2 – Splitting Headaches in the New World
148 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tess woke up with a migraine and a strange box in front of her. One of those was much more pressing than the other.

“Gah, my head,” she groaned.

The last thing she remembered was that territorial mountain lion and—

“The landslide,” she muttured.

Tess stood, quickly recalling the training she’d gotten. Stay alert, landslides happen at a moment’s—

She stared. Unfamiliar greenery grew all around her on a flat forest as far as she could see. Trees with broad leaves blocked a glowing yellow sun, the light spilling through in golden lines. Something was off about the light, but a lot of things were off. The flowering vegetation was the wrong colors, the tree bark was slightly off-brown, and even the dirt had an odd yellowish tinge that was unfamiliar.

It didn’t make any sense, Tess knew she had been on a trail in the Rockies. There wasn’t a forest like this near her.

That was when the box thrust itself into her vision.

Heyyyyyyy…

 

Listen, I’m real sorry about the headache! It turns out interdimensional travel isn’t the easiest thing in the world. (Who knew?)

 

You’re probably pretty confused. That’s understandable!

 

Here’s the thing. You got all caught up in a landslide back on Earth, which would have put you six feet under in both a literal and figurative sense.

HOWEVER!

 

I wasn’t about to let your story end there, oh no! You see, I haven’t found someone like you for a long time. (Between you and me, being the god of interesting things isn’t easy.) So instead of letting you die and lose out on all the interesting things you’ll do in your life, I decided to bring you over to this world!

 

Tess rubbed her eyes, then her temples.

“I’m hallucinating,” she said. “I’ve been hit in the head wrong, and now I see boxes of text and strange forests.”

The box vanished, only to be replaced by a new one.

Nope! No hallucinations here! This here is a grade A, gen-u-ine, portal event! I brought you over from Earth to here!

 

You’re going to love it! This place is filled with all kinds of fun stuff! I caught a glimpse of orcs (well, you would call them orcs) in robes flying on swords! And there are these Genasi (Jenasi? I’m still not sure on that. Elemental people if that helps.) in robes casting things like fireball and earthquake!

 

My favorite though are the Tieflings (Every color of the rainbow, baby! None of that boring human skin tones with some red variations.) They’re shamans of some sort and summon helpers to do things for them!

 

Tess slapped herself, trying to see if the pain could wake her up. All she got for the trouble was a stinging cheek. She stayed calm even as the panic inside her rose. She was good at staying calm.

First off, find things she can control.

Tess looked down. She still had her clothes, so that was good. Staying warm was important for survival. And there was the can of bear spray on her belt. Her firearm holster was empty, but she hadn’t brought that with her on the search. She’d still brought her knife, however, which was sitting snug in its sheath. Beside it sat a clip pouch with matches and water tablets. The day pack clipped to her waist still had all her equipment: a flashlight, a compass, her watch, a signal mirror, her radio, a small water bottle, and sunglasses.

The radio produced static no matter how many channels Tess switched to. That was alright, signals were often spotty in the mountains. There was still a chance she was on Earth and had people searching for her. She kneeled down, unhooking her equipment and arranging it in front of her on the ground just to make sure she hadn’t missed anything.

Everything except the signal mirror was in good shape. Tess frowned. The mirror was unfortunately cracked through the middle, which did confirm that she had been through a tumble of some kind.

Another box appeared in her vision.

If you’re done, I have a few things to share with you.

 

Since you aren’t from this world, I know things will be difficult. That’s why I’ve crafted a very special package just for you!

 

Just think ‘status’ and you can see what I mean!

 

Tess scoffed. As if she would think status just because—

 

 

Name

Tess a.k.a The Most Badass Human

HP 100/100

Experience

300

Level

2

MP 100/100

SP 100/100

Attributes

Force

Reflex

Constitution

Memory

Charisma

10

10

10

10

10

Number of Skill Slots Available

 

 

 

 

1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

2

1

0

0

0

Handy Dandy Fancy Stat Cheat Sheet!!!
Force Reflex Constitution Memory Charisma          
The horsepower to your horseplay! The brawn to your brawn! You show off that strength! Ain’t no one gonna catch these hands! Keep those fingers moving and that aim steady. With this, you can totally have that third slice of pie. Along with that poisonous wine, that chalky bread, and anything else that fits in your stomach. If this world had quiz games you’d be the master! As long as you master this attribute of course. Service with a smile? How about service with a flourish and bow! This is how you get on people’s good sides.          
Effective for hitting things, the higher the harder. 1 Force lets you exert 1 more Newton of max force. Effective for dodging and shooting. 1 Reflex lets you hold your aim steady for 1 more second Effective for when you eat all that nasty food in the wild. 1 Con lets you eat 1 mg more of dangerous food. Effective for remembering spells and other thinky things. 1 Memory lets you remember 1 more page in a book. Effective for when you have to talk to people or follow social customs. 1 Charisma lets 1 more person look at you favorably.          

“Dang it,” Tess said.

The status box vanished after about a minute, replaced by more conversational text from the supposed god who had pulled her across dimensions.

Pretty great, right? This here is going to make sure that you don’t die prematurely in the new world! (I’m very proud of this, I spent all of 5 minutes on it!)

 

Now, I’m sure you’re wondering about the skill slots. Just think ‘skills’ and bring up the menu!

 

Sighing, Tess thought the word, skills. Best to get the hallucinations out of the way so she could get back to focusing on survival.

ROLL

1 Star Skills

Expand

2 Star Skills

Expand

3 Star Skills

Expand

4 Star Skills

Expand

5 Star Skills

Expand

 

A second box appeared over the skill list.

This is the best part, by the way! That big button at the top? That’s what you select to get new skills! I based it off one of your Earth games. Spend your collected experience points here to gain new skills! Your base roll is 10 experience and will get you a skill of any star level!

As I’m sure you’ve guessed, higher stars means better skills! But don’t count lower skills out yet! Oftentimes skills will have extra abilities to unlock!

As a special bonus, I’ve granted you 300 experience to make sure you’re level 2. It’s not interesting if you only start with a single 1-star skill. Buuuuut to make up for that, your first roll will cost all 300 experience and grant you two 1-star and a 2-star skill!

Just press it with your mind when you’re ready!

“This is insane,” Tess said.

Insanely fun!

Great, now the boxes were talking back. Tess had never heard of a GACHA game, but all these boxes looked like the RPG video games friends of hers played. She’d gotten sucked into a few, mainly the simulations like Stardew Valley. So she knew how to navigate the character sheet. But all this sounded like the Roguelikes one of her coworkers liked to play.

Roger had shown her his current game one day while the two were relaxing.

“It’s all about managing randomness,” he’d said.

Tess remembered making a face. She hated randomness. She liked steady progression in her entertainment. There was already enough randomness in her job. She felt herself making the same face again.

A noise to her side pulled the woman’s focus.

Tess whipped her head around as a nearby bush rustled. Quietly, she picked up her knife and bear spray. Her knees unbent until she was in a low crouch, ready to face whatever appeared.

Is it the first encounter already?!?! Let’s go!!!

Announcement

Alright! Taking submissions for powers! I shall keep the form open until the end of the week and then close it until next month!

There is a backlog of chapters so it might take a couple weeks for powers to start appearing.

LINK: https://forms.gle/eq4BKAEVWennPGmj8

Join my Discord to talk with me some more!

6