Chapter 46
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Takuya had just quickly ended the call.

Ajin finally agreed to spend an hour after Takuya earnestly begged him.

The meeting place was a franchise coffee shop located not too far from Ajin's house.

Even though it was a weekday, there were quite a few people inside the cafe, perhaps because they had chosen to meet just after lunchtime.

“Big brother, over here!

Takuya greeted him rather enthusiastically.

Before entering the cafe, Ajin focused his perception to the maximum but he couldn't sense any other hunters inside the store.

At a bare minimum, this encounter was not for revenge, it seemed. Although Ajin doesn't really remember doing anything that warranted such ill will towards him and requiring prompt retribution.

Ajin sat on the other side of the table.

"Big brother, how are you?"

They had both left the dungeon, and they had gone their own way around lunch. This happened only a few hours ago, so why was he asking how he was?

"I didn't think we would see each other again."

There was a half-eaten ice cream on the table belonging to Takuya.

Takuya spoke as he stood up.

"What would you like to order? Shall I get you some coffee?

"No it's okay."

Takuya looked a little downcast for some reason as he sat back down.

Ajin opened his mouth first.

"So what do you want?"

He was then.

"I'm telling you, this guy did it for real back then!" It was so crazy, really!!"

Ajin shifted his gaze to him.

The table next to hers was occupied by three burly students with rather roguish faces from one local athletic club or another, and they were busy chatting with three girls.

Ajin tried to return to his own conversation.

"Why did you ask me out on a date?" »

Takuya thought about Ajin's appearance as he killed Koner and his party members without any hesitation. It happened only a few days ago, so he was still shocked by this event.

Takuya immediately fell to his knees.

" Big brother. Please spare my life.

"Huh? Why are you like that?"

"I promise to give you whatever you want even money I've run out of. Just give me a little more time.

Takuya's reaction caught the attention of the surrounding people.

"What? What's going on? He's a gangster?

"Looks like he took out a private loan."

"TTT...TTT. He had to take out a private loan and then he had to use it all up.

Ajin frowned as he heard the whispers coming from the surrounding people. What was he trying to accomplish by attracting the attention of those around him? Ajin's voice was filled with irritation.

"If you don't want to die, then why don't you have a seat?"

"Yes sir!"

Takuya immediately sat across from Ajin.

Now for the second time.

Why did you ask me for this meeting?

“Well, that…. big brother. I have thought a lot about this question. I mean, lots and lots of thinking, you know? But, I think I really, seriously have to ask you.

Ajin tilted his head.

"What are you talking about now?" »

"big brother, actually..."

Takuya's face flushed as if embarrassed by something, before gathering his courage and speaking up.

“Actually, I was thinking of making my own gu…..”

Ajin didn't even hesitate for a second and answered.

"I am not interested."

Takuya's expression turned bewildered.

"Already, big brother?!"

"I don't need to hear the rest to understand."

Ajin was quite decisive in saying no.

It wasn't because he didn't like Takuya or anything like that.

Even if he seemed a little lost in his head, his attitude remained courteous and he appeared as someone who always kept his word. He was quite different from other “famous” descendants often seen in the mass media.

However, Ajin was not interested in becoming the playmate of the son of a wealthy family during the boy's "Hunter" phase.

"If there's nothing else, I'm leaving."

"Huh, big bro!!"

Just as Ajin got up to leave, Takuya quickly reached out and clung to him.

"big brother, only for 20!" No wait, please team up with me for the next 18 times!! »

"For what? To clear the dungeons?"

"Yes!! I will definitely compensate you properly!!

Takuya's voice sounded rather desperate.

Ajin tilted his head slightly.

There were two reasons why people became Hunters. Either it was for money or for their sense of duty.

But Takuya belonged to neither side. Maybe he thought being a hunter was a slightly more dangerous form of extreme sports or something.

That was what Ajin had believed until now.

Admittedly, he was slightly surprised when the kid said he wanted to form his own private raid team, even after going through that ordeal last time.

"There are all kinds of people in this world, that's for sure."

It wouldn't be too strange to find a scion of a wealthy family who had become desensitized to the safe environment in which he grew up. However, Takuya's expression seemed far too serious and determined at the moment for that kind of explanation.

"Could there be a different reason?" »

Rather than the promise of "proper compensation", Ajin's curiosity was drawn to the idea of ​​looting "18" dungeons more times.

Ajin's brain quickly kicked into gear.

'Wait…. Let's say the last time was his second raid with Takuya. And when he completes another 18 raids, then….’

Could this kid be aiming…..?

It didn't take long for Ajin to realize the truth. His expression became dumbfounded, instead.

"You, are you perhaps considering obtaining the license of guild master?" »

"That's right, big bro!!"

What a smart decision not to order coffee.

Otherwise, he might have already sprinkled the bitter liquid all over the table trying to drink it.

“You want to become a guild master? Kids these days think big. »

"Well, uh, the story is a little complicated there, big brother."

Takuya's face flushed considerably from before as he spoke.

" big brother. Please listen to my story.

"..."

Ajin was in a slight dilemma, wondering what he should do now, but in the end he was overcome by his curiosity, so he sat back down.

"Alright, I'll listen. »

Well, the promised hour wasn't over yet, so there was that too. Anyway, it wouldn't be a problem to listen to the child's story.

Takuya also hurriedly put his butt down.

"As you guessed correctly, I want to acquire the Guild Master license."

Obtaining this license was not that difficult, in fact. You had to be a Hunter who participated in at least 20 raids. As long as you met this basic requirement, all you had to do was pass a written test and you would get the license.

Of course, no one would join the guild created by a trash hunter, and if a guild failed to maintain the minimum number of members, it would also be disbanded.

Takuya continued.

"It's not public knowledge yet, but in fact, my father is trying to start his own guild."

“A guild created by Wilkins Corporation?

"Yes."

Wilkins Corporation was one of the largest corporations in the United States.

He had expanded his business well beyond construction and into other industries and had made a killing there. Ajin had heard that recently they made huge profits after getting into Hunter related business as well.

"And they want to form their own guild?" »

When Ajin showed a hint of interest, Takuya grew excited and added more explanation.

“He would seek out powerful hunters and create a massive guild, and place all of our hunter-related business interests there. It's his plan.

If a society wanted to participate in activities related to hunters, then it was necessary to work with a guild. Well, you would need the might of a large guild if you ever wanted to get your hands on magic crystals and monster remains, or treasures such as mana stones found in A or B rated gates.

“And so, you want to become an autonomous entity. Is that right?"

"That's exactly right, big brother!" »

With Wilkins Corporation's financial means, creating a guild wouldn't even be a problem. No, the real issue would be who can run it.

“My dad plans to hire an S-rank hunter as guild master and put my older brother as vice-master, and run the guild that way, but…”

Ajin immediately understood what Takuya was entailing here. If things were done this way, then a source of concern would be created along the way.

The power of authority wielded by the guild master was simply far too great. Even if it was the Vice-Master who had hired the Master, in the event of a conflict between the two, there was a very good chance that the latter would end up taking precedence over the whole Guild.

To avoid this, there was only one way. All you had to do was hire a Master who would never betray whoever hired him.

For example, brothers – or even a son.

And the president of Wilkins Corporation, had a son named Takuya.

"However, my elder brother's business experience is way too good for me to just take on the position of Guild Master. It was his idea to get into Hunter-related business, you see. Grace to him, we have made huge profits in this sector.

His older brother had become a successful entrepreneur at the age of 33. Compared to him, Takuya was just a 22-year-old college student, though he possessed the unique advantage of being a D-rank Hunter.

Naturally, the president considered handing over the Guild to the eldest son.

The elder couldn't become a Master because he wasn't a Hunter, but he still knew a lot about Hunter-related businesses and also managed to achieve great success in the industry.

This means that even if there was an element of risk, the president would still take the risk.

"And you want to change your father's mind by acquiring the Master's license, huh?"

"That's right, big brother."

And so, Ajin understood why Takuya was here, desperately trying to bring him back.

Even if the kid hired a high rank F hunter got the license that way, it wouldn't be any different from buying it with cash. However, what if the child successfully completes 20 raids with lower ranked hunters, such as Ajin, and gets the license that way?

Takuya would be able to persuade his father.

The mere fact that he was able to lead a group of Hunters would be enough to earn his approval. That was what Takuya was counting on.

If Takuya became the guild master, they would get an S rank as vice master and spot all the talented hunters.

Well, others would only feel safe and join them if one or both of the master and vice master positions were filled by someone with powerful abilities.

If this plan were to come to fruition, then completing those 20 raids was an absolute must.

"big brother, please help me!" I don't have anyone but you, big brother!

Takuya lowered his head.

If it hadn't been for Ajin, the kid would have died on his second raid. By the giant beast, or at the hands of Koner. Twice.

Takuya needed a trusted ally here.

“I can really trust big brother. »

He may have been a cold-hearted person who wouldn't blink when he slew his enemies, but he also happened to be a righteous man who didn't treat the lives of those who were more lightly. weaker than him, and just as important, he didn't. Nor do I care about getting my hands on ill-gotten gains.

Ajin was the perfect candidate.

However, Ajin also had something to gain in this matter.

Ajin didn't need Takuya. That's why he asked the child.

"What would I get in return, then?" »

Takuya looked up, his expression gleeful, as he quickly produced an envelope he had prepared earlier. And a plan of a building came out of there. Ajin glanced at it.

“This is the Guild office building we're building right now. The building's expected retail price is around $50 million, but it will certainly increase in the future. »

Although the Association would do its best to deal with them, there would still be this fear of monsters escaping from dungeons. This is why the price of land near the Association headquarters or around large guilds always increased over time.

Well, there would be no wealth more valuable than one's own life, after all.

Even though it was a small guild, being close to it almost guaranteed your safety. However, what if it was a building occupied by a large Guild?

There was no need to mention it.

“If I become the Master, then for exactly one year I will use it until the Guild is stabilized. And then hand over the deeds, big brother. Of course, I will make sure that all the documents are in order so that there are no unnecessary complications later.

A 50 million building, for attacking rank C,B, and A gates more….

Ajin smirked.

“As long as you become the Master, everything will be worth it, right? »

"That's right, big brother."

On that fateful day, Takuya learned the valuable lesson of "It all happens in a dungeon".

Hiring any old hunter could get him killed.

On the other hand, hiring famous hunters would mean that Takuya would lose the ability to persuade his father.

However, Ajin was different.

He was nominally an F-rank Hunter, but he was strong enough to solo a B-rank boss, as well as eight C-rank Hunters without getting hurt.

‘big brother could be at least rated B…. Or, someone much stronger than that.

With Ajin around, looting multiple Tier C, B, and A Gates would be no problem.

So, yeah – if he could become the Guild Master, $50 million seemed pretty cheap in comparison.

The only thing left was for Ajin to agree to do it.

"He wouldn't say no to those kinds of terms, would he?" »

Takuya nervously studied Ajin's reactions.

'What should I do?'

Meanwhile, Ajin was in a serious dilemma.

$50 million.

It was a huge sum of money.

Considering the fact that the local lottery winning prize was $1.5 million, he would have to be lucky several billion times in a row to win that amount.

Not only that, the value of the building would only continue to rise.

If this was another normal Hunter, he'd jump in with both feet and sign up right away – that's how tempting this offer was.

However, Ajin was as far from normal as anyone could hope to be.

The one and only under heaven; he was the only Hunter who could get stronger.

If he continued his quests and leveled up again and again, he would sooner or later reach S rank, or even something beyond it.

"If I can get past S rank, then 50 million would be nothing."

The contract fees for S-rank Hunters already amounted to tens of billions.

No matter how famous a celebrity or sports star was, they would never even reach the value of an S-rated fighter.

It was the time when the number of high-ranking Hunters signified the strength of a nation. As a result, the treatment of S-ranks received was beyond imagination.

Considering this, what Ajin needed to prioritize here was not money, but his growth.

And to grow, it would be more convenient to be alone.

"Yes, it would be better to minimize the risks of unexpected events."

If he hunted with other people, the experience points received could also decrease, and because of all those eyes looking at him, making a move would also become quite cumbersome.

Not to mention, in order to prevent anything awkward from happening down the line, he had to threaten Takuya back then, something he didn't want to do in the first place.

And finally, he should now adapt his schedule to that of the assault team. The efficiency of his growth would only diminish, one way or another.

“I can always make money later. »

Although it was unfortunate, he had to decline the offer. Just as he thought like that….

'Wait a second.'

Suddenly he found a really good way to catch two birds called money and growth with just one stone.

‘If it is this way….’

When he finally looked up, he spotted Takuya and his nervous face. Ajin slowly opened his mouth.

"I only have one condition."

Takuya's expression brightened instantly.

"Whatever it is, please tell me, big bro!!

"I wonder, would you be able to smile even after I told you what it is?" »

Ajin smiled inwardly and spoke.

"You and me. Only two of us will enter the dungeons."

"Sorry?!"

1