Chapter 3
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Streets of Childhood

 

“Ez…” Aqil looked over at her as she kept herself busy with reloading. She had almost finished reloading the thousand rounds they had in the last week of taking time off. “How are you doing?”

 

“Fine.” She answered automatically, not even thinking of an honest answer.

 

“Ez. Come one. Actually think about it for more than a second.”

 

She took a deep breath and moved in her chair to face Aqil. “It’s scary. I’m scared.” She quietly muttered. “This kid, whoever they are, they’re making me realize I’ve got something to worry about other than myself. Now I’ve got another being to care for-to live for. I’ve barely cared since the outbreak,” she wrapped her arms around herself, “but now I guess I’ve got to.”

 

“It’ll be alright, Ez. Things won’t be easy, but we can figure it out like we always have.” Aqil tried to reassure her but knew he didn’t have the words to make her feel better.

 

“I need some time to think. I’m gonna take the bike out for a drive.” She stood up from the chair and walked to the door, not hearing anything Aqil said to try and stop her. She pulled the old dirt bike they had fixed up from the garage, praying it’d turn on. Once she got it running, she left their little compound and drove to their old neighborhood. To her parent's sterile and empty house and to the neighboring house she had grown up in.

 

She pulled into the driveway and got off the bike, walking up to the front door she had already broken into. Anytime she needed to think, she’d come here, which meant Aqil would come sooner or later to pick her up and talk.

 

Ezra walked up the stairs and into their old room, looking at the poster-lined walls. She ran her hand along them before sitting on her old bed and taking a deep breath. Before too long, Aqil showed up, sitting down next to her in silence. 

 

Eventually, Ezra spoke up. “This baby is going to change everything, and I’m not sure I can do it.”

 

“It doesn’t have to, Ezra.” He placed his hand on top of hers. “You don’t have to keep the child. Abortion is an option, or I’m sure one of Roan’s rich friends would adopt an infected baby.” He paused, waiting for her to speak, but when she didn’t, he spoke again. “No matter what you choose, I’ll be here for you.”

 

“I know.” She looked up at him. “Thank you.”


First Taste of The Good Life

 

“Ez!” Liza, one of the girls staying with Ezra’s family, yelled out from the other room. “Some old guy is here asking for you.”

 

Ezra jumped up from her bed, looking down at herself to make sure she looked decent before going out to greet them. She already knew it was Cohen, as she had given him her address, so she wasn’t surprised when he was the one standing in the doorway.

 

“Don’t yell that, Liza.” Ezra harshly whispered to her as she walked by to greet Cohen. “Hey.” She casually leaned on the doorway.

 

“I’ve got a job for you if you’re free.”

 

“I don’t have work until later.” She shrugged. “I’m free.”

 

“Grab a backpack if you have one.” He nodded inside. She quickly walked past the kids that were still home and hungry for some drama and into their room to grab her backpack before returning to him. “Come on.” He motioned for her to follow. She turned back to the other kids and glared, warning them not to tell of this moment to the parents or else.

 

“What’re we doing?” Ezra finally asked once they were on the elevator headed down.

 

“I know a guy who makes food tickets.”

 

“Fake ones then.” She interrupted him.

 

He nodded and continued on. “I need them transported through multiple checkpoints from one side of the city to the other. I need someone who looks unimposing, so you will be going alone. I’ll meet you on the other side.”

 

“And if something goes wrong?” She looked up at him.

 

“I don’t know you.” He shrugged casually. “But if we succeed, I’ll give you some things from outside the zone worth more than a year's wages around here.”

 

“Deal.” Ezra’s eyes lit up at the mention.


Ezra pushed the door open, closing it behind her, breathing heavily. She leaned against the door, keeping it closed as she regained her breath.

 

“You the courier?” She jumped as a man spoke to her from the darkness.

 

“Ye--yeah.” She stood up off the door, trying to seem as tall as possible. 

 

“Come here.” Her eyes adjusted enough for her to follow him into the dark until they came to a door which he knocked on. There was a metallic noise before the door opened, bright light flooding into the warehouse. She followed after him, past the person who had opened the door: Cohen.

 

“Good girl.” He smiled down at her, closing the door and latching it before following after them.

 

Ezra looked around them. They seemed to be in a workshop of sorts, or maybe a marketplace filled with items she hadn’t seen in the year she had been here: weapons of every variety, canned foods of fruits that had been eaten first, leaving each person with drab MREs or vegetable stew.

 

“Show them, show them.” The man excitedly rubbed his hands together, looking at Ezra.

 

“Go ahead.” Cohen placed his hand on her shoulder.

 

Ezra removed her backpack, taking the tickets out, and placed them on the table. “There--there you go.” She looked back at Cohen expectantly, seeing a large smile grow on his face.

 

“You’ve got some real potential, Ezra.” He picked up the tickets, handing them to the other man. 

 

“Now, why don’t you pick something out from the stock as a reward.”

 

Ezra stepped back from them, her eyes scanning the walls again. Bottles of booze piqued her interest, but she knew if Karim saw, he’d kill her. Baggies of what seemed to be weed was also an option, but in the end, Ezra picked up a bar of deodorant. She had run out of hers shortly after arriving here and had been making do with a spray of perfume to keep her from smelling so bad. Admittedly it didn’t work as well as the real thing.

 

“Practical girl.” Cohen chuckled from behind her.

 

“How about I buy us something to celebrate, and we go back to my place?” He grabbed a bottle off the wall, tucking it into his bag. She smiled at the thought.


More Than A Friendship

 

“Fucking house is falling apart.” Ezra, frustrated, yelled out as she hammered another board onto the siding.

 

“Better than no house at all.” Aqil called back to her as he scooped the leaves out of the gutters. Asuka was currently running around the yard chasing a butterfly below the ladders. Aqil climbed down the ladder and moved it so he was now closer to Ezra. As he climbed up, he watched her hammer overhead, her chest jiggling as she did. He tried to tear his attention away, to give her privacy, but didn’t seem able to in the moment.

 

Ezra looked over at him with a questioning glance. “Something you like, Aqil?”

 

“Oh, no.” He looked away quickly to hide his fierce blush. “Ez.” He finally spoke after a few moments. “Do you…find me attractive?” He quietly muttered his question.

 

Ezra shrugged, not turning her attention away from her work. “I’d sleep with someone who looks like you. Sure, you’re hot, but it’s different; you’re my best friend.”

 

“I…I get it.” He nodded, not really getting it.

 

Both of them looked over as Cohen arrived outside the compound. Ezra climbed down the ladder to open the gate for him, allowing him to drive in.

 

“I’ve got some news with you two.” Cohen called out to Aqil, who climbed down his own ladder to walk over.

 

“What’s the news?” Aqil asked, wiping his hands on his pants.

 

“I’ve got a job for you. One I think you’ll enjoy.” Cohen put his arm around Erza’s shoulders. “A job sent from Biotech to wipe out an infected hoard. They’re providing ammo and weapons.”

 

“Sounds like fun.” Ezra smiled widely at the thought. She always loved getting her hands dirty when it came to the infected.

 

“Only one downside: they’re sending some of their agents to oversee it.”

 

“Not the best, but as long as they let me shoot some runners, I’m excited still.”

 

“Ez. Maybe we shouldn’t do this. Not with your…condition.”

 

“I can still shoot and run.” Ezra crossed her arms. 

 

“Ezra, please.” Aqil spoke seriously, looking at her with pleading eyes. 

 

“I’m not going to sit back and do nothing while you have all the fun.”

 

“Just snipe, at least.”

 

Ezra sighed deeply before dropping her arms. “Fine.” 

 

“What exactly is this ‘condition’?” Cohen asked after the two stopped bickering, looking down at Ezra.

 

“I…” She looked away from him.

 

“It’s nothing.” Aqil quickly answered, regretting bringing it up without Ezra’s permission.


Thinning Their Numbers

 

“Ezra.” She had her arms tucked behind her back as she nodded at the Biotech agents.

 

“Aqil.” He held his hand out to the head solider who towered over the others.

 

“Mack.” The man smiled at them, shaking Aqil’s hand. “This is Felix and Shaheen.” He motioned towards the other agents. “Are you ready to head out?” 

 

“We are.” Aqil nodded. 

 

“We’ll take the Humvee.” Mack patted the hood of the large vehicle. 

 

“Only if I get to be the one on that gun.” Ezra smiled over at Mack.

 

“I doubt you can convince Felix to let you shoot ‘er.” Mack laughed heartily, before waving everyone into the  Humvee. They all put on headsets so they could hear one another, as well as protect their ears from the sounds of the guns.

 

“Where are you two from in New-I’m sorry, No Man’s Land?” Shaheen asked. 

 

“39.7392° N, 104.9903° W.” Aqil answered, having long ago memorized the quarantine zone’s coordinates.

 

“Old Denver.” Shaheen responded. “Heard some bad things about the quarantine zones.”

 

“I’ve heard some are still going, ruled by a new leader.” Mack added.

 

“We try to stay out of politics.” Ezra ended the conversation. If they wanted information about No Man’s Land, they’d have to find it out through someone else.

 

“Heard.” Mack simply responded as the line became quiet until they got closer to the sawmill. “This is your drop-off point, Ezra.”  The Humvee came to a stop.

 

“Thanks for the lift.” She opened the door and jumped out, taking her rifle with her. 

 

“We’ll be in touch.” They drove off to get closer to the sawmill as Ezra got set up to snipe from the hilltop. She was a good three hundred meters away from the mill, perfect range for her and her rifle though.

 

The others made their way down to road to the sawmill. The ground down here was muddy but not an issue for the Humvee that tore through the soil. After getting down there and pressing the explosives as well as everyone getting themselves ready, they sounded the alarm, attaching all infected in the area. They started pouring in from every direction. Sometimes in groups up to the hundreds, but some by themselves. As they came, the group tore through them, triggering explosions when they came too close or a hoard too big came in. This zone had already been prepped previously for a hoard showdown, but had yet to been used, making the perfect place to do this.

 

Ezra pulled back on the bolt, sliding it forward again before looking down the scope, shooting and taking the zombie’s head off. Cohen’s reinforcements pulled up, adding to the firepower.


They all clinked their drinks together before pulling them away and taking a sip. “To one helluva fight!”

 

Everyone cheered, filling the bar with cheers and laughter. No lives had been lost and only minor injuries inflicted, leaving everyone in high spirits. Even Ezra who was drinking a soda instead.

 

“So, tell me about all of you.” Aqil inquired. “You all hold your own well.”

 

“Oh, are you sure?” Mack asked, receiving a nod from him. “Well, how much do you know about Biotech? Specifically the leader.”

 

Aqil shrugged. “Not too much. Know it’s some rich guy.”

 

“With a hot wife.” Ezra added in.

 

“I’m an ex-NCR soldier. I was sent by General Miller to protect Avery, LaCroix’s ‘hot wife’.”

 

“Oh wow, the honor to be a babysitter.” Ezra laughed.

 

“Avery’s one tough bitch. She doesn’t need a babysitter, trust me.” Mack shook his head, laughing. “We’ve all worked with her.” He motioned towards Shaheen and Felix.”

 

“Then why aren’t you protecting her now?”

 

“Life still goes on, and they’ve got another baby on the way.” Mack shrugged casually. An uneasiness buried itself in Ezra’s stomach at the mention of a baby. Aqil looked over at her, before placing his hand on top of hers,

 

“What--what about you two? Don’t let loud mouth outshine you.” Ezra attempted to continue the conversation.

 

“Let the loud mouth take this.” Mack held his phone up and walked out of the bar.

 

“I’m mostly the medic.” Shaheen stated. He was still wearing his keffiyeh, which Aqil recognized as his father used to wear one when he did outside work.

 

“I’m just a gunner.” Felix shrugged casually.

 

“He’s more than just a gunner. He’s originally from the Soviet State of America.” Shaheen added. “That makes you more than special in my eyes, Felix.”

 

“I’ve only heard of the Soviet State.” Ezra spoke up, interested to hear more about it than what they were taught in school.

 

“I didn’t live there too long.” He shook his head. “They don’t allow trans people, so I had to leave to seek refugee in Biotech, where it’s accepted.”

 

“Oh wow, well I’m glad you found it.” Aqil looked at him in surprise, rarely having met someone who was trans, not out here, at least.

 

“I’ve got another job for you two.” Mack walked back into the bar. “We’ve got an ex-employee who got smuggled out here. He’s a traitor with information we can’t have getting out. We want him dead. You two down?”

 

“Sure.” Ezra glanced over at Aqil before confirming.


Outside The Walls

“Keep pace, Ezra.” Cohen looked behind at her as they jogged through the city streets. It was early enough in the morning that no one was out except guards, who they were careful not to be spotted by.

 

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going now?”

 

“Not yet, Ezra.” He shook his head, looking forward again. She followed him in silence until they found themselves at a warehouse on the edge of the wall. “Come in here.” He motioned her into the warehouse before lifting a grate, which he slipped inside. Ezra followed him without question, following him through a dark passage. Within a few minutes, they finally were on the other side of the barely-lit passage. Cohen knocked on the metal door in front of them, which was promptly opened by another buff man. 

 

“Where are we? Are we…on the other side of the wall?” Ezra asked quietly.

 

“We are.” Cohen smiled.

 

“She looks young, Cohen.” The other man spoke up. “We shouldn’t bring her along.”

 

“She can hold her own.” Cohen shook his head. “She’s coming with us.”

 

“Fine, fine.” The other man held his hands up. 

 

“Ezra. Today you’ll kill your first infected.” He faced her, with a smile on his face.


An Easy Job

 

It didn’t take them long to find the man they were after, as he had left obvious tracks of his presence. Before long, they were at the doorstep of the house he was hiding out in. Aqil kicked the door open, both walking in with guns out, mimicking an army of two.

 

“Hands up.” Ezra yelled as she saw a man cowering in the corner.

 

The man instantly put his hands up, his face lit up by the flashlight on her pistol. “Please--please don’t shoot me.”

 

“Sorry pal, that’s exactly what we were here to do.” Ezra shot, the center of his head turning red as he fell to the floor.

 

“Easy enough, I guess.” Aqil sighed and he put his gun away.


A Prisoner of Circumstance

 

“Kids.” Karim looked back down at Ezra and Aqil. “You’ll need to stay quiet. This is very important. The two teens nodded in sync, not planning on talking out of turn. Karim took a deep breath before pushing the door open. 

 

Karim greeted the receptionist, telling her they had an appointment. She pointed them up the elevator and to a different floor where his office was. They boarded the elevator, rode it, and got off on the right floor, walking into the man’s office.

 

“Jason Cadwell.” The man stood up, holding his hand out to Karim. Just by the look of him, they could tell he was a military man, likely NCR.

 

“Karim.” He shook Jason’s hand before sitting down in one of the chairs.

 

“You came to talk about your wife, correct?” Jason asked, sitting back down in his own chair.

 

“Yes. I would like to request she be transferred back here.”

 

“I cannot do that, unfortunately.” Jason shook his head.

 

“Why? Why not?” Karim gripped tightly onto the chair. “She deserves to be here with her family.”

 

“She is needed outside these walls.” He shook his head.

 

“This is bullshit.” Karim stood up, leaving both teens surprised as it was the first time they heard his curse. “Where is my wife?! Let me talk to her!” Karim leaned over the desk.

 

“Do not yell at me.” Jason stood up. “Your wife is busy helping people and cannot be contacted.”

 

“She didn’t sign up for this!”

 

“Oh, but she did.” A smirk grew on the man’s face. 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Your wife literally signed up to be sent out to the frontlines, outside the quarantine zone.”

 

“Jade…” Karim looked down sadly, before looking at the kids. “Come on, let’s go home.”


All Or Nothing At All

 

Ezra is lying down on the couch, watching the ceiling fan as it slowly rotates. The house is quiet except for the hum of the generator and the occasional hiss from the cockroaches. Aqil walked over and sat down next to her on the floor and tries to strike up a conversation. After a while of little progress, he got up and turned some music on and began dancing and signing along.

 

“Play the funky music, white boy. Play that funky music, right!” He sang at the top of his lungs. He danced his way over to the couch, grabbing Ezra’s arm and pulling her up to her feet. She reluctantly began dancing along with him, but in time a smile grew on her face and she began singing along to some of their favorite songs.

 

Eventually, the record stopped, and Aqil put on an Al Bowlly album. They began to slow dance.

 

“I’ve finally made my mind up.” Ezra spoke quietly with her lips next to his ear. “I’m going to keep the baby, no matter what. I want to give this kid a good life, better than we’ve had.”

 

“I’m glad you figured out what you wanna do, Ez.” They continued to sway to the music, as Aqil built up his courage before finally speaking. “Ezra. I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Aqil.” Ezra spoke, her eyes closed as they swayed.

 

“No, Ez. I love you. I’ve loved you for as long as I can remember. Watching you sleep with all those men broke me and I just wanted it to be me. To give you a real relationship and support.”

 

Ezra pulled back from him to look in his eyes, both now standing still. “I’ve seen you as a brother for so long, I…” She trailed off.

 

“Whatever you choose, Ez. I’ll still love you and help you raise this child. But…I want to be more than just that. I want to be their father.”

 

Ezra sat there for a while, thinking it over, thinking about how she had known for so long but denied herself of any kind of affection like that. But maybe it was time to open herself up to a real relationship, to someone who wouldn’t hurt her.

 

Ezra stepped forward, kissing Aqil.

0