CH 11 – The Card Collector
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Aaargh!" Someone stubbed their toe.

"Oooh!" Someone injured their shin.

"Ouch!" Someone fell.

"Aigoo Mommy..." Someone hit a lamp post.

"What the..." Someone cursed.

All sorts of panicked noises rose throughout Galang City at the middle of the night when any sort of light source completely vanished suddenly. It's as if the whole world of Seraphine has lost light. Not even the moon or stars are visible in the sky. It's complete darkness.

While Axel Blaze is snoring in his room at the inn, suddenly an array of system notifications started popping up.

[Status Window Upgrade Completed]

[Loading the new Status Window]

[Initializing...]

[Error!!]

[Retrying...]

[Error!!]

[Retrying...]

Between these notifications, Axel Blaze is having some peculiar dreams.

He is dreaming of his childhood days as a small Axel Blaze is adoring a few adventurer cards and carefully arranging them inside a card binder.

[Loading completed]

[Starting the new Status Window]

[Error!!]

[Retrying...]

[Error!!]

[Retryi...]

[Warning! The Status Window is being...]

Suddenly the beeping noise of notifications disappeared into complete silence.

At the same time a bright red star blinked in the dark sky for a mere second before disappearing. Along with it the light lamps and other sources of light in Seraphine started working again.

This phenomenon is quite similar to that of the gate opening seven years ago. Some people are quite excited while some are worried. In some places people started going out of towns and cities to search for the abnormalities which may have appeared.

Somewhere in a grand palace, somewhere in a tall mountain, somewhere on the clouds, there are people, old and young, extremely beautiful and handsome despite their age, their body gives off a holy glow. These people all look flustered, running to each other, consulting about something.

Similarly there are people who look the exact opposite of these holy people, also busy inquiring about the sudden phenomenon in Seraphine.

In Axel Blaze's room, suddenly the blue status related pop-ups have changed to red color.

[Congratulations on obtaining the 'Collector's Book'!]

[A Special Card has been gifted]

[Please name the book]

[Please form a contract with the book to use all its features]

[Congratulations on acquiring an independent system!]

[A unique system has been created!]

[A unique system assistant is born!]

[Please name the assistant]

[A new Title is being generated...]

[Title, 'I create my own path' has been generated!]

[Alert! Due the immense changes brought by the new Title, character's body is about to undergo changes, please find a safe place to rest]

Axel Blaze suddenly started groaning while asleep. He started to perspire. His brows puckered into frown and his whole body started to undergo slight visible changes.

[Body adjustments completed]

[Congratulations! Divine Points have been unlocked!]

[Congratulations! Due to unlocking Divine Points, you have acquired a certain amount of immunity to mental attacks!]

[Congratulations on reaching level 20]

[Milestone reward is being generated...]

[You have obtained a Special Card!]

[Due to the level up, character's body may undergo changes, please find a safe place to rest]

This time there weren't any changes in his body but due to the healing effects of level up, Axel Blaze's pained expression disappeared. And he continued his peaceful sleep.

...

As dawn broke, Axel Blaze's face showed signs of confusion.

In his dreams, he saw a crowd of people gathered in a celebration party in an open area. Each man and woman participating in this party are extremely handsome and beautiful. They all exude an aura of divinity.

Suddenly the clouds in the sky contorted and two giant dragon claws tore through the atmosphere. A large black dragon head appeared through the hole in the sky.

Standing on the dragon's head is a man in black clothes holding a book in his left hand and a card in his right hand.

Looking at the man, all the men and women in this gathering bowed with respect.

Axel Blaze's point of view started to focus on the man on the dragon's head. As he got closer and closer, in the real world Axel Blaze's heart started beating faster and faster.

As soon as Axel Blaze saw the face of the man in his dream, he woke up with a jolt. With his eyes wide open, he huffed and puffed. His forehead is covered in sweat.

He held his forehead with his right hand trying to remember the face of the man in his dream but all he could remember is the chilling evil grin of that man, sending shivers through his spine. At the same time he felt somewhat excited. It was a feeling akin to a person having thrill in the face of danger.

As he calmed down, Axel Blaze noticed the red pop-ups floating in front of him.

"What the heck?—Open Status Window" He commanded.

But surprisingly nothing happened.

"Open Status Window" He tried again but nothing happened.

"Status Window Open" He tried another way but still nothing happened.

He tried a few more times but the Status Window never appeared.

He felt somewhat scared and touched the floating red notification. It moved.

So he can still control the status notifications with a touch if voice commands don't work. Same as before. But still, where did the Status Window go?

Confused, Axel Blaze started going through the notifications one by one.

"Collector's Book?..." With a frown Axel Blaze started looking here and there.

He suddenly felt his left hand touching some rough hard surface and he glanced over there.

"What!?" He pulled his hand back, not knowing what he was touching.

As soon as he took his hand off, the red notification pop-ups suddenly disappeared.

"Huh?" Shocked, Axel Blaze touched the book lying on the bed again. And the notification pop-ups reappeared.

"Is this the Collector's Book?" Murmuring, Axel Blaze picked up the book.

The book is 9 by 7 inches in dimensions. With a hard cover which looks like the vast starry sky. There is a big red semi-spherical jewel embedded at the center of the front cover along with 6 other semi-spheres of various smaller sizes surrounding the red one.

All the 7 jewels have different colors. Red, gray, green, purple, blue, golden and transparent (similar to diamond). Though jewels, these semi-spheres have no luster to them.

The book is about an inch thick. Axel Blaze tried to open the book but it seems as if it is bound by some heavy duty glue. Axel Blaze turned the book in all degrees trying to look for some lock or something but surprisingly there is nothing of that sort.

Helpless, Axel Blaze swapped the notification pop-up.

Here it is. 'Name the book' and 'Form a contract'. These are the answers Axel Blaze was looking for.

"Card Binder. The name of the book is Card Binder." Well that's what the book he used to keep his cards in was called. He bought it from a merchant along with trading cards of adventurers.

[Accepted. The Collector's Book is now named the 'Card Binder']

[Please form a contract with the Card Binder by dripping a drop of your blood on the System Jewel]

Two new red notifications popped up.

"System Jewel?" Axel Blaze looked at the book cover. Among all the jewels, the red jewel at the center is the largest. Obviously it is the System Jewel.

"Inventory" Axel Blaze commanded to take out a sharp object but nothing appeared.

"Even inventory is disabled?" Axel Blaze raised his brows.

He looked all around the room and then walked to the window. On the window frame there is a splinter sticking out. Axel Blaze removed the splinter and used it to prick his index finger and applied a drop of blood on the red jewel. After that he sucked his finger to soothe the sensation.

[Contract successful]

[Card Binder is being activated]

Suddenly a gust of wind brewed inside the room with the Card Binder as its center. As the wind disappeared, the red, gray and green jewels started to glow with a luster.

With great anticipation Axel Blaze opened the book. But as soon as he opened the cover a sweet girl child's voice sounded.

My name?

Axel Blaze jumped with shock and started looking around the room, going as far as looking under the bed. After a while he patted his chest, breathing out.

Dismissing it as a hallucination, Axel Blaze again opened the book cover. And again the girl's voice sounded.

Please give me a name.

"Who is it?" Axel Blaze asked, frowning. He stood vigilant, holding the Card Binder as a weapon.

Me? I am the system assistant.

The sweet girl answered.

"System assistant?" Axel Blaze couldn't believe what he heard. Still confused he started surfing through the leftover notifications.

"Are you this 'unique system assistant' mentioned here?" Axel Blaze pointed at the notification.

Of course! Who else I might be?

The girl replied.

"Do all systems have talking assistants? I thought they only had beep sounds with pop-ups" Axel Blaze asked with surprise.

I don't know.

The girl answered.

"You don't know? Aren't all the systems the same?" Axel Blaze asked.

I don't know. I am a formless body born from your ego so my knowledge is only limited to you and your system.

The girl replied.

"What? Born from my ego? How?" Axel Blaze looked shocked.

I don't know. When I came to, I was already inside the System Jewel.

"System Jewel..." Axel Blaze stared at the jewel but couldn't see anything inside.

My name.

The girl insisted.

"Uh. Wait a minute." After that Axel Blaze started running his brain.

"Ruby. How is Ruby?" He looked at the glowing red jewel, "This red jewel looks just like a ruby. Beautiful and mesmerizing."

Ruby... I like it. My name is Ruby.

Ruby greets Master. Master Happy Birthday!

The girl cheered.

"Huh?" Axel Blaze looked lost for a moment before smiling brightly, "Oh, I totally forgot today is my birthday. Thanks Ruby."

You are welcome, Master.

"By the way, why are you calling me Master?" Axel Blaze asked.

Master is master.

"No. I am Axel, Axel Blaze." Axel Blaze shook his head.

How can Ruby call the Master by his name? It would be blasphemy.

Master is master. Ruby's master.

The girl persisted.

Axel Blaze opened and closed his mouth but at the end let it be.

Suddenly a knock appeared on the door followed by Max's voice, "Axel, are you awake?"

"Ah, wait a moment." Axel Blaze rushed to the door and opened it.

Max looked at Axel Blaze stumped, with mouth agape.

Confused and somewhat embarrassed, Axel Blaze asked, "What are you looking at?"

"Siiii..." Max pulled a breath of air.

"Tell me the truth, did you drink some beautifying potion?" Max asked.

"What? What rubbish are you talking about?" Axel Blaze looked more confused.

"I mean look at your face. Look at your skin. How?" Now Max looked confused.

Axel Blaze frowned and looked at his wrists. Indeed he looks fairer than before. He touched his face but couldn't find any difference so he asked for Max's shield and looked at his reflection.

There is not much difference, but if Axel Blaze was decent looking before, now he can be called handsome. He may not be on the level of celebrities but he definitely is somewhere out there.

"What the heck?" He muttered.

He indeed read about some body changes in those pop-up notifications but he didn't realize that it was this big of a change.

He looked at Max who was staring at him weirdly and made an excuse, "Well my level has increased by quite a lot suddenly. Maybe it has something to do with it." Axel Blaze shrugged.

"Leveling up indeed brings some internal changes in the body but an outer change? And this much?" Max couldn't believe it.

Axel Blaze looked irritated, "What does it have to do with you? Are you my boyfriend or what?" He pointed at Max, "I warn you, I don't bend that way."

"What the fuck!" Max took a step back, flustered.

He snorted, "I will wait for you in the lobby." He turned to walk away.

Master, are you going to hunt monsters? It's better to not show others your fighting style.

Suddenly Ruby spoke.

"What?" Axel Blaze asked with surprise.

Max halted and turned, "Did you say anything?" He asked.

He didn't hear Ruby?

Axel Blaze sighed with relief.

You shouldn't let others see your fighting style Master. It may cause trouble.

Ruby suggested again.

Axel Blaze slightly smiled, "Max, I am not feeling well today. Seems like the fatigue from the constant journey caught up to me. After all, I am not used to traveling such long distances."

Max looked worried, "Are you alright? Do you need me to take you to a doctor? Or should I buy some potions and medicines?"

Axel Blaze shook his hand in denial, "No no no. You don't have to go that far. It's just some sore muscles. I will recover after some rest."

"Are you sure?" Max asked.

Axel Blaze nodded, "I am sure."

"Please take this chance to take quests of your level Max. You have been helping me with low level quests and didn't acquire any Experience Points due to the level difference—I feel quite guilty about it." Axel Blaze looked embarrassed.

"There is nothing to feel guilty about. It was my decision to help a brother out. And even if I didn't gain any Experience Points, I still got money from selling the materials." Max patted Axel Blaze's shoulder.

Axel Blaze thanked Max.

"Rest well. If anything happens just send me a message from friends-list, I will come running back." Max waved his hand and walked down the stairs.

"Sigh! I wanted to hunt monsters as well. Everything in the cities are quite expensive and low level monsters don't pay much." Axel Blaze murmured, closing the door.

He sat on the bed, staring at the Card Binder. At last he could open the cover without any disturbance.

On the first page is his Character Information. With the page number (1) written at the bottom center.

Name : Axel Blaze

Age : 21

Species : Human

Level : 21

Experience Points : 229,123/231,000

Class : Non-Combat

Job : Card Collector

Turning the page, are his Titles.

Titles

1. The One Who Collect Cards : Everyone has a hobby or two. Yours is collecting cards.

Special Privileges : Gain Unique Skills. Added Cards tab.

2. The One Who Plays Cards : Being a Card Collector doesn't mean you don't like playing cards.

Special Privileges : Gain Unique Skills. Added Decks tab.

3. The one accomplished an impossible feat : W-What?! Really? It seems you are not afraid of death.

Special Privileges : All visible stats permanently increase by 100.

4. I create my own path : You are free from the shackles of the world. You are the owner of your own destiny!

Special Privileges : All visible stats bonus +50%. All hidden stats permanently increased by 10%. Unlock Divine Points. If you are forced into any affiliations; all stats temporarily increase by 1000%.

Special Restrictions : Affiliation removed. If you are affiliated with any religion; all stats temporarily decrease to 10%.

On the third page are his unique skills.

Unique Skills

1. Lucky Shuffle : After shuffling a deck of 50 cards, pull out a random card from the deck. Your luck will increase from +1-50% according to the card pulled.

Duration : 1 minute

Cooldown : 60 minutes

2. Card Case Drop : Everyday at 6:00, you will receive a Card Case containing a random skill from your daily activities.

3. Collectible Card Game : You can use the cards placed in the deck. When using any card the stats of the card will increase by +5%.

The fourth page consists of his stats. Here is a big change. Rather than what used to be progression bars is now a spider chart with 8 corners marking the growth of each stat. Under the chart are written the supposed Support Stats and remaining stat points.

Unallocated Stat Points : 200

VRR : 51% per minute

MRR : 51% per minute

DPRR : 51% per minute

"51% looks quite awesome if you neglect the fact that it's just 0.51 points per minute" Axel Blaze murmured while turning the page.

The fifth page has the Friends-list with Max's name on it.

From the next page onwards are 4 cards on each page arranged randomly. 

As Axel Blaze kept turning the pages it seemed as if there was no end to it. Even after reaching the empty pages, he can still keep turning over with no end.

From outside, the book looks 1 inch thick but from inside it's a completely different story.

Curious, Axel Blaze turned over the book and opened the back cover to check the last page number, but to his surprise there were more cards here. And these cards...  Seems to be the items from his inventory. Even the Card Cases have turned into cards.

Axel Blaze whistled with amazement, "This is quite fascinating." Axel Blaze praised.

Everything is alright but, how to use these cards? What happened to his prior Status Window? What is this Card Binder? Where did it come from?

There are many questions in his mind right now and there is probably only one existence that can answer his questions. The system assistant or his ego, Ruby.

"I can't click anything here, how do I edit my stats and stuff?" Axel Blaze asked.

"Ah, before that, Max couldn't hear you, why?"

That's because I have been talking to you telepathically.

"Oh" Axel Blaze just realized this. From the start Ruby's voice has been resounding in his head.

You can also talk to me telepathically, since I am a part of your soul.

"Really?" Axel Blaze looked amazed by the idea and instantly gave it a try.

Axel : How to adjust my stats?

Ruby : Just ask me and I will open a pop-up window.

Axel : How many pages are there in the Card Binder?

Ruby : Infinite.

"Er..." Axel Blaze looked flustered.

Axel : Is there any way to easily access a certain page? I don't want to turn over a hundred pages just to find a card.

Ruby : Just remember the name of the card or the page number, I can directly open that page for you.

Axel : You are quite handy.

Ruby : As your assistant, I should be able to do this much.

Axel : My assistant?

Ruby : Ain't I? The Card Binder is yours, so is the system and so am I.

Axel : That reminds me. Do you know a man in black clothes who has a similar Card Binder and rides a black dragon?

Ruby : Never heard of him.

Axel : You sure?

Ruby : 100% sure.

Then what was that dream?

Axel Blaze scratched his head contemplating.

Axel(a bit embarrassed) : My...

"Ahem..." He cleared his throat.

Axel : My money.

Suddenly a pop-up window appeared showing his balance.

"Close it." Axel Blaze ordered with some shyness. His poor wealth is nothing much to look at.

Axel(with a serious expression) : How much do you know about this Card Binder? And what happened to my old Status Window?

Ruby : I don't know anything about your old Status Window as I was born recently. But since it's not here, I guess it's gone for good?

Ruby : As for the Card Binder. Any card you store in it will be binded with the Card Binder. To use a card you can use specific commands like 'Activate' or 'Deactivate'. Every card once used goes under 1 minute cooldown and returns to their slot losing their color. After 1 minute, you can use the card again. The one minute cooldown doesn't affect the skill duration and reusing the same card has a chance of increasing the skill duration.

Axel : Wait a bit. Every card has a 1 minute cooldown? Even the skills like Flare and Sharpen?

Ruby : Yes. No matter what the original cooldown of a skill is. It will be overwritten by the Card Binder.

"Bullshit!" Axel Blaze cursed. "Isn't that a rip off?"

Ruby : Maybe for some cases. But it's also quite beneficial.

"How?" Axel Blaze calmed his anger.

Ruby : Think about the skills which have long cooldown. They will all now have only 1 minute cooldown.

Axel Blaze felt enlightened, "Like the legendary and mythical skills?" He asked with excitement.

Ruby : Yes. What's more, you don't have to use those long chants before you can cast a legendary or mythical skill.

"Wow." Axel Blaze is quite happy.

"Legendary and Mythical skills which are said to be closest to the origin and hence require long incantations won't be needing any chanting from my side. This is... How should I say." Axel Blaze made a fist pump, "It's fucking awesome."

Axel Blaze suddenly puckered his brows, "But why did you stop me from hunting monsters with Max?"

Ruby : I just thought that people may find it strange looking at someone fighting with cards.

"Huh?—Can't I just use a sword and throw skills like before?" Axel asked.

Ruby : You will have to hold a card and chant 'Activate' to use the card. The skill contained within the card will take its intended form and shoot out without any source. For example, a Slash skill will take the form of the slash without any sword.

Axel(amazed) : You mean I didn't need any weapon to use a skill?

Ruby : The cards are your weapon. A Card Collector doesn't need weapons.

Axel Blaze nodded, "Well, that would be an issue to use cards in front of other people. It may pick their curiosity and in turn may bring disaster upon me."

Suddenly someone knocked at the door and asked from outside, "Sir are you alright? Your friend asked me to check on you before he went out."

It's the innkeeper.

"Yes, I am fine. Thanks for checking on me." Axel Blaze shouted from inside.

The person at the door went away.

"Well, I am getting quite hungry." Axel Blaze rubbed his belly.

Axel : One last question before we go down.

Axel : What will happen if I lose the Card Binder?

Ruby : Nothing to worry about. No one else can open it besides you. If you lose it, you can just call for it in your mind and it will appear in front of you, no matter how far it is.

Ruby : Though, it will be impossible to communicate and initiate system notifications if we are a certain distance apart.

Axel : How far?

Ruby : Not sure. We have to test it to find out.

Axel : By the way, what will happen if someone uses 'Inspect' on me?

Ruby : I can hide your information but I can't change it. So they will see what they normally see or what we show.

Axel : Ah, I was about to ask you if you can do something about my Job but it seems it's not possible.

"I have to keep working as a porter it seems" Axel Blaze sighed.

He then hung the Card Binder on his waist and it floated there without any support thanks to Ruby doing some tricks. Since he doesn't have a hidden inventory like before, he can't store the Card Binder there. From now on, he will always have to carry the Card Binder physically.

Well, at least it looks like a Magic Book which some Magic Class people carry around. It in itself may have some show off benefits.

He patted the Card Binder, "A Card Binder to collect cards, now I feel like a real Card Collector." He then punched his left hand with his right fist and cheered, "Gotta get em all."

He got fresh and went downstairs to have breakfast. After that he planned to go back to his room and open the card cases.

2