Chapter 6: Paranoia
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Paranoia

Johnny knew that Filarion had a plan. To wrap him back around his elegant pianist finger. To make him his again. The house was warded, but Johnny could feel the rogue coming and going every night. He had even found something like a croft in one of the trees.

The tank was way over his head. The sheriff didn't listen to him, when he came with evidence. Johnny should have taken that small notepad, when he had his hands on it. Surely, the sheriff would have connected the names of people dying, with the names of the notepad?

It was too late for that. What Johnny needed now, was protection. Filarion was obsessed with him. Perhaps even in love, although Johnny wasn't certain that the sick brain of the elf knew what love was.

So, Johnny went to the adventurer's guild, and looked through the adventurers who offered live in protection quests.

Among them, one stood out. An old necromancer by the name of Adam Jackal. Filarion wouldn't go mad with jealousy because of an old man moving in to live with the tank. Or so Johnny hoped. 

With the name in his mind, he went to the dining hall. It was more of a mead hall, really. What with the constant flow of alcohol, and the meat roasting on cook fires? Johnny had more than one pleasant memory in this hall. It was rough, but the company inside was pleasant.

Some of the adventurers who knew him clapped him on the back. The news that he had separated from his lover of two years spread like wildfire. It was a bit hard not to, seeing as Filarion stopped coming to bring him sweets at noon, as was his habit.

With a bit of searching, Johnny found Adam Jackal sitting by a green fire, and eating a pork rib. He looked old as dirt, and for a minute Johnny wondered if this man could really protect him. Yet, he decided that it would all be fine. Necromancers could fight without needing to be young. Unlike the rest of them.

"Adam, I need to hire you for my protection," Johnny said, and Adam blinked at him.

"What?" The necromancer yelled, and Johnny realized that the man was almost deaf.

"I want to hire you for a quest," Johnny yelled, and Adam nodded.

"Protection deals only. One silver coin per day," Adam said. Now, there were heads turning their way. Johnny blushed at having to have someone else protect him. He was an SS ranked tank. In theory, nothing should be able to hurt him. The problem was that Filarion was also SS ranked, albeit a rogue. The worst match up for a tank, combat wise.

"Deal," Johnny offered his hand, and Adam shook it. "When can you move to my house?"

"Today," Adam said, and patted a bag at his hip. "My things are in here."

Johnny felt bad for Adam then. The necromancer must have been living in the guild house all this time. The guild offered such a service for free. To encourage more people to become adventurers. Although, they only had a warm place to stay. The floor was their bed.

"Ok, follow me, and we can get it all sorted," the tank told him, and Adam waved his pork rib. Johnny blushed at that, and sat down to wait.

They made it to the receptionist half an hour later. Johnny had to fill in the forms, with Adam only signing them. The necromancer was as blind as a bat. Something that brought Johnny a great sense of unease.

Making it back to the house, Adam stopped, and headed towards the trees. Soon, he was sending off green mana balls at a particular tree. Filarion fell from it with a groan.

Johnny stared at the elf for a while, and wondered what he could do. Should he talk to Filarion? He decided to leave Adam to handle it, and went back inside the house.

"I will have your heart on a platter," he heard a yell from outside, and then running feet. Adam came in soon after, and he looked satisfied.

"Chased off the squatter. Was he giving you trouble?" The necromancer asked.

"How did you chase him out?" Johnny asked, already fearing the worst.

"The tried and proven butt poke of death," the necromancer grinned at Johnny, and the tank facepalmed.

"You send necromantic mana up his ass?" Johnny didn't know if he should cry or laugh. Filarion was going to have kittens now. That was for sure.

"I sure did," Adam patted his stomach then. "I am hungry, feed me."

Johnny shook his head, and decided that this was going to be like living with a protective grandfather. He made some sausages with eggs for Adam, and quick bread with butter and honey for himself, and set the table.

"You will not be healthy eating this for dinner," Adam nodded at the bread. Johnny just shrugged.

"I normally have sweets at this time," Johnny didn't tell Adam that the man he had molested used to bring them to him. It had become the tank's routine, and so, try as he might to get his little leaf out of his life, he let him be a part of it just in this case.

"Suit yourself. Just make sure you make a good dinner," Adam spoke, as he dug in. After the meal, Adam was shown the guest room, and then he laid down for a nap.

Hours later, Johnny was broken out of his musings by the doorbell ringing. He had not used such a stone that delivery people were forced out, so he went to see what could be sent to him. It could be a quest request. He hoped it was something far away from here. Surely, that would throw Filarion off his trail.

"This is for you. Please sign here," the delivery man spoke, and handed a clipboard to Johnny. He signed, and was handed a small red envelope.

Opening it, he saw the Elathana crest on one side of the paper, and then he flipped it. On the back it was written:

"They will bust your knee caps," in Filarion's flowery handwriting. Johnny gulped, not knowing whether it was a warning or a threat. Yet, he knew who they were.

1