Ch.3.1: A Warrior Waning
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who are you, really?” Dreiki had asked, skeptical. Savekio was supposed to live in Punuuk, not in the woods.

The old xio grunted out a laugh, “Not too trusting, huh? That’s good. Zesa probably told you not to be wary of kidnappers. Don’t worry, I’m not gonna be turning you over to those blasted nobles. More importantly…” He took a glance over to Ezo, who now laid on its side gasping through heaving labored breaths.

“Why’d you steal from me?” he continued.

Dreiki glanced over to the bat drake, crawling over to it.

“I-...” He choked a bit, “I’m sorry. I wanted to save it.”

He could see it was in a lot of pain. Even though the potion might’ve delayed its death, it wouldn't be enough. He snatched up his knapsack and pulled out the herbs.

“That thing’ll die soon enough. You might as well end its suffering at this point.”

Dreiki didn’t listen. Trying in vain to feed the medicine to Ezo.

Savekio raised an eyebrow, “Why’re you trying so hard for it? You’ll need those for yourself with how banged up you are-”

“I don’t care! I just-” He dug his face into its blood-matted fur, “I don’t know why, I just… I wanted to believe…”

“Believe what?”

“That I could help it!”

“Why?”

“Because-” Ezo licked the back of his hand. Dreiki gave it a somber look, petting it and trying to console the poor creature, “What if that was me? I saw it happening, so I couldn’t just let them-” He choked up again, tears soaking into its fur, “I feel like I’m gonna die like this someday too if I do nothing to help, so…”

Savekio was silent for a moment. He muttered something incoherent under his breath before he spoke again, “Your tears won’t save it, so move over and let me check up to see if it’s too far gone or not.”

The xio knelt down, laying a hand on its body. Dreiki noticed the drake’s breathing slow down. It was so subtle, and yet almost unnatural with how quickly it happened.

Did Ezo die?

Before Dreiki could choke up again, the Savekio spoke up, “It’ll live, but we’ve got to hurry.” He hefted it under his arm, “Come, little Iriik, I’ve something that can treat it back home. It’ll die out here if we don’t hurry.” He looked over to Dreiki’s leg, “Oh, you can’t walk huh? Up we go!” He pulled Dreiki under his other arm, carrying him with such ease as one might carry a hat, “Hold tight!”

The old xio had moved with such blinding speed Dreiki had to wonder how he’d ever managed to escape him.

In less than half a minute, the aging xio had swiftly crossed the distance back to his cabin. Big leaping steps carried him along as he dodged trees, brush, and branches with ease.

The strangest part of it was how silent he was, and how comfortable the ride was. Despite moving so fast, the wind hardly even touched him, and the old xio ran smoother than a flowing river.

When he stopped his stride, the wind finally caught up with him and blew a balmy gust through the fallen leaves. The old xio kicked his door open, carrying the two of them inside. He tossed Dreiki onto his bed, “I’ll get you something in a second, just don’t bleed on my pillow.” he said, clearing a space for the drake. Dreiki held his broken nose, watching the xio work. He pulled out small vials and potions which Dreiki simply didn’t have the knowledge to recognize.

Savekio was fast and steady of hand. Sheering its long mane so that he could properly operate on its wounds. Soaking twine in medicine and using it as stitching to mend its broken belly and clipped webbing. He fed it potions with such tender care so as to make sure it didn’t choke. It took the better part of 30 minutes, during which he’d passed Dreiki a few items to patch himself up. He dressed his wounds much like he'd done to Ezo the previous day. His hunting trap had even managed to break the same leg as Ezo.
Dreiki never bled for very long, thanks to his xiozian heritage. He couldn't recall ever having seen his mother seriously injured before either. Whether it was because she healed too quickly, or that nothing was strong enough to hurt her Dreiki couldn't say.

When the herbalist finally set down his tools, he gave Dreiki a nod.

“It’ll live. Bat drakes are hardy creatures, so it’ll just need some rest and food for the next week, but it should be fully recovered by then.”

Dreiki felt his tears hit him in a wave of relief. He didn’t know what else to do but hug the old xio, “Thank you! I’m sorry! I promise to pay you back! I will! I will!”

The old xio seemed taken aback, tense even, before relaxing and patting Dreiki’s head in a consolatory manner, “You don’t have much to pay me back with, and in fact I don’t want you to repay me.”

“But-”

“I’m not done.”

Dreiki fell silent, stepping back.

“Zesa sent you here I’m guessing. And she likely wanted me to hide you away. I suppose I do owe her a few favors, but nothing so charitable. So I have a proposition for you.”

Dreiki perked up, “What is it?”

“I’m getting old. I’m going to need someone to ensure I pass on as smoothly as possible. Someone to grow strong as I wither away. So I want you to become my student and caretaker for however much longer I live.”

“But I don’t want to be an herbalist-”

The old xio raised an eyebrow, a sly smirk on his lips, “I aint an herbalist, kid.”

Dreiki glanced around at the herb filled cabin, “Are you sure?”

He chuckled, “It's a fair observation to make, but it's incorrect nonetheless." He unsheathed the sword on his hip, and pressed the tip into the dirt floor of the cabin, "My name is Savekio Riinukura, former battle master of the Venator Knight Battalion.” He bowed his head, “Please allow me to make you my final disciple, young Iriik.”

0