Chapter 30 ~ A New Mystery Amidst the Fun of Life
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The control bead pulsed with magic, someone was trying to contact us. Now capable of controlling law, I interfered with the information of the mana surrounding us, making it trickle towards the control bead, activating its functions.

"Layne? Ciel? What's your status?!" a worried voice asked.

"We're fine elder sister. The Wendigo is no more, and the knights got out with a few cuts and bruises."

"That's good. I will now task you with your next mission."

"Give it to us elder sister-in-law!" Ciel replied.

"Based on the reports I've received from the knights since both of you are the main reason they could take down the Wendigo, I task you with fully enjoying the festival no questions asked."

Ciel and I looked at each other, before nodding together, expressing our willingness to enjoy the festival.

"Okay then, we'll do just that. But, if you're in dire need of help, we're always ready.

A relieved sigh could be heard from across the line. And with that, we had some free time on our hands. We could use this time to look around the stalls and have fun, we could also go visit the circus since it's been a week or two since we went there. There are truly so many things we could do, and we have all the time in the world to do so. That's why an itinerary is a must.

"Where should we go first, the circus or the stalls?" I asked.

"Hmm, let's go meet with grandfather first. We could always play later."

With that out of the way, we made our way back from the northern side of the city, but not to the Great Clock since it would be very full of people. Instead, we opt to use the longer path, to the north-east side of the town, before going towards the circus. On the way, we met with the festival committee who was preparing the fireworks for the grand finale of the festival this night. Though it was the grand finale; the festival or at least the stalls, will still be available for at least one week after the finale, so we could still have fun there if we wanted to.

Arriving at Cirque du Ciel, we found the usual members training their craft outside, bringing a large crowd of viewers. We waved at them, passing by into the tent, trying to find the old ringmaster. Inside, we met Robert who was designing new spring costumes for the troupe since the circus will have to keep up its functions.

"The happy couple! What a welcome turn of events. So, how did working for the Duke turn out?" he asked.

"The pay was great and we could help a lot of people. Still, working here is the best," I answered while omitting some details.

"The old ringmaster would be very happy to hear you say that. Though you're under a contract, are you not?"

Ah, yeah. That contract grandfather-in-law told me to sign. To be honest with you, I kinda forgot about that with all these problems cropping up during the Harvest Festival. Hence, I answered him with the most pleasing smile Laincelot had ever mustered.

"Yeah, you're right; and I'm happy to be back working with you. Still, where is my grandfather-in-law? We have some things we needed to discuss with him."

"Oh, he's in his usual place."

"His wagon-house then? Alright. Thanks, Robert!"

"No problem. Happy harvest festival, you two!"

After that small banter with Robert, we made our way deep into the tent, where finally we spy the wagon-house of our grandfather-in-law. Knocking on its hardwood door, we waited for a response. In three breaths' time, a response came, welcoming us. Opening the door into the wagon, the old ringmaster could be found reading reports of the circus' earnings.

"Ciel, Lanye; what's the matter?" he asked.

"We're here to inform you that the enemy released a Wendigo on the northern side of town. We've taken it down and was greatly rewarded by a breakthrough."

"A Wendigo you say?! It seems the enemy this time has quite a lot of support. Also, you've achieved a breakthrough?"

"Both of us managed to breakthrough. I advanced to a Local Deity, while Ciel to a Fledgling Primordial."

"Good, good. We now have a Local Deity and a Fledgling Primordial" he caressed his beard happily until the meaning of the word got to him. He opened his mouth, yet no sound came out.

"Yeah, a Local Deity and a Fledgling Primordial," I repeated smugly.

"Ahem, I seem to lose my hearing just now. Did you really say you're already a Local Deity? Isn't that too fast? Also, what the hell is with that Fledgling Primordial thing? Is it the Primordial I am thinking of?" his aged voice sounded five decibels higher as he bombarded me with questions.

Trying to answer all his questions the best I can, was quite a challenge.

"Firstly, it is true that I'm a Local Deity, but I only have a handful of believers. I could only advance this fast because I'd already passed this path before. Secondly, it is the Primordial you're thinking of. It gave Ciel a part of its soul after we finished our awakenings."

He mulled things over for a bit.

"Then where did both of your awakenings take place?"

I tried to explain the place where we achieved our awakenings, however, the only thing I am capable of saying was but a sentence. I tried to reformulate that sentence I was given, and with the ludicrous amount of words and meanings within my lexicon, I should be able to do that easily. Still, I could only say one sentence, which triggered something.

"A place beyond time and space, where all paths cross, and all desires meet."

Time seems to slip and reality warped. All but me and Ciel stopped, and were 'corrected'. I still do not know what being 'corrected' means, but it showed me its meanings just a few seconds later. This 'correction' seems to rank higher than Ashurbanipal, the Great Dragon of Time since even he was 'corrected'.

"A Wendigo you say?! It seems the enemy this time has quite a lot of support. Are the both of you okay? Ciel, you're okay right?"

"Grandfather, I am okay, we're both okay. You can relax!" Ciel quickly interjected.

"Ahem, if Ciel herself said that; I'll relax."

"Layne, let's go to the stalls!" Ciel took my hand.

Waving at her grandfather, she quickly took me out of the wagon-house.

0