[Vol 1] Chapter 62
2.6k 11 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Concluding this version of the story before I start releasing my rewrite version next month (FAQ in my profile page). Thank you everyone who stuck with this novel. Of course it’s not very perfect, but I hope this little ‘epilogue’ gives some closure to a half-finished narrative. This is a two-parter. Three-parter? 

 

A boy was cooped up in a dark, cold room. Silently tapping away on a console, playing his favorite game in virtual reality. There, he was at peace.

There, he was alone.

And then, he made a wish to the gods.

Turned dissonant. 

Distorted. Like the many wishes he’d made that bent the lives of others around him.

He arrived in a whole new world. New sights and sounds that were almost magical.

Fraught with danger, hostilities forcing him to adapt.

There, he went through many tribulations over a short period of time.

But there, he too, finally found friends. And his purpose of living.

A girl with pointy wolf ears now stood by his side.


White awoke with a start.

He’d clearly felt the presence of someone who’d been here not too long ago. On the coffee table, was the familiar leather-covered journal he was looking for.

He flipped to the latest entry on a whim, and paused momentarily.

There was a note with awkwardly written characters in his home language.

Good luck.

White’s mouth opened slightly, as if words were at the tip of his tongue.

“...You're... amazing, Lyndel.”


He continued on his way to the Ambercott Estate.

Passing by Yunosu Diner. The weapons shop, the town square, back to the beginning inn.

An indescribable feeling filled White's body. Even now, his mind was seething with silent rage, yet a a small moment of melancholy managed to slow his steps down.

From the windows, Evie was cleaning the tables off of booze. Always diligent and passionate about her work as she continues bantering with her grizzled father.

Mary was buying a new cross, a strange sister who’d seem too close to him whenever he came to visit. Her piousness to the Goddesses had always come off as unnatural to him. 

And there was Rebecca, silently gazing up at the encroaching Moonhalo. He’d never found the true meaning to her words. But in a sense, she felt all too similar to Ruru. Like a bird in a cage.

The women White had met these few months.

Finally, he stopped before gold-trimmed gates.

He had reached where he wanted to be.

The mansion ahead of him had no lights on from the outside.

...White closed his eyes, and activated his 'senses' at full force.

"...Nothing."

It was strangely unguarded for such a big mansion.

There were no guards. 

No sounds.

Nothing. Had they all gone to sleep?

Better.

Taking in a deep, cold breath, White bent forward in a sprinting posture with his bare hands... and sliced through the gates enough for him to get in. He took a detour to the back of the mansion after a few minutes, and found a way to repel his way up on a balcony with a rope.

The mansion was quiet.

White took his time with his steps, careful not to make a sound.

He scanned the room safely and checked his current whereabouts.

This seemed to be a guest room of sorts. It was lavishly decorated with gold and red aesthetics, with couches around a coffee table and a chess set on top of it. White kept his perception to the highest as he scanned the outside of the room before he exited it. 

He was now in a dark alleyway, illuminated lightly by the night sky outside.

The estate was bigger than he expected, but first he thought of where the bastard would be at a time like this.

Perhaps Vincent was still out there partying in the midst of the Moonhalo celebrations. Or maybe he’s taking his time with his misdemeanors again till the late of night.

Either way, he would return to his chambers in the end. And there, he would...

He would... ...

This smell...

He wouldn't mistake it.

Blood. The trail of blood scent heightened his caution, as he crept towards the source through one side of the corridor.

He had passed by no one all the while, making his expression turn stiffer in high alert.

Eventually, the trail stopped before a large set of doors.

He too, stopped in place, checking his gear before he entered

 

—But as if they had life of its own, the doors opened anyway.

Creeaak. It widened ominously.

And what filled his sights, made his eyes widen with an inexplicable expression on his face.

All eyes turned to his arrival.

Before him was what seemed to be a dining room. Seated in the banquet table were three individuals, all whom he was acquainted to, or familiar with to a varying degree.

Vincent, Heinesia...

And...

...Was his eyes deceiving him? Or was it... all along... he was... ...

"Welcome, Shigaraki White. You're slightly tardy, yes?" The man at the head seat smiled widely. Dressed in a familiar tailored black suit and a monocle, he continued to speak amidst the eerie silence.

"No matter, it's understandable to want to tie loose ends to this city before the ultimatum. After all, this is the last card you have in play." 

 

...Miledy’s auction. I hear it's going to be a competitive one too!

...various influential people are also participating tonight! Ah speak of the devil!

He’s a famous gem collector, looks like he can’t wait as well.

 

"...It's you."

At that short affirmation of his identity, the man laughed lowly, revealing a crescent smile.

"Indeed. Well, well, we finally meet. Cardinal's Apostle."

As he spoke in grandeur, the man whom White had recalled as dead, spread his arms wide as if receiving an honored guest.

"My name is Amos. The Fifth Seat of the Demon King's floor guardians."

Amos' eyes flickered, as his once green eyes had now gained a tint of red.

"—Also known as, the Spirit of Wrath."

22