Chapter 2 – Turns out heroes are actually amazing, who’d have guessed?
1.3k 13 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“B-beg your pardon?” After staying still for a few seconds, I could only stutter this broken reply out, I mean, what is wrong with those people!? Do I look like someone that can kill a Wyvern!?

“Are there any issues?” Thalia asked as if it wasn’t the most obvious thing in the world, what part of this job is not an issue?!

It took me a moment to realize my body was shaking from… Astonishment? I’m not sure, I just know Iris had a really worried expression on her face… Then, she suddenly turned towards the receptionist and started talking before I could say anything, “I’m sorry, it seems like there was an issue in communication. Aria is certainly specialized in fire magic, but her level of skill is not nearly high enough to take on this kind of task. Isn’t there anything more suitable for inexperienced applicants?” W-way to go Iris! Thank you for that, I wouldn’t be able to talk this calmly in this situation…

Thalia heaved a large sigh before putting her fingers on her forehead, “You… Didn’t really do any research before applying to join the guild, did you?” Wait… Am I the one in the wrong here? I’m not sure I get it… Let me see…

“I… Heard some rumors? I mean, there were tales of mighty heroes that downed dragons and defeated ancient evils all by themselves, but those are just exaggerations aren’t they? I figured this was just a place similar to a group of mercenaries, but that took jobs that were aimed primarily at helping people, it felt like a good place to join.” I explained, she had a mixture of trouble and annoyance in her face.

“You’re correct in saying that we’re picky with the jobs that we allow the registered heroes to take, but this is no mercenary group. There is a big difference between mercenaries with a good reputation and heroes.” She paused for a moment and looked me in the eye before continuing. “Heroes have tales sung about them, and their feats cross over the seas and reach the farthest corners of the material plane and sometimes even the immaterial ones.

“We aren’t just the ‘good guys’, we’re the best good guys out there. We bring hope to the people in the brinks of despair when nobody else could save them. And now you’re telling me you’re a complete amateur that applied because you thought it was ‘a nice place’?” Her tone was quite harsh, but… I can’t simply let this slip by quietly!

“Now wait a second! If you hold such high standards, why do you let anyone join as long as they pay a fee to you? Couldn’t there be a test or something to make sure the person is qualified!?” I mean, it makes no sense they want only the best, but don’t bother with ensuring the quality of their own candidates! This is ridiculous! I want a refund!

Thalia replied with an obviously annoyed tone, “Because if you bother to ask anyone anywhere in the city, they’ll kindly inform what kind of place this is, or if you took half a second to ponder that having so many ‘exaggerated’ rumors coming from one place probably means that there is some truth behind them…” She then made a small pause before continuing, “Also, it isn’t very wise to hold a test of prowess involving people that can easily kill wyverns right in the middle of the capital. Not to mention the people that work here have better things to do than test applicants.”

Well, that’s a fair point… “I see, then I guess I’ll have to join some other organization… Could I get my registration money back?” I asked her.

“Absolutely not.” What!? What’s up with that!? I don’t have much left on me, I need it! “Do you think those parchment sheets are cheap? And let’s not get into ink prices as well, there is no way I can give you back the money after I already used up the materials for your registration.” It’s that expensive!? And Iris wonders why I don’t want anything to do with reading… I don’t want to hold a gold mine in my hands!

“Th-then isn’t there any job that was requested of the guild and denied because nobody tried picking it up? There ought to be something… I can’t really survive long with the money I have on me…” I pleaded.

Thalia seemed about to tell me off, but she seemed to hold back at the last moment before sighing out loud, “It’s a hero’s job to help out those in need, I suppose. I’ll see what I can find for you, try coming back tomorrow, and I might have something. Nothing in the board will probably be fit for you at the moment, but feel free to take a look at it, your familiar can read it for you I believe?” Iris nodded in response. “Alright then, this will conclude our business for today, have a nice stay in the city and make sure to inform yourself properly before you join future organizations.” She said that with a smile, but her tone of voice was definitely not kind… That one stung.

I begrudgingly thanked her and ended up leaving the place for now, I could try checking the board, but I decided to just trust what she said instead… Besides, with how little money I have left, I’ll probably need to strike a good bargain to get a place to sleep. Better make use of the time left in the day to do that.

“… I told you weren’t hero material.” Iris started once we left the guild’s door.

“You told me you didn’t think it was a good environment for me, and you said nothing about their tales of heroism being the real deal!” I shouted. Why is she being this annoying now?

“Same thing! And how was I supposed to know that!? You’re the one that live in this plane, not me!” She retorted. Her words hurt… Right… She doesn’t live here after all…

Suddenly I wasn’t angry anymore and could only pout in response, “But you spent a long time here with me already…”

Iris took a deep breath, she looked sad, “I know… Sorry, I shouldn’t have talked to you like that, this whole situation just surprised me…” She then flew to the top of my head and gently caressed my hair… This soothed me a bit.

“We both were…” I too took a deep breath before lifting my head. I wonder when I started looking down, “So, I guess we got to find a cheap place to stay the night?” I said while trying to shift the topic away.

“Preferably a hot one!” She exclaimed. Iris caught my drift, I’m glad.

I giggled, “Wouldn’t those be near hot springs or something? I don’t think we can afford those.”

“True, but maybe it’s just a place that doesn’t get much wind and ends up way hotter than the outside?” She said in a teasing tone.

“As if I’d want to sleep in a place like that!

“Though it might actually be cheaper when compared to the others, so it might be a good place…” I wasn’t exactly dejected, but the prospect wasn’t very appealing.

Iris laughed before replying, “See, I always have the best ideas!”

I laughed too, “As if!”

Following that, we continued exchanging some chit chat as we explored the city.

After looking around for a bit, it seemed like the northern district had the least impressive buildings, so it was probably the part most poor people lived in… Fitting, considering the southern is the rich one. Since we’re tight on money, that’s the area we went to.

It was… A lot better than my hometown to say the least? No buildings looked like they would crumble if they took some heavy rain, nor were there any easy to spot holes that would leak lots of water from, seems like even the poor people in the capital live better than those in the countryside. Either that, or they hid the truly poor people from us.

After a few unsuccessful attempts of getting a cheap room at an inn, I started considering sleeping in the plains outside… I’d prefer to not do that, but what’s up with the prices here? 3 of this country’s coins for a night and one meal!? That’s robbery in broad daylight!

It was already late afternoon when we stumbled into yet another one of those inns, I was pretty tired already and just wanted to give up, but Iris said that there was a lot of water mana in the air right now, so there were high chances of raining tonight… And I’d definitely not want to have her sleep outside in a rainy day. So we decided to search for a while longer.

As soon as I opened the door, I was greeted by a strong heat wave, “Aaaah, this feels nice…” said Iris… Yeah, nice for you, I’m going to be sweating all night long if we stay here.

We stepped inside and were greeted with a warm voice that came from a woman that seemed on her thrties, “Welcome! What can I help you with?” While the inn was relatively small, it did have a decent amount of windows and was primarily made of wood, so I wonder how come it is this hot…

I moved closer while looking around… The place was fairly empty, though maybe it was only crowded late at night, “Excuse me, I’d like a room to stay the night in and one meal tomorrow morning.” I told her while already expecting another reply out of my price range.

She said with a business smile, “That will be 2 small copper coins.” Oh, a cheaper place, that’s nice… Still more than what money I have on me right now…

“Could you make it for 1 coin instead…?” I asked.

“No.” Why don’t they even pretend to consider it…? It’s not that little, is it?

“Then uhn… Maybe I could pay half of it now and half tomorrow…?” I pleaded with some hope.

“Oh yes, of course you can” Thank gods! “No.” Huh…? Oh, I see, she was mocking me… That was unnecessary.

“That’s troublesome… Can’t I do anything to lower that price? I really need a place to stay the night in…” I asked a bit pitifully.

“If you could magically fix this gods forbidden heat, I’d gladly let you freely stay here for a whole week.” She said a mocking tone… Too bad for her though, because…

“I’ll gladly take you up on that offer!”

46