Chapter 15 – Re-arm & Repair
97 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke the next day after sleeping like a log. The bed was extremely comfortable, soft & fluffy. And the tavern was ventilated so there wasn't an abundance of stone dust like outside. I was actually feeling much better than I had in a long time.

Licht: As it seem's I'm unable to properly sleep myself, I took the liberty of healing our body when our mana was at max, so we're at peak performance. Ah, and our dust poisoning is gone too. We recover abnormally fast.

I nodded at Licht's words and thanked him as I got out of bed and got dressed. Then a knock came at my door and Alm's voice rang out.

Alm: "Miss Iris? Breakfast is being served now."

Iris: "...I'll be down in a minute."

He affirmed and I heard his heavy footsteps trail off down the hall. A few minutes later I left my room and went downstairs into the dining area. Several people were already there, and I approached the counter. Then willow noticed me.

Willow: "Ah, you must be Iris, yes? Have a seat, today's breakfast is roc eggs, sugar toast made with proper bread, and Dweller strips."

Iris: "...Dweller strips? What's a Dweller?"

Willow: "You don't know what a Dweller is? Dwellers are livestock that just sit in one place and absorb the mana in the air. Grow big and fat doin' just that. Look real scary but they're utterly harmless."

I see, I learned something else today. I nodded at went to an empty table, sitting down and opening up Calico's tome, beginning to read through it. It was a very expansive and well-made magic tome, detailing many uses of magic and basic, effective spell patterns. I also learned that chanting wasn't necessary for spellcasting, but it aided in creating a mental image in the caster's mind. It seemed decent engineers would only use activation words, while apprentices and third-rate engineers would use full chants. And of course, experts would use silent casting. I guess I was a special case then, maybe because of Licht.

Breakfast was soon brought to me and I thanked Willow before digging in. It was absolutely delicious, the toast was sweet & crisp, the eggs were light and fluffy, and the dweller strips that looked like bacon were savory & juicy, melting in my mouth. The entire meal was filling and felt like it would heal my soul. I guess that was just the effect of this place. I relaxed for a bit longer after my meal and got up, stretched, and pulled my hood up over my head. I bid farewell to the owners and left, pulling the scarf over my face and heading out into the streets.

My new destination was the armor tailor I was told about, so I looked around for it. Some time later I was able to find it, tucked away just off the main thoroughfare in an alley. I entered the shop and looked around. I see why the old man from the gun shop called the owner "eccentric". Lined up on displays and mannequins Were various styles and colours of Combat Dresses. Light armored dresses for girls. There were simple and elegant designs, dresses with heavier armor and lighter armor, and types that appealed to sexiness or a cutesy look, or both.

While I was looking around the owner called out to me, a tall... Woman? With chiseled features and a pristine bowl cut and heavy makeup, and a 5-o'clock shadow. She? was wearing a long, bright red dress that only somewhat covered her bulging muscles, and had thick, brown leather gloves on. This honestly looked like a man that was cross-dressing.

Eccentric wo(man): "You there, lass, will you buy something or just window shop? I don't usually sell to urchins, but business is slow after all."

I pulled my hood and scarf down to reveal my looks before responding. "Actually... The gun nut a block over sent me. Said you made good armor for girls. And I would like to place a custom order."

The wo(man?) raised her eyebrow and looked me up and down slowly, and made a bright smile before leaning down. "I see~ So that old geezer found an interesting one ah~? Certainly you are rather cute. Fine then, show me the materials and tell me what you want, little miss."

I removed the reaper chitin, Ferru's gauntlet, and the Goblin Talons from my bag and placed them on the counter, telling her what I wanted. "Make me something using these. I would like to use the gauntlet for both attack and defense. As for the dress, don't give me too many frills, I need to move around easily in it. I'm also gonna need a strap for hidden weapons."

She nodded along with my request and brought me along to the workshop in the back to take my measurements. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it was necessary for proper armor, and she confidently told me she was a woman when I expressed my concern.

Eccentric Woman: "Then, come back tomorrow little miss~ Your combat dress will be done by then, cause now I'm all fired up to make a stylish dress~! Oh, and my name is Illiver, Miss Illiver. Make sure to remember it~"

Iris: "Sure, Miss Illiver. Before I go, can you introduce me to a reputable weapon smith? I have need for new blades too."

Illiver: "A weapon smith? Hmm~ I'm sure Old Patton knows one. Not me though. Oh, Old Patton is the gun nut who introduced you to me, go ask him."

So Patton is that old man's name huh? I nodded, thanked Illiver and left. Or I was going to.

Illiver: "Ah-! Aah, Miss Iris, before you go-!"

She rushed over and put a bundle of cloth in my hands.

Illiver: "Please put these on, you wouldn't want any accidents to occur because you didn't. Safe travels" She said with a smile.

I left the store then with confusion and opened the bundle up to peak inside. Undergarments... I guess she sold these too. My face felt flushed and I closed the bundle. Yes, I was hoping to get these too. I found somewhere safe to put them on and continued on to Patton's workshop.

A few minutes later I entered his storefront with a ring and he turned to see me.

Patton: "Ah, Lass, yah back alreh'y. Need sumthin?"

As always his accent was thick and his voice strong, but he was a kind man.

Iris: "Yes, a couple things. I need another steam canister and a refill on my current one. I lost one in a fight, unavoidable. Also, I want to be recommended to a weapon smith. I need a new blade instead of this dagger."

I placed my current dagger on the counter along with my steam canister. He took a look at the dirty, chipped and worn blade.

Patton: "Hmm, yeah, ya really went to town on things hah? You must'a been in some serious battles ta get it like this. There's a good blacksmith on the northeastern edge, 'e likes da quiet away from all the hustle an' bustle. Makes it 'arder ta get customers, but I reckon 'e 'ont do it fer the money. Anyway, steam canister yeah? 'Ere ya go, 1 lead. Refill's free 'uh charge."

I paid him the money and took my equipment back, thanking him. I left the shop and headed towards the northeastern outskirts, using the map he hastily drew and gave me. It took me about an hour before I finally arrived. I could here a hammer hitting metal steadily and black smoke rising from a large chimney. According to Patton, the Smith's name is Lira. Sounded like a woman's name but I didn't question it. Maybe I misunderstood from Patton's thick accent? I knocked loudly on the door and called out their name.

Iris: "Hello?! Lira! Patton sent me!"

The sound of metal-on metal stopped and after a few moments the door flung inward.

Lira: "Haah?! Who is it, I'm workin' 'ere! Ehh, is jus' a kid?"

In the doorway stood a tall, muscular woman with bright red, short hair held up higher by a headband. She wore a big, long metalworking apron that stuck out because of her sizable breasts, under the apron she wore some kind of light shirt like a jersey, asvwell as a pair of brown trousers and black boots. She also wore heavy black gloves and addressed me with a rough tone, looking down at me with a bit of confusion.

Iris: "Hello, I came to order some weapons. Patton sent me, said you were skilled."

Lira: "Ehh, so Ol' Patton sent ya did he? Hmm~ Well alright then, come in."

She stepped aside and I entered the building. There were a wide variety of weapons, from daggers to great hammers, and even scythes, shields, kusarigama, katana, and other unique weapons.

Lira: "I would'a turned ya away at the door but if patton introduced ya, that means ya ain't no normal lass. What's your order?"

She asked after stepping behind the counter. I couldn't see the forge here, so I figured it was in the back. I placed the dagger I had been using on the counter before removing the reaper scythes from my bag and placing them on the counter as well.

Iris: "My dagger is becoming too worn out for combat, so I would like to order a pair of short, straight, one-sided blades with these reaper scythes. I also need the dagger repaired for dismantling purposes. Can you do that?"

Lira was surprised at the sight of Reaper Scythes, but then picked them up and looked them over. After a moment of thinking she set them down and nodded.

Lira: "Yeah, I can do that for ya. Come back tomorrow, I'll have yer new blades ready. And the repair on the dagger, just toss it out, I'll give you a new one, on the house. If ya promise to come back for repairs and new equipment~" she said, giving me a snide grin and handing me a new dagger suitable as a backup weapon and dismantling tool.

Iris: "Yeah, of course miss Lira. I appreciate it, I'll definitely come back." I said, returning her smile. Before leaving, she told me we'll decide payment on completion. Illiver said the same thing, I wonder why? Oh well. I left the blacksmith for today and returned to the center of town. I had plenty of money still, so I decided to go find a library or bookstore. I wanted to expand my knowledge.

New chapter today! Its a bit later than I intended but I'm busy with stuff today. This chapter and the next are gonna be more peaceful. Since Iris-chan has to get her equipment back in working order, and expand her knowledge of the surrounding area and world. Also I started playing Yakuza 0 last night and am hooked so releases may be a bit slower. Still gonna aim for 2 chapters a day minimum

5