Chapter Nine Meeting Family/The Guild
832 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arlie found her cousin in her workshop. The ground was covered in magical formations, and her workbench was cluttered with equipment and strange compounds. Only half of which Arlie actually recognized including a few rare exotic items she wished she had back home. Among the ingredients, she noted the presence of a jar of Ground Seacrown. Alongside a jar of Fairy’s Nectar. She stared briefly at the jar of Fairy’s Nectar wishing she had some of it back home before composing herself, and calling out, “Hey Ria! Too busy to even greet your cousin at the door!”

Ria gently put what she was working with down, and turned around. Like Arlie, she was a short girl, but she was, in fact, a good twenty centimeters shorter, and she was not as well endowed. She had a cute face that was similar to Arlie’s framed by long black hair. While she was in fact over a hundred years of age, Ria could easily pass for ten years old. Thanks to her awakened mage blood her skin was still smooth and youthful. Allowing her to appear far younger than she actually was. She was wearing some badly worn mage robes, that she likely hadn’t changed in a few days. The robes were torn in several places, and covered in stains.

“Arlie! Why didn’t you tell me you were coming!? I would have worn something much more appropriate,” said Ria. Arlie stared at a particularly bad tear that ran from her left shoulder to her belly, and said, “Yeah, you might want to change before my friends see you.” While deciding not to mention that her left mound was completely exposed. Ria looked down, and said, “Yeah, I may have ruined this robe a bit too much to be presentable. Why don’t you go fetch me a spare robe from my bedroom?”

Arlie figured it would be best if she did, and quickly agreed. As she left the workshop, she was really wondering what Ria did for her robe to end up like that. The house had a similar layout to her own, but with a few minor differences. The hall that led her backyard back home led to the workshop being the biggest one. She had ruined a number of robes herself while experimenting with magic, but the only time she had torn a robe like that was when that Vorlak had ambushed her in the forest. She doubted Ria would tell her though. 

Ria’s bedroom was in the other hall, from the main room, so she had to walk past her friends to reach it. As she passed them the first time she told them to stay put, and rushed out of the room to get her cousin a presentable robe. Her cousin actually had a number of robes in her wardrobe, but she didn’t just grab any robe. She took her time to find one that was appropriate to the situation. She found a decent blue and silver robe that was also the nicest one she had short of formal wear. It was the only one that wasn’t stained or torn. She found herself wondering what Ria was doing with her wardrobe. Sure she had plenty of stained robes herself, but she always threw the robe out if it got torn.

Having selected a robe, she rushed back to Ria. Fortunately, her friends were staying put in the main room. Well, minus Horon who was still outside keeping an eye on the cart. She saw him briefly through the window, and he was busy brushing down her horse. She knew that her horse loved a good brushing so it was likely quite happy at the moment. Entering the workshop, the new robe clutched in her hand, she found Ria was now standing in the middle of the room clad only in her panties.

She handed the robe over, and while her cousin was getting dressed she struck up a conversation. “Sorry I didn’t send a letter ahead, but this trip came up kind of suddenly,” said Arlie.

“Anything I need to worry about?” asked Ria.

“Well, the last few days have been rather eventful for me. First, a corruption anomaly showed up in the forest near Voros. I took care of that, and when I tried to go home an Ancient Dragon controlled my body,” said Arlie, and Ria interrupted, “Aurora appeared? Sorry I probably should have warned you about that meddling dragon. Not that it would have helped much.”

“Yeah she did. Made me give a prophecy, and then said I could learn more about it from the Red Temple,” said Arlie.

“She may have framed it as if you had a choice, but when that dragon wants something, it gets done. Honestly, I don’t think you are ready for the trials of the temples, but I do have something that may be of help. One thing you need to remember is that the High God’s Blessing has no power in the trials, but at least your life isn’t actually in danger. Death in the trials means you will lose any possessions you may have on you, including the clothes on your back. Of course the guardian will tell you all of this going in, and I’m sure I’m forgetting something about them,” said Ria.

“You seem to know a thing or two about the temple,” commented Arlie. 

“Well that’s because your mother challenged the trials, and she dragged me and my mother along. I would offer to go with you, but you are only allowed to challenge the trials once,” said Ria.

“I will gladly take any advice you can offer,” responded Arlie. She was actually kind of nervous about exploring that temple, but she had gathered that she didn’t have much of a choice already.

“I can’t give you much advice on the temple trial itself, but this tome contains magical knowledge that may prove useful to you. Also, be careful with that meddling dragon, and always mind your words. That dragon can be rather troublesome, especially when she chooses to help,” said Ria as she headed for the door. Having already gotten dressed.

“There is something else I could also use some help on,” said Arlie before explaining her problems with Thron.

“Yeah, some people can’t take a hint. There are a few spells that could solve your little problem, but our family doesn’t specialize in mind magic. You would need a mind mage to fix the problem with magic. Honestly, I think you should just stick with the mundane way, and keep giving him the cold shoulder. Even with his density he will eventually get the message, and I got the impression that violence doesn’t work well with him,” said Ria who had stopped in the hall. Having gotten the impression that this conversation was best had out of earshot of her friends.

“I was afraid you would say that,” replied Arlie thoroughly disappointed. Then Arlie remembered something she had forgotten to tell her thanks to a minor interruption, “Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, but I picked up a demoness while on the road.”

“I would recommend you be careful around her. Demons can be very dangerous,” said Ria.

“I know, and I don’t really have the time to keep an eye on her. Besides, it looks like you could use some help. So why don’t you take her?” said Arlie.

“I think I will, but mostly because I think you are too young for the responsibility,” said Ria.


A few minutes later, Arlie and Ria were seated in the main room discussing plans for the day. Arlie and friends had a number of things they needed to get done, before leaving for the temple. They need to gather information on the area, and prepare for a trip to the temple. As such Arlie wanted to get some research done at the library, but she also wanted to purchase a few maps of northern Varixyies. As such a trip to the guild was essential. Stopping by the local tavern would also be a good place to get some news on the area.

“Yeah, I think Rose and I can take care of buying supplies to replace what we lost,” said Lily.

“Sounds like a good idea. I’ll stay here and do some maintenance on our equipment,” said Horon offering his input. Being in town made now a good time to do some maintenance so no one had any objections to his proposal.

“I think I will stay here, as well,” said Ixil. She had no interest in wandering a human settlement, and Ria had already told her that she was going to be staying here awhile. So she wanted to acquaint herself with her new home.

“I think I will help Arlie with her map shopping,” proposed Thron.

“I’d rather you stay here, and take care of my horse or something,” said Arlie instantly refusing his offer. She didn’t want or need his presence at the guild or the library trip that would follow.

“I have something to pick up at the guild, so I will tag along. Besides, I also wanted to stop by the library and reference a few books. So maybe I can help you with your research,” said Ria.

“The help would be appreciated,” replied Arlie, and with that, the meeting was pretty much settled. Nobody had considered the problems that may arise from leaving behind a demoness with two young boys. The twins left the house first with a coin purse full of silver and copper. Just enough marks to buy what they needed and not a copper more. Arlie and Ria left a few minutes later. They had left later as Ria needed to put on a pair of shoes, and fetch her purse.


Arlie and Ria arrived at the guild to find it was reasonably busy. On their left were several boards containing magical holostones. They weren’t cheap, but the guild had a good contract with the local mage clans. Which consequently got them a good deal on the stones. They were very useful and they weren’t single-use items. A mage was needed to record or edit the information on the stone, but anyone could view the information contained on the stone. 

On the right were a couple of doors, a large counter and several maps displayed on the wall. Also on display on the counter were a few decorations including a couple of swords, and a suit of plate armor. Across from the entrance was another counter, where several adventurers were talking with the girls at the counter. That was the main counter where the guild receptionists handled things like requests.

They weren’t here to place a request, but Ria had apparently placed one before. So she wanted to take care of that first. Arlie glanced at the shop corner to the right where maps would be sold. Unfortunately, it seems that no one was there at the moment. Given the time it was a little late for the midday meal. So she figured that the shopkeeper had gone to the bathroom or something. “Yeah, guess we can go to the main counter first. I can’t do what I came to anyway, given the shopkeeper isn’t here. Out of curiosity, what did you ask for anyway?” asked Arlie.

“Pulp of Dragonspine. Someone asked for a very special potion. The kind that normally sells for a thousand gold marks a dose,” said Ria. Arlie remembering the ingredients she saw earlier asked, “It wouldn’t happen to be a gender-changing potion?” At the same moment, they entered the shortest line to the counter.

“You have a good eye. Yes, one of the local nobles wanted a daughter, but instead, they got yet another son. Problem is they have too many sons. So they offered me fifteen hundred gold marks for a gender-changing potion. I would have sold them one right away, but I was short one of the critical ingredients. So I put it in a request at the guild,” replied Ria.

“I don’t often have such valuable ingredients to work with. Not much demand for genderbending potions out in Voros,” replied Arlie as they were getting close to the counter.

“I know.  I used to live there you know,” responded Ria. Arlie gave her a confused look, and asked, “you did?”

“Yes, I did. In fact, most of your cousins lived there at one point or another in their lives. By tradition, our clan raises our children in Voros. Even if most of us only visit the place once every ten years or so. Speaking of visits, the next family gathering is in a couple of years. So you should have an opportunity to meet those cousins you haven’t met yet,” said Ria. Arlie knew her clan was an old one, but it wasn’t a large clan either. Of her cousins, she had only met three others besides Ria that she could recall.  Before she could correct her niece, someone spoke to her. Turning around she found herself face to face with the idiot that insulted her at the gate earlier today.

“I thought it was you. I realized that I failed to apologize earlier. I shouldn’t have said some of the things I did,” said Hikaru.

“No you didn’t,” said Arlie.  She actually hadn’t expected to see failed hero so soon. She hadn’t seen him when she had entered the guild building so she guessed he entered after. “So who’s this?” asked Ria from the side.

“This is Failed Hero, who decided to insult me at the gate and Failed Hero this is my niece Ria. The first insult can be forgiven out of hand since he was ignorant, but the second not so much,” said Arlie a bit of anger in her voice. Mostly from remembering the insults from earlier. She had not appreciated her chest being called fake. In fact, that little insult was the one that hurt the most.

“My name is Hikaru not Failed Hero,” complained Hikaru.

“You must have made an impression. She doesn’t often use nicknames with people, especially men. What exactly did you say to her?” asked Ria her eyes twinkling with curiosity. Hikaru looked away, not wanting to answer, but before he could think of something to change the subject Arlie answered, “He called me a little girl, and then he called my boobs fake. Not only that he called me harmless.”

Ria gave Hikaru a disappointed look, and said, “Young man you have a lot to learn about women, and I think I have the perfect solution for that.”

“Wait you aren’t going to do what I think you are?” said Arlie.

“Of course I am. Don’t worry I’m just going to use the temporary version, but it will be enough,” said Ria.

“I don’t think we need to go that far for Failed Hero. I know someone far more worthy of that particular lesson,” replied Arlie. Hikaru who had been watching the exchange completely confused about the subject finally asked, “What exactly are you two talking about?”

“She wants to change your gender,” answered Arlie. Hikaru had a stunned look for a moment, and then said, “You can do that?”

“Quite easily if you have the ingredients, and she happens to have them,” said Arlie.

“Guess the local transgender crowd would be happy about that, but I am quite happy as a man thank you very much,” responded Hikaru. The two cousins shared a look, and then asked what he meant about the transgender crowd. After a bit of clarification, Ria said, “Your former world is rather strange. I’m afraid the chief market for gender-changing potions isn’t people who think they were born the wrong gender. It’s actually nobles. A noble family only has so many roles that a son can fill, but a daughter, on the other hand, is oftentimes more useful to them. That, of course, is just one example of what the potion is used for.”

“Wait, you people will change someone's gender at birth!? That’s crazy!” exclaimed Hikaru. Arlie glanced at the counter and saw it was just now free. “I’d love to discuss things with you further, but we have some business at the counter to complete,” said Arlie, and Ria saw the counter was free as well. The receptionist was a highly efficient individual and it took only a few minutes to get what they needed. Turning back, they found that Hikaru had waited for them and the guild shopkeeper still wasn’t around.

18