Book 1: Chapter 16 (The Magic of Reading)
34 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16

            Bayla had shifted her Aqua Armor back into the white sweater with the black skirt and high socks she had worn to the concert before.

“You sure seem to like that outfit Luis picked out,” said Vince.

Bayla spun around. “I will not have legs for much longer; I may as well show them off. I am sure they are delightful.”

“For a whale, you sure fish for compliments a lot.”

Bayla stopped on the brick road, spinning around and pouting at Vince. “So you do not think I have nice legs?”

“Nobody’s saying that,” he said. “Just it’s rude to talk about a Landmaiden like that unless you’re mates.”

“Another taboo!” Bayla smirked, showing her pointed teeth. “You have my permission to praise me as often as you like.”

He shook his head, trying to look solemn. “You met Ma. She’s a stickler, and if word got back I was anything less than a gentleman, I’d never hear the end of it.”

“Says the Landman who shared my bed last night.”

“Not by choice!”

Bayla let it drop, smirking at his obvious embarrassment. At least nobody’s around to watch me get teased. Like Vince had predicted, the streets of the tourist district were dead that time of the morning on a Sunday. Anybody who didn’t take the last ferry home is probably sleeping off last night’s party, and townies never come here unless they have to. It gave him a chance to speak openly with Bayla, though his head stayed on a pivot just in case anybody was eavesdropping.

 “Something’s been bothering me,” said Vince. They were making their way towards a local pancake house. “There can’t be too many whales out there like you, right?”

“I thought you said you weren’t going to praise me,” she replied. “Vince, of course there’s nobody like me.”

“Not like that,” he said. “I mean, Landmen keep orcas in tanks at water parks.”

“What? What for?” asked Bayla.

“For entertainment,” said Vince, suddenly regretting his happy memories of a trip to SeaWorld, one of the only long vacations he had ever taken with Ava. “They make the whales do tricks for the audience.”

“Nonsense,” huffed Bayla. “Who could keep us trapped like that?”

“Exactly! It must be miserable for them; if they could transform and walk out, they would’ve. So, how many magical orcas are there? Is it, like, ten percent? One percent?” Vince took the lead up a set of wooden stairs, leading onto a raised porch that led to an antique bookstore. The only person he knew who went there was Luis, and that was because he was trying to make time with some new employee.

“You’ve lost your sense,” she said. “We are all able to cast magic, though some are more skilled than others. You Landmen might be able to slay one of us, but you could never keep us if we did not will it.”

Vince’s brow furrowed. “But…”

The door to the bookstore slammed open, and a redhead stepped out. This must be Luis’s crush. Vince could see why Luis kept trying; she had an exotic beauty to her. Vince could not quite place her ethnicity; his best guess would be Greek or Middle Eastern, though the red hair and grey eyes felt like an odd match. Vince thought she gave off a hippie vibe, which was common enough on Fin Island. She was dressed in a green apron paired with a set of granny glasses that made her seem like the Platonic ideal of a small book shop employee.

“Good morning!” She was breathing heavily, and she seemed slightly frazzled. “Good morning,” she repeated after taking a moment to straighten up, sounding much more reserved.

“Good morning,” repeated Vince, unable to help but smile. “Have we met before? You seem awfully familiar.”

Her eyes flew open. “O-oh, I bet you say that to all the girls.”

“What do you want?” snapped Bayla, stepping between Vince and the clerk. He might have been too friendly.

There was something oddly familiar about the clerk, but Vince just could not place it. Probably just because Luis keeps bringing her up.

“We’re having a special this morning,” she said. “Couples get twenty percent off any book in the shop! Come on in; it’s only valid for the next half hour.”

Vince sighed. Not that Bayla’s going to have much use for a book when she’s back in the ocean. “We appreciate the offer, but we’ve got somewhere to be.”

“What is a ‘book’, exactly?” asked Bayla.

Vince expected any number of obvious questions from the clerk, but she left the bizarre comment alone. “The words of a young woman who absolutely needs a good book. I will not take no for an answer!”

The clerk grabbed Bayla’s arm, pulling her through the open door. The orca must have been off balance; even with her greater height, the clerk would not have won out against Bayla’s superhuman strength if she’d been resisting with sure footing. Or she really is curious.

The door slammed in Vince’s face, and he found it locked when he tried the handle. “Hey! Let me in!”

After a minute, Bayla shoved the door open, the redhead struggling fruitlessly to hold her back. She released her charge reluctantly, which Vince found strange.

Bayla proved too distracting for him to focus on it. Her dark eyes sparked with excitement. “Vince, why didn’t you tell me about books? These are fascinating!”

Vince raised an eyebrow. “You know that after a minute?”

She held up a children’s picture book about sea life. “This is like the Week of Sharks that Luis showed me, only the images are still! This might be even better magic.” Vince chopped his hand across his throat, but Bayla did not understand the international gesture for ‘cut it out’. “There are even printed words! I thought you only used them for signs.” She ran a finger under one of the sentences, surprising Vince with her smooth reading. “The killer whale is a sleek and efficient predator, able to hunt anything in its environment.” She flashed him a toothy grin. “You call us killer whales? That is proper deference.”

Vince chuckled and addressed the clerk. “She’s got a real imagination on her, doesn’t she? Takes the cosplay a little far.”

Bayla tilted her head. “Cosplay?”

The redhead pasted on a smile, but Vince could tell it was forced. She must have been having a rough morning, too. “She certainly is enthusiastic; it didn’t take her long to find a new book. How would you like to go find yourself something?”

Vince shrugged. “Sure, why not?” He caught a glance of her nametag. “Thanks, Nora.”

That sense of familiarity struck him again. He studied her face intently. Red hair and a name that started with an ‘n’? Who did he know like that? It was at the tip of his mind, but it was like a puzzle with a few missing pieces.

Her eyes widened, and Vince realized he was leering at her. He sighed, kicking himself internally. Good job, creep, making the clerk feel weird! Now you’ll have to buy something! He met her grey eyes and he summoned his own smile. “Where’s your fantasy section?”

She pointed him to the furthest row of bookshelves, where he gladly retreated. He was so relieved that he did not notice Nora guiding Bayla towards a different section of the store.

****************

“If you enjoyed that picture book, maybe you would like something a little more advanced.” Nanora knew she could not force the orca anywhere, but she did gently pull on her arm.

Bayla nodded, letting Nanora guide her. “Why not?”

Nanora let out her own sigh of relief as Vince turned away. Thank goodness! He nearly recognized me! My disguise mask ought to be flawless. She concluded the poacher was even more dangerous than she had thought. Either he has astounding mental discipline, or powerful magic of his own. She considered the shorter woman at her side. He must be a rogue wizard, and a powerful one at that; how else could he transform her so completely and ensnare her mind? He seemed a bit young, but what was visible age to a master of transmogrification?

She had never dealt with a victim of mind control before, but her manuals said to be gentle at first. “He seems… nice. Does he treat you well?”

Bayla’s chuckled. “Of course. He is smitten with me. He does what I ask of him and dotes on me; he even shared his bed with me.”

Nanora’s fury peaked, and only concern about destroying that wonderful Mr. Vorbeck’s shop kept her from summoning a sky drake right on top of his monstrous head. How dare he take advantage of her like that? That brute! That enemy of women!

Bayla’s eyebrow raised. “Why do you ask? Are you interested in Vince?”

“Absolutely not!” spat Nanora. She grabbed a book at random from the shelf, which turned out to be a yellowed treatise on raising ducks for profit. “You seem to like nature, maybe you should give this a read.”

Her toothy, knowing grin as she accepted the book did nothing for Nanora’s mood. “You are protesting too much. Worry not; I will keep your secret.”

“Thank you?” For the first time, a hint of doubt entered Nanora’s mind. She seems like she is still in command of herself. Can the ensorcelled keep up a conversation so well? She berated herself for skipping that class to learn another summon.

A skittering sound from the bookshelf above reminded her about Ureq. The sound did not evade Bayla’s notice. “What was that?”

“Oh? I don’t know what you mean.” Nanora wanted to check for her drepanike, but that would only give away his position.

“There’s vermin up there! I can see the feathers!” The orca jabbed a finger upward, showing the end of the feather duster. There was a predatory glint in Bayla’s eyes as she checked for a way up. A rolling ladder was propped up against the bookcase, and Bayla had tossed aside her book and gone up three rungs before Nanora could blink twice.

Bayla’s triangular teeth bit down, but instead of flesh and bone, she only got a mouthful of dust and feathers. The orca sneezed, dropping the duster from her mouth and nearly toppling the ladder over.

Nanora mentally apologized to Ureq. I know rapid summons hurt, but I could not let her find you! I’ll get you a nice treat next time, I promise! The witch rushed over to the ladder to steady it. She chanced a look at her charm bracelet, and while Ureq’s charm was nowhere near as damaged as poor Tanos’, it still had hints of scorching. I can still summon him, though it will not be pleasant for either of us.

“Miss, I’ll have to ask you to get down from there! Miss!”

Bayla looked down, letting out a started squeal. It was only a six-foot drop, but the way her eyes goggled, it might as well have been six hundred. “Eep!”

Vince rushed around the corner. “Bayla?”

“Please tell her that those are only for employees!” shouted Nanora. I may as well use the sway he has over her.

Vince let out an exasperated sigh. “Come on, Bayla, you’re making a scene.”

As soon as Bayla spotted the blond man, she gulped, gripping the ladder more firmly. With her eyes squeezed shut, she made her way down. Once her feet were back on terra firma, the fear evaporated.

The poacher looked at Nanora apologetically. “I think it’s about time we head out.”

“What is that racket?” demanded a muffled, accented voice from the back room. Mr. Vorbeck tried the door, but Nanora’s chair did its job.

“Nothing, sir,” she called out. “We simply have some customers!”

“At this time of the morning?” The chair did not budge on iota. “Nora, what did I tell you about leaving the doorway clear?”

“Sorry, sir.” Not seeing another way, she strode over and removed the chair.

Nanora flinched as Mr. Vorbeck glared at her over his nose, living up to that vulturine impression of hers. “This is the third time! I would almost think you’re doing it on purpose!”

She laughed nervously. “Clumsy me.”

He clicked his tongue. “We will speak later.” He turned his attention to his patrons. “Good morning! You will have to excuse me; I was not expecting to have customers so early in the morning. It’s usually rather dead; what brings you to my shop?”

Nanora’s stomach churned as she tried to think of something convincing. I wish lies came to me more easily.

Vince coughed into his hand. “She invited us in for the couple’s special. I’m sorry if we disturbed you.” He nudged Bayla, who had the good graces to look shamefaced.

Mr. Vorbeck cocked his head. “Excuse me? Couple’s special?”

Nanora’s eyes widened. Oh no. “I might have promised them a discount. You are always saying we barely break even on Sundays, so it seemed like a good idea.”

“Hm.” Mr. Vorbeck considered her, his arms braced behind his back. “I suppose. It is nice to have a little life in here now and again.” He stepped over to the counter. “Are you two done yet?”

“I think I shall explore more first,” said Bayla. From her feral, toothy grin, Nanora wondered if she was hunting for more ‘vermin’. “These books are a most diverting magic.”

Nanora sighed. I cannot act against Vince with Mr. Vorbeck around. I might as well give this poor, brainwashed blackfish a nice experience. “Let’s find you some more books I think you will enjoy.”

Vince turned to follow, but Vorbeck’s hand pressed down on his shoulder. “You, you’re Ava’s son, aren’t you? Francis?”

“Huh? No, I’m Vince,” he replied.

“Hm, I see.” Vorbeck peered at the youth before nodding once. “I thought so. I’ve seen you around town. You must not be much of a reader, though.”

“What makes you say that?” Vince felt oddly guilty about the declaration, even if it was true.

“This is the first time you’ve darkened my door,” he replied. “I’m sure a young buck like you finds other things to keep busy.” He spared a glance to the two young women over at the romance shelf.

Vince wanted to object, before stopping himself. Why deny it? Because it’s none of his business, that’s why. “Hiking and video games, mostly. Well, that and my side hustle.”

Vince had put out the conversation hook, seeing if Vorbeck would bite. If I’m going to get so I can stop working at Ma’s place, I’m going to need more clients than her, a couple of shops, and Mr. Schneider.

The older man raised an eyebrow. “Oh? What do you do, exactly?”

“Web design, a little online advertising.” Vince’s heartbeat increased; by God, he hated sales pitches. “I noticed that your shop doesn’t have a webpage.”

“Very deliberately,” replied Vorbeck. “Do you know what happens when you put yourself online, Vincent?”

“You increase your visibility and open yourself up to a new customer base?” He cursed himself for the way his voice attenuated at the end. Something about Vorbeck’s demeanor made him feel smaller.

“You’re competing with every yahoo with a webpage. Hell, you’re competing with Yahoo, sometimes. I’m a boutique shop, not the next Amazon.”

“I dunno, Mr. Schneider’s doing well for himself. He was just telling me about it yesterday.”

“Ah yes, the new boat,” said Vorbeck in a weary tone. “He won’t shut up about it, either. I never saw the appeal of fishing, though. I’m sorry, my boy, but I like the way I’m running things now.”

“Think of it this way: Nora there could be boxing up books to ship out on a lazy Sunday instead of offering random discounts to passersby.” Vince leaned on the counter, trying to project confidence. “Besides, there’s a lot of guys like me who don’t spend their time reading paperbacks. There’s more of us every day. Let the internet find the customers still out there for you.”

Vorbeck studied him closely. “By God, what a depressing sales pitch. You come into my shop and threaten me with obsolescence if I don’t buy your services. What nerve.”

Vince’s heart sank an instant before Vorbeck’s hearty laughter gave him emotional whiplash.

The older man fished a business card out of his pocket and held it out to Vince between two fingers. “I respect nerve; it’s what gets you places. Give me a call sometime when I’m not so occupied, and we can talk about details.”

Vince knew that he should not look too eager, but he could not repress a broad smile. He noticed the card was awfully ornate, with a golden, metallic emblem on the back. It must have been expensive to print. Maybe he doesn’t need an online store after all.

He forced himself to set aside those doubts. “Count on it, sir.”

Well, if I have to see Bayla off, at least I can salvage the day a little bit.


If you would like to read ahead, please consider checking me out on Patreon!

2