26 – Marching Along
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tess awoke the next morning to Mirari’s gentle shaking.

“We’re needed,” he said.

Tess groaned, popping a few stiff joints as she stood. “Please tell me you have coffee here? Hot drink that wakes you up?”

“The tea is hot,” Mirari answered. “But I can’t say if it will wake you.”

“Better than nothing,” Tess mumbled. She grabbed the clay mug from Mirari, sipping it as she cleaned up.

“So, what’s the trouble?” Tess asked as she finished the last of her drink.

Mirari took Tess’s mug when she finished. “The Gimu has come down with sickness and the others are pushing for Alai to lead. We have been asked to accompany him.”

“What?” Tess asked. “Mirari, they’re about to go to war. You can’t honestly be thinking of accepting.”

“It isn’t a war, merely a skirmish,” Mirari argued.

Tess groaned. “You are. Jesus Christ, of course you are. Why in the world would you even think of agreeing?”

Mirari looked at Tess. “You would ask I risk Alai’s death?”

Tess frowned. “That’s not what I’m saying and you know it.”

Mirari sighed. “Tess, I understand if you do not wish to come. This will be dangerous, possibly more dangerous than anything you’ve encountered in the woods. But I will not sit by while people might need help.”

“And what if you need help?” Tess asked, her voice hot. “What if you end up sacrificing yourself because Alai was an idiot who ran onto the battlefield first? And don’t say it won’t come to that. We both know you’d do it if you felt there wasn’t another option.”

“It won’t come to that,” Mirari stated.

Tess threw her hands into the air. “You’re like talking to a brick wall sometimes, you know that? How is it your life matters so little while everyone else’s is sacred? What about people you would leave behind? Esti?”

Me? Tess thought. She didn’t say it aloud. Because how could she explain the feelings she had right now? Mirari was one of the few people she knew in this new world, and he wasn’t anything like her other constant companion. Novus grated on her nerves, while Mirari kept her mind at ease. She couldn’t lose another person so soon. Not after losing her entire life on Earth.

Thoughts of old friends and coworkers attempted to overwhelm Tess. She pushed the thoughts away, instead steeling her eyes to chide Mirari.

“You can’t save everyone, Mirari. Trying to do so is a fool’s errand.”

“I still choose to go,” Mirari said. “I understand what you’re saying, but I also cannot help my nature. I would be unable to live if I refused to help someone who needed it.”

He gave Tess a weak smile before turning to leave.

“Hold on!” Tess barked. “You aren’t ending the conversation there, buddy.”

“Tess,” Mirari said. “We’re obviously both stubborn people. Neither of us will yield the argument. I’m sure you know nothing you could say would convince me not to join the skirmish.”

“I know,” Tess said. “But you’re wrong about one thing. I’m not as stubborn as you. If you’re going to go, I’m going to go. Someone has to keep you from making dumb decisions.”

Mirari snorted. “Spoken like someone who didn’t almost burn a forest down.”

“Hey, I made sure you had a way to prevent it beforehand,” Tess argued.

Tess grabbed her pack, slinging it over her shoulders. “Alright, lead the way.”


“Thank you again for taking this, Mirari,” The Gimu’s wife said.

Tears filled the woman’s eyes. “Please, keep Alai safe.”

Mirari laid a hand on the woman’s shoulder. “Do not worry. He will come home safe and sound. Just make sure the Gimu is healthy by his return.”

“Oh, you do not have to worry about that,” the Gimu’s wife answered. “He won’t be touching another drop of alcohol after yesterday. He should have known better as well, the doctor’s have warned him about his liver. It’s probably all the bad influences from the officials. They always want to invite him out for celebratory drinks. Vipers, the lot of them. I have half a mind—”

“Mother!” Alai’s voice interrupted. “How do I look?”

Everyone turned to see the young Gimu striding around in a set of gleaming plate armor. A long fur ponytail ran off the top of the helmet, dyed blood red. A shield in the same color with a face of some large cat was strapped to the teenager’s left arm.

Alai unsheathed the sword at his side, crouching into a fighting stance. “I’ll make sure to send the Kemuns home with tales of how Alai the Swordsmasher did them in!”

Tess snorted. Mirari gave her a disapproving look while Alai’s mother gave a polite smile to her son.

“That’s nice, dear. But my wish is you don’t see any of the fighting. One of the Jauns in the neighboring villages will be more than enough to lead the battle.”

“Your mother’s right,” Tess said. “Better to be alive.”

Alai tried to protest. “But—”

“No buts, Alai,” his mother rebuked. “You are the next leader of this city and this province of Osari. You have responsibilities to keep. Our nation of Baslura depends on us defending the northern borders. Do I make myself clear?”

Alai sighed. “Yes.”

His mother raised an eyebrow. “Yes, what?”

“Yes, mother.”

Alai’s mother nodded. “Good. Now, Mirari and Tess are your personal guard. Do not leave their sides and listen to them, understood?”

Alai gave a deeper sigh. “Yes, mother.”

Alai’s mother continued. “And Priest Zuzen has graciously offered to hire the adventurers around the city to act as extra guards for you.”

“Only the best for our young Gimu,” said Zuzen’s slimy voice.

Tess narrowed her eyes at the priest’s arrival. It was obvious that this slimeball was trying to curry favor, probably trying to force Alai to marry that cousin. Or was it the priest’s younger sister? Oh well, it didn’t matter either way.

“Thank you for this, Zuzen,” Alai’s mother said.

Zuzen bowed. “Of course, only the best for our young heir.”

Tess rolled her eyes. Alai did as well.

“Come on!” the young Gimu said. “We must depart soon.”

Alai’s mother teared up. She rushed over to her son, scooping him into a hug. “Stay safe,” she whispered.

“Mom,” Alai blushed. “Tess is watching.”

His mother looked down. “What, you can’t say goodbye to your mother?”

“It doesn’t look manly, mom,” Alai whispered. “I’ve already embarrassed myself in front of her. Twice.”

“One more time won’t hurt then, will it?” his mother answered. She squeezed him closer.

Alai flailed, attempting to escape for a moment before finally giving in. Alai’s mother gave one last squeeze, then released him.

“Look after him,” she said to Mirari.

“Do not worry,” he said.

Alai started making his way to the forming group of soldiers and adventurers. Tess and Mirari made to follow, both missing the triumphant smile on Zuzen’s face as they left.


“First, we must make our way to the nearby villages,” Alai said to the army as they marched. “The Jaun’s local forces will join us, growing our numbers enough to crush the Kemuns!”

The soldiers and adventurers cheered.

“At least he can inspire,” Tess said to Mirari as they marched. “Though, he’s too eager about this.”

“His father filled his head with grand battles. Tales of dueling heroes and powerful magics. To him, this is the beginning of his own story.”

“You’d think the Gimu would sell his son on the reality of war,” Tess said.

“I’m sure he did,” Mirari answered. “But you know how Alai is.”

Tess nodded. “That’s the truth. You know, he’s still trying to impress me.”

Mirari laughed.

“I’m serious,” Tess laughed. “He brought me a flower before we left. ‘For luck.’”

“At least our young Gimu never lets one setback stop him,” Mirari chuckled.

“I tried to refuse,” Tess said. “But he practically threw it at me.”

“Well, perhaps you shall get the chance on the march,” Mirari answered.

“Perhaps,” Tess said.

However, it turned out that marching quickly from village to village left little time for small talk. Tess found herself panting at the end of the day, surrounded by similar men and women. There weren’t many that joined from each village. Perhaps around fifty at most, but the sheer number of territories made up for it. By the end of the day, the small army of a few hundred was closer to a thousand.

The leaders of each territory formed their own group, discussing tactics with Alai as they marched. Tess decided to invest her time in rolling for skills, choosing to spend on twenty Tier 1 packages. Mostly in the hopes of growing Free to Play Unit.

 

Unarmored Movement

1

Sheep Radar

1

Silver Spoon

1

Fairy Light

1

Bat an Eye

2

Unarmored Movement

1

Spirit Regen

1

Stargazing

1

Super touch

1

Socialite

1

Let them Eat Cake!

1

Super smell

1

Puzzle Master

1

Super smell

1

Bullseye

1

Long Jump

1

Extra Air

1

Sneak Attack

1

Magic Finger Of Subjugation

4

 

Her last roll landed on something very interesting.

 

Star Level 4
Magic Finger Of Subjugation
Cost: Health 0 Mana 0 Qi 0 Other 0
Cooldown: 60  
Effect
A random fingernal turns electric blue! Touch it to something and shout, 'Subjugate!' to give them an electrifying experience! Your poor target will likely fall to the floor, stunned by your prowess. However, that finger of yours is stunned for just as long, so be careful!

It was a powerful skill, the ability to stun something by just shouting subjugate would make hunting easy, and the detriment of a stunned finger wasn’t bad. However, the Qi cost was fairly high, and would likely need more support for it to work in various settings. At the moment, Free to Play Unit was just better. A percentage buff to her skills compounded with her upgraded Ancestral Guard.

The next day was the same as the first, more travel. Tess busied herself by watching the treeline and arranging her skills when she got bored. The trees swayed hello as the army passed, the size of the group enough to deter any predators.

Tess could tell the forests along the road were well managed. The underbrush was cut away, and the trees were trimmed to ensure they grew well. Every few miles or so, the woman spotted a small shack in the woods, with a few Jejende tending to the forest around it.

The journey continued a few more days, until finally the trees thinned to a hilly plain.

“This is where we’ll do battle,” Mirari said.

“Not the trees? I thought this fight was over logging rights?” Tess asked.

Mirari nodded. “It is, but neither side would want to battle in a forest. Not enough visibility for command.”

“I see,” Tess replied.

1