Chapter 4: When Storms and Oceans Collide  
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is one of our best artifacts here. A potted vase that is said to belong to a fallen empire. What makes it so different from the many vases we were able to excavate in the area was that it has gold painted on it and jewels encrusted on its body. Do you see the traces of its past intricate design?”

A half-hearted grin was what the old man received from Briar, accompanied by a small nod. Mr. Castriel Persimore was an old, skinny man who walked slower than a snail as he headed their tour around the museum. Having him as the leader of their special tour seemed like a bad idea as time passed by. The only area they have circled around for the past thirty minutes was the same artifacts room. And honestly, Briar’s feet were already hurting. Even his aunt, a woman known for her endurance, was murmuring complaints when the old man was out of earshot.

“I apologize, my child. If I had known your suitor is as old as his exhibits, I would have turned down his invite.” Fanning herself, she sighed. “If this continues, we might finish our tour in the next five years!”

“It’s such a shame since this museum seems promising…”

Maybe if Icarus were here with us—No. I mustn't think about him. Exhaling aloud, Briar tugged on the collar of his polo out of boredom. If only a certain someone would do the honors of leading the tour instead…

Eyes glancing back for a certain handsome, blue-eyed man, Briar found himself staring at who saved him from causing more embarrassment towards himself. Platinum blond hair seemed to reflect the sunlight pouring through the cracks of the thick curtains. Cobalt blue irises matched the gem attached to his brooch. He was certainly a man loved by the gods. If the man weren’t following them from behind, Briar would have left the museum the moment he saw his suitor.

“Do you have a question?”

Blinking, Briar’s eyes widened when the man he was silently and secretly admiring was suddenly talking to him. It was enough to make his head haywire for a split second, rendering him into a sputtering and blushing mess. “Q-question? What do you mean? D-did I… Sorry, I couldn’t help but stare at you—I mean! What I meant to say is that I…”

Ah… I want the whole ground to swallow me up now!

“Oh? Do you find me… interesting?”

Taken aback by the words uttered, the old man rambling and entertaining his aunt was no longer heard by Briar. The background noise even lowered. All his senses were now focused on the man in front of him.

Oh my… Is he flirting back? Is that even considered flirting?

“W-well, you are indeed handsome. I’d give you that. But that is all.” Scanning whatever strange object he could find in the room, he pointed at an exoskeleton of what appeared to be a horse with a unique saddle attached to it. “In fact, what interested me the most is that! It seems like an ordinary horse’s skeleton to me.”

Following the direction of whatever he was pointing, the attractive man hummed and nodded. “I see. Those are the remains of another extinct creature called a pegasus or a winged horse that used to serve heroes and angels. Unfortunately, there aren't any fragments or bones from its wings—even the horn is missing. However, I assure you it is a pegasus and not an ordinary horse.”

“Hm, then what about that? It looks like another ordinary knife!”

“That is a knife used by the ancient race that used to roam the lands of the north. Ever heard of centaurs? They may not be around anymore, but they are responsible for the many tools and equipment we use today. Well, the blacksmiths copied and improved them. And what makes this knife unique is that it can pierce anything its path crosses. A hard shell wouldn’t be able to withstand it.”

“You’re… pretty knowledgeable, I must say. Plus, you make some boring artifact sound so fascinating with just how you speak.”

“It’s my occupation. I wouldn’t be able to call myself a curator if I didn’t know everything this museum has. And I’m honored that you like how I speak.”

Briar hummed in agreement. “That is true. But doesn’t it get tiring? And what’s with the name of the museum? I haven’t seen a single object which I could call peculiar. If I were to be honest, it’s a bit lukewarm at best. Oh…” Leaning close to the man, Briar whispered, “But don’t tell the old man I said that about this museum. He might flip or something. The last thing I want is to appear rude, especially with how we were given free tickets.”

Briar figured he should have prepared his heart as the crack of a smile—from the man who may have descended from the heavens—was in his line of vision. He suddenly had the idea that death wouldn’t be so bad if that was the last thing he would see.

“Is that so? Personally, I think it’s a good name compared to the many ones we came up with. And if you are searching for the peculiar things we have, they are on the second floor of the museum.”

“Really? What kind of peculiar stuff?”

“For one, there is the feces of a phoenix bird which is said to cure burns. Yet, there isn’t any logical explanation or proof behind it.”

Did he just say… feces of a phoenix?

“I see you’re making a face. Don’t worry, it doesn’t smell since it has been crystalized so it would be preserved. There are pictures of what it used to look like before the process—”

“I think seeing it crystalized is for the best.”

“There is also a ball made out of feathers from a harpy. Plus, an egg of a dragon has been preserved as well. Snot and fingernails from a giant—”

“Is the second floor open for public viewing? Because the snot and the fingernails are kind of… disgusting,” Briar chuckled sheepishly, not knowing how to word it better. “How did you even get all that stuff?”

“After researching and finding locations that may have been their dwelling, me and my team fly or teleport there. Sometimes we just see them by chance.”

“Teleport?”

“I am a sorcerer. It is far more convenient than flying or traveling on foot. Quicker, too.”

Briar gasped lightly at the revelation, but he was expecting it. “Wait, you’re a sorcerer like that old man? What do you specialize in, then?”

The man froze at Briar’s question, confusion etched on his face—one that even Briar still found attractive. “What do you mean? The professor isn’t a sorcerer.”

Wait… Did Mr. Castriel lie about being a sorcerer? If that is so, he shouldn’t be a fit candidate as a husband at all! He could die any moment and is probably a mere human being!

“Is there something wrong?”

Shaking his head, Briar smiled softly in hopes of dismissing the matter. “No, I just had a thought. So, what else is there upstairs? I kind of want to go up there, but at the same time, I have to go back home soon. There wouldn’t be enough time… Unless I come back here to see it for myself.”

Which would probably be awkward to do so since I intend to reject the old man.

“What are you interested in? There are plenty of categories…”

“Rare ones? What is the most peculiar object you got?”

Putting a hand under his chin, the curator was in deep thought for a second before glancing up at Briar. “This is probably the rarest exhibit we have and is also mind-boggling due to the fact that we discovered it last year.”

Curious, Briar stepped closer to him. “Really? What is it then?”

“A piece of a mermaid’s scale.”

Everything stopped for a moment. Heart pounding erratically at the new information laid out for him that Briar almost found it hard to breathe as he echoed the words.

“Mermaid’s… scale?”

“Exactly. What boggles me to no end is that these species were supposed to be extinct. They were known to be man-eaters or monsters alike, luring sailors into their clutches. They were even considered one of the most sought after in hunts because rumors circulated eons ago that one can achieve immortality if one eats the ashes of a mermaid. Personally, I don’t think that is true because this has never been proven. Yet, last year, while we were at a beach in the northern land, I found the scale washed up on the shore. What’s the matter? You look pale all of a sudden.”

Swallowing his anxiety, Briar laughed humorlessly as he removed one of his gloves to fan himself. “Really? I must be that tired. I haven’t slept well last night, you see. Maybe a little rest will do the trick.”

“Oh? Are you tired? I do apologize if we took so much of your time.” The old man overheard them, instantly walking up to them with a grin. “How about we head for the office lobby? You can rest there while eating refreshments.”

As much as Briar wanted to go straight home, he still had to sort things out with the old Mr. Castriel so he agreed. With his aunt by his side, Briar and the rest went in the direction of where the museum’s offices are.

“Aunt Marge, I’ll turn him down myself after tea.”

“All right. I wish you the best of luck.”

The attractive man soon disappeared into his own office as refreshments were brought out, leaving Briar disappointed.

I would have wanted to apologize for cutting his discussion short. However, the topic…

“Briar, you’re biting your fingernail.” Lady Margareth whispered, nudging his hand. Briar mumbled an apology as he lowered his hand from his lips. “What’s the matter? Why are you nervous? Is it because you’re going to turn him down? You can leave it up to me, you know.”

“No, no. It’s not that. I will explain it to you later, Aunt Marge.”

“Hello my lady and sir, I hope the tea is to your liking.” Mr. Castriel entered with a tray with the tea set on it. Briar feared he might let it go due to how shaky his hands were that he stood up and offered to take it. “Thank you, Mr. Solentine.”

“Don’t mention it. However, we would have to cut our visit short as soon as we finish the tea. You see, my aunt still has a party to attend tonight and I wouldn’t want her to be delayed. It takes time for her to get ready, you see.”

“Yes, that is indeed true.” Lady Margareth shot Briar a look at how the excuse accused her of being a slowpoke. “It would definitely take some time since I’m old and couldn’t handle basic things such as grooming myself or applying makeup.”

I’m sorry, Aunt Marge!

“Oh! I see… There is no problem. However, I do suggest you ask—”

“Sir, forgive me for interrupting you…” Briar stood up, his teacup left untouched. “But I can’t delay it no longer for my conscience would not allow it.”

“Um, what is it?”

“Could we talk outside? Right now?”

“But what about tea—”

“That can wait. The urgency of the matter at hand, can’t. I must speak with you before getting your hopes up even further.”

“A-all right.” The old man stood up, gesturing to the door. “This way please…”

Ignoring the stare his aunt gave him, Briar and the old man left the lobby. Heading to the hallway where there were no people, Briar waited for the old man to initiate the conversation. Clearing his throat, Mr. Castriel questioned.

“What is it that you must tell me, Mr. Solentine?”

Here it goes…

“I’m sorry, Mr. Castriel.” Bowing his head, Briar sighed. “But I have to deny your request to court me. I know that it is rude of me to do this, especially here when you have graciously invited us to your museum. However, I don’t want to wait another day or send you a letter of my reply for it will never change. I see that you are a kind-hearted man, but I can’t marry someone who is quite old and is human. You see… You see I am a special case and which I can’t divulge more. Once again, I apologize.”

Silent. It was silent for a few moments that Briar feared the old man had a stroke until a hand patted him on the shoulder. Mr. Castriel gestured for him to stand straight which Briar did. A ghost of a smile on his wrinkled face.

“I… appreciate the considerate words you have given me. But I’m afraid you are mistaken, Mr. Solentine.”

Briar cocked his head slightly to the side.

“What?”

“I am Professor Hundley, not Castriel. I am not the owner of the museum, but a humble old employee who has been serving Mr. Castriel Persimore for the past five years. The man you have been talking to during the tour is Mr. Persimore himself.”

Eh?! 

1