Chapter Eight: Olive Branch
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Midas had stayed on the lookout for Shade; however, it seemed as though Shade wasn't leaving his apartment at all. Midas headed to the dining hall at lunchtime. He approached the window and asked the cooks for information. "Do you guys know when Shade last picked up a meal here?"

"Monday, he picked up lunch." One of them responded. Shade stood out so it was easy for them to remember when they had last seen him.

"That's quite a few meals ago."

"He used to come for every meal but we've only seen him a few times recently. We figured he must have ordered his food from the last supply run, now that he's settled."

"Must have," Midas replied but he was doubtful.

 

Midas went to see the woman in charge of the supply runs. "Tell me, what food items has Shade ordered?"

"Let me pull up his file." She tapped at her keyboard, then scrolled along his page. "Hmm, not seeing food- Vitamins appear to be the only consumable he's ordered; he picked them up last time. Ah- His upcoming order is full of grocery items."

"Alright; thanks." Midas walked away; so he is skipping meals altogether while he waits for the next shipment then. I need to talk to him.

 

Midas stood outside of Shade's apartment for a couple of minutes before knocking. Shade opened the door. "Oh, Sir, did you need something?" Shade was ready to take any task Midas gave him, determined to prove useful.

Midas frowned slightly, something about going from Midas back to Sir stung even though he knew it was his fault. He had commanded that their relationship remain professional. "Can we talk?"

Shade hesitated, "As boss and employee?"

"As Midas and Shade."

"Uh, okay..." Shade stood to the side, allowing Midas in.

"When did you last eat?"

Shade was confused by the question, "Um. I had something..." He paused, thinking, "Yesterday?"

"I don't think you did... The kitchen last saw you Monday afternoon, it's Wednesday afternoon now. Have you been sleeping?"

"I slept a few hours last night. Why are you asking this stuff?"

"So you haven't eaten in two days and have only slept a few hours. Is this because of what happened, between us?"

"Oh, no; I normally sleep like that."

"You only sleep a few hours a night?"

"Two to five, usually."

"The eating?"

"I guess I do normally eat more; I've just been busy in the lab is all. I've had plenty of water though, I'm fine."

"No, it's not fine," Midas argued. "Please, sit with me," He gestured to Shade's dining table. Shade took a seat on the bench and Midas sat in a chair across from him. Midas put a bag on the table that Shade hadn't even noticed he was holding. "Inside there's a ham and cheese sandwich, a cookie, chips, and can of cola. The kitchen staff told me you have no food restrictions that they know of." Midas looked down, "I'm sorry. I regret how harshly I reacted. I regret that I called things off in anger like that. It's not just because that night was... Unlike anything I've experienced." Midas blushed for a moment. "You, as far as I know, are the only other person cursed by the coin. You're the only one who remotely understands. There's a connection we have that I can't ignore. I shouldn't have pushed you away like that." Shade's heart was pounding; yes, a connection! I feel it too- I missed you... Shade found himself unable to voice his feelings; he just looked at Midas, unable to respond. Midas looked back at him, "I've been thinking, more and more, about what happened- How upset you were that you had hurt me... There's something I want to ask you- And I'm sorry, but- Have- Has something bad happened to you? And was it... Something sexual?"

Shade suddenly stiffened, his breath caught in his chest. He rubbed his neck for a moment but then stood up. With Shade's full height looming over him, Midas suddenly remembered the imposing figure he was first introduced to. He felt the fear that Shade had struck that first night; has one night made me forget I'm looking at one of the deadliest men alive? "Just fucking drop it," Shade's voice was firm, dark, and threatening.

"Okay..." Midas stood. Ordinarily, Midas wouldn't have allowed a subordinate to speak to him that way; but, considering what he'd just asked, it seemed best to let it go. It hadn't made him angry anyway; rather, it saddened him as it seemed to confirm his suspicions. "Just, please, start eating again. Also, we do have doctors, nurses, a pharmacist, and even a therapist. So, maybe you can work on your sleep too. You should know, the therapist is the only person here who will not give me any information on my people, even if I ask her- Which I wouldn't." Even if it made Shade mad, Midas became determined to help him somehow.

"Thank you- But perhaps a professional relationship is for the best." Shade opened his door, indicating Midas should leave.

"Of course..." Midas nodded and left. Shade closed the door and leaned against it for a moment, resting his forehead on it; of course he can already tell how broken you are. You can put on all the masks you want but you can't fucking hide... He sat back down and stared at the bag on the table. After a few minutes, he pulled it towards himself and removed the sandwich; he unwrapped it, then took a small bite.

 

A couple of days later, Shade had picked up dinner and was returning to the elevator. Midas was inside, headed back to his office; Shade quickly boarded. Midas was talking on his phone, leaning against the wall. His eyes were pressed shut and his hand was over his face, his fingers rubbing between his brows. Shade watched him; he doesn't look so good. I think I have something on me. Shade searched his pockets, pulling out a bottle. Midas spoke, "Just tell him Styx will no longer be doing any business with him. I just don't feel like dealing with that dumbass; he doesn't make me enough money for this." Midas ended the call, placing the phone in his pocket. He had noticed that the elevator had stopped and someone had gotten on but he was just now opening his eyes to see who.

Shade was standing in front of him, holding out a bottle of painkillers. "Headache?"

"Ah, thank you; yes." Midas took the bottle, taking a few pills and returning it to him. He noticed the bag in Shade's hand. "You're eating again?"

"I'm trying to remember not to skip meals. You have nothing to worry about, Sir." Shade moved to the other side of the elevator.

Right, professional relationship only; Midas nodded. "Good to hear; having my bodyguard in a weakened state is unacceptable."

"Of course, Sir; I'll be more careful." Shade pulled out his phone. Midas closed his eyes; I get these headaches all the time and no one but Mari and Jason ever notice- Or at least, no one ever says anything. Midas glanced at Shade; he feels so far away from me right now... He closed his eyes again; get over it... What's done is done; this is what we are now.

 

On Sunday night, Shade headed into his bathroom. He was in dire need of a shower, having skipped a couple of days while working in the lab. He was sure he must reek, even if he'd become accustomed to the smell; I'm lucky people here avoid me when I'm alone. Maybe no one noticed. As he entered the bathroom, he heard Midas' shower running next door. He briefly thought of Midas' naked body, then shook his head, attempting to rid himself of it; what the fuck is wrong with you? Why all of a sudden and why him? Is he drowned in pheromones or something? Why does he have me feeling like a teenager? I didn't even know I could still feel like this- Isn't this part of me supposed to be dead? Don't get caught up in this nonsense, remember you aren't Shade- You are Vee! You saw those women; you are nothing compared to them and he wouldn't be interested... He's just temporarily intrigued... It will fade, then he would leave you anyway. Stick to curing the curse. Then, I can sell it to him in exchange for his help. He has the resources to help me disappear for good. I'll be free and curse-free; don't lose focus on your goal now... Suddenly, there was a different sound traveling through the vent. A woman was moaning in pleasure, "Oh! Midas, don't stop!" Shade backed out of the room; a shower can wait a bit longer... Shade couldn't shake it from his thoughts. He was becoming consumed with a mixture of jealousy and sadness; perhaps I should have accepted Midas' olive branch...

He entered the bathroom again after about thirty minutes. He listened and didn't hear anything at all, so he started to shower. Shortly after Vee was under the spray of the water, shampoo in her hair, she heard the woman again. "Oh-God-Yes! Right there!" Vee paled; shit! If I can hear them, they can hear my shower. He knows I can hear them! The woman continued her moaning and pleasured screaming. Vee showered as fast as possible; by the time she was clean, dry, and dressed as Shade again, it seemed they had finished too.

Consumed with curiosity, Shade went to his front door to watch out the peephole. After a short while, a beautiful blonde strolled past. Suddenly, the peephole was being covered from the other side and Midas spoke through the door. "I know you're there; heard your shower too. It's a bit invasive for a professional relationship- Don't you think?"

Shade became annoyed and emboldened. He swung the door open and entered the hall. "My need to shower doesn't have anything to do with your- Encounters."

"Couldn't it have waited though? You also came to get a look at her; how do you explain that? Were you enjoying it?" Midas smirked at him.

"Believe it or not, women screaming doesn't do much for me," Shade answered, annoyed. "Buuut, I suppose I did notice-" Shade leaned in close to Midas, "You were awful quiet; I guess I had gotten the impression that you're vocal." Midas' pulse quickened. He got a whiff of what he assumed must be Shade's shampoo, even though Shade's hood covered his hair. It reminded him of that night; it was a smell he hadn't consciously registered the first time but now he found it intoxicating. "Perhaps, if you ever want to be the one that's screaming again, you should ask me."

Midas became flushed but he also couldn't help but grin, "That a genuine offer? Because I thought we were keeping it professional?"

Shade moved closer, pressing Midas against the wall with his body. He got close to Midas' ear, "Fuck, Midas- What do you do to me?" Midas' stomach lurched. Just as suddenly as he had pinned him, Shade was gone, returning to his room and locking the door. Midas stared at Shade's door, his heart racing; what was that!?

1