26. Kiara’s Investigations 1
6k 12 159
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mom. Is everything really alright?" Kiara asked, as they prepared for lunch. It's been a day since she arrived at the manor, and they would finally meet him for lunch.

Erenia nodded, this time she tried her best to look unfazed. "Yes, the Count's finally free today. Let me choose what you wear." 

"Mom." Kiara wanted to protest when she looked in the mirror, but Lady Erenia chose the most modest clothing available for her. That meant a long, slightly baggy dress, and a very traditional Victorian-style ruffle blouse that has fallen out of style. "This looks ugly."

"It's modest and humble." Erenia answered. "You're meeting a powerful Count." 

"Mom! Are you afraid of him?" Kiara asked, and she briefly saw her mother freeze. At that point, she knew her mom was afraid of the Count. Which she was, in a way. Her addiction to sex was something she could not admit to her daughter. Despite the deal with Edmund, she wanted to maintain the semblance of a good mother, and a good wife. She hoped to still be seen as a 'good' example, even if the circumstances made that impossible. 

For Kiara, her father's reputation was in tatters, but luckily, her mom's reputation was still unsullied so far. All she heard from the barkeeps and the drunkards was that her mother was saved by the Count's men. 

For nobles like her, reputation mattered a lot, and other ladies of the Court would immediately destroy her if her family's reputation was crap. Now, she couldn't imagine meeting her fellow noble peers, the things they would say to her, when they didn't even have their own home.

They'd probably laugh at her. 

It tormented her greatly to see how her family had fallen, and she couldn't let her mother fall and bring their family down too.

She had to protect her mother's reputation, and for that, she needed a measure of the man.

Lunch was held in a formal dining room, a room mainly used to receive guests of similar stature and class. The dining room has a long dining table, decorated with local flowers, and the Count sat on one side, Kiara and Erenia at the other.

Food was good, Kiara had to admit it easily beat the shit they ate while traveling. The things she had to put up with during her travels were quite bad.

"So, how is the hero? Did he make a move on you during the travels together?"

Kiara flushed at how suddenly the Count attacked.

Lady Erenia naturally stepped in to defend her daughter. "The hero is blessed by the goddesses, and is definitely a good, honest and loyal person at heart. He definitely is not like some lecherous old men."

Count Edmund had an epiphany then. Lady Erenia had a point, the goddesses imposed what they thought was their 'ideal' man on the hero. A man who is sweet, nice, loving, focused on getting his work done, successful, loyal, romantic and with sufficient space and a lot of trust.

All what the goddesses want in a man, but not always what the ladies with mortal needs actually want. Sometimes, the ladies want a man with some edges and flaws.

"Ah that is true. What a waste, though. A beauty like you right on his lap and he did nothing. If I were him, you'd be pregnant by now." Edmund laughed heartily, and Kiara's face was as red as a tomato. The lady Erenia gave Edmund a really fierce look, and Kiara noticed it as she looked at her mother for support.

"Some old men should watch their words." Erenia said.

"My apologies, my dear Erenia." Count Edmund said with a smile. Kiara felt her skin tingle from how he referred to her mother. Something was definitely happening behind the scenes. "Let's chat on more mundane things, such raunchy topics are best had accompanied with some good whiskey. A butler then served the Count a few shots of Natarian Firebreath Whiskey.

"So, the succession ceremony." Edmund said. "Where do you want it? Our initial plan has been to have it here, but your daughter has different views?"

Erenia then said, "Yes. My daughter has a point that it should be held on Kenarias territory. It reflects badly on the family if we cannot even do it on our land."

Count Edmund frowned. "That involves a very high financial outlay to secure the town, and the amount of escorts needed to ensure the safety of the visiting lords. It's hardly without precedent, many heads of families have been promoted in exile."

"But what kind of house we would be, if we did so? The other nobles will consider us to be a failure. It's a failure!" Kiara blurted out.

Erenia stared at the sudden outburst from her daughter. 

Edmund just sighed. "That is true. It is a huge financial outlay and a commitment of manpower that the Kenarias family currently does not have. We would also need to restore a segment of the ancestral manor, for it to be fit for a ceremony. Even if we started tomorrow, it will take at least a month."

"Then wait a month!" Kiara said.

Erenia immediately said, "my dear, I know you want what's best for the house, and for our reputation. But we are relying on Count Edmund's funds and forces. We hardly have any loyalists left after the revolt."

"How much does it cost anyway?" Kiara asked, her tone was harsh.

Edmund snapped a finger, and two aides came in. They brought in a board, and they quickly calculated the repairs, manpower and supply costs.

"Your excellencies, based on this, it would cost about 174,000 gold. Holding it in the Natarian province would cost 12,000 due to the savings on manpower, logistics, accommodations for the military and the repair of the manors."

Kiara's eyes popped at the humongous sum. Erenia sighed, and turned to her daughter. "That is a huge debt to owe to the Count. Let's discuss this on our own, alright?"

Kiara nodded but her eyes were watery.

 

Author note : alright that's it for this week's update. I'll be back in maybe 2 weeks

 

 

 

 

159