in pain inside, but used his attack and attacked him too.

With my right hand, I grabbed his forearm with which he held the sword. The flames immediately jumped over to his clothes. He tried to pull his sword away, but I didn't let him.

He took other measures, his body lit up and changed its shape. He turned into a giant bird. Now and then, lightning appeared on the bird's body.

Maybe a thunder hawk?

The traces of the burn were still visible on his right-wing.

"You can't escape."

(Phoenix Fire)! (Phoenix Fire)! (Phoenix Fire)!

I repeatedly shot (Phoenix fire) at him.

He was able to avoid the first ones entirely, but he was unable to avoid the later ones completely and was hit by some (Phoenix fire).

He lost his balance and had to land.

His hard landing whirled up a cloud of dust. He wanted to change into something else again, but I couldn't see at first glance through the cloud to identify what appearance he takes.

When the cloud subsided, he was gone, and only a small hole remained.

That ass wants to go away! Not with me! (Phoenix Fire)! (Phoenix Fire)! (Phoenix Fire)!

I kept shooting (Phoenix fire) into the hole. My vision turned bluish like the exam in the mercenary guild, and everything around me slowed down.

A spot not far from me suddenly got red-colored, and a short moment later, something arrow-shaped shot out of the ground.

It missed my head but brushed against the left side of my face.

"Ah!"

I immediately held my face with my left hand. With the right eye, I searched for the object that had hit me, but I couldn't find anything that matched the description.

 Again a spot on the floor turned red. This time I reacted immediately and shot (Phoenix fire) at precisely this position.

The object shot out of the ground and collided with the (Phoenix fire). It immediately went up in flames and fell to the ground.

I looked at the object... It was a worm and not an object.

I used (appraisal) only to find out that except for the name, everything else was filled with question marks. The name was, of course, Sim because he was the worm.

I didn't know how much of his HP reminded, but I didn't think of many. I was about to grab him when he jumped up, and the tip of his long body bored into my right eye.

"AHH!!"

I screamed in pain and more from a reflex, my left hand grabbed his body and yanked him away from me. This reflex could prevent worse damage, but my right eye had been pierced...

One last time did I use (Phoenix fire). Sim's worm's body burned brightly in my hand, and all of his efforts to transform or free himself didn't work.

A moment later, his body crumbled to ashes.

(Sim (Psychic Shapeshifter) has been defeated - 50 XP received.)

"Eris"

Athem's voice came from the side.

I covered my right eye socket with my right hand and looked over at him with my left eye.

"Hey, you are fine!?"

"What are you asking!? It was you who saved Irono and my life if you hadn't started the fight we would already be burned alive!”

"Thank you."

I forced a tired smile on my face.

"Can you walk?"

“My legs are a little weak, but it should work. My vision is impaired, that will be a bigger problem for me.”

"We can do it, come on I'll support you."

He reached under my arms and pulled me across the battlefield.

Without having noticed anything, the wildest creatures were fighting against each other or humans against monsters.

No matter how astonishing and at the same time cruel the spectacle was, I couldn't concentrate on it, because my vision was blurred again and again by the blood.

The figures around us became fewer and fewer until I saw no one.

"Eris!"

Isaak's approached me.

"She is exhausted. She has to rest!"

"Naturally!"

Someone grabbed me and carried me in his arms.

“You can rest now! Leave the rest to us. You've done enough!”

My eyes grew heavy, and despite the pain, I fell asleep.

 

I choose to call this chapter at first "Shapeshifter war," but thanks to the suggestion from @DcDragon, I changed it to the current name.

32