chapter 4
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Girl's night out! - my sister squalled.

I grinned as I watched Riley bounce around the house in her pink lace dress, she was so delighted about the night being just for the two of us, free from work and cares. I was putting on my mascara when I heard her screams of excitement as she rushed into my room.

- You're ready? - she asked

I glanced in the mirror and nearly didn't recognize the woman I saw; it had been a while since I had dressed so girly: my green eyes were emphasized by the purple smoky eyes, and my athletic figure was encircled by delicate black lace. My dark hair was a cluster of gentle curls that enveloped my face. I chose to wear sneakers to complete my look, although I could hear the ticking of Riley's stilettos down the stairs. I took my purse and car keys and went after her.

We took a short drive to the local bar; having the option, I greatly liked to go by car, but I usually had to maintain a low profile for business and I could not allow someone to identify us by my license plate number, so we moved by train when we were on duty. We parked and went to the doorman to ask for admission, the music from inside the bar filling the building's parking lot.

- Long time no see - He smiled as he welcomed us.

- Roger! - I grinned at him as I hugged him.

- Stay out of trouble you two - he said as he hugged me back.

- Yes, sir - I chuckled and bowed to him with the military salute.

Roger rolled his eyes at my antics. He was a good man, a little older than us. We first met him ten years ago when I got into a fight because of a gig I had in the old downtown pub where he worked before getting employed at the local bar close to our apartment. I was not precise or systematic at the time, so every time I caused a significant upheaval because I had not yet established how I needed to behave during my obligations. I had shown him my fake badge, which I had acquired on eBay just in case I needed to save my ass in front of witnesses. He had let me leave once I had persuaded him that I was working undercover, but not before pointing out how unprofessional my approach had been. He had lost his job because of me that night though, and when he was hired by the local pub, we ran across one other again and we became friends and have been in contact ever since.

As soon as we stepped through the door, the scent of sweat, booze, and smoke irritated my extremely sensitive nose. Riley didn't enjoy the mix of scents either, judging by her contorted look, and I had to stop myself from retching. We swiftly made our way to the counter and grabbed two gin and tonics, then we made our way through the crowd to the door at the end of the dance floor. We were greeted with a row of pool tables shaded softly. I couldn't help grinning since Riley and I both enjoyed playing pool. Finding a clear table, we moved across the room while bopping our hips to the background music. We were the only women in the room, so we were definitely noticed. I could feel the eyes of all the male attendees on us. I put the triangle with the balls on the pool table as I said to Riley - You break? -

- Obviously- she retorted with a smile.

Her enthusiasm was contagious, and we both wanted a relaxing night like we used to do before I had dragged us both into the terrible scenario we had been in for the past 11 years.

- Do you need help with those? - inquired a young man approaching us while holding a pool stick in his hand.

Without even bothering to look at him, Riley leant over the pool table and smashed the cue ball through the triangle balls that scattered all over, putting two solid ones into the hole.

- No thank you – she muttered as she swung at another ball.

I tried to suppress a smile knowing how this story would end.

- you sure? - He winked at my sister before coming closer and attempting to lay a hand on her side. Riley quickly whirled around, placing the pool stick between the man and herself, her teeth showing as she let out a snarl.

- I'm fucking sure. Now leave – she said turning around to resume her game.

I chuckled out loud when he placed a hand on her back, stroking her exposed flesh.

Riley pivoted so quickly that I was worried her stilettos might break; the man had a bewildered face as his brain was still processing the movement that his eyes struggled to register.

- Touch me again, and I'll break your hand - she snapped at him.

- I like it when they resist - He mumbled to himself with a predatory smirk.

I watched my twin's eyes become purplish as his beast reared up, ready to claw the asshole in front of her for disrespecting her.

I giggled at the unusual pair in front of me, when two broad shoulders suddenly blocked my view of them.

- Allow me - A unique aura and a deep, vibrant voice that I recognized right away, interrupted my amusement.

My enigmatic train-hero had once more come to our aid. I rolled my eyes and thought, "Lucky me”. I had to confess, though, that I was curiously drawn to this man; perhaps it was just a curiosity about who and what he was.

- Hey duchbag - he said, drawing the young man's attention away from my sister and toward him. He hit him in the nose as soon as he looked at him, leaving the poor young pervert unconscious against the wall a few meters behind him.

- the lady told you no - He mocked him.

Then, turning, he questioned me – Want to play? -

- sure - I whispered, feeling captivated by him.

My sister squints her eyes, not expecting my eager reply. She smiled sarcastically at me while wiggling her eyebrows. I shrugged my shoulders and ignored her sly gaze before returning my attention to the man.
- two vs. one? - I questioned him, quoting him from our first encounter
He grinned and laughed as he recalled what he had said to Roberto's men the night prior.
- Ladies first – he stated bowing a little as he set up the triangle of balls on the pool table.

- I'm Rose, by the way – I introduced myself bending over the table to break.

- I told you we would meet again - he grinned at me.

0