Chapter Six: Once Bitten
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since the night Midas had helped him, Jason had been with Midas and Mari. Jason approached Midas, concerned, "Hey; everything alright?"

Midas smiled at him, "Of course; why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know but since when do you drink alone in public? Also, you only smoke when you're stressed," Jason pointed out.

Midas frowned, putting out the cigarette; I hate how well he knows me. "I do it just because sometimes- Same with drinking alone."

"No, you don't," Jason said, rolling his eyes. "You are never, not surrounded by women when you are here. Mari asked me to look out for you while she's away. So- What's up with you?"

"I do not need a babysitter," Midas responded, annoyed.

"You sure about that?" Jason asked somewhat sarcastically. "Because you totally brought a deadly assassin, that you know next to nothing about, to the same floor you sleep on. This was against the advice of your security team- Soooo-" He made a gesture with his palms up, weighing them back and forth. "Are you making good decisions right now?"

This time Midas rolled his eyes. "Ugh- Let's not talk about that... Or him." Midas sipped his drink; trying not to think about him is why I'm here.

Jason raised an eyebrow and sat across from him. "What; why not?" There was a hint of disappointment in his voice. "What if I want to talk about him? 'Cause, he's scary but in this mysterious, dreamy sort of way."

Midas looked confused; dreamy? "What the fuck does that even mean?" Midas asked blankly.

"Eh, forget it, you wouldn't get it anyway... Buuut, most of the ladies here do seem to think he's attractive- Probably because you can sort of imagine whatever you want under his mask and cloak. Then most of the men seem to think he's kind of scary and definitely intimidating." Midas considered what he said; attractive? When the women left my room the other day they did seem like they thought so... Jason watched Midas getting lost in his thoughts. "Seriously though, did something happen with him or something?" Jason asked him.

"No. Wh-what would have happened?" Fuck; Midas inwardly cursed himself for not hiding his nervous tone nearly well enough.

"I don't know but you don't seem thrilled. Are you planning on firing him or something?"

"No. I'm still hoping he wants to stay here. I'd prefer to keep an eye on him."

"That's what you told security. Have you talked to him much? What's he like? He's not out of his room too often, mostly just to pick up meals. I'm too scared to approach him, most people are."

Midas nodded slightly; he is pretty intimidating to look at. "I don't think you need to be that scared of him," Midas assured. "It's really just the outfit. He's... Soft-spoken, actually." Midas shook his head slightly; he still wanted to stop thinking about him. "But I don't know much about him yet..."

"I just don't usually chance it with guys like him; they can be pretty dicey for guys like me."

Midas met Jason's eyes. "Guys like him?" He questioned.

"Yes; enforcer types- You know- The violent guys..."

"And guys like you, meaning- Gay men?"

"Yea," Jason raised an eyebrow again as Midas looked to be getting lost in thoughts once more.

"So you would just assume that the kind of guys who do the dirty work aren't the kind of guys who would be okay with you? Perhaps, would even be gay themselves?" Midas felt a little better about the fact that he had also made assumptions about Shade.

"I mean... I know it's not totally impossible that he's gay but it's a numbers thing; the majority are bad news for me."

"You would let me know if my guys are like that right? You don't let that stuff slide do you?"

Jason chuckled. "I do let some slide. Not violence but verbal abuse I can handle; if I didn't, your muscle-type guys would be gone."

"My guys are that bad?" Midas frowned.

"Some of them but, compared to where I came from, it's nothing."

"Why didn't you tell me? Also, everyone here knows how close we are- Why would they think I'd be okay with that?"

"It's not anything I can't handle and they are honestly good at the jobs you hire them to do. I think that they think you are soft on me because Mari and I are so close and you love her. So they carefully tread this line where they think they'll get away with it because they assume you are actually disgusted with me too."

"How do they explain the other gay men I employ and allow, even encourage, to be themselves here? I've not shied away from punishment when I thought it was deserved... Most heads of the other area mafias and gangs harshly punish behaviors they deem gay. Doesn't the fact that I don't pretty much mean that I approve?"

"Now see; that's what I wondered too. They know there are plenty of out men and women here- We aren't hiding and those guys harass the others too, not just me. I think all of us put up with it because, at the end of the day, what they say doesn't matter and most of us have seen worse. Only what you say matters and we know you're on our side. Those guys really aren't the brightest bulbs though... Guess something about the sheer volume of women you pull down has them convinced you are just as disgusted by men with men as they all are."

"I'm not..." Midas mumbled and Jason cocked his head slightly. "So I suppose those men wouldn't want to work for me if I were gay?"

"No; why though?" Jason was getting suspicious.

"No reason, just a thought," Midas brushed it away.

"Seriously, what is up with you? You are being odd..."

"I think I'm just tired is all. I think I'll finish my drink and turn in."

"If you say so," Jason responded, unconvinced.

 

Midas was headed back to his apartment, he had just stepped off the elevator when the intruder alarm sounded. Shade opened his door, looking down the hall, he spotted Midas. Midas hurried to his apartment and Shade followed him in. The main living area of Midas' apartment was spacious but fairly empty. His kitchen and dining area were right of the door. His living room set up, complete with a fireplace, was to the left. In the back left corner sat a beautiful golden grand piano. Shade closed and locked the door then stood facing it, ready to attack if it were breached. Midas grabbed his gun and stood across the room. Shade gripped a switchblade in his hand tightly, his body tensed. After a short time, the all-clear alarm sounded along with a message. "False alarm; all is well. Repeat. False alarm; all is well."

Midas sighed and put his gun down, relieved. Shade loosened his grip and visibly relaxed. He pocketed the blade, then mumbled, "Alright then." He turned to look at Midas. "Have a good evening then, Sir," He gave a nod and started to leave.

"Wait," Midas called; I can't keep running from this. Shade paused, his heart skipping a beat. "Can we talk?" Shade looked at him and nodded. Midas walked over to his kitchen island and leaned on the counter. Shade walked to the other side, looking at him. "About the other night-"

Shade cut him off, "I'm sorry." His tone was very apologetic; he felt guilt surfacing. "I didn't mean for that to happen. I was trying to make you uncomfortable on purpose so that you wouldn't bring it up anymore. I thought you were completely straight; it was wrong of me either way though. I'm sorry."

"Oh-" Midas felt disappointment; he didn't mean it... It was just a joke, a trick? Then- What about what he said to Nomi? "I, uh, I am straight- Or, I don't know, I thought so... I've never done that before, kiss a man, I mean."

"Oh. Uh, maybe the fumes from my lab, you know. That room probably isn't ventilated enough for what I'm doing in there," Shade suggested; maybe if I give him some kind of excuse he'll take it- Then we can both run from this...

"No. In that moment, I did what I wanted to do and I liked it- A lot," Midas looked away from him.

Shade swallowed; he's not backing down. My fucking heart again! "I liked it too." Shade looked down; why did I say that? Don't fucking say that; you can't be doing this shit- Not now. "I wouldn't have kissed you back that way if I didn't like it." Fuck; Shade cursed his own honesty.

Midas' heart leapt. "I don't know what to do now though; I'm having trouble processing it." Shade felt a wave of guilt; yeah, well, that's probably because I'm fucking lying to you about myself. Midas looked down, "So I guess my question is; what would you want to do?" He looked up at Shade, "Knowing we both enjoyed it; what now?" Midas looked at him expectantly.

Shade was taken aback. Midas was clearly the take-charge kind yet, when he found himself in this place of inexperience, he was looking to be led. Shade hesitated; I don't have the experience that you think I do either. "I was telling the truth about preferring to be alone. I still think all of this is a fluke too. You are straight and- I'm unavailable anyway."

"Unavailable?" Midas asked; that's what he said to Nomi but what exactly does that mean?

"I'm just- Completely incapable of bonding with others in that way. It's best to put it out of your mind and move on."

"It didn't feel that way at all," Midas countered.

Shade sighed heavily. "What do I look like?" He asked aggressively.

"What?" Midas was confused.

"What color is my hair?"

"You're always in that cloak."

"Precisely, cloak, mask, voice- Do you think this is all some kind of accident? I have no intention of revealing my identity to you or anyone. Does that sound like a relationship, of any kind?"

"I suppose not..." Midas stared at him.

"Of course not," Shade turned to leave; there, it's done...

"But still-" Shade froze. "I can't stop thinking about it. Can I, just once more, to know if it feels the same a second time?"

"You- Want-"

"To kiss you again." Midas moved around the counter, standing right in front of Shade, "Please?"

Shade's heart sped up; I should say no... But before- The kiss, that moan, that feeling in my stomach- I want more! Shade removed his vocal converter. Midas moved in, pausing just before Shade's lips. Shade closed the gap this time, kissing him. Midas grabbed Shade's waist, pulling him closer. Midas found himself lost in the sensation; it is the same as last time! But why does this feel so different? Shade reached forward, putting his hands on Midas' chest; I need to stop this is wrong. Shade grabbed Midas' tie, beginning to loosen it. Midas glanced down at Shade's hands; is he? Midas' stomach lurched in excitement. Shade suddenly stopped, backing away and putting his converter back on. He looked away from Midas. "I- Should go..." He mumbled, turning to leave again.

Midas grabbed his wrist, "But why?" Shade stiffened, looking at Midas' hand on his wrist. Midas noticed Shade flinch when he made contact; he released him, "Sorry; I shouldn't have grabbed you."

"That's okay," Shade mumbled, looking down and rubbing his neck.

"No; it's not okay. You don't like to be touched, do you?" Midas remembered the way Shade had reacted when he touched his shoulder during the tour.

"I- Don't."

"Is that why you don't want to do this? You didn't seem to mind when I pulled you closer to me. If you have some... Boundaries, we may still be able to work around them." Midas sounded nervous and wasn't looking at him. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable but I do want- Whatever is happening right now to continue."

Shade approached him again; why is that nervous tone of his so... Appealing? "You remember what I said about how I won't be revealing any of myself to you?"

Midas frowned slightly, "Yes?"

"Are you okay with that? Are you okay being touched but not getting to touch?"

Midas' heart started beating faster again. "Y-yeah," Midas was flushed, "But- Are you really okay with that? Honestly sounds like maybe I come out way ahead there."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. This, uh, works better for me."

"Does that mean- We are doing- This?"

Shade continued to be confused by his own feelings; there's that nervous tone in his voice again. Why is that so- Hot!? Shade watched Midas squirm a little in the silence that followed his question. "I need to get something from my room first; meet you in your bedroom?" Shade made his final decision; I want him...

Midas swallowed, "Okay." Shade left Midas' apartment.

 

Shade entered his own apartment; am I really going to do this? He pulled off his leather glove and tossed it aside, going to his dresser. He opened a drawer and pulled out a red silk glove. He put it on, running his hand across it. He took a deep breath; okay, he wants this too... He's nervous but clearly excited. Shade fidgeted with his glove; this will probably end up being just a one-time thing, right? He'll get it out of his system, he'll be satisfied that he experimented a little, then he'll go back to those women. Then, hopefully, it will be out of my system too. He may think I'm something I'm not, but... Is it okay? Not really... Shade wrestled with guilt; he is straight though and I'm a woman, so... I mean; if he were gay, this would be different. If he were gay, no way this would have happened- I never would have initiated that first kiss; the whole point was that he wasn't supposed to like me! He does though... And I like him, and... Okay; just one time... Shade took a deep breath then headed back to Midas' room.

 

When Shade left, Midas went to his bedroom. He placed Anna's photo in the bedside drawer and sat for a moment; Why the hell am I this nervous? I'm a fucking grown man, not a teenager. He's my first man, but why the fuck am I here feeling like this is my first ever? Midas took some time to attempt to regain his composure. After a bit, he heard his front door open; Shade had returned. He stood up as Shade entered his bedroom. Shade looked around for a moment, taking in his new surroundings. The room was large with floor-to-ceiling windows and a sliding door to a balcony on the wall across from the entrance. To the left were a long dresser and the door to the walk-in closet. Midas' bed and nightstands were against the right wall. The bed was a king-size four-poster with black canopy curtains; his bedding was silk in gold and black. Shade admired it for a moment, then ran his hand up one of the golden bed posts; everything he touches. "Quick question?" Shade asked.

Midas jumped slightly when Shade spoke, "Yes?"

"How do you prevent yourself from touching? You know, during, with the women- Seems risky to leave it to self-control."

"Oh, no, you're right- I don't trust myself that far." He pointed to the head of his bed where a pair of golden handcuffs hung from the headboard railing, "I always restrain or contain my right hand before things get too heavy."

"Okay; got ya," Shade nodded. He glanced behind Midas, getting an idea. He approached him and took his tie in his right hand, "Once more- You sure you want this?"

Midas' face flushed, his heart pounding, "Yes," He nodded. Shade moved his other hand up, undoing the tie. Midas noticed his glove had changed, instead of the sturdy black leather he had been wearing, this glove was red. Midas hesitantly touched it; he hadn't touched Shade's gloved hand since finding out about the curse. He ran his fingers across the soft, silky fabric; that feels nice... "Is that what you went to get?"

"Yea, it feels much nicer on the skin, doesn't it? It's the kind I sleep in." Having removed the tie, Shade reached past Midas to the nightstand. There were a few odd things on the stand which Shade removed, gently tossing them onto the bed. He patted the now empty table, "Sit."

"What?" Midas glanced at the table then Shade; did he just- Give me a command? Midas was surprised by the suddenness, the order had been firm but didn't feel threatening.

"Sit here," Shade repeated. Midas sat on the table and Shade grabbed his right arm, just below his elbow. He raised Midas' arm, directing him to hold the bedpost. He then used the tie he'd taken from Midas to tie his arm to the post, neutralizing Golden-Touch. Midas looked up at his restrained hand; this feels different. I always put the cuff on myself... Shade stepped back a moment to look at Midas, partially restrained; this would be the first time I've tied up a man... Midas looked up at him and Shade's heartbeat quickened; he looks so good. Shade removed his converter, slipping it into his pocket and kissing Midas deeply. As he continued kissing him, he started undoing his shirt. He moved his kisses down to Midas' neck, sucking and lightly biting him. Midas let out a soft moan, leaning forward slightly. Shade licked and bit at Midas' chest. As he licked the nipples, he noticed something; is that what I think it is? He held his converter to his mouth for a moment. "Is your left nipple pierced?" He asked, running his finger around it.

Midas blushed, "Almost no one notices that. I lost a bet; I haven't worn anything in it in years but, yes, the hole is still there." Shade slipped the converter back in a pocket, he was grinning. He licked the nipple again before moving down to Midas' stomach, kissing it. Shade ran his hands down Midas' chest and abs, then he took hold of his waistband. He hesitated, letting go with his right hand a moment, he took Midas by the chin and looked into his face; once more, to be sure. Give him another chance to back out... He tugged slightly on Midas' pants and Midas took it to mean he was asking again if he was sure. "Please," Midas breathed. Then here it goes; Shade unbuckled Midas' belt then unbuttoned and unzipped his pants, pushing everything down. He paused for a moment, on Midas' left hip there was a deep scar. This one definitely hurt; Shade placed his fingers, gently tracing it. Shade's smile had faded. Midas watched him; he looks so... Intense. "A bullet grazed me. The scar gets mixed reactions... Some women seem to think it's interesting or hot, others seem to think it's sad; I guess I just think it's ugly..." Shade rubbed his neck for a moment with his gloved hand and then looked back up into Midas' face. He kissed him again, softer at first, then he built up passion.

Once Midas moaned again, Shade held him in place with his right hand on Midas' hip. He continued kissing Midas hard as he used his left hand to begin stroking him. Midas shivered; God, that fabric- Feels incredible! Midas' mind melted into the sensation; fuck, that's also the hand that's dangerous- Is that exciting me even more? Shade moved his mouth to Midas' neck again, kissing and sucking as he picked up speed with his left hand. Midas' pleasured moans and breathy pants were making Shade feel ways he didn't know he was even capable of; God, I thought I didn't have these feelings anymore! As Midas approached the edge, he reached out for Shade with his unrestrained hand. Shade grabbed Midas' wrist, firmly pushing it against the wall without looking; I told you not to touch me... Speeding up again, Shade took Midas over the edge as he held Midas' hand tightly against the wall. Midas let out a moan that excited Shade like nothing before. Shade found himself almost moaning out too; but my voice! His converter was off, so he had been very careful about remaining silent. Shade panicked; he can't hear my real voice. He bit down to quiet himself, onto Midas' neck. A bit of blood trickled from his skin as Midas let out a far less pleasured scream and pushed Shade away from him. "What the fuck!" Midas roared, ripping the tie from the bedpost and standing. "Get out!" Midas gingerly touched his neck; am I fucking bleeding right now? Fuck, that hurt.

Shade had stumbled but steadied himself; oh shit! What did I do? I didn't mean to do that! He quickly put his converter back on, "I'm sorry- I-"

"Out! Right fucking now, out!" Midas was pointing towards the door.

Shade quickly fled Midas' apartment, returning to his own. He closed the door behind him and slid down it, sitting on the floor. "Fuck..." He put his head down, fighting away tears; I hurt him- How could I? I'm so fucking stupid... Shade felt his breathing becoming rapid. He stood up and began to pace; I need to calm down- Breathe... What am I going to do?

1