Ch.8.1: The Guardian of Xirxus Manor
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anitus was not in a good mood this afternoon.

“It appears we’re both grumpy today, brother.” Amaro taunted.

“Shut it.”

“Oh? But you won didn’t you? Talk about a sore winner.” Amaro shrugged.

“You weren’t serious in that fight, and you know it. Don’t act so coy.”

Amaro didn’t say much more. It was true, Amaro might’ve accepted the fight, but that didn’t mean he cared enough to try. Winning and losing only meant something to Anitus.

“What does that bring our record to?”

Anitus clicked his tongue, “Fifty two to fifty three in my favor.”

Anything Amaro had to say now would’ve just been more cruel teasing, so he decided to keep his mouth shut. Pissing off his siblings was Tulos’s job, after all.

Lorshiir had done a good job of wrangling Amaro and combing his hair into a neat and tidy style.

That had been a battle Amaro had actually tried and failed at.

He and the rest of his siblings were dressed in their finest attire. Expensive silks, deep violet fabrics, all manner of braids, jewelry, and golden bands which they wore around their tails.

It was the latest fashion and Amaro hated it.

They each followed their father out through the family garden. It was not often they got to go out like this, much less so as a family. But Amaro knew there were a few trials they each needed to pass before exiting the estate.

For any noble bloodline, appearances were everything. And this was especially true for Amaro’s family. The Xirxus had a reputation for being among the strongest most well-bred noble house, and they kept it by ensuring any weaker family members were trapped within the estate.

No children, elderly, or grievously wounded Xirxus could enter or exit the estate.

Their group now came upon the first of their trials. Amaro looked over to Sancta who appeared to be nervous about being able to follow.

She had not yet made it past all the trials on her own power, but she had been let outside with Amaro’s help before.

Unfortunately, Amaro couldn’t help her in front of their father no matter how much he wanted to.

“Hey, it’ll be alright.” he whispered to her, “You can do it, you’re stronger than you were!”

That seemed to set her at ease a little bit.

They approached their first trial. Their father raised his hand for them to stop, and everyone halted behind him.

The ground trembled. A slow, rhythmic, pacing quake of an unseen giant. The garden foliage in front of them was pushed aside by nothing, its true form completely invisible to them.

Amaro had no doubt this beast could be silent as an owl in flight if it wanted to, but it wanted to make certain its presence was known.

Massive paw prints appeared in the grass in front of them as it finally revealed itself.

Amaro always noticed its fur first. Jagged silver and red hairs jutted out like bloodied swords. It towered over them, the size of a small building. So mighty that Amaro could only ever witness its majesty in bits and pieces.

A low rumble emanated from its throat, the leaves and trees themselves seemed to tremble in fear. It had colossal fangs that could tear the throat from a giant, and razor-edged claws which could cleave a stone obelisk in two. Its powerful muscles flexed and relaxed between its red striped coat of fur. Electricity arced from it, the smell of ozone in the air.

Its very presence alone was crushing. The eyes of a true hunter baring down on each of them as if even a god slayer was but a humble meal to it.

It challenged them to take even one step closer to its territory, letting out an ear shattering roar.

Amaro felt it. Its very soul was slamming into his. Attempting to freeze him in place with its will alone. Fear coursed through his veins and defined all logic that his mind tried to apply to it. He wasn’t in danger, this great beast was meant to protect them.

But what if it wasn’t? What if it chose to go wild here and now? What if its roar hadn’t been a trial, but a genuine warning?

Images flashed in Amaro’s mind. He could see himself stepping forward, only to be ripped in two by the mighty beast. Crushed to a bloody pulp in an instant and eaten alive.

Fear itself overtook him and held him like chains, his heart thumping against his chest like a prisoner to a cage.

But if he couldn’t step forward here, he would fail the first trial.

His father was the first to step forth, reaching up and combing his fingers through the massive elemental tiger’s fur.

The intensity of the Tikuur’s frightening aura increased as their father no longer stood in front of them.

Anitus was the next to step through the challenge, Amaro following close behind. To Amaro’s surprise, Sancta was the next to shore up her resolve, leaving Tulos, Raktus, and Syno behind.

Raktus snapped himself out with a loud yell and ran through. Tulos followed his example. They all looked back at Syno, who stood frozen.

He was a meek dark skinned xio, and the youngest brother to Anitus and Tulos. In fact, he was the youngest out of the six of them. He had a hard enough time getting over his fear of Raktus during a fight, let alone the guardian of their estate.

Amaro couldn’t even cheer his half-brother on. He had to overcome it himself or his father would consider it a failed test.

Syno looked to them with pleading eyes. With disappointment and shame. But there was no shame in it, Amaro knew that much.

His father turned and kept walking, “Leave him. He’s not yet worthy.”

It put a bitter taste in Amaro’s mouth, but anything he’d think of doing would instantly be detected by his father. Even if he tried to covertly cast a spell to shock Syno out of it, Kadmus would pick up on the magical current immediately.

“That is your weakness, Syno. Better no one knows of your cowardice until you learn to conquer it.” Anitus said coldly, following close behind Kadmus.

Amaro stepped to help, but Sancta caught his arm, “You can’t. Please, father will punish you both!”

Amaro grit his teeth, but relented. It was just the way of things.

0