Chapter 198
514 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"King Namean? Don't tell me he was a lion..."

"So you've heard of him?"

"..."

Hei couldn't help recalling the words of the Heavens.

"W... Was he slain by Hercules?"

"Hercules?" asked Rhava. "I'm not familiar with that name."

"Me neither," added Shiva "The most prominent human of that time period should have been Ryza, whom they called the Heaven-blessed. He was the one who ultimately bested King Namean in individual combat, ushering in the Age of Upheaval."

"The Age of Upheaval?"

"The human tribe," answered Rhava, "changed the previously established paradigm. Their standardised cultivation techniques along with their use of tools and medicine allowed even their weaker members to contend with powerful beasts."

"In a sense," added Shiva, "it could be said that at that time, the human tribe collectively exceeded the limits of their bloodline."

"I see. So that's why it was like that..."

"Hm?"

"Ah, it's nothing. Tell me more about this King Namean."

"The legends state he had humble origins. It is said he was born ordinary among the lion tribe and remained unremarkable for the majority of his youth. If he had one outstanding quality, it would be his courage. He was said to possess enough for ten."

"Wanting to test his limits," Shiva continued, "he signed up to be a hunter, subjecting himself to numerous near-death experiences. His courage allowed him to charge forth where others would turn back, resulting in him performing many meritorious deeds."

"He soon became a squad leader, and his leadership skills were made manifest. His hunting party would accomplish hunts previously thought impossible, bringing back bountiful harvests to the tribe."

"He rose to the rank of small chief, and led his subjects to numerous victories, culminating in his acquisition of a big chief's territory. To those who knew him, it seemed almost inevitable that he would become the next king of the lion tribe, and he did not disappoint."

"However, once he had gained the crown, and once he had looked over his subjects, he grew dissatisfied. He abdicated the throne and went on a pilgrimage, searching for the limits of his potential."

"He had almost been forgotten when news of a strange creature started to arrive. It was said that a powerful beast who called himself the Namean Lion was going around challenging the kings of various tribes. Word would spread of his every victory, and before long, he shook the continent with the news that he had bested the King of Beasts."

"From that day onward, he would be known as King Namean. Or so the story goes."

"Hm... So he transformed during this pilgrimage of his?"

"According to legend," answered Shiva. "But it's easier said than done if someone wants to replicate it. In the first place, no one knows for sure if any of that actually happened the way it's described. Sure, it's possible that King Namean truly surpassed his limits, but isn't it equally possible that the story was made up by the lion tribe to increase the renown of their king?"

"Whether it's true or not, it doesn't hurt to look into it."

"That brings us to the second problem. He never shared his methods. All the legend states is that he surpassed his limits after leaving the territory of the lion tribe."

"Is that so?"

"I mean... at the very least, the version of the legend we were taught never included information on how he did it. But if he did pass it on, the most likely place would probably be the Hall of the Ancients, where many of the titans of old are said to have left guidance for their successors. But even that is probably a dead end. Countless beasts have taken on its trials hoping to find out the secret, but none have succeeded."

"Hall of the Ancients, huh?"

"It's a place that appears once every 60 years," Rhava explained. "But as Shi-"

"Say no more. That's the place."

"Huh?"

"Our first inheritance side quest. I was wondering when it would arrive."

"Side... quest...?"

"This is where my genius kicks in, dear siblings of mine. Prepare to be amazed."

Glances were exchanged.

"Tch. Look. You just told me that this Hall of the Ancients appears once every 60 years, right?"

"Yes..."

"And 60 years is a pretty long time, right?"

"It is..."

"How long until it appears?"

The two tried to recall the timeframe.

"It should be some time this year," answered Rhava.

"Some time this year. Pretty convenient, no? Almost too convenient."

"I suppose... If one looked at it a certain way, one could say it arrived just as you sought after it."

"And that is the crux of my argument."

"What do you mean?"

"You have heard it said that the hall appears every 60 years."

"Yes...?"

"But I say to you, the hall appears exactly when I need it to."

The two exchanged glances.

"That... makes no sense..."

Hei chuckled.

"Of course it wouldn't make sense to you. You aren't main characters."

""...""

"Yeah... We're gonna go now..."

"It was... interesting to meet you, Hei."

Hei watched as the wolf siblings turned and walked away.

They looked back once, clearly feeling a sense of pity, but shook their heads as they continued on.

Confused, Hei looked over to Tianlan.

"Was it something I said?"

21