chapter 5
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- so, Adam - Riley said as she prepared to hit the next ball - are you a regular here? -

- not at all - he laughed

- first time? - she asked

- honestly, yeah - he said - never been here before, but I suppose I made the right call - he winked at me.

Oh boy, I thought, rolling my eyes and flushing despite my best efforts. What's so appealing about this man, Adam, as he introduced himself, why was I drawn to him like a butterfly to light? Perhaps I was in heat? I wasn't sure.

- what's that – His husky voice drew me away from my thoughts.
- ehm? - I smartly asked

- your arm - he asked, pointing to the circular scratch on me.

- oh! I probably hit something without realizing it or remembering it -

- that's odd - he said - did your sister hit the same thing? -

Oh my god, how did he notice?

I didn't know how to replay, my mind was shutting down, not helping to make up lies. Fortunately, Roger's voice came to my rescue.
- hey rose - Roger peered through the room's ajared door - a guy is asking for you at the bar -

I arched an eyebrow in his direction silently inquiring who he was, but he simply shrugged and left. I glanced at my sister, puzzled; we didn't know anyone in the neighborhood other than Roger. We didn't have any friends, and we couldn't make any with the position we had.

- Stay here – I told Riley.

- I'll come with you - Adam interjected.

- No, it's fine - I said as I exited the room.
I scanned the people at the bar's counter, attempting to find out who was there for me. A man in his fifties sipped some kind of dark liquor from a crystal goblet, his broad figure sticking out. But it was his aura, improper and corrupt, that drew my attention. Oh crap, it's Roberto's minion again. How did he discover where I lived? Riley and I were quite cautious when we returned from work to our apartment. No one from Roberto's crew has ever discovered us here in the last few years. How could he now?

- you know him? - Adam's voice cut through my thoughts.

I turned toward him, slightly irritated by his presence.
- no - I replied, refocusing to the man.
I didn't want to make a scene in the bar, nor did I want to reveal my location and habits to Roberto. I returned to the room, meeting Riley's gaze

- we leave - I just stated.

Without questioning me, she grabbed her purse, tensing since she could likely sense my distress.
- Let me get you home - Adam put his hand on my shoulder as he tried to reason with me.
I was on high alert, even though I was drawn to him, I didn't know him and his interest in me couldn't be coincidental. I couldn't let him know where I lived.

- look – I sighed - I appreciate your concern, and I had a great time tonight, but duty calls, and I can't let you get involved -
I grabbed Riley's hand and we sprinted to the room's secure exit. A siren broke off the background music as I pushed on the handle to unlock it. Why did they have to install a fucking alarm on the safe exit? We rushed to the parking lot, hoping that Roberto's man wouldn't be drawn to us by the mess I caused, leaving a puzzled Adam behind. I hurriedly looked for my car key. I noticed Roger's disapproving stare and smiled sheepishly at him, mouthing an apology. As soon as we were inside, I locked the car and dashed out of the parking lot. I noticed Adam standing at the door with Roger, both staring at us. I drove like a maniac across the city, trying to get as far away from our neighborhood as possible in case Roberto's man was after us. I flew all the way to downtown city, where we had worked the night before for the Mercy. I slowed down and looked behind us to see if anyone was following us. I noticed a red truck approaching us at high speed and noticed the same man from the bar in the driver's seat.
I urged Riley to fasten his seatbelt as I raced through the downtown streets.

- shit - I yelled,

- What? - Riley replied. Fear laced her voice

- the car's plate - I exclaimed slamming the wheel

- ehm? -

- he's following us - I explained - now Roberto has our car's plate -

- we'll get rid of the car, that's not a big deal-

- I know - I whined - but I truly love this car -

- you're such a drama bitch - she chuckled - so it's Roberto's? - she then inquired

- I think so. I picked up on the same rotten aura from the guy on the train last night -

- what the hell is he doing? -

- I really don't know – I mumbled.

I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the red truck racing fast behind a blue car after us. I attempted a dick maneuver by slowing on a yellow light at the next junction, only to speed up again when I noticed the car behind me had stopped, blocking the red truck. I swiftly made a left onto a one-way street and parked. Riley and I rushed out and took off, leaving my beloved car behind. We ran till we reached the end of the street and then turned back into the main crowded street. We entered a classy club through a rear entrance and blended in among the dancing patrons. We went to the restroom, trying not to look suspicious, and I approached two drunk girls who were giggling inside, washing their hands.
- I love your dress - I said, speaking slowly and slurringly to appear as wasted as they were.
- I like yours, girl - she hugged me - where did you get it? I want one -

- why don't we exchange our outfits - I offered bribing her - I don't like it anymore and I'm sure you'll look better in it than me. Damn, you'll look gourgeous and hot as hell with that ass girl -

- oh yeahaah - she started leaping around eagerly

- we should switch too - Riley followed my lead and bribed the other girl too - you'll rock my dress like a godness -

We gave the two girls our laces dresses and donned two black lucid dresses that were far too short for my liking, but it was better to seem like a hookup than be recognised by Roberto's man.
- thank you very much - one of the girls remarked

- no problem - I told her - now go out on the dance floor and turn some heads - I cheered as they exited the toilet.

Riley went toward me

- now what? - she questioned

- we leave - I just answered

We left the club, our hair loose and hiding our faces. We went down the street, arms intertwined, until we reached the quiet area near the club. We entered a neighboring park and pretended to be two drunken ladies going home from a night out.

We were halfway to the end of the park when we heard a voice behind us. I could see the low light of a tiny complex of houses ahead.
- Well, well. you almost had me with that dress. I must say, though, I like you in a more classic and respectable outfit. Let me tell you that this bitchy look does not suit you, Rose -

- oooh – I mocked him - you're crushing my heart. I specifically picked it for you. I feel disadvantaged, though. I dressed up for you, and you already know my name. but I don't know yours -
he smiled, the creepy psycho kind of grin

- Roberto. Nice to finally meet you. I've heard wonderful things about you. -

0