25 – Triumphant Returns
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Mamlan wobbled, Alai’s arrow buried firmly in the monster’s soft joint. Tess’s Fairy Light skill flickered through the cave, the sprite erratically bouncing around as if it struggled to stay afloat.

At least this time it wasn’t shouting at her in a high-pitched voice.

“Come on,” Tess said to the young man. “Let’s leave before this monster recovers.”

Alai nodded, grabbing Tess’s outstretched hand and standing. He stumbled, his hurt ankle giving out.

“Easy there,” Tess said, grabbing him.

“Mirari, make sure this last monster isn’t going to chase us,” Tess requested.

Mirari nodded, conjuring a slicing wind that bit into more of the Mamlan’s leg joints. The Jejende then came to Alai’s other side, helping walk him out of the cave.

Once they reached the hole leading outside, Tess tied Alai to the rope, then climbed up with Mirari to help pull their charge.

“I can get up myself,” Alai protested, the embarrassment of everything making him obstinate.

“Be my guest,” Tess said. “But get used to using a cane for the rest of your life.”

That got Alai to quiet down.

Wow, that was such an anticlimactic fight. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I knew you would win! I just expected more from the bugs?

Anyway! You got 100xp for that! Enough for a few skills, but not a lot.

Tess dismissed the boxes with a grunt. She had more important things to focus on. Like the hundred-pound spoiled brat tied to the end of the rope. Luckily, a few minutes of focus was all it took to pull Alai over the hole’s edge. The pack animal chuffed happily, glad to see its owner safe.

“Alright, that’s enough excitement for one day. Let’s get you home so you can get that foot looked at,” Tess said.

“But—”

Tess’s glare stopped Alai’s protest.

Mirari chuckled. “I see you’ve finally learned a bit of wisdom, young Gimu.”

Tess rolled her eyes.

The trio made it back to the city just as the evening bell rang. Alai sulked atop the pack animal, his ankle bandaged tightly.

“Everyone’s going to laugh at me,” he complained. “What Gimu comes back from hunting with a hurt ankle?”

“A living one,” Tess answered coolly. “Besides, most people are too caught up in their own lives to think about others. I doubt anyone will notice.”

And Tess was right, the city had no interest in Alai or his hurt foot. However, there seemed to be a tension that wasn’t there when the three had left earlier. The villagers had on stern faces, and Tess saw many of the males gathering at taverns with somber faces.

“Odd,” Tess said to Mirari. “What’s making everyone so upset?”

Mirari frowned. “I’m not sure.”

They arrived at the Gimu’s gates in time to see Alai’s father walk out with Zuzen and various other officials.

“Father!” Alai called out. “What’s going on?”

“The Kemuns are gearing for a fight,” the Gimu answered. “They claim we stole lumber from their territory.”

“How dare they!” Alai cried out. “The woods are our territory, given to us by the Agint himself!”

Ortzi nodded. “Which is why we’re gearing up for a skirmish, son. The Kemuns demanded we either pay with a lumber camp or they shall take it.”

“I shall ride out with you,” Alai stated.

“Absolutely not!” Gimu Ortzi answered.

“Sire, perhaps you are too hasty?” Zuzen said.

Tess’s eyes narrowed at the slimy look he gave Alai.

The priest continued his conversation. “The Kemuns often threaten our borders, but never do more than test our troops. This would be the perfect time to teach young Alai the rigors of battle.”

The officials around Ortzi all nodded. “He will need this experience at some point,” one said.

“I will not risk my only heir,” the Gimu stated.

“What risk could there be?” Zuzen asked. “Your loyal troops will stand beside him, and we could even hire the great adventurer Mirari here for protection.”

Tess looked between Zuzen and the Gimu. Alai’s father didn’t seem convinced, but the rest of the officials were. As well as Alai, Tess saw.

She opened her mouth to say something, but Mirari placed a hand on her shoulder and shook his head.

“Father, Zuzen is correct. I must learn war at some point,” Alai said.

“I’m teaching you war, boy,” the Gimu said, his voice tinged with annoyance. “You will not go with the army, not while I lead.”

“But—”

“No complaints, Alai,” the Gimu said. “Your mother would ruin me if I let you get into more danger than you already do.”

Alai paused at those words. No one could argue against mother.

“It’s settled,” Gimu Ortzi said. “Now, let us prepare the troops and talk strategy. We’ll need to move fast to prevent needless death.”

Tess watched the group leave, a sigh escaping her lips.

“This isn’t fair,” Alai complained.

Tess rolled her eyes as walked inside.

Quest complete! 100xp for you!


Priest Zuzen paced back and forth in front of the altar, biting his nails in annoyance. The nerve of the Gimu, to refuse his sound advice. It seemed the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Alai had been equally impossible to convince.

And he was infatuated with a woman that wasn’t even Jejende!

Zuzen could tolerate the boy’s strange obsession with that Aire caste adventurer, but loving someone outside a caste bordered on blasphemy.

The priest would have to do something about this. He would need to put Alai back onto the correct path.

And he needed to restore his standing with the Gimu.

Zuzen tore a nail from his finger as he paced.

He needed to find some way to force the casteless woman into this skirmish. It would be the easiest way to dispose of her without suspicion. Unfortunately, the battle wouldn’t be more than a thousand troops on each side. Kemun had a habit of raiding the forest under the pretense of logging rights. In reality the skirmish was likely a response to the increased wood prices. Kemun was a seafaring nation, and the wood was important for their boats.

Not an important enough fight to call adventurers forth. Not unless Zuzen wanted an actual war on his hands.

Adventurers were like grand spells, great at escalating combat and terrible at calming it.

Zuzen continued to pace, his scheming mind attempting to come up with excuses. But the fact was that if the Gimu went out, then Alai would never be allowed.

The priest stopped. Say the Gimu was unable to sally forth tomorrow? Well, there had to be someone who oversaw the troops, and the only one ready at a moment’s notice was Alai. The boy was of age.

The plan started to form in Zuzen’s mind. The priest knew the Gimu had a drinking problem, and it would be a simple matter to grow it. Then, he could suggest Alai take control. Zuzen would graciously offer to hire mercenaries with the church’s coin, along with that Aire caste and the woman. With so much protection, the Gimu would have to agree. And if not, the officials would pressure him to accept.

A wicked smile passed across the gaunt priest’s face for a moment before he snuffed it like a spent candle. He was a pious man, and heavy emotions were unbecoming.

The priest set out, his plan in mind, all the while unaware of the statue looking down on him.


“I truly don’t understand how they can turn to wickedness like this.”

Well, Lauby, it’s simple. Zuzen here thinks that because he worships you, he’s better than everyone.

“I specifically said that is not the case in my teachings.”

Yeah… See, people have a habit of twisting things to fit their mindset. It can be terrible sometimes, but it can get pretty interesting. Did you know there’s churches on Earth that use snakes to perform miracles? Some go as far as to let themselves be bitten!

“This Earth sounds deadful.”

Hey now! It’s not that bad. Tess is from there! And they have so many interesting things! I’ve never seen a world with so many interesting stories.

But enough about Earth! We’ve got some spying to do!

“I wouldn’t call omniscience spying.”

You wouldn’t call it a lot of things, but that doesn’t change what it is! Besides, it’s super useful when watching everything unfold. Like, take a look at Zuzen here. He’s added just a biiiiit of a bad herb into the Gimu’s drink. Not enough to kill him, but enough to make him dreadfully sick before the sortie. He’s a devious priest, that one. He’s even going ahead and bribing various mercenaries in the city to work as an ‘honor guard’ for dear old Alai.

“And yet he still believes I will forgive him?”

Eh, I don’t think he’s thinking that far to be honest. But enough about this guy! The main thing is, he’s roping Tess into all of this! I can’t wait to see what she does.

1