Ch.3.2: The Battle Master
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Savekio bowed his head, “Please allow me to make you my final disciple, young Iriik.”

Dreiki was taken aback. Why? What had he done to deserve such an honor? He was just a half-breed. He didn’t even have a tail, and he wasn’t as strong as others his age.

“I see the doubt on your face, young Iriik.”

“Sorry, it’s not that I don’t want to, but…why me?”

“Why not you? I’ve not seen one more worthy of my mentorship in a while.”

“Because I’m…”

“A Noxa?”

That word stung him, “Yeah…”

“Yet it was a Noxa that saved the life of this drake, a Noxa who evaded my capture, and A Noxa who tricked those three boys into running away- with a bit of help of course.”

Dreiki didn’t know what to say. He didn’t feel like he deserved any of this praise. He’d nearly gotten himself killed.

Savekio ruffled Dreiki’s hair, “Think on it a bit. You are free to rest here until the drake is fully recovered. I want your answer by then.”

Dreiki nodded, “Thank you, sir.” He stopped, “Um- Sir?”

Savekio raised a brow, “Yes?”

“How do you know my mother?”

“For one, I was in charge of training her. And for the other, I was a brief ally on the battlefield. I’ve a few long stories about that xia, but I’ll spare you the details for now.”

“I’d love to hear them sometime!” Dreiki said a bit too enthusiastically, “I… don’t often hear much about it. I hardly knew why I was sent here, let alone what mom did before she had me.”

Savekio took an analyzing gaze at Dreiki, “Last I heard, whoever your father was, they died protecting you from poachers at an early age. Am I correct?”

“Well, yes my father protected me when I was just a baby, but… poachers?”

“Has Zesa not told you?”

Dreiki shook his head.

Savekio grunted, “I suppose it’s not an easy topic to tell your young child…”

“What do you mean?”

Savekio pointed to his shoulder, “That mark is meant to protect you. Anyone who kills you has their souls marked as a challenger to a Venator Knight’s title.”

“So if I die, my mother knows where they are?”

“Where they are, who they are, and what they look like. Pretty potent magic too. Anyone marked by it can’t get rid of it until one of them is either defeated by the other or killed. For most, a mark like that is a guaranteed death. For others, it’s equivalent to throwing the gauntlet.”

“So that’s why those three were so afraid of it. But why did they know about it?”

Savekio shrugged, “It’s likely they’ve been warned by their parents. If anything I’m surprised you didn’t hear about it in passing from someone else.”

“I was raised in Lithiria when I was little, and then after a few years we moved to the Altix here in Itaro. There weren’t a lot of people around.”

“Lithiria huh? That’s the human world if memory serves. She must’ve moved to the wilds in Itaro after your father passed, so she could keep you hidden from poachers.”

“Mom never really liked to talk about it, but I think you’re right. But sir, if my mark is meant to protect me, why are there still poachers after me? And if they’re after me, why did my mom leave?”

“Venator Knights have a duty to the military. They get 10 years to raise their eldest child after which they must return to the battlefield. As for the poachers, that’s another matter entirely.” He took a seat, letting out a grunt of relief as if standing for so long had been uncomfortable, “A Venator Knight is one of the few ways someone of low birth can ascend into nobility.”

He massaged his neck, “Nobles don’t really like it when new houses are formed which can threaten their power, so they often take to either assimilating Venator Knights into their house, or snuffing out their bloodline entirely. They tend to pay good money for a Venator Knight’s next of kin. As I said, some enjoy killing them as a way to ‘throw the gauntlet’.”

“But Venator Knights are the strongest warriors aren’t they? Don’t they serve nobility? Why cause conflict within your own ranks?”

Savekio raised an eyebrow, “There’s not much conflict if they truly do serve nobility. Either through submission or having children with them. Of course, even that’s not a guarantee but those like your mother- who don’t bend the knee- become targets.” He laughed, “She turned down quite a few heirs from prominent houses. Only to then mate with a human. It’s the ultimate middle finger to them, I think.”

Dreiki felt pride swell in his gut, “Because she loved dad that much.”

Savekio nodded, “And don’t let anyone let you forget that.”

A cold thought popped into Dreiki’s head, “But what happens if mom dies while at war?”

“A Venator Knight’s status and soul mark are passed onto their next of kin along with all the power and burden that entails.”

Dreiki swallowed, “Even if they’re young like me?”

Savekio waved his hand dismissively, “That’d be the least of your concern. Nobles will typically wipe out the next of kin before challenging a Venator Knight. It prevents vengeful challengers knocking down their door a decade later.”

“And if that happens? If everyone is killed?”

“Then the title is passed onto whoever the victor chooses. Nobles usually prefer someone loyal and strong. And only in that order.”

“If you’re a battle master, then why are you out here?”

He let out something halfway between a grunt and a laugh, “When you live in war for so long, sometimes the only thing you want is peace. I’m getting old, and I never managed to find a foe who could best me on the battlefield. So I’m here.”

“What about your family?”

“I’ve outlived them.”

“Oh. I’m sorry-”

“I’ve long since made peace with it, kid. The Venator Knights are my children.”

Dreiki couldn’t help but laugh, “So then I’m your grandson then?”

Savekio chuckled, “In a way, I suppose you could say that.”

“What are you doing with all this medicine if you’re not an herbalist, though?”

“You’re pretty sharp with your questions.” He stroked his beard, “Venator Knights are my children so I’d like it if I didn’t outlive all of them. And I tend to outlive quite a few these days.” Savekio shifted his jaw, his eyes cold for a moment before looking up again.

He gestured to the medicine around him, “I wanted to do my best to make sure more of them survive. So I make any sort of potion I can and ship it off to a supplier who can sell it for cheap to them or give it away for free.”

Dreiki looked down, feeling guilty that he’d likely stolen items that might’ve been saving the lives of venator knights like his mother.

“Pretty soon though, it’s gonna be hard enough for me to walk, let alone harvest these materials. I’ve tried to delay The Waning with my own medicine as much as possible, but time comes for everyone in the end…”

Savekio let out a hollow laugh.

“By the way, I don’t believe I ever caught your name little Iriik, what was it?”

“I’m Dreiki. Dreiki Iriik.”

“Interesting name, that’s draconic for ‘Forgotten one’ I believe. Your mother must’ve had a sense of humor.”

“Forgotten one?”

“Or I suppose the name could also mean, ‘One without destiny’, ‘Breaker of three’, or ‘hidden from God’.” He stood up, “Anyways that’s enough talk for now. I’ll arrange you a place to sleep, and some food. You’re probably hungry considering you stole food from me too.”

0