10 – Twenty Questions
55 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tess sighed in relief, grateful that the first person she met seemed understanding. “Thank you.”

“No trouble,” Mirari answered. “However, I would like to ask why you were in the northern Kalbas wood.”

“You wouldn’t believe the story,” Tess said.

Mirari smiled, Tess noticing multiple laugh lines on the man’s face. “I’ve heard a number of impossible tales in my time.”

“Trust me,” Tess answered dryly. “I don’t even believe my story.”

Mirari sat down next to Tess. “Then how about this? Let me take you to a friend’s home. You can wash up with her, get a hot meal, and then we can discuss everything.”

Tess’s mouth watered at the thought of a properly cooked meal. A flash of doubt ran through Tess’s mind. It was possible Mirari had ulterior motives. But, Tess was tired, and wanted to trust the kind smile on the man’s face.

And there was always the fact that she could use these new powers if anything happened.

She nodded. “Mirari, you’ve got yourself a deal.”

Mirari laughed as Tess hopped off the stone. “Good to know that good food and good health is universal.”

“You wouldn’t believe how long it’s been since I had a good meal,” Tess answered.

Mirari started walked, leading the way as the land and river sloped downward. “I’d say a good amount of days. Possibly… seven or so?”

Tess stopped in surprise. “That’s actually close. How did you do that?”

The Jejende tapped his nose. “You could say I have a nose for these things.”

Tess made a face before sniffing her clothes. “Please don’t tell me you can smell it.”

Mirari laughed again, his voice carrying in the wind. “Unfortunately for you, yes. I’m from the Aire caste. The wind is our friend and helper, even if others wish that wasn’t always the case.”

“Caste?” Tess asked, uncertain if she heard correctly.

The man nodded. “All Jejende are born from the elements. Earth, water, air, and fire. We are made from each element in the image of our creator, Laubat. He grants us dominion over our affinity and in turn we work to sustain his creation.”

“I see,” Tess said. “So are you some kind of hunter?”

If Mirari noticed Tess’s abrupt change in topic, he didn’t show it. “I am an adventurer for Gimu Ortzi’s lands. My job is to perform the tasks that others can’t.”

“That doesn’t really answer the question,” Tess said.

“It’s quite a broad question,” Mirari answered. “Besides, we are here. Welcome to Ortzerri, Tess.”

Mirari gestured to a series of wooden roofs in the distance downhill. The buildings resembled the log cabins Tess had seen from old frontier museums. The only difference was the materials. This town looked to use smaller logs, and as they walked closer Tess noticed the smaller logs were somehow woven together.

At the center of the village sat a stone fortress twice as tall as the houses. Nestled next to it rested a bell tower. The rest of the village had built itself around these two structures, packing near the buildings like sardines in a can.

Dun dundun dun dun dun dunnnnn! 500 xp earned! Spend it wisely!

Oh! That also makes you level three! You get new equip slots!

 

Tess’s status screen opened unprompted.

 

Name Tess a.k.a The Most Badass Human
HP 100/100 MP 100/100 SP 100/100  
Experience 1150 Level 3
Attributes
Force Reflex Constitution Memory Charisma
10 10 10 10 10
Number of Skill Slots Available
1 Star 2 Star 3 Star 4 Star 5 Star
3 1 1 1 0

 

You see that? You have more skill slots to put skills into! You should roll for them!

 

Tess dismissed the boxes, taking her first look at the town ahead of her.

Quaint was the first word that came to mind. Lively was the second. All manner of Jejende sat outside, performing various tasks or making small talk. Tess saw a group of five spreading out large blankets on wires while a group of children ducked around them in a game of tag. Further out, a few older men were helping a family repair a thatched roof.

Tess whistled as one of the men jumped straight over the roof, dropping some materials off for the one up top.

“A nice place, no?” Mirari said.

“It’s a nice town,” Tess answered.

Mirari smiled at the compliment. “Come, Esti will have some extra room for you tonight. Then, we can discuss what brought you to our humble lands.”

Tess followed as Mirari led her through the main square, attracting the attention of everyone outside.

“Picked up another stray, Mirari?” someone asked.

The man waved to the voice. “Don’t be rude, Unai! Or else I’ll stop bringing you those pelts you ask for.”

A few children rushed up to the two. The smallest one grabbed Mirari’s leg. “Mirari, Mirari! Juggle!”

The Jejende laughed, scooping the kid up in his arms. “Not today, Argi. I have a guest to entertain.”

“Juggle them too!” Another kid said.

“I don’t think she’d appreciate the offer,” Mirari answered. He put the child back on the ground, much to his chagrin.

“You’re well liked,” Tess said after they’d left the square.

Mirari shrugged. “I only try to give back what was given to me. Now, wait a moment.”

The adventurer walked to a nearby house, knocking on the door once before opening it. Tess heard Mirari’s calm voice call out. “Esti! I’ve brought you a guest!”

“My ears aren’t dead, you loudmouth!” Tess heard from behind the house.

“I take it I can bring them inside?” Mirari asked.

“Of course you can, you impatient brat.”

 Mirari poked his head out the door. “Alright, come on in.”

Tess raised an eyebrow but stepped inside. She was greeted with a cool, refreshing breeze coming from a stone in the center of the room.

“I take it you like the coolstone,” Mirari stated.

“It’s amazing,” Tess answered.

She hadn’t realized how hot she’d been until the cool breeze had hit her. In fact, she hadn’t realized how swelteringly humid everything had been as well. Tess sighed in relief, feeling refreshed.

“Come,” Mirari gestured to a woven mat on the floor, “have a seat.”

Tess accepted, taking in the room as she moved. It was a singular room, but sectioned off with various wooden folding panels. Someone had burned elegant patterns into each plank and painted them with various colors, adding a splash of life to the otherwise brown home. One separated what looked to be a bedroom from the main room, while another blocked off the kitchen. Between both sat another door leading outside.

“Alright, now who’ve you brought this time?” the voice from before asked.

It was a strong voice, but tinged with age and smoke. Tess looked over to the open door to see an old woman with fiery red hair and eyes. Her skin was the same muted gray as Mirari’s, but tinged with a sunset instead of a cloudy sky.

“Four in One!” the woman exclaimed. “She’s pink!”

Tess scowled. “And you’re redder than a tomato. What of it?”

Mirari laughed. “Ah, Esti. Blunt as always.”

Esti looked at the adventurer. “I see you haven’t lost that smile yet working out in the woods.”

“And I never will, Esti.”

“Hmph,” the woman said. “Now, then.”

She turned to Tess. “Who’s this one?”

“A guest that needs a good meal and a good wash,” Mirari said. “Found her stomping out of the unmanaged part of the Kalbas wood.”

“I see,” Esti said. “Right then. Meal or wash first?”

Tess blinked. “Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

The woman looked between Esti and Mirari. “Shouldn’t you two be like… a little bit more suspicious?”

“Bah,” Esti said. “If you were a threat Mirari would have killed you before you stepped foot in the town. The man has a surprising knack for knowing who to bring in.”

An easy smile formed on Mirari’s face. “It’s the eyes.”

“Mounds it is,” Esti said. “It’s some Naturalist magic and you won’t convince me otherwise.”

Tess found herself relaxing as Esti and Mirari continued their friendly bickering. She felt her eyes starting to droop as the exhaustion hit all at once. She tried to blink the sleep away, but that only made it worse. Finally, her eyes closed and stayed shut.

3