21. Heights of Power Part 2
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The church and the nobility aren’t stupid. They should know that even if Semjaza is dead, the Empire still has deep, hidden military might. They have been building their nation for the past ten millennia alongside the Federation. Their level of development has always astonished past generations of nobles. In order to figure out how far they’ve come, 29 weeks cannot be long enough.

The church’s decision affects production as well.

The city of Tritol produces alchemical potions. Baron Liri had wanted to expand production so he could really profit from this war. Haste potions, flight potions, strength potions, all of it would have been bought by the church and the other noble families. Liri’s administration will not be able to focus on expanding production during the invasion itself. Liri looks across the city skyline through his windows.

Also, what about the supplies and weaponry that the other cities produce? A declaration of war will result in backlash from labor unions. It will result in an anti-war movement. How could the church not think of all this?

The Baron wanted the extra time to crush these little commoner rebellions that might pop up. But, now he’ll have to work much faster and more frantically. Deidri continues with a serious expression.

“The reason the church gave was that the demon empire has not lost all of its power even with Semjaza dead. Apparently, one of the battles took place near Empire territory. Their cities were described a bit by the nobles who participated in the battle, and they became alarmed. If we try to invade them even a year later, the church says that they could upgrade their defenses even further. But, if we attack them soon, while they’re mourning the death of the devil, we could catch them in their anger.”

“Hmmm. Right, I suppose demons are more likely to make mistakes if they’re enraged. It is a bit idealistic, but that’s the church narrative, I suppose. I’ll have to weed out the annoyances much faster, you know?”

Militant labor unions would never have formed if he had been ruler of Tritol for the past few decades. But he only ascended to the position recently. His father had let these problems fester and then run off. The militant beastkin-run labor unions and the heretic cults of Savitarius and Panaphon will get in his way. An anti war movement led by them could result in less forces joining their volunteer army.

They could never bring back conscription. If they don’t end up with a commoner revolt, they would still have to deal with aggrieved traitors in the military.

Liri would have to enact and enforce new labor laws to crack down on the unions faster than planned. He had always wanted a slow rollout of laws that would tighten around the populace. The commoners would be nothing but an animal in a slowly boiling pot.

If the water boils too fast, the animal will try to struggle…

This is a waste of time. No point worrying about all that.

The Baron moves on from such thoughts to more productive ones.

Traitors in the military… that could be…

Liri figures out something he can do immediately.

“Alright, the first thing I need to do is focus on the Empire while the window remains. It might still be possible to create sympathizers within their ranks. They should see the writing on the wall now that the devil is gone.”

If the average demon would rather live than remain loyal, the Baron’s army can profit. Information, internal sabotage, winning hearts and minds, fomenting rebellion…

The church has always wished to fight an extermination campaign against the demon race. However, Liri knows that the nobility aren't all true believers in the cause. A war of extermination will result in far too many casualties on the human side as well. There’s a high risk that the demons will poison the land if their end seems inevitable.

Where would Liri’s prize be then?

Sending traitors in the Empire to a hidden land as payment is fine for his purposes. Then after the war, their side only needs to enforce prisoner-of-war slavery upon the remaining demons. If they can’t get humanity to hold off on extermination, it would be a problem. But, Liri could just kill the ones who helped him after their victory was complete.

The Baron is not one to break his promises during a business relationship. But, they are just demons after all. There is no need to consider principles in front of cattle.

“I’ll start talks with the espionage squad, brother.”

“Thank you, Deidri.”

“But, brother, there is still something important that you should know.”

“Hm?” Liri sees the look on Deidri’s face. He can be mischievous at times. If he were anyone else but his own brother, Liri would have cut off his tongue long ago.

“Well, I’m sure you’ve guessed, but Semjaza has truly died.”

“Yes, it’s plain as day to everyone in the Federation by now. What about it?”

“Did you know that… the Dragon knights have been wiped out as well? With… no casualties to our heroes?” Deidri signs the number zero with his right hand.

“...None of our nobles died? And all of the dragon knights.” Liri’s hands tremble while holding the envelope that he was about to open. Deidri had skirted the issue, so Liri automatically assumed a less than ideal outcome. The letter would fill in the details on all the casualties. Liri calms his breathing down.

“Ahem… Just their riders? Or just the dragons? Or…!”

“Both. Both! Every single pair of dragon and rider has been killed by Osva. His strength was truly magnificent apparently. The Dragon Riders were trying to protect Semjaza from him during their battle, so the heroes only had to provide backline support to obstruct them. In the end, they weren’t even needed.”

“...That’s incredible! Amazing!”

With this, some of the Baron’s fears have evaporated. If the dragon knights have died then the dragon race is an endangered species within the Empire. Semjaza can no longer control them through divinity and her superior use of violence. They would have no loyalty to the Empire anymore. Rather than face the Federation as well, they could just… fly somewhere else.

Anywhere else!

Their numbers are also a fraction of what they once were. Even the Empire would not be able to convince them to fight. Unless the surviving dragons wish to perish as well. Liri considers as many of the ramifications as he can. He finally looks directly at Deidri. He rushes up to him and kisses him on the forehead.

“That’s amazing. That’s amazing, Deidri!”

“Brother, calm down!” Deidri frantically tries to push his affectionate sibling away.

“I-I know that victory isn’t assured yet, the rate of development of the average demon citizen is still unknown, b-but still we have a much greater advantage! Especially if none of our heroes have died facing Semjaza.”

*Sigh*. I get it, Liri, I get it. So… What’s next then, after we call out the espionage squads?”

“It’s like you can read my mind, little brother… let’s declare war immediately.”

Deidri smiles. The war against the Empire is not a secret. To anyone. The demons knew that humanity would come for them as soon as Semjaza was declared dead. The nobles and church knew the obliteration of the Empire was the obvious outcome as well. Even the commoners expected some kind of large-scale change as soon as Semjaza attacked Osva.

“Within six days, I will confirm to the commoners that there will be war. Of course, I doubt that they will be needed as more than cannon fodder or suicide squads, but if we use them right we could greatly reduce the time required to colonize the Empire. Maybe with this, I can become a Viscount…!! Well, that’s just me thinking too far ahead.”

“It’s alright, brother, I know what we can gain.”

“Thank you, Deidri. What a good messenger you were! The perfect person to deliver this news.”

Deidri smiles tiredly. He soon leaves his brother’s office, located on the penthouse, the hundredth floor of their family home. This city is about to experience a struggle.

1