27 – War is a Spectator Sport
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tess had forgotten how wide the sky looked outside of a forest. Clouds dotted the sky in large clumps, sunlight piercing through the holes in heavenly rays. Far across the plain, Tess saw lines of smoke, the obvious sign of the opposing army.

“Come,” Mirari said. “We’ll make camp on the hill.”

Tess nodded.

An eerie calm settled over the plain as both armies prepared for the coming skirmish. Tess and Mirari both felt the rising tension as everyone prepared. It settled over everyone like a blanket.

Alai seemed to be the only one unaffected.

“Those Kemuns will run in fear when they see me swing my sword,” he boasted. “Father and Mother will be so proud!”

Most of the camp couldn’t help but smile. No matter what they thought about their young lord internally, the teenager’s enthusiasm kept morale high.

“He shouldn’t treat this like a game,” Tess complained.

“No,” Mirari agreed. “But I’m not about to dampen his spirits. That will happen soon enough.”

Tess frowned. Mirari’s words cemented the fact that people were about to kill each other.

“You know, I hope he doesn’t have to fight,” Tess admitted. “I may think he’s an idiot, but no one should have to kill another person.”

Boy, you sure know how to put a damper on everything! Come on, this is exciting!

 

Tess flicked the box away. She had hoped Novus had lost interest in her, but it looked like that was only wishful thinking.

“You just say that because you aren’t down here in it,” Tess whispered under her breath.

Oh, come on! You can’t deny that a good scrap gets the heart pounding! Even better when it’s a magical scrap.

 

Tess ignored the box in favor of pitching her tent. One of these days she would have to stop reacting to the idiot god watching her.


Gooooood morning my interesting viewers! Novus coming at ya here with the latest and greatest battle between Osari and Kemun! These two provinces are borderland powerhouses that both watch over the dangerous parts of the world, fighting monsters and criminals! I’m here with my co-host, Laubat, the grand deity of all Jejende! Lauby, what are your predictions.

“This is crass, even for you, Novus.”

What? I’m just trying to spice things up for everyone! Watching a war unfold in first person is a mess of mud, steel, and blood. Nowhere near as interesting as watching with a bird’s eye view. This way we can see the various different powerhouses and all the strange and new tactics!

“New to you, you mean.”

Exactly! Now, back to our show. The two armies have both set up camp on opposing hills, a great start for both. Want to tell us why, Lauby?

“No.”

The high ground! That’s why. Everyone knows you need to take the high ground in war.

“Maybe in other worlds, but Lur Jejende are adept at controlling the earth. What’s a bit of high ground to them?”

An excellent question, co-host! And look! Just as you said, groups of Jejende from both sides have stepped out from camp and are slowly bringing the ground up for a level playing field! It seems fights here are more like chess matches than the ones on Earth!

Now, would you look at that! It seems the fighting is about to start. Both sides are arranging into formations. Osari here is in a solid block while Kemun has spread out in a looser formation.

“Kemuns are known for their prowess on water. Their tactics work similarly, flowing between gaps in formations to cause disarray. Osari on the other hand is part of Baslura, a nation of Earth. Their tactics are built on strong foundations.”

It seems Kemun is at a disadvantage then. This raised ground allows for less maneuverability.

“No, see how the Kemuns have arranged themselves. Their fresher earth casters are on the sides with strong fire casters. They plan to raise more terrain and flank with powerful burning attacks.”

And off they go! The two armies are marching forward! Left, right, left right! Oh! Looks like Alai wants to rush forward but Tess won’t let him. Look at her, holding him by metal collar on his armor like he’s a disobedient puppy!

But enough about that! The front lines have clashed! Spear and shield meets spear and shield! Surprising that such tactics haven’t died out with all the magic.

“It takes time to cast powerful magic, time that someone could use to stab with a spear. It’s also much less tiring on the person.”

Interesting! So that’s why neither flank has moved yet.

“Correct. Both sides are still preparing their magics. I see the Aire Jejende are protecting Osari’s flanks. No doubt they wish to use their superior mobility.”

And off they go! The Aire Jejende have crafted miniature tornadoes for the Kemuns to counter. And counter they do! Some Lur craft a few walls, breaking the wind on the stone. The Su Jejende are ready now with some fireballs! Things are about to get hot and heavy here!

But what’s this! Hidden Ur Jejende with prepared water shields! No crispy Osarians here today! Only an uncomfortable humidity!

Back to the center! It seems both frontlines are holding strong. Neither side can get an advantage! Oh, Alai again tried to slip away, but Tess holds on tight! It looks like the fight will come down to who has the better flanks!

Tornadoes whizz out, blocked by earth walls! Fireballs rain from the sky and umbrellas of water rise to meet them! Spear and shield clashes! By all things interesting, this is so exciting!

“The flanks are running out of power.”

What’s that Laubat?

“Casting so many spells back to back is draining. Only casters of the fourth pentagram or higher could do so reliably. Neither side would waste such power on a small skirmish.”

Are you sure? Because I’m seeing something absolutely insane building in the middle of the battlefield. A torrent of water is pouring from that man’s hands!

“I stand corrected. It seems Kemun has splurged on a famous privateer, a fifth pentagram mage.”

Oho! What’s he planning to do!

“The spell he’s casting is a water spell of the same pentagram. I believe he calls it Tidal Torrent or something. He’s collecting all the water in the area to create a large wave that will punch through the center.”

And it looks like Osari notice it as well! Already the hired mercenaries near Alai are deserting! And here comes the water!


“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Tess shouted as the adventurers around her fled.

“Cowards!” Alai shouted. “You were hired to protect me! Don’t think you can escape punishment!”

The young man threw a discarded dagger at one of the fleeing men. It landed far away from his target, bouncing into the forest.

“We need to get him out of here,” Mirari said to Tess. “The Kemuns brought a mage of the fifth pentagram. None of our forces can best him.”

Tess watched as a wave of water formed in the distance, easily three times as tall as any soldier. The rest of Alai’s soldiers were retreating now, using all their power to escape the incoming wave.

“I’m not about to lose my first battle!” Alai stubbornly protested. “Father is counting on me!”

“Your father would much rather have you alive,” Tess answered. “Now come before they unleash that thing!”

Alai held his ground. “I will not retreat!”

Tess attempted to drag Alai away, but the teenager dug in. Mirari joined in, and together he and Tess made some progress as the soldiers passed their young lord.

“Cowards!” Alai shouted. “Where is your Osarian honor!”

“Would you stop being stubborn for once in your life!” Tess shouted.

Alai shouted a reply, but the words were drowned out by the crashing sound of water. Tess watched as the wave turned on itself, rolling across the battlefield like a log down a hill. Stragglers from Alai’s army screamed as the water slammed into them, crushing them underneath.

Tess opened her skill list, replacing Free to Play Unit with Emergency Line and activating Stoneskin.

Suddenly, Alai’s bravado faltered as the reality of war crashed down on him. Finally, the young teenager broke and ran with the rest of the army. However, the teenager had waited too long, and the waves came crashing down on top of him, Tess, and Mirari.

0