Chapter 7 – Moving Pieces
134 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, at the governor's mansion. The governor of Gravel District 13 had gotten word that a shipment of weaponry would be coming next week, weaponry for the district soldiers to fight against frontier monsters better. Gravel District 13 was built into an untouched mountain and has only been established for 50 years, so being on the frontier of the GSU meant this district would be difficult to defend from the powerful monsters lurking in the depths. Due to the governor's high aptitude, he has kept District 13 safe from attacks for this long already, but crime is beginning to become bigger due the nature of the place. In addition to refining stone into usable materials for the GSU, gravel districts also served the role of refining cities that would produce metals of various kinds.

District 13 wasn't known for this, but rather was built to gather large quantities of coal and rare monster materials. Being a frontier district in a mountain with strong and abundant rare monsters meant living here was more dangerous, but in turn more and stronger hunters would come to make an earning as well, so District 13 began to be a place that imported many weapons to arm guards, but also to sell to hunters. But there was an issue, the district that the governor was importing weapons from suddenly raised the price by double, citing "Surely a capable man such as yourself doesn't need so many weapons just to protect an established district like that? If you really need them, surely you can spend a bit more, can't you?"

Unfortunately, there were no districts as close to the frontier that the governor could order weapons from, and the district he was currently ordering from was a supply district where merchants pass through often, and had plentiful craftsmen and smiths. These Mou Districts would produce and trade goods and distribute them through merchants or otherwise to other nearby districts. If he went to another district to ask for weapon shipments, they would have to pass through Mou District 13, Gravel District 13's sister, and he would be charged a premium for the supply line used. It was a bureaucratic nightmare, but this is how gravel district 13 was kept in low poverty. Even the governor, despite being the wealthiest of district 13, was comparably poor against other districts.

Districts were given a degree of autonomy within the GSU to lessen the overall administration for the President of the union, but if it was reported a district was stepping out of line, it would be educated with impunity, and a new governor would be issued to the problematic district. The GSU's primary punitive force was known as "Glass Ravens" for their clean and pure attire and combat style, but also for their mercilessness in dealing with treason.

The governor was being threatened with being reported for treason, and was afraid his voice wouldn't be heard by the high court for being a backwater governor with no connections. So he paid the increased price for weaponry, getting it exported from Mou 13.

Also at this time, in a certain building on the southeast side, a branch of the Blackout Mafia had arranged for a deal to export "illegal items" when the trade ship from mou 13 arrives. The governor wasn't aware of the underground activity in his city, having to deal with everything else all the time. In this building, there were several large animal crates made from reinforced stone, and strange noises and scrapes could be heard from them, as well as the occasional quiet wails and moans. In the shadows of Gravel District 13, many players were beginning to make their moves, including Iris and Licht, who were heading to the dark side of Eastern District 13.

~~×~~×~~×~~

While I was talking with the siblings earlier, I asked them about where any shops that would sell to urchins were located, and they told me about a back alley shopping row on the east side. Being close to the Airdocks, there were plenty of stores selling various goods imported from other districts. Walking with my cloak up and figure covered, even if I looked suspicious, fortunately no one decided to bother me as I traversed the streets of the Gravel District. I searched around for an hour, wandering through streets and drinking from a watering hole, and eventually found my destination. It was a cramped alleyway, with only enough room for two people to stand at arm's length to stand in. Along the walls every few meters were sliding double doors, some open and some closed. I walked along the alley before I saw what I wanted. I entered the store with a gruff old man reading a book at the counter. Along the walls were shelves of brass, iron, and copper components of various kinds and sizes. And there were also assembled Steamguns. It was a steamgun shop.

Old man: "Kid, ya clearly lost, get ou'a 'ere. There's a candy shop ya can visit on da main street."

The man spoke dismissively and loudly, as though to spook off a small animal. Unfortunately I wasn't a small animal. I approached the counter while taking the dilapidated steamgun out of my sack under my cloak, placing it there.

Iris: "I need you to fix this for me, and I would like a steam canister or two. I heard this alley buys from and sells to urchins too."

The man turned his chin up at me as we looked at each other, and huffed before looking down at the steamgun I set on the counter.

Old man: "... No can do, lass. This 'ere's scrap. Garbage. You picked it outta some garbage din' ya? The valve's loose, ih'll detonate if ya try ta shoot and da canister'll fly off, might even crush ya chest."

Iris: "Then can't you replace the valve? I know the other components can still work and the barrel just needs to be replaced. Is it impossible, mister?"

The old man combed his beard with his oily hands and thought about my offer. Then he grumbled something under his breath and responded.

Old man: "Aye, I can replace da valve and bahrrel, but this steamgun won't suit you. Wait a moment there." 

He said before getting up from his chair and walking back into a room behind some curtains. I looked around at all the weapons hung on the walls. Hand guns of different sizes and shapes, then longer guns that looked like rifles were here too. Some had some kind of coiling on the barrel, but I wasn't sure what it was for. Then the gunsmith came back with a holster and a smaller gun that looked somewhat like a revolver from Licht's world.

Old man: "This 'ere... This' my own personal creation. Ah'll sell this to ya fur 5000 mou. On tha account that ya come back as a regular."

He said that much but... This looks far more expensive than just 5000 mou. Though that was also pricey. The steam canister was similar in size to the one on the steamgun I brought, except 2 inches shorter and 1 thinner. It rested above the barrel and connected to the valve below it, which led back into the chamber that was fed by a magazine in the grip. The barrel looked about 10mm in calibre, and was 2 inches longer than the steam canister.

Iris: "...Why are you selling something incredible like this to a brat like me?"

Old man: "Dun mind it and just take tha deal lass. Is rare for youngun's to know a thing or two 'bout steamguns."

Is what he said, so, albeit hesitantly, I paid. I used the two silvers, then paid 3 iron and 2 bronze. The old man nodded proudly when he saw I could calculate the total and pay properly. I also purchased a pair of 10mm mags from him for another iron and bid my farewell to him. I had a proper weapon now and could fight.

2