Chapter 32: Reasoning Behind Some Things
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonze immediately stood beside Syrenne and placed his arm in front of her, as if to cover her from the elderly man. Leonze then leaned closer to speak to the surprised merchant.

"I'm sorry, but a real merchant never reveals their sources of trade without proper recompense. But that is not the issue at hand here. She did bring something of value. Something that no one has been able to get their hands on for decades. I believe that is worth being part of the esteemed Merchant Union, is it not?"

Leonze smiled at the elderly man, and then quickly winked at Syrenne. She smiled back and nodded. The man then cleared his throat and stood straight.

"Y-yes, indeed. This is a feat that is worthy of being part of the Merchant Union. I welcome you, Ms. Syrenne."

The elderly man held out his hand in front of Syrenne, offering a handshake. She looked at the hand before her for a moment. She then looked up and then shook his hand with a smile.

---

The rest of the party waited by the reception area while Syrenne ironed out the details of her membership. After a while, she was finished and went toward the others. Brittanya immediately rushed to Syrenne and tightly hugged her. Syrenne laughed lightly and hugged her back. Tears then slowly built up in her eyes while she smiled.

They then decided to celebrate and eat at a fancy restaurant. There was a place near the center of the city where all sorts of foods and products were available. Leonze led them around the busy and populated parts with ease until they reached their destination.

The restaurant was unlike the previous taverns and inns they ate at. The tables and chairs were made of metal, with stylish designs for its legs and backrests. The round tables were covered with a clean white cloth, and had a flower centerpiece on top of it. The ambience was very bright and vibrant.

The clientele was also very different. Most of the people eating inside wore fancy looking suits, gowns and other clothes representing their wealthy status.

Leonze went ahead first and entered the restaurant. When Jaegar and the others followed suit after much hesitation, they immediately noticed the difference with what they were used to. Jaegar and Brittanya looked down at themselves and then looked at each other.

"Aren't we a bit underdressed for this place?"

Brittanya stared at Jaegar.

"Underdressed? We stick out like a sore thumb. Let's get out of here and eat somewhere more our style."

Jaegar turned around and headed toward the door. Suddenly, Leonze called out to him from inside the dining area.

"Hey, get in here already!"

Leonze then peered out thru the hallway connecting the entryway and the dining area.

"I think were not suited for this place. And I don't think our food budget will allow us to eat at a place like this."

Brittanya forced a smile at Leonze. Jaegar, while still standing by the door, also looked at Leonze.

"Don't worry about the small stuff. I know the owner of this place. Hurry, I'm hungry already."

Leonze then disappeared from their sights.

"Can we… trust him…?"

Kryllo then turned his head and stared at Jaegar.

"He's a scammer. We don't know what to expect."

Jaegar frowned and closed his eyes.

"Don't worry. We can pay for the food using the remaining Diamede."

Syrenne smiled at the others and laughed lightly.

"Please tell me you’re joking."

Jaegar squinted at Syrenne. He then let out a loud sigh.

---

The five of them were now seated around a large table. Leonze already ordered for them and they were just waiting for the food to arrive.

Brittanya was looking at the other customers. She turned her head and stared at different people. She then finally bowed her head and looked downward.

"We're really out of place here, huh?"

She mumbled to herself.

"Stop staring at other people! We'll really stand out if you keep on doing that!"

Jaegar glared at Brittanya.

"Yes, Father…!"

Brittanya turned her head away from Jaegar as she scoffed at him. Jaegar then looked at Leonze, who was seated in front of him.

"Do you really know the owner of this place? You know we don't trust you, right?"

Jaegar raised his eyebrow as he stared down Leonze.

"Yup, I know him. Don't worry. You're too harsh on me, you know? That was just one time! And justified, somewhat. Can't we let the past be in the past?"

Leonze smiled at Jaegar.

"In your dreams."

Jaegar continued to glare at him. Leonze just forced a laugh.

"I see that this will take some more time… Anyway, we're here to celebrate Syrenne's acceptance into the Merchant Union! So, let's celebrate!"

Leonze then faced Syrenne, who was sitting beside him.

"Thank you. I couldn't have done anything without everyone… I don't know how I'll be able to repay each and every one of you…"

Syrenne smiled as she bowed and looked at a golden medallion she was wearing. It was the proof of membership in the Merchant Union.

"Hey! How about you join our party? Then we can continue going on our adventures!"

Brittanya smiled brightly as she touched Syrenne's shoulder. Jaegar suddenly closed his eyes and crossed his arms together. He remained silent afterwards.

"I really would like that… But…"

Syrenne gripped the medallion in her hand.

"But what…?"

Brittanya furrowed her brows as she waited for Syrenne's answer.

"I… I want to help my parents by establishing myself as a respectable member of the Merchant Union. In order to do that, I need to stay home and manage our business. I hope you understand, Brittanya…"

Syrenne forced a smile as she looked Brittanya in the eyes.

"Hey, Jaegar! Help me convince her!"

Brittanya then turned her head and stared at Jaegar. Suddenly, the waiters arrived and served their food.

"The food is finally here. Let's eat. I'm hungry."

Jaegar ignored Brittanya and started to get food on his plate.

Brittanya just let go of Syrenne's shoulder. She also forced a smile at Syrenne.

---

They ate a lot at the restaurant. Brittanya was worried that she would have to pay a lot for what they ate, but true to his word, Leonze was able to let them eat without worrying about the payment afterwards.

After they left the restaurant, Syrenne went out on her own to arrange a seat on a caravan that was headed back to Dosael. The party decided to return to the inn and decide on their next plan. Leonze walked behind them.

"Hey, Jaegar… Why didn't you help me convince Syrenne to join us?!"

Brittanya glanced sideways at Jaegar.

"I never had any intention of inviting her to join us."

Jaegar just looked ahead while walking.

"Huh? But why?!"

"You saw what happened back at Galunes, right? She got injured. And she wasn't even fighting."

Jaegar quickly glanced at Brittanya.

"Are you saying she's useless?!"

Brittanya was now glaring at him.

"I'm saying we'll only put her in danger. Do you really want that?!"

Jaegar stopped walking so everyone else did. He was now also glaring at Brittanya.

"No…"

She averted her gaze from Jaegar.

"I just don't need anyone who we're obligated to protect. They'll just weigh us down."

Jaegar started to walk again.

"You didn't have to put it like that…"

Brittanya clenched her fists. After a while, she eventually relaxed and followed after Jaegar. Kryllo walked immediately after she moved.

Suddenly, Leonze spoke up from behind them.

"Well, now that you've settled that issue. How about you guys instead let me join your party?"

Leonze had his hands behind his head as he walked. The three in front of him stopped and looked at Leonze. They stared for a while, and then walked again.

"H-hey… What was that look for? Why didn't you say anything?"

Leonze stopped walking and reached out his hand toward the others, who were walking away from him. He was still answered with silence.

"Guys…? Guys! Wait up!"

Leonze ran and overtook them. He then stopped while facing them and blocked their path.

"What do you want?"

Jaegar squinted at Leonze.

"I-I said I want to join you guys! Why the silent treatment?!"

Leonze glared at Jaegar, while he still had his hands stretched sideways to prevent them from walking away.

"Didn't you hear what he just said? He doesn't want anyone that needs to be protected."

Brittanya closed her eyes and shook her head.

"Come on! You have to take me with you! Ever since I've met you guys, there have been always an instance where leads on the Legendary Artifacts pop up one way or another. If I stick with you, then I'd probably end up finding them—"

"Pass. We're not after fairy tales."

Jaegar walked past the outstretched arms of Leonze. Brittanya and Kryllo followed after him until they all were behind him.

Suddenly, someone stepped in front of Jaegar and prevented him from walking any further.

"I'm sorry, but I hope you reconsider. Also, I can guarantee that you don't have to worry about protecting him or anything."

It was the elderly man that they met back at the Merchant Union Headquarters.

"You just had to butt in, huh, Father?"

Leonze turned around and glared at the elderly man.

1