Book 1: Chapters 37, 38, and Epilogue (Book End)
55 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37

            “Wake up, Vince! You have been a-trance long enough.”

            Vince wanted to disagree with Bayla’s command, but his limbs and eyes snapped into action. He started at the unfamiliar surroundings, before realizing they were at the foot of the Greene Point light house. A small patch of grass surrounded the base of the island, which looked much more comfortable than the exposed rock around them.

            “When did we get here?”

            “You slept through it all,” said Luis, who knelt down next to him. “Had me worried, man.”

            “Not I,” said Bayla. “I have utmost faith in my champion.”

            Vince smirked at that. “Glad one of us does.” He glanced about and leapt to his feet when he saw Marazza with his arms and legs restored, kneeling not ten feet away. “You! What are…”

            He trailed off, the panic ebbing as he saw that the shark was wrapped in hasty bonds of duct tape, rope and chains around his arms, legs, and mouth. They had also applied Murphy’s early lesson about proper tying.

“Where’d all that come from?” asked Vince.

            “My van,” said Luis.

“Just how long was I out? That’s a good, long hike,” said Vince.

Luis nodded towards the witch. “We have someone with a magic broom, remember? Still, you all just about cleared me out. You’re lucky I like you all.” He waggled his eyebrows at Nanora. “Especially some of you.”

            Nanora paid him no mind. Vince thought she legitimately had not noticed; she was busy fiddling with what he took to be a magical artifact. Its shape reminded him of a graphing compass, and as she traced patterns in the air, a green door gradually took shape.

Marazza continued staring ahead. His wounds had mostly healed, but the fight seemed to have been snuffed out of him. As a bit of extra security, Murphy had his service pistol pressed against the side of the shark’s head. “He wasn’t too impressed about those bullets before, sir. What if he breaks loose?”

“Doubt he can grow a new brain,” replied Murphy. “Bayla told me right where to aim, too. Too bad for you, tough guy.”

Vince had almost forgotten about the princess; Marazza had a way of commanding his attention. Bayla was back to her original human height, her eye spots and sharpened teeth restored to their proper shape, and her Aqua Armor clothes returned to the base sleeveless dress. She watched Nanora’s magical ritual with rapt attention.

A wave of relief washed over Vince, and he dashed over, embracing Bayla with such force that he swept the diminutive woman off her feet. She was facing away, but Vince could just imagine her face turning beet red.

“Unhand me! What are you doing? Stop this at once! Everyone is watching!”

He felt his grip begin to weaken, but he found he could resist the command. Either it’s because I’m awake, or she doesn’t really mean it.

“No way,” he said. “Do you realize what we just got through intact? Crap, if this isn’t the time to celebrate, when is?”

Bayla struggled against his enhanced strength for a moment before giving in. “If you must carry on, at least let me face you.”

That order he obeyed, confirming his suspicion about her deep blush. He gave her some distance, though he kept his hands on her shoulders. “You’re human again.”

Bayla nodded. “It was simpler to change my form when we were not being threatened by that mindless beast. I could truly focus.”

“By the Creator,” said Nanora, still focused on her task, “how you managed to avoid tearing yourself in half is beyond me.”

The orca sighed, the sound carrying a whale song undertone. “This form is natural to me now.”

“For the time being,” said Nanora. “I am sure my coven will be able to find some way of restoring things.”

Vince frowned. “How long until you two leave?”

“We three,” corrected Nanora, gesturing at their captive. “Marazza has not spoken a word since his defeat, but we have ways of loosening his tongue.”

“As does my pod,” snarled Bayla. “We will learn who empowered this gutter-fish and slew my podmates, one way or the other.”

Murphy tensed up at that. “Guess he isn’t in my jurisdiction. Still seems like a shabby way to treat a perp.”

“He was going to eat you,” said Luis, unconsciously taking a step back from the bound shark.

Murphy’s eyes narrowed. “Almost forgot about that in all the excitement. Screw him, then.”

Vince looked away from the sheriff and the captive, instead staring down at Bayla himself. “Guess this is goodbye,” he said, sounding dejected.

“For a time,” said Bayla. “It is my teeth that will close around this summoner’s throat, remember? I will not leave this to the witches, no matter what this one says!”

“We’ll see,” said Nanora, trying to sound diplomatic. “The coven may see things your way, but we usually do not allow travel between the two worlds.”

“Nothing’s usual about this,” said Vince. “Bayla… Princess Wakerider, I guess.”

“Whichever pleases you,” she said. “Neither is my true name; you lack the proper vocal range for true speech.”

“So do you,” he countered.

“That is a temporary ailment,” she said. She put her hand on his. “Do you intend to release me?”

He really did not want to, but he was interrupted before Bayla could force the issue. The green, luminous doorway before Nanora rippled like the surface of a lake, its shape resolving into the outline of a woman dressed in a uniform like Nanora’s. All of her features were rendered in a single, green shade, but her self-assured air was still obvious to Vince.

“Nanora! You are late with your report. You had me worried.” The woman’s rebuke had a motherly softness to it, with a note of concern underneath. “How goes your search?”

It reminded Vince that if Ava had not called the police yet, it was only because she intended to murder him for making her worry. He checked his phone, finding it intact in spite of everything he had gone through. No bars; that’s a relief.

Nanora let out a nervous chuckle. “It’s been a hectic day, Sister Kofana. I did locate Princess Wakerider, and we captured the main agent of the monster who has been trading in the ivory.” She gestured towards Marazza.

The green woman smiled contentedly. “A fine job, Sister. Though… who is we?” Her eyes scanned the gathered group, her placid expression turning to one of horror. “Downplaners? Four of them?”

“I am no downplaner,” snapped Bayla. “I am the princess you sought.”

“You look awfully human.”

Bayla twitched. “Not by choice. Still, I am she. Your sister did an adequate job, even if she needs to stop leaping to conclusions!”

The witch cocked her head. “Nanora, what in the world happened to her?”

“It is a long story, and one I would rather tell when everything is settled,” replied the Ivory Witch. “Will we be able to fully pierce the Veil here? I know things have been unstable.”

Kofana nodded. “In this case, it has been too easy to make passage through the Veil. That will work in our favor. We will want to make a Type Three breach in this case, since you will have company.”

Nanora nodded, turning back to the locals. “I am not entirely sure how you will get back to the mainland…”

“Could’ve said something about it before the whale brought us here on that fake boat,” said Murphy, his eyes not leaving the shark for an instant.

“I did earlier,” protested Nanora.

“It seems simple enough to me,” said Bayla. “We bring them with us, then send them back.” She smirked up at Vince. “This one is my Champion now, after all.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” said Vince.

“If all the witches look like those two, I’m on board,” said Luis, eyeing Kofana’s projected image with admiration.

“Out of the question,” said Kofana. “Without a strong anchor point on both sides, they could end up anywhere within a hundred miles of Fin Island, and from Nanora’s reports, that could be the middle of the ocean.”

Luis’ eyes widened. “Never mind; not that you aren’t both hot, but—”

“Oh, hush,” said Nanora, shooting Luis an exasperated look.

Before Luis could defend his honor, Vince covered his mouth, craning his head. “Wait, does anyone else hear that? That whine in the distance.”

Bayla nodded, though everyone else assembled seemed clueless. Another perk of Champion-dom, I guess. Vince spotted the coastguard vessel in the distance, making a beeline for them.

“Who called them in?” demanded Murphy.

“Probably those hikers,” said Luis. “They seemed kinda pissed. Betcha they called in about the stranded whale and found out nobody else knew about it.”

“Then we have no time,” said Kofana. “Say your goodbyes. Send your prisoner through first; the downplaners will struggle to deal with a mutant.”

“Can’t disagree with that,” said Murphy. He shifted behind Marazza, pressing his pistol against the back of his head, though shark’s large dorsal fin got in the way.

The shark sighed dejectedly and followed the order, stepping before Kofana’s shimmering image. Nanora and Kofana began babbling in a language Vince did not understand. The two waved their magical artifacts through the air, leaving bright green lines in their wake.

Bayla’s dark orbs met Vince’s own. “Vince, I owe you a debt I cannot repay.”

“Nah, it’s fine,” he said. “Nothing nobody else wouldn’t do. I’m just glad it was me.”

Her brows furrowed. “It is not ‘fine’. Not just anybody would go to the lengths you have for me, and I will be in no Landman’s debt. When I return, I will find some way to repay you.”

With Luis and Murphy present, he tried to hold back his tears, but found he could not entirely. “I’ll miss you, Bayla.”

“And I you, Vince. It is a shame we will not have the time to do the proper goodbye ritual again,” she said.

He hesitated, wondering if what he wanted to do was completely proper. She was a princess, everyone else was there, and who knew how she would take it? It seemed smarter to send her on her way with a hug and a heartfelt goodbye.

Screw that. The smart thing to do would’ve been to run away from that sound yesterday.

“Do you know how Landmen say goodbye to a girl they like?” asked Vince.

“I cannot say I do,” said Bayla.

“It’s way shorter.” Before he could stop himself, his lips met hers. She tensed up at the unexpected contact, but relaxed as he kept it up.

“My man,” said Luis.

Vince was not sure how long they stayed like that, but when Murphy coughed, he took it as a sign to wrap it up.

“What was that?” demanded Bayla, her pale face a brilliant red.

“It’s called a kiss,” he said.

“That is faster,” said Bayla, her fingers touching her lips.

“Did you mind it?” asked Vince.

“Not one bit,” said Bayla.

“That was very romantic,” said Nanora with strain in her voice, “but the portal is open! You, shark mutant! Step through.”

Marazza’s eyes narrowed, but he complied. It was a challenge for him to move with his legs bound, but he shuffled his way towards the brilliant green door. As he crossed the threshold, the straight lines of the door began to wobble and distort.

“Kofana?” said Nanora.

“I do not know what is happening,” said the other witch, her voice breaking up like a bad radio signal. “The interference is from your side!”

“What? No, I did everything perfectly,” said Nanora, frantically drawing through the air with her magical instrument. It was for nothing, though, and the doorway vanished along with Marazza. A burst of green magical dust filled the air for a fraction of a second before vanishing.

“Shit,” muttered Vince.

“Kofana?” Nanora’s voice was frantic as she tried to reestablish the link, but she might as well have used a compass for all the good her artifact did. “Kofana! Please, you have to respond!”

“Nanora… completely… blocked… stable…” Kofana’s ghostly voice, just audible over the waves and the approaching vessel, echoed from nowhere, before finally being cut off.

“What happened?” snapped Bayla, finally breaking from Vince’s grasp. “Open that door again!”

The Ivory Witch slid to her knees. “I can’t. This hole in the Veil has been completely sealed.”

“Then find us another,” said Bayla.

“There isn’t one,” said the witch, her voice breaking.” At least, not a stable one on this continent. We’re stuck here.”

Those assembled took in this revelation in silence.

Luis was the first to speak up. “I guess that means we can go on that date after all.”

 

 

Chapter 38

            The rest of the day was a blur for Vince, and the sun had vanished before they got back to civilization. Without much time to prep, the group had gotten their stories mostly straight. Vince knew it was not a great cover, but it fit the facts well enough. The Coast Guard had wondered why Murphy had been so far out of his way to help with an impromptu rescue. How had he even known about the two young women stranded at the light house? Why had he not radioed in for help? Vince made a little sense as an avid hiker, but why the plumber? Where was Murphy’s boat that had supposedly been lost during the rescue, and why did multiple eyewitnesses claim he had claimed there was a stranded whale involved?

            Murphy was due for a formal reprimand for dereliction of duty and not following proper procedures. Vince was not sure who had wronged who the most, but remembering the feel of the gun at the back of his head made him enjoy watching the sheriff sweat. By the time Tammy had showed up to drive Murphy back to his abandoned car, he was muttering nervously about his pension.

            Nanora had tried to settle him. “Don’t worry, Constable Murphy. You gave us valuable aid, and I will vouch for you.”

            He sighed as he walked towards the squad car. “Great, because you’re so credible.”

            Nanora nodded once, either ignoring or not noticing the jab. “Exactly. You are not a bad man, in spite of what transpired before.”

            Murphy paused on his death march and looked back over his shoulder. “Y’know what? I appreciate that.”

Ava Meyer accepted the cockamamie story that Sergeant Murphy had deputized him more readily than the Coast Guard. Guess it pays to have credibility to burn. The crew, minus a chastised Murphy, stood in the Knight ‘n Day’s parking lot, enjoying generously discounted bottled waters.

“I still gotta make a living,” she said as Luis handed her a handful of bills.

Luis was all smiles. “Of course, Ms. M. And might I say, you’re looking—”

Ava cut him off, looking Vince right in the eye. “You still should’ve called,” she said. “I could have helped.”

He shuddered at the thought of what Marazza would have done with his mother. “Trust me, Ma, you were better off sitting this one out. It was a minor disaster. Besides, who’d run the shop?”

The blonde woman shook her head. “Even then, I thought you were…” She trailed off, shaking her head again. “Doesn’t matter. Everything’s fine. Well, except inventory. I expect to see you bright and early tomorrow to help me finish up.”

“Least I can do,” said Vince.

Ava turned to Bayla. “I’m amazed you felt up to a hike after I stitched you up yesterday.”

            “I thought I was not going to be on Fin Island for long,” Bayla replied, looking downcast. “I might as well have waited; it seems my stay has been prolonged.”

            “Oh? What did you bring you…”

            Vince forced a loud yawn that went on longer than he had expected. Guess I really am bushed. “Well, if I’m coming bright and early tomorrow, we need to get these ladies home.”

            “Guess so,” said Ava, sounding disappointed. “You call me the instant you get home, you got it?”

            “I’ll text—”

            “After today, you’ll call.”

            Vince let out a nervous chuckle. “I’ll call.”

            “Good boy,” she replied, patting his cheek.

            Once Ava had gone back to her post in the Knight ‘n Day, Nanora hefted her staff. “I need to be returning home as well; I have a communicator there, and the coven is bound to try and reach me.”

            “We could drive you back,” said Luis.

            Nanora pasted on a smile. “I appreciate the offer, but I prefer to go myself. I have some thinking to do.” She turned to face Vince and Bayla. “Will you be alright, Princess Wakerider?”

“As well as I can be, I suppose,” she said. Vince had thought she had seemed oddly quiet since the door to Avalas had been slammed in their faces.

Nanora sighed. “I can only hope that whatever befell the Veil does not last long.”

“What did happen back there?” asked Vince. “I don’t really understand any of this, but it didn’t look like you did anything wrong.”

The witch sucked in her cheek pensively. “The ivory traders must have had a way to get back and forth. However, I cannot imagine any downplaner being able to disrupt our magics.”

“That downplaner summoned three beasts to assault us, too,” said Bayla. “They are your match in magics.”

Nanora’s brow furrowed. “I almost prefer to think I ruined everything. Otherwise, there is a powerful magic user on this island, and I have no clue where she is.”

*****************

            Marazza was not sure where he was at first. He had traveled through the Veil many times as his master’s hound, but it never became any less disorienting. The paradoxical scents bothered him more than the streaming lights or booming sounds. He was a shark of few words, but even an educated Landman would struggle to describe how a place could smell fresh and rotting all at once.

            His nose settled upon familiar scents as he reoriented himself. Bones. Mildew. A hint of blood that got his own pumping. Through his good eye, he could make out a back room full of crates and boxes, as well as gleaming whalebones hanging on the walls. He did not know what the instruments lining the walls were for, but he knew exactly where he was.

The familiarity was comforting and terrifying all at once; Marazza knew he would have to present himself for inspection in short order. He was still held in the ad hoc bonds the landmen had inflicted on him once the effect of the silver had worn off, but he managed to stand. He loomed over the robed figure who stood before him, impatiently tapping his foot.

“I have failed you,” said Marazza.

“To put it mildly,” replied the master. He raised his hand, and Marazza expected another blow. Instead, he prodded at the shark’s battered face. “You look awful. Can you even see out of that eye?”

“Light and some shapes,” he replied.

“We can’t have that!” The master spun on his heel, making his way over to a walk-in cooler. He vanished from sight, returning in a moment with a scaly haunch the size of his head. “This lesser drake should have enough magic to get you shipshape again.”

Marazza’s remaining teeth made short work of the meat. He did not even mind the frigid taste. The master was wise in the ways of magic, and even as his belly filled, strength flowed through his limbs again, and the scattered images from his wounded eyes resolved themselves. A flex of his superhuman muscles busted the hasty shackles.

He was a messy eater at the best of times, and one of the master’s other servants, a crow with uncanny eyes, fluttered over to peck at the scraps.

“Well? How did you like it?” he asked. The robed Landman drew close.

“Meat is meat and is always tasty, but that was better meat.” Marazza winced, expecting the slap that had not yet come.

“You need to calm down,” he said. “I’m not going to hit you.”

“Why not? You did before.”

He pulled back his hood, revealing Gottfried Vorbeck’s birdlike face. The man’s smile unsettled Marazza; he should have been furious.

“Marazza, do you know how many summoning charms I possess?”

“I cannot say I do.”

“I had seven,” he replied. “Now I have four, and I only have the knowhow and materials to fix one. I also burnt through a kilo of powdered magic whalebone to intercept you from the witch’s clutches.”

“I am grateful, master.” Marazza meant it, but he was also unsure what the master wanted to hear. It seemed safe to say.

“You damned well better be!” His cold affability vanished, his eyes boring into Marazza’s soul. “I don’t strike you now because I no longer have options. The Veil is shut for us, too. That means no more reagents, no more product to sell in Avalas, and nothing for the occultists on our side of it.”

“You are upset with me,” offered Marazza.

Vorbeck’s mouth set. “Upset? No, I’m furious. However, I’ve invested too much in you to waste you now.”

Marazza looked away from Vorbeck, spotting the pecking crow again. His eyes still glowed, and Marazza thought he even smelled of magic. “You used him. That is how you knew to save me.”

“More reagents spent on remote sight,” said Vorbeck. “Stop reminding me of the tab you’ve worked up with me!”

“I won’t,” said Marazza. “I mean, I will not fail you again, Master.” It was the first thing Marazza had felt sure of since arriving in the curio shop’s back room. The whale and her champion were hardier prey than he had thought.

Good. It will not be boring when I hunt again.

 

 

Epilogue

            Bayla let out an irked click as Vince switched the lights on. She crouched next to the cage, studying the anole. Zeke was languidly sunning himself beneath the sunlamp. “Does he talk back?” She tapped on the glass, sending him skittering into an imitation hollow log. “Zeke?”

            “No, humans are the only things that talk on this side of Avalas.”

“Then why are you talking to him? You are behaving rather strangely.”

Vince had to think about that one. “Something to do, I guess.”

Bayla tilted her head in her fruitless search for the lizard. She gave up. “I am beginning to think you are an odd Landman.”

“Probably,” he admitted. He surveyed the cramped condo, letting out his own annoyed sigh. “It isn’t much, but you’re welcome to stay here until we figure this all out.”

Bayla fell silent, pretending to resume her lizard hunt.

            “There’s food in the fridge if you’re hungry,” he said. Still no response. “That’s the big white box; don’t leave the door open. It’s there to keep the food cool.”

            “Ah, I see,” she said, still not looking up from the cage. “Thank you for telling me. I know nothing of this bizarre hellhole.”

            Vince winced. “My place isn’t that small…”

            “Not your home, I mean this entire cursed world! A land of orca catchers, aggressive constables, perverts, and worthless witches!” She turned on him. “You are enjoying yourself, are you not?”

            “Huh? What do you mean?”

            “You did not want me to leave,” she said. “Now I am stranded here in a form not my own. I cannot swim home, and even that useless witch cannot conjure me a path! So, you must be overjoyed that I am trapped.”

            “Now hold on,” said Vince. “It’s been a hard day. Let’s not say anything we’ll regret, alright?”

            “So, you confess I am correct?” Her hands went to her hips, and the diminutive woman tried and failed to look up at him imposingly.

            “If you keep this up, you’ll be dead wrong,” he snarled, his anger boiling over. “I nearly died at least three times trying to keep you safe, you spoiled ingrate!”

            Bayla reacted to his words like he had struck her. “That you did, my champion. I-I did not mean to be so awful to you.” Tears leaked from her eyes, running down into her mouth. “This again? Even the taste reminds me of home!”

            Vince sighed. He was too tired for an argument with the distraught orca, especially when she was quick to apologize. She’s not as tough as she pretends to be. I wonder if she’s figured that out yet?

            “You’ll feel better in the morning,” he said. “We’ll have to find a space where we can fit a spare mattress around here later. I’ll take the chair tonight.”

“Whatever for? Your bed was fine for us before.”

“That’s not done,” he said.

“That ‘kiss’ from before,” she said, her dark eyes meeting his. “Is that something that is ‘done’?”

“That… I thought I wasn’t going to see you again. It just sort of happened. That’s really something for mates to do.” At least the way we did it…

Bayla scoffed at that. “Do not lie to me, Vincemeyer. I could tell you thought long and hard about it. You meant that, and I think it is another taboo you broke for me.”

“Yeah… yeah I guess I did. And it’s not that bad of a taboo, compared to knocking out a cop.” He winced at the memory; it almost seemed like it belonged to somebody else. “You’ve been a bad influence on me, y’know. You made a criminal out of me.”

“Champions obey a higher calling than the mere law,” she said, brushing off his concern. “Anyhow, what is one more taboo? I will not steal your trancing bed, but I know you will not let me take that small sitting platform. We are at an impasse, and I do not wish to compel you again.”

Her command over him was something else to hash out later. He yawned again. “Alright, just for tonight. Then we figure out another arrangement.”

“Splendid.” She flashed a toothy smile at him. “Besides, we are not seals, rutting at the slightest touch, as much as you might enjoy that.”

“Oh, as if you haven’t been staring at me every chance you get,” said Vince, grinning despite himself at the blush that elicited from the whale. “But no, no rutting tonight. I’ve got a headache.”

“That I can sympathize with.” She strode past him, collapsing on his bed. “Well? I do not wish to go into that abyssal deep trance without you at my side.”

That girl can really change gears in a second, can’t she?

“You are smirking at my expense,” she said, sounding accusatory.

“Just thinking about how weird this all is. You being here at all, I mean.”

“Is it so rare that you have a landmaiden in your bed?” she asked.

“Not just that,” he said, regretting the word ‘just’ as he sat down on the bed. “I mean, this whole situation seems impossible.”

“It is hardly ordinary for me,” said Bayla. “Still, I am glad that I have you at my side. I would not wish for another champion, or even a companion among the landmen.”

Vince looked the raven-haired beauty over. He felt much the same way, even if she had brought him trouble after trouble.

“Life’s definitely more interesting with you around,” he said, his head hitting the pillow.

“Do not become too accustomed,” she said. “This is a diverting journey, but I have duties to return to.”

“Right, right,” he said, sighing dejectedly. “Don’t worry. We’ll get this all sorted out, though. We’ll get you back to your real form, and we’ll get you back home.”

“Of course you will,” she said, sounding haughty as she hogged the covers. “I would not choose a poor champion. Though…” Her face drew closer. “I am in no hurry. This is an awful, dry, stormy world I find myself in, but you bring some magic to it.”

Me? Magical?

Vince broke the taboo again, their lips meeting briefly. He managed to stop himself from crossing more lines, though it was a near thing with the look of longing she gave him. He was sure he looked the same way.

Maybe…

In unison, they parted and rolled over, facing away from each other.

“I-I think I’ll go sit on the chair for a while,” said Vince. “Or else we might just…”

“A splendid idea,” said Bayla. “Perhaps Landman taboos exist for a reason.”

“I guess so. Sleep well.”

Bayla shuddered at the thought. “No such thing.”

He smirked down at her. “Trust me, you’ll come to like it.”

The chair was still as uncomfortable as it had been the night before, but he knew he could tolerate it. Giving up his bed was hardly the greatest sacrifice he had made for Bayla since he stumbled upon her. Fought the police, a witch, monsters, and a shark, all for a girl I barely know. Wouldn’t have believed I had it in me on Friday.

Yet, it all seemed worth it. He still had no idea what to make of the prideful woman, but he knew this much: he looked forward to figuring it out.


And that's the end of the first novel!

Thanks for reading everyone. Right now I'm shifting focus to my Magpie Wizard series; I've had three books completed and in need of editing for an Amazon release, and I'm making great progress there.

If you would like to follow me for updates on my writing, I post updates on my blog over at Substack. https://dbfassbinder.substack.com/

Orca Princess will return in 2023! I'll see you then.

0