Chapter 16 – Sidewalk Parchment
83 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My first stop was by Brick Alley, where Patton's workshop was. It seemed this was the busy time of day, as there were a handful of hunter-types strolling through as well, entering and exiting shops. I stopped a couple on my way through to ask if they knew where any bookstores were, and while I didn't get lucky right away, someone that looked to be an engineer gave me directions for a place on east side, close to the airdocks. I thanked him and went on my way.

District 13 was roughly split into 5 sections. Northside, which was residential & administration, and where the Main Gate was, leaving out into the Frontier. West side was residential and workshops, South Side was work shops and commercial, and east side was commercial & shipping. Then there was Central, where the governor's mansion was, which also served as the main administration building. It was also where the Main Thoroughfare connected each side of the district. This wasn't to say shops, workshops, or housing didn't exist anywhere outside their main zones, but these were the areas that focused on the above.

Sometime later, along the main Thoroughfare, I found the book store I was told about. 'Sidewalk Parchment'. I entered the store with a light jingle and looked around, pulling my hood off. The place was crowded with bookshelves extending up to the ceiling, each one packed full with all kinds of books. There was an old man at the counter that greeted me simply and returned to reading a book. I gave him a nod in return and began searching.

I had enough magic books for the time being, so I didn't need more of those. Instead, I grabbed some rolled up maps and tucked them under my arm. Then I looked for monster encyclopedias. I luckily found two and grabbed them as well. Then I continued strolling slowly through the aisles of bookshelves looking for anything else useful. I found a book on magical engineering that seemed interesting, so I grabbed that aswell. Then geography books regarding the known world and the Union. I brought them over to the counter and set them down.

Iris: "I would like to buy all of these, how much?"

The shopkeep closed his book and looked at me, his face stern and stoic, before looking at the pile of knowledge I gathered.

Book keeper: "Hrm... Three maps, one of GD 13, one of the Surrounding district mountains, and one of the entirety of the GSU and surrounding oceans? let's see, those come up to... 2360 mou. Then the books. 'Feller's guide to beasts', 'The art of exotic dismantling', 'Frontier Engineering Sciences', and 'A Wanderer's Guide to the Union' huh? You've picked some interesting books, missy. Looking to become a scholar? These all come up to 4380 mou. 6740 In total."

It was quite a bit of money. I counted the money I currently had on hand and thought about it.

Iris: "...My budget is a bit tight at the moment. Can I pay half now and the other half in a couple days? I have some new equipment coming tomorrow which I plan to go hunting with."

He thought about my offer while leaning back in his seat and looking me over, judging my equipment and capability.

Bookkeeper: "...Tell ya what, I'll put it all on your tab and you can pay me back however you like. But. I want you to show me some Frontier magic. Do that, and we've got a deal."

Frontier magic? I thought about what I could show him. Then licht decided to take over for a moment when an idea came to mind. I stuck out my hand, palm up, and thought up the magic in my head. Then small lights flew up from my palm and detonated in the air with a miniature explosion, forming sparkles and patterns of light in the air. 'Fireworks'.

The Book keeper's jaw dropped and his eyes opened wide, watching the spectacle until it ended after a short minute. "Beautiful magic, miss..." he muttered, before making a satisfied smile and looking at me.

Book keeper: "I was shown yet another interesting thing today. Thank you, little miss, and enjoy your books and maps. Make sure to visit Sidewalk Parchment again."

Iris: "Thank you for the generosity, sir. I definitely will." I responded as I took my books and maps, stuffing them in my dimensional bag before leaving. With my objectives accomplished and my hood back up, I returned to the Tavern, Tallow's Hall, to read my books, and paid the owner 3 bronze and 3 lead. I was given the same room as before. Thanking the owner, Alm, I retired to my room to study for the day.

~~×~~×~~

I started studying 'A Wanderer's guide to the union' first, and by the time I knew it, it was already time for dinner. I closed my book and went downstairs for meal, which was diced potatoes and Arbor Meatloaf covered in Secret Sauce. When I asked what an Arbor was, it seems it was a big, leathery monster that walked on 4 stilted legs and ate cavern trees. It was a cautious creature and wouldn't attack hunters, but its meat was delicious so hunters often targeted it. And the hide was sturdy so it was useful for light armor.

The meal was delicious. The meatloaf was firm but broke apart with some force, and the sauce made my mouth water. And the diced potatoes balanced out the whole meal. Delicious and filling once again. I thanked Willow for another great meal and retired to my room to study again. Although I remember being 13 years old, recently my body felt older than that, maybe 15 or 16. I got this book to investigate that, and it did touch on it.

It seems children that level up early or increase their stats, especially Mana Capacity, they grow at an accelerated rate. Children with higher education often looked older than other, lower-born children of the same age. Now I understood why I seemed to be growing unnaturally fast. The book also detailed the general power rankings for people in the Union. It seems young kids around my age or younger would have a Capability around 20-30. While young adults would be around 50. Adults in their prime, who had learned a trade or otherwise, were around 80. People that have learned some sort of combat skill or had experience with fighting were about 100, and rookie hunters or engineers were anywhere around 100-160. Then C-rank hunters were normally from 180-400. Following that into B rank, the broadest rank including the highest amount of hunters, were 450-800ish. Then into A rank were experts at combat, who had power around 900-1400. And S rank hunters that were at the pinnacle of power for most of mankind, were around 1600-2500 being the most powerful man still alive and active in the union.

I checked my status.

Iris - Age 13 - Female - Level 14

Body - Sp: 26/116 MP 34/110 - Dust Poisoned, Battered

Stats - Str: 14, Dex: 18, Agi: 20, End 12, Int: 22 Luk: -

Skills - Parallel Thought {1}, Sword skill {1}, Gunsmithing {1}, Mental Resistance {3}, Disease Resistance {1}, Mana Control {3}, Dagger Skill {2}, Physical Up {2}, Critical Point {1}, Dark Vision {1}, Marksmanship {1}

Title: A Sapling in Stone

Capability: 110 (145 with PU)

I guess I'm still only as strong as a rookie. But these were just simple guidelines, as the book says, so maybe I'm better. Let's not get complacent, I should always assume my opponent is stronger.

The book also mentioned the method to acquire Appraisal and Falsify. It seemed he used these skills abundantly in his travels, the author I mean. Licht put the pieces together quickly and used appraisal on the Steamgun we bought.

Custom 10mm Steamgun manufactured by Patton. 

Price: 15k mou

The grip is comfortable to hold and, when empowered with Mana, can pierce most conventional armor.

Mana conductivity: Grade A

...I'll pretend I didn't see the true price. But this steamgun really is something else. I was lucky to get it. Afterwards, I continued studying until I was too tired to keep going, and went to sleep in the world's comfiest bed.

4