Chapter 2: The GriGri
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sam rubbed her eyes.  Fatigue had set in after her flight back from the island nation.  She hadn’t received the information she wanted on her trip, but she got a new lead.  After she took care of business at the Fall GriGri, she had to meet up with Eddie to find out what was going on at the Institute.  His voice was filled with despair.  Whatever it was, it wasn’t good.

Breaburn was up to something.  She didn’t trust the man, especially after the mission he sent Sam and the others on over a year ago.  Nothing seemed right during the briefing.  Everything was too vague.  There was something out of place there, and she wanted to find out.

Sam blinked away the spots in her vision.  The restaurant was in sight now.  It loomed over the buildings nearby, although, some of its majestic outlook was lost during the day.  Without the lights scaling up the side of the building and illuminating the gargoyles, the building looked less elegant than it truly was.

Jack drove the limousine up the arched driveway and towards the building.  He passed the lush gardens and the fountain of cherubs spewing water high into the sky.  The entrance had been rebuilt after the garbage truck had turned it into rubble and unloaded a truck full of mutants into the restaurant.

“It’s good to be back.”  Tentin looked the building over and sighed.  He was head of security, but instead of sitting in the monitor room, he decided to take a more hands on approach.  He was now personally body guarding Sam.  He had also stepped up security at the restaurant.  There were more guards than ever before.

 

Sam had insisted the guards of the restaurant be used to a higher purpose.  She had Tentin use their intelligence operations to gather up any potentially threatening objects.  Tentin agreed, although he thought Sam’s idea had turned the restaurant into another Institute, or at least something similar.  She assured him that they wouldn’t be helping people directly, but by getting anything they could off the streets, they would ensure the safety of everyone on the planet.

Tentin couldn’t help but think if Starr had anything to do with this.  The girl had caused quite the commotion on Earth.  She didn’t mean to of course, but a being of her power was too great to be left in anyone’s hands.  Horus had proved that.

“And here we are.”  Jack pulled the limo to a stop.  “If you would, exit your right, tip your driver on the way out, and have a wonderful day.”  He turned and smiled at his passengers.

Neither Tentin or Sam moved.

Jack shrugged, “Well it was worth a shot.”

Sam grabbed her duffle bag containing her axe, like she always had, “Jack, could you check on Petyr at the hospital?”

Jack nodded, “Will do, boss.”

Sam squinted at him, “Don’t call me that.”

Jack nodded again and shuddered.  Sam was one woman he didn’t want to piss off, especially after her performance at the waterfall pool.  She killed the beast without breaking a sweat.

Tentin waited for Sam to leave before he scooted up to the limo’s inside window.  He leaned in close to the man and whispered, “I’d be careful if I were you.  I once saw her cut the privates off of a troll.  Just one swiped and…” Tentin chopped the air with his hand, “Ssst, clean off.”  Tentin patted the man on the shoulder and started to leave the limo.

Jack gulped hard, “You’re joking, right?”

“Am I?” Tentin smiled and left the limo.

 

The red silk coattails flapped in the wind, light reflecting off of the gold embroidery lining the sherwani.  The man stood in the entrance of the restaurant, waiting for Sam’s return.  His arms were tucked behind his back in the traditional manner he held himself in, his back straight and his face expressionless.

He saw Sam leave the limo outside and head for the entrance.  He slowly moved his hand from his back and pushed the door open as she got closer.  He saw the woman smile and he gave a slight bow.

“Mr. Scott, it’s good to see you.”  Sam closed the gap between the two.

Mr. Scott looked up at her arm covered in a bandage, “You run into trouble on your trip?”  He tilted his head slightly.

“Nothing we couldn’t handle.”  Sam looked back at Mr. Tentin.  “We lost James, and Petyr is in the hospital.”  Sam turned back to Mr. Scott as Tentin joined her, “Rafael has left for home.  He had a bit of a scare.”

“I see.” Mr. Scott nodded.  “I guess it was wise of Mr. Tentin to bring a guard detail then.”  Scott had not thought the trip would be trouble for the woman, but fate had proved otherwise.

Scott held the door open for the pair of travelers and stepped aside, holding his hand out to lead the way, “If you would please.”  The trio entered the newly constructed lobby.

Polished leather couches and sofas lined the room.  Several natural wood tables filled out the rest of the lobby, followed by the reception desk by the new double doors leading into the restaurant.

“Good news first,” Scott stopped before the doors, “I have replaced the old doors with something a little more…familiar.”  He stepped aside, allowing the golden, double doors to gleam in all their glory.

Sam scoffed a bit.  She knew the doors well.  Scott must have taken them as a memento, although, as she looked upon the gold doors adorned with ancient Egyptian gods, she thought of Mr. Bartlett’s last moments.  Sam looked away suddenly, trying to get him off her mind.

Mr. Scott spoke up quickly, “And the grand reopening will be set for tonight.”  He walked over to the heavy doors and pushed them open with ease.

Sam gazed out on the restaurant again.  The staff raced back and forth, setting and polishing silverware and crystal.  Large crystal chandeliers were once again hung from the ceiling.  A live band lifted up on a platform in the middle of the room was practicing for their opening night.  Bullet holes were patched and carpets were replaced.  The restaurant looked good as new.

“That is good news, Mr. Scott, but you said good news first.  So…”  Sam looked around for something out of the usual.

Mr. Scott looked high up into the corner of the ceiling, “You have uninvited guests in your office.”  He looked back down to Sam, “I tried to get them to leave, but they are most determined to meet you.”

Mr. Tentin stepped in, “Are they dangerous?”

“Yes, very.”  Mr. Scott turned from Tentin to Sam, “But Sam will be able to handle them herself.  At least I hope so.”  He gave a mischievous smile.

 

The elevator was almost at Sam’s office.  Tentin went to check on his security staff, while Mr. Scott had returned to matters of business.  Sam was left alone to face down whatever dangerous guests had been lurking about her office.

She unzipped her duffle bag and pulled her axe out.  She flicked the talisman that hung from its hilt.  The strange mist still emitted from the age old object.  Sam had never really questioned the talisman, it had saved her many times, and she just felt more at ease with it hanging there.

The elevator dinged and Sam readied herself.  She kept the axe close to her and she dropped the duffle bag.  The doors opened and Sam gasped.

“Saaaaaaaaaaaaam!”  An older lady waved her hands in the air and ran over to the elevator.

“Mom?”  Sam’s eyebrows furrowed together.  This really was the most dangerous guest.

 

Do you like your mom?
  • Yes, she's an angel. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SHE CAN BURN IN HELL Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0