Chapter 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Did you read The Star Child, book 1 in this series?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll go do that right now. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

White coats flapped wildly around the bleak chamber.  The grey walls were adorned by metal pipes, wires, and a single picture of their great and cunning leader.  The grey concrete that encased them would protect them from almost any attack, but it also kept them locked up underground, like a windowless prison more than the lab it was supposed to be.  The Doctor shot up from his table.  His back ached with the pains of labor, the pains of being subjected to his works day and night.  “Get this table cleaned up!  Organize the papers and get the beakers labeled!”  The Doctor pointed at one of his electrical engineers, a smart man who had come through on every task the Doctor had set him on.  “Grab a broom and sweep the floors now.”

The engineer furrowed his brows, “Sweep?  I have a doctorate, Herr Doctor, I would not…”

“Hans Kammler will be here tomorrow to check up on our recent progress.”  The Doctor interrupted his subordinate, “If this place isn’t in immaculate condition, I fear what he will do.”

The engineer nodded curtly and took off with the speed of a man possessed by a devil.  The Doctor needed no other words to sway his subordinates, just the name would do.

The Doctor sighed with stress.  The project had just made great leaps of progress, only after many incidents, most of which had ended with the deaths of many.  The Doctor was a scientist, not a murderer, but with his commander pushing him and his team into completion as quickly as possible. Accidents were prone to happen.

A lab assistant tripped over a chair and crashed into a table.  A large test tube fell, toppling to the ground.  The lab assistant’s eyes opened wide.  The crash of glass pulled the Doctor out of his thoughts.  He ran over to his assistant and pulled the young man up from the floor.

“Quickly, grab a broom and clean this.  If Kammler sees this, he will put a bullet between your eyes.”

The assistant nodded, fear apparent in his eyes, only to be exacerbated by the loud metal clang that rang out from the thick metal door of the laboratory.

The Doctor looked at the door and then back at his assistant.  If the young man’s eyes could open any larger, his eyeballs would be spilling out onto the floor.  “Herr Kammler shouldn’t be here till tomorrow.  No need to worry.”  The Doctor’s words calmed the assistant slightly.  The metal door rang out again.

“Go, Go!”  The Doctor shoved his assistant aside.  He straightened his coat and strode over to the door.  Sweat had started to drench his shirt collar.  He knew not who would be at this door.  The lab was nowhere near complete.  Hans Kammler would be here tomorrow, the Doctor just hoped the recent progress would be enough to dull the anger in his commander.

Another series of metal clangs range out into the morose chamber.

The Doctor walked over the guards on either side of the door.  He wasn’t expecting any visits tonight.  Maybe it was some last minute supplies for his staff.  The Doctor waved the guards on either side of the door, “Don’t just stand there.”  The soldiers looked at each other, and then back at the Doctor.  “Open the door, or you find yourselves in Die Glocke for the next test.”

The soldier on the left snapped a salute and slid the eye hole slot open.  He let out a short gasp and promptly opened the thick metal door.  The lock slid backwards, sending another clang into the lab.  The soldier snapped a salute again standing aside.

A confused look spread across the Doctor’s face. It was late in the night and he had not received word of a visitor, not until tomorrow when Kammler would be inspecting his work, but for the soldier to act the way he did, it would need to be someone of high command, but that would mean…”Oh no.”  The doctor barely got the words out when the visitor came into view.

The guest held his head high, observing the laboratory as he always did.  He pulled cap hat off and tucked it under his arm.  He nodded at the Doctor, “Herr Doctor.”

The Doctor gulped hard, “Herr Kammler.  I was not expecting you at this time.  I thought you would be here tomorrow.”  He looked out onto his laboratory.  His staff was exhausted and his tables were filthy with the byproduct of their work.

“Do I need an invitation when I want to check up on my favorite project?  I decided to visit the lab as soon as I could.”  Kammler took a few steps into the lab and picked up a wad of papers that covered a nearby table, “Maybe your laboratory would be neater had I sent word?”

The Doctor walked up to Kammler’s backside.  He hesitated to speak, “We have just made progress towards the completion of Die Glocke.  The mess is warranted with the amount of work we have made.”

Herr Kammler turned to face the Doctor.  He squinted slightly, “Is it warranted?  I doubt the Fuhrer would approve of such sloppiness.  A straight mind necessitates a clean workspace, Doctor.”  Kammler walked further into the lab, scientists saluted to him as he passed.  He waved them away back to their work.  “No, I haven’t come to debate cleanliness, Doctor, what I come for is the progress that you have made.”  He stopped and looked back at the Doctor, “It is functional, yes?”

The Doctor shook his head, “All our data agrees that he have achieved forward time travel, but we have yet to test it further until we have achieved the formula for reverse travel as well.  We believe Die Glocke can only return to the present time but never the past.”

Confusion spread across Kammler’s face, “Explain Doctor.”

The Doctor nodded, “If you spend a year in the future, you will only be able to return to a year from today’s date, which is why we have delayed further testing.  We know not when we will be able to return, and as I understand, time is limited.”

Kammler nodded, “This is why I have given you control here, you are invaluable Doctor, your decisions please the Fuhrer, but we have no need for travel to the future.”  Kammler walked into the large circular room holding Die Glocke.  The bell shaped device sat in the middle of the room.  Scientists moved around jotting notes down on clipboards.  “The Allies close in as we speak.  Many see the war lost, and this is our last hope.  The Fuhrer needs to go back in time to meet the Allies at every turn and beat them back.  Our mistakes will be corrected, and our new future will be one of dominance over all mankind.  Then Doctor, you will have the freedom, not to mention the monetary backing of our new order, to pursue whatever scientific venture you deem fit.”

The Doctor nodded slightly.  That would be his dream.  To no longer search for what others paid him too, but to seek out his own path.  “Hail Fuhrer!”  He raised his hand into the air.

Kammler copied the scientist and smiled deviously.

A loud bang came from the thick metal door once again.  Both men looked each other in the eye.

“I have not told anyone of my plans, Herr Doctor.  Are you expecting company?”  Kammler’s eyes were hard driven, burning into the Doctor’s mind.

“No, Herr Kammler, I wasn’t expecting anyone until your next scheduled visit.”

Kammler nodded and pointed to his men.  He waved his hand in a circle around his head and then pointed at the door.  His soldiers took up position around the door, tipping over tables, spreading piles of papers across the ground.

The Doctor stepped forward gasping, “My Research…”

Kammler pulled the pistol from his belt and aimed it at the door.  He met the eyes of the guard at the door and nodded.

The soldier pulled his arm up to open the door, but he froze in place.

The heavy metal bar that held the door shut started to slide open on its own.

The Doctor’s eyes opened wide.

 

Sunlight glinted off of the blade held high in the air.  Sweat clung to the clothes of those present, matting the linens to their skin.  The sun beat down on the jungle relentlessly.  The blade was brought down, cutting through the foliage with purpose.  The purpose of finding answers to age old questions.

“How do you know this is the right way?  You’re just cutting into the jungle, Sam.  Take it easy.”  The voice hit her from behind, but she continued chopping away.

The woman carrying the blade looked back at the man speaking, “I was told it was out here, Tentin, and I won’t stop until I find it.”

Tentin glanced back to his guards accompanying him and shrugged.  He looked back at Sam, “The guy at the bar?  Not sure what you’re talking about.”

Sam slashed down at some vines, “The man at the bar said to head south until I hit a waterfall.  There’s a cave behind it.”  Sam wiped the sweat from her forehead, “And that’s where I’m headed.  So you can come along or just turn back now, either way, I’m going to do this.”

Tenting gave a forced smile, “I’ll be with you.  I failed to protect Mr. Bartlett, so the least I can do is protect you.  After all, you inherited his estates, including my protection.”

“Something unexpected if you ask me.”  Sam cut through more foliage with ease.

“I don’t think so.”  Tentin cut through some of his own shrubs, “Even though he left you for a year, he still loved you.  I expected him to leave it all to you, just not so soon.”  Tentin paused and stared off into the jungle.  Mr. Bartlett was a friend to him.  He was made head of security and kept Mr. Bartlett safe on many occasions, not that he needed to.  He heard the news of Mr. Bartlett’s passing while he was in the hospital.  Scott had told Tentin on one of his visits.  It was hard news, he thought Mr. Bartlett was invincible, but standing up to an army of vampires must have been too much.  Then he heard the news of Joseph, who had died in the safe house, shot dead on the bathroom floor.  Mr. Tentin smirked.  The monster Horus was killed.  Split in half like a log by none other than Sam.  At least Horus got what he deserved.  Still, Tentin didn’t think it was enough.

“He’s not gone, Tentin, he is hiding for whatever reason.  The…”  Sam paused for a moment to think of the right word.  “Creature inside of him has kept him alive.  I know it.”  She turned to Tentin’s sweaty face.  “This cave should have the answers why.”

“Will they be the answers you want to hear though?”  Tentin leaned against a tree and raised an eyebrow.

Sam pondered on those words.  If Mr. Bartlett really was dead, then past the year she spent looking for him was a waste.  She desperately looked for any clue of his whereabouts since the night she killed Horus and destroyed his machine.  One year since the night Starr had left Earth with her parents.  She finally had a lead on Mr. Bartlett after a year, and she couldn’t pass it up.  It brought her here to Haiti, the birthplace of the beast inside Mr. Bartlett.  “If he really is gone, then I will have closure, but if he still lives, then I must find him and save him.”

Sam turned and hacked at some more underbrush.  She turned back around to Tentin.  She pointed at him with her machete, “And he is alive.  I know it.”

Tentin nodded in approval.  Sam was taking control of things quite well.  He pointed south with his own machete. “Lead the way.”

Sam smiled at him and started hacking her way through the jungle with a renewed might.  She was close, and she could feel it.  The faint sound of falling water filled the air.  A misty breeze swept through the leaves and pounded against the adventurers’ faces.  Some of Tentin’s guards cheered as the mist provided escape from the humidity.

Sam chopped through one last bunch of vines, letting out a gasp as she did so.  The green, organic drapes fell to the dirt in a clump, and behind the curtains lay a large pool of water.  A flood of the clear liquid plummeted from a cliff high above.  Rainbows sprouted all throughout the mist.  Sun poured down through the break in the canopy above the pool of water, reflecting a warm light onto the serene oasis.  The small party entered the clearing, intruding on the peaceful garden.

Tentin pointed at one of his guards, “Jack, set up camp by the pool.”

Jack nodded and scratched his thick beard, “Petyr and Rafael, start with the tents, James and I will start cooking up some grub.”  Jack gave a menacing smile as he rubbed his hands together.  “Jack be hungry.”

James unslung his pack and pulled out some cans.

“Is that what I think it is?”  Petyr dropped his tent poles and strode over to James.

“Thought it was a waste to pack all this weight, but what the hell, right?  You don’t get to drink in the jungle every day.”  James handed Petyr a beer, and then tossed one over to Rafael.

“Gracias Senor.”  Rafael walked over to the cool water and stuck his beer underneath the surface.

Jack glanced at Mr. Tentin with worry.  His men weren’t supposed to bring any alcohol on their missions.

Mr. Tentin stared hard at Jack, his eyebrows furrowed together.  He then smiled, “As long as I get one, I’m fine.”

Jack grabbed three beers from James.  He handed one to Tentin and held one out for Sam, “What do you say, boss?”

Sam shook her head, “I’ve got work to do.”  She unclasped her axe from her bag.  She swung it about a few times, “Drink one for me, will ya?”  She smiled and headed off to the waterfall on the far side of the pool.

Petyr raised his can to the other guards, “Bottoms up, comrades.”  The men all cheered and started to chug down the golden beverage.

Tentin brought his can to his mouth and stopped.  He looked at Sam walking off to the water fall.  There could be anything in that cave.  He failed to protect Mr. Bartlett, he wouldn’t fail Sam.  He jogged over to her, “Hey Sam.”

She turned and waited for Mr. Tentin to catch up.

“You want some company in there?”  His leg was still paining him from the fall he took at the GriGri.  He shifted his weight to his good leg.

Sam stood silent for a moment, “No, I have to do this alone.”

Tentin nodded in silence.  He knew how hard this must be for her.  She felt Mr. Bartlett’s loss more than anyone.  He raised his beer at her, “Hope you find what you’re looking for.”  He smiled and then chugged down his beverage.

Sam laughed, “Thanks,” She turned and started walking towards the dark hole in the cliff side wall. “And save one for me!”  She shouted behind her as she made her way into the cave.

Tentin took one last look at Sam before she disappeared into the darkness of the cave.  He turned back to his guards.  They had set up their tents and James and Petyr had started to swim in the pool.  Tentin shrugged, “What’s for dinner?”

Sam stood behind the rock-pounding waterfall.  The crashing of water drowned out all the sounds of the jungle and the men at the poolside.  She faced the dark cave with a mixture of horror and anticipation.  She wanted to find answers for all her questions, and this was the only way she knew how.

The cave entrance sprouted out thick rock spikes, ground down by the water that pummeled it in a never-ending stream.  Sam could hear some sort of breathing inside, a thick sickly breathing.  She could hear it stronger and louder by the second, until all the sound of the waterfall was drowned out; the silence, then the breath, followed by silence again.  Sam tried to shake the sound out of her head, but before she knew it, she was deep inside the darkness of the cave.  She was in the belly of the beast.

 

“Hold your fire!”  Kammler lowered his pistol.  His personal soldiers lowered their weapons as well and returned to their stiff stance.  Kammler knew of only one person with this kind of power.  If it was who he thought it was, then there might be more trouble with the Allies than he originally believed.

The soldier guarding the door still had his submachine gun raised.  Sweat was pouring from his head.  The gun was shaking in his hands as he glanced about nervously.

“Lower your weapon soldier.”  Kammler slowly ran his hand over his pistol in its holster.

The Doctor started to glance about his lab.  Kammler’s soldiers were ready to start firing if the guard didn’t do as commanded.  His staff would be in trouble from stray bullets.  They didn’t deserve this life of constant terror.  They were just scientists trying to advance the human race.

Kammler raised his pistol at the man guarding the door.  The soldier glanced at the gun pointed at him.  The door creaked open with its metallic grinding, and then finally, its clang.  The soldier quickly snapped his gun up to the door.  His life was then ended as Kammler’s pistol spat fire with deadly aim.  The bullet shot through the man’s helmet, caking blood on the nearby wall.  The loud bang penetrated deep into the concrete lab, bouncing all throughout its drab walls.  Men and woman looked up from their work, terrified at what would happen next, if they were next.

Kammler quickly holstered pistol and turned to face everyone in the chamber.  “Let this be an example to all of you.  No one is above the grade of command.  Even I answer to the Fuhrer, and I follow his orders blindly.  Not just for our good, but for the good of mankind.”

“Always teaching lessons, my dear Hans.”  A hypnotic voice came from the doorway where the soldier had just been killed.

Both Hans Kammler and the Doctor turned to face the woman who had just entered.  A woman in a white dress stood there examining the corpse of the soldier.  “It seems there is a mess to clean up.”  She looked at the nearby soldiers, raising her eyebrows, “Well?”  Her long hair twisted and turned as her head moved, stretching down her body and out of the doorway.  It looked as if the fairytale Rapunzel had just crawled out of her book and stepped through the doorway.

Hans knew better than to underestimate this woman.  “Do as she says, or she’ll force you to do it anyway.”  He nodded at the guards, who promptly began dragging the body outside.

Hans took a few steps towards the woman, carrying himself with the grace of nobility, “My dear Maria, only you could find me here.”  He held out his hand for her to take.

“I could find you anywhere, Hans.  It’s only a matter of time.” She placed her hand on his. 

Hans raised it to his mouth and kissed her hand tenderly.  “It is a pleasure, but I have some pressing matters to attend to.”   Hans Kammler pointed to the Doctor, “Herr Doctor here has made some great progress, and as you know,” Hans tucked his hands behind his back and took a few steps into the lab, “The Allies press forward on all fronts.  Without Die Glocke, the Reich will be over within the year.”

Hans sighed and let his first sign of emotion show.

Maria put her hand on Hans shoulder.  “That is what I come to talk about.  I have had a premonition about the war.”

Hans straightened up and turned to the Doctor, “Herr Doctor, if you could give us some room.”

The Doctor turned and entered his lab.  The woman seemed most familiar to him.  Maria was a familiar name, he had heard of her somewhere.  She reminded him of a story he heard from one of his colleagues, a man experimenting on brain waves and the human psych.  The Doctor’s colleague had told him of a secret sect of psychics the Fuhrer had taken special interest in.  The woman at the head was supposed to have hair grown far past that of normal women.  Her name was something Orsic.  It was Maria Orsic, and she was here in his lab.

The Doctor turned suddenly at the woman who had recently come to his lab.  She was looking at him with a sly smile.  She knew his thoughts as he conjured them, even at this moment.

Maria had known what the Doctor was thinking.  She knew what everyone in the lab was thinking, save one man.  That man was Hans Kammler.  He kept a stonewalled mind, repeating engineering calculations constantly in his fore mind, erecting barriers she would need to tear down.  She would have to dig deep into his mind to read it, but that would most likely kill the man, and Maria had grown quite fond of him.

“Dear Hans, the Allies move closer than you think, even now they are at our doorstep.”  Maria pulled Hans into the large circular room Die Glocke was placed in for lab testing.  “We must use the machine.”  She looked upon the large bell shaped machine with humble awe.  It looked so simple, it looked so plain and insignificant, but Maria knew the power the machine possessed.

Hans shook his head, “Testing has not been completed yet.  To use the machine now could be catastrophic.  We know not what will happen.”

“I know, dear Hans.  I have seen the future, and it rests on your shoulders.”  She walked closer to the man and whispered, “You must decide now, there is no more time. You know what to do Hans.”

As she finished her sentence, the earth below them shook violently.  Hanging from the ceiling, the lights flickered as they shook about.

Hans snapped his attention to the nearest guard, “Find out what is going on out there.”  The guard snapped a salute and left the chamber.

“Herr Doctor!”

The Doctor turned his attention from his lab staff to Kammler, “Herr Kammler, what is happening?  The staff is getting nervous.”

“Doctor, I need you start up Die Glocke.”  Hans face was cold as stone.  His eyes burned into the Doctor’s soul.  “The Allies are here, Doctor, and we need to keep this device from them at all costs.”  Hans gave a devious half smile, and the Doctor shuddered.

The Doctor ran into the large circular room he kept Die Glocke in.  He opened the front hatch and started to adjust several levers and nozzles.  Steam shot out from several openings on the surface of the machine.

The Doctor looked up at Hans Kammler, “How far into the future would you like to travel?”  He was terrified at what the answer was, but he was awe struck.  His machine, all his work, would finally be put to use.

Hans thought for a second.  He would need to go far into the future, far enough to escape suspicion, so he could rally enough support to travel back and finish the Fuhrer’s work.  He must go far enough to the future so he could bring back superior weapons and technology to crush the Allies.  Humans were always pushing the bounds of technology, he knew this well.  All the time he spent in the future would be lost to him here in the present.  It was a loss he would have to take.  The Allies would win now, but on his return, Hans Kammler would seek the righteous revenge he so deserved.

“Three hundred years, Herr Doctor.”

The Doctor was taken aback slightly.  Three hundred years, that was crazy.  No one sane would dare to travel that far into the future.  Who knows what it would hold, or even if the Earth would still be standing.

“Is there a problem, Doctor?”  Hans stepped forward, tilting his head slightly.

The Doctor shook his head and quickly rolled the number dials to the correct date.  He stepped out of the machine, “It is all ready to go Herr Kammler, just pull the large lever there and you’ll be off.”  The Doctor took a deep breath and wiped the sweat form his head, “God speed.”

Hans nodded to the Doctor and raised his hand, catching his guards’ attention.  They all snapped salutes simultaneously.  Hans Kammler then circled his hand in the air and pulled it down to his neck.  Hans then made a quick jerk motion across his neck.

The guards then unslung their sub-machineguns and started to fire on the lab staff without mercy.  Once finished with the scientists, the guards started to tip over tables and set machines on fire.  They burned any piece of paper they could get their hands on.

The Doctor’s mouth dropped open in horror.  He watched as the young scientist, who broke the glass beaker earlier, was gunned down trying to protect a fellow scientist.

The Doctor turned to Maria and Hans.  The woman had an eerily still smile across her face.  As she passed the Doctor, he could hear high pitched laughter deep in his mind.  She entered Die Glocke and waved for Hans to follow her. 

The Doctor reached out for Hans, “What is the meaning of this, we are just scientists.”

Hans stepped into the machine as well and raised his hand up to the lever.  His head tilted downward, his eyes gave off a devilish aura.  “It’s for the good of mankind, Doctor.”

The Doctor held his hands up to his head.  This was all crazy.  Hans Kammler was a stern and unmerciful man, but this was madness.  This wasn’t Kammler.  The Doctor looked back into Die Glocke.  Hans had his pistol raised to the Doctor’s head, but that was not what caught the Doctor’s attention.  He knew what had happened.  Maria was hugging Hans around his waist, peeking over his shoulder.  She knew exactly what the Doctor was thinking.  There was no need for words.  The Doctor shut his eyes and heard the lever inside the machine lower.  The last sound he heard was the loud bang of a gun.

Die Glocke started to rise into the air.  It started to spin faster and faster, emitting a great light.  The soldiers started to panic and run out of the chamber.  They screamed in agony as an invisible force hit them.  The soldiers didn’t make it far before their flesh started to melt where they stood.

Die Glocke then disappeared into thin air with a loud crack of ionizing air.  Soon the laboratory was still.  Not a single thing moved, and all that transpired here was forgotten.

 

“Two shots of whiskey please.”  Sam leaned back in her bar stool.  She looked around the dimly lit building.  It was small, with only a few tables here and there.  She wiped the sweat away from her forehead.  The island heat penetrated everywhere, even inside the bar.

“So, what are we looking for exactly?”  Tentin leaned forward to see Sam’s face.  He had just sent the men he brought with him to obtain supplies.  He followed Sam wherever she went.  After Mr. Bartlett had disappeared, Sam inherited everything he owned.  Tentin would follow her to the ends of the Earth now.

“Not sure.”  Sam watched the Haitian bartender pour the shots.  “The information I received has sent me here.  Now I just gotta find out what it is.”

“Hmm” Tentin leaned back and scratched his chin.  He felt sorry for the girl.  She was in love with Mr. Bartlett, but he wasn’t all that human.  She had searched for Mr. B for a year now and finally found some information, and she chased it right away.  He wished she would find what she wanted, but a large part of him hoped she would find closure and end this pursuit.  She was young and could still live a long and happy life.

The bartender slid the shots in front of the two patrons.  Sam started to lift the glass to her mouth when a figure emerged from the dark corner of the bar.  Sam lowered her glass and turned towards the man.

His hair was matted into dreadlocks and his teeth were decayed, except for the few covered with gold.  He walked with a slight limp, all the way up to the bar, and sat several chairs down from Sam.  The old wood creaked under his weight.  The man spat onto the wooden floorboards.  He turned towards Sam.  One of his eyes was milky white with a scar stretched across it.  Sam looked over at Tentin and the bartender, neither seemed to bother that the man was there.

“I know what you looking for, mah darling.”  The man smiled, washing Sam in his rancid breath.

Sam set down her glass, “How do you know what I’m looking for?”  Sam unclipped the machete at her side.

“Cuz mon, I been der.”  The dark man pulled a top hat from his head and set it down on the table.  He fiddled with the bone piercing in his nose.  “If you wish, I tell you where’t is.”

Tentin leaned forward , “You alright, Sam?”

Sam waved her hand, shushing the man.  She stood and took a few steps forward.  “Where is it?”  This was no mistake.  Sam felt fate had brought her here to this bar.

The man raised an eyebrow, “There’s a price, ya’ know.”  He nodded towards her shot of whiskey, “Your whiskey please, mah darling.”

Sam picked the shot up and set it down in front of him. He knocked it back and slowly stood from his seat, the rickety wood creaked again.  He grabbed his hat loosely with his left hand.  “There is a waterfall.  Jus south of here, mon.”  He started walking off to the dark side of the room again, “Behind it, a cave.”  He turned around and faced Sam.  “In dah cave, you will find what you seek.  Jus don get wet.”  He placed his hat on his head and smiled, his teeth turned bright white, “Tanks for dah whiskey, mon.”  He tipped his hat and disappeared back into the darkness.

Sam stood staring into the same darkness.  She wasn’t sure what she just saw, or who she just met.

“Sam?”  Tentin moved to her backside.

“Get the men, Tentin.  I found what I’m looking for here.”  She turned and jogged out of the bar.

Tentin shrugged.  He slapped down a twenty dollar bill and followed her out of the dimly lit bar.

 

Sam snapped out of her thoughts.  She was surrounded by darkness.  The cave had pulled her inside.  She had no clue how long she had been walking before she was conscious again.  She fiddled with her pockets before she pulled out her flashlight.  The darkness was everywhere.  Her thoughts flashed to the night five years ago, when she almost died by an evil spirit, back when her life was normal.

Sam flicked the light on and walked further into the cave, or at least she thought.  She had no clue where she was.  Drops of water echoed all around her.  This was the cave behind the waterfall; this was where she’d find the answers she sought for so long.

The narrow cave soon opened up into a wide room.  She stepped inside looking for a way out, but it was a dead end.  She flashed her light across the walls.  Several cave drawings lined the rocks surface.  It depicted a black, cloudy figure, jumping in and out of men.  Sam panned her flashlight further along, seeing paintings of destruction, and then other cloudy figures.  There was a blue creature, a red, and a green, all surrounding the black figure.  Sam flashed her light to the last painting.  The black figure was large, taking up most of the wall, but it was trapped inside a cave, a cave behind a waterfall.

Sam gripped her axe tightly, the talisman was dangling loosely from the bottom.

“I see you’ve met the creature firsthand.”  A strange voice came from passageway behind Sam.

She flashed her light down the stone corridor.  Just at the edge of her light she could make out a being.  He was covered in feathers and bones.  The being held a wooden staff with a skull mounted at the top.  He kept just out of reach of Sam’s flashlight.  His pale skin seemed almost translucent.

“You, you’re one of the shamans.”  Sam recognized the being from a picture in Mr. Bartlett’s office.  “One that let out the creature, I’d bet.”

The figure nodded, “A bet you’d win.  Dead for a century, but kept here by regret of my actions.”  The ghastly white being pointed with his staff at the large painting of the black creature.  “We knew not what we released, but by the time it was free, we realized it was too late.”  The figure looked down in despair, “And the Agent of the Institute shall forever pay the price for our ignorance.”

“Mr. Bartlett.” Sam inched forward, “Is he alive?” She wanted to get closer to the being, but as she did, the being seamlessly moved further beyond her reach, always at the edge of her light.

The being nodded, his face transfixed with endless sadness.

Sam felt a burst of joy.  Mr. Bartlett was alive, which means she could help him, but the answers from the being had brought out more questions in her.  Why had Mr. Bartlett not sought her out after all this time?  Was he in control or was it the creature the whole time?  Could she even save the man trapped inside by the beast?

“Can he be saved?”  Was the question Sam finally landed on.  All other questions would just hinder her with worry.  She only cared about saving the man, and she needed to know if she could.

“Yes, and by you only.  You are special in an interesting way, child.  You may redeem our wrongs once and for all.”  A shimmer of hope sparkled in the Shaman’s long dead eyes.

Sam’s brow furrowed together, “What do you mean special?”  This spirit only brought her more questions, instead of the answers she wanted.

“I have no more time on the world.  If you seek answers to the creature, you must travel to the ancient Crypts of Italia.  Deep under the earth you will find the one that preys off of man for all eternity.  It will answer you, but be wary.  You may not like what you find.”  The being started to dissipate into thin air.

Sam rushed forward to stop him.  This wasn’t what she wanted.  She hoped to find closure, maybe a solution to her problem, but all she found was more rope at the end of the line.  Sam reached her hand out to grab the being before he disappeared completely.  She felt her hand soon soaked in the rushing water falling from high above her.

Sam now faced the waterfall outside the cave.  She turned to enter the cave again, but the gape in the rock face was now solid.  She patted down the wall.  It was cold and rigid.  Sam sighed and turned around. She leaned against the rock and slumped to the floor.  She had hoped for more, but she at least knew where to head next.  She would fly to Italy and find the Crypts the being had told her about.  Which crypts they were was well beyond her.

Sam pushed herself up with her axe and started walking around the large pool.  All she needed was more tales to chase around.

Tentin was sitting by the bank, reading a book about superheroes and zombies.  Jack was cooking food with Rafael.  Sam looked into the pool where she saw James and Petyr swimming in the cool water.

Tentin looked up at the woman, quickly setting down his book, “That was fast.  You find what you’re looking for?”

Sam shrugged and tilted her head to the side, “Somewhat.  Looks like we’re headed to Italy.”

Tentin’s eyebrow shot up, “Italy, huh.”  He shook his head slightly, “I got an ex-wife in Italy.  If she sees me with you… let’s just say we’d be better off fighting off an army of hell spawn.”

Sam chuckled a little.  She looked into the cool water, seeing her reflection in the ripples made her want to take a dip as well.  She could use a nice cool down from her thoughts.  It was a long journey with little results.

A thought started to creep into her mind above all else.  Something the mysterious man at the bar said.  ‘Just don’t get wet.’  Sam looked back into the pool.  Petyr and James were wrestling each other in the water, but something else all-together caught her eye.

Bubbles started popping on the surface of the water.  A large shadow moved swiftly under the swimming men.  The bubbles began surfacing at an extreme rate.

“Get out of the water!” Sam shouted over the crash of the water fall.  She quickly reached down to her axe.

Mr. Tentin glanced down at the water and his eyes opened wide.  He quickly pulled a pistol from his belt and aimed it at the pool.

The two men, in the water, looked at each other with confusion.  James raised an eyebrow, “What do you think…”  The man was instantly sucked under the water, his sentence cut short.

Petyr looked around frantically.  He swam from side to side.  “James!” he shouted in his thick Russian accent.

“Get out of the water!” Sam shouted again, only this time she was backed up by Tentin, Rafael, and Jack.  All men had their guns raised and ready to fire.

Petyr swam as hard as he could to the edge of the pool, his arms splashing water high into the air.  His breaths were heavy from carrying his thickly muscled body to the edge of the pool.

As soon as he cleared the shadow beneath him, the men opened fire into the water.  Water splattered as their bullets crashed through the surface and pierced deep below.  Tentin fired the whole clip of his pistol in a matter of seconds.  Rafael held his automatic rifle to his shoulder, his finger held tight on the trigger.  Bullet casings flew into the air, spat out of the gun in rapid succession before falling to the ground like second hand litter.  Jack pumped his shotgun time after time, spraying buckshot at the water.

Their guns soon became quiet, no longer spewing their fire of conversation.  All four of the people on the shore line stared into the water.  The water’s surface became calm.

Petyr joined his comrades, water dripping from his half-naked body and an automatic rifle clenched tightly in his hands.  Something had just dragged James down into the water.  There’s no way James could hold his breath this long.  Petyr’s mouth pulled tight, his neck flexed tightly, and his eyebrows pushed together.  He was angry and wanted vengeance.

Something stirred beneath the water and the object soon penetrated the surface.  The onlookers saw the body of James.  Petyr looked away.  Sam examined the floating man.  His eyes were gnawed out of his skull.  She could see into the man’s open mouth, his teeth were missing as well.

Tentin took a step closer.  He couldn’t see any bite marks along the corpse.  “Nothing bit him.  How could he be dragged down?”

Rafael let out a gasp and took a few steps backwards, “Ahuízotl is here.”  The Hispanic man quickly fumbled to reload his weapon.

Jack followed his lead and started slamming shotgun shells into his gun.

“What’s Ahuizialtol?”  Sam readied her axe, glancing back at her guard as she butchered the foreign word.  She started to get nervous.  Sweat was starting to bead down her face, all of their faces, and it wasn’t from the humidity.

“The One of the deep.”  The Hispanic man reloaded his gun, “You have to be careful of its…”

A large burst of water shot from the pool, catching the party unaware.  A large mass of thick hair brushed against Sam, slicing her forearm.  The creature’s hair was matted down with mud and grime, creating thick hairy spikes across its body.

Tentin was knocked backwards, falling down onto the rocky surface of the pool’s edge.

Rafael’s eyes widened as he looked into the beast’s eyes.  The beast of legend was staring right back at him.  The beast took one step towards him.  Its front paws were shaped in the way of human hands, the creature’s thumbs wrapping around the rocky surface of the pool.  It snarled at the man.  Razor sharp teeth shown through its dog like face.

Sam ripped off the bottom of her shirt, exposing her mid-drift.  She quickly wrapped her arm with the makeshift bandage to stop the bleeding.  She stood and raised her axe up over her head to swing.  The talisman hanging from the axe’s hilt swayed with her motions.  She didn’t care if it was a legendary creature, she would kill it regardless.

Sam went to chop down on the creature’s hind side.  It was as big as a car, so aiming wasn’t a priority.  The axe cut through the air with ease.  Sam gave a quick smirk.  The fight would be over too quickly, and that was never any fun.

She gasped as her axe stopped mid motion.  She glanced upwards, looking at the tail of the legendary beast.  At the end of its long slender appendage was a hand, just like a humans’.  The large hand grasped the head of her fire axe.  The strength of the tail was tremendous.

Sam fought to pull the axe free, but the beast’s tail had it gripped tightly, and with one flick, the axe flew from Sam’s hands.  It twirled through the air and lodged itself into a nearby tree.

Mr. Tentin fired a few shots at the beast’s side while it snarled at Rafael.  The bullets blasted off chunks of matted fur, but they failed to penetrate any deeper.  Mr. Tentin shouted out over the beast’s growls, “It’s bulletproof!”  He reloaded his gun with another clip.  If they couldn’t find a way to kill it, they would all be dead soon.

Jack blasted his shotgun again at the beast, the buck shot just ricocheted off of the thick fur.  He turned to the sound of a whoosh in the air.  The tail of the beast was swinging towards him with incredible speed.  Jack held up his gun to block the blow.  The tail burst through the gun and hit him hard in the chest, sending him tumbling to the ground.

The legendary beast leapt at the dazed Rafael.  He couldn’t believe the beast was real.  He had seen many others, but this was a story his grandmother told him to keep him from swimming alone.  Now it was no longer a story, and it was about to eat the man.  He shut his eyes.  His muscles weren’t fast enough to move him.  He froze on the spot, accepting his demise.  The shout of his Russian comrade quickly brought him out of his haze. 

The thick brute jumped in front of the monster.  He swung his gun upwards, bashing the beast in the chin, stopping its lunge at the Hispanic man.  “Cyka, you will pay for what you did to James!”  His watery body glistened in the sun as the half-naked man faced down the beast.

The creature swiftly brought one of its hands up, swiping the gun away from Petyr before he could react.  It then barked, spittle flying out at the man, and it lashed out with its razor sharp teeth.

Petyr screamed a battle cry and brought his bulky hands up in response.  He grabbed onto the jaws of the beast, the scalpel like teeth started tearing into his meaty hands.  Petyr’s hands soon became soaked in blood, his eyeballs bulged and his face turned bright red as he fought against the beast with all his strength.

Mr. Tentin shot more rounds into the same spot on the beast’s side.  He finally made headway as he blew enough of the fur away to expose some flesh.  Blood squirted from the small wound as a few shots hit home, but it wasn’t enough to stop the beast.  Its tail flipped about and punched Tentin in the chest, forcing him to the ground with a rough cough.

Sam glanced at her axe stuck in the tree.  It was too far away to save Petyr with.  She would need another way to kill the beast.  She saw Rafael still standing dumbfounded with the large rifle.  She then looked at the muscular Russian holding the beast back with his bare hands, its mouth still held agape.

Sam sprinted up to Rafael, blood still dripping from her makeshift bandage.  She grabbed the weapon from the man and shoved him back. “You’re useless to me if you can’t fight.”  She snapped at him and ran up to Petyr.

The creature’s eyes scanned her quickly, but there was nothing it could do now, it was to hell-bent on snagging Petyr as a snack.

Sam brought the rifle up into its mouth and she pulled the trigger.  Fire spewed from the barrel as the gun blasted lead into the creature’s body.  Blood started to pump from the creature’s mouth and it reeled back in pain, knocking Petyr to the ground.

The legendary beast fell backwards, toppling into the natural pool.  It landed in a blast of water, splashing all the survivors with the clear liquid.

Sam watched as the dog like beast started to sink back into the depths it emerged from.  She wiped the water from her face and turned to Mr. Tentin.  She held out her hand and helped him to his feet, “You okay?”

Jack brushed the dirt off his shirt and went to check on Rafael.

Tentin gave a quick nod, “Yeah, but Petyr needs medical attention.”  He rubbed his chest casually. They both turned to the Russian laying on the ground panting.  His hands were shredded and covered in blood.

“There’s first aid in my pack.”  She started to jog over to her backpack, “We’ll wrap him up until we can get him to a hospital.”  She started rummaging through her backpack when a high pitched, mechanical jingle filled the silent air of the battle sight.

Sam reached into the bottom pouch and pulled out her satellite phone.  She answered the phone and was instantly greeted by a well know voice.

“Sam! Finally I got ahold of you.  I need your help now.”

“Eddie, hold up.  I’m in Haiti right now, what’s so urgent.”  Sam pushed her hair behind her ear.  Eddie sounded frantic, something could be wrong with him.  He was one of her only friends, if he needed help, then Italy would have to wait.

“It’s Breaburn.  He’s been killing the Institute.”  There was a short pause, “I can’t say anymore over the phone.”

His words hit Sam hard. Mr. Breaburn was more scum than man.  She needed to stop him. “I’ll be there Ed, just hold tight.”

0