[Vol 1] Chapter 28
9.2k 10 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My nose picked up the faint smell of incense as I regained my bearings.

 It came with the realization that I was probably back at the vestry in the church even with my eyes closed. The smell of incense was accompanied with something sweet, however. A floral fragrance of soap scented with lemongrass—It spurred something in my memories, but only for a brief moment before my thoughts had finally relaxed.

That was because even the pillow behind the back of my head was incredibly soft. I didn’t feel like waking up because it felt so comfortable. And somehow, it felt like this pillow had warmth to it. How peculiar. Was this some kind of new magic appliance used by rich people? 

Sinking into a blissful embrace of the softness of this pudgy cushion, I steadily regained my vision once the distortion of space had settled down.

I opened my eyes, and a beat later, had the shock of my life.

“Welcome back.”

I was greeted by another pair of eyes looking down at me, bright buttermilk yellow irises belonging to a woman I'd just met not long ago.

Mary...-san!

It took me a few more seconds to realize what I was lying on.

(...A...A...A lap pillow?!)

I recognized this woman who had a rosary hanging around her neck. 

“E-Excuse meee?!”

I quickly shot myself up from where I had been lying on. But I had greatly misjudged the distance between us, “Mmph!” I ended up pressing my nose against the crevice in between her chest when I lifted the upper half of my body.

"Auun~" I heard a seductive moan, and my body instantly froze. Mary frowns wryly, as if looking at a helpless little boy.

"Mou, it's not good to move around while you're still lightheaded,” Mary guided my head back to her lap, and brushed my hair to one side. 

Wh-What is this feeling... I-I'm being p-pampered by a church sister?

I felt a incredible amount of shame lying down like this, yet I didn't try to get up on my own.

And at such a close proximity, I could see Mary’s features more clearly. Her slightly-parted rosebud lips were coated with a thin layer of gloss, carrying themselves through each breathing motion. Somehow, under this strange atmosphere, my heart started to beat uncontrollably.

“—Fufu, it seems like this is your first time after all.”

(F-First time?!)

“Your body is probably adjusting to the spatial distortion it experienced not too long ago.”

(A-Ah… that’s what she meant.) I sighed.

“So don’t worry about me. Please relax for a bit longer until you’ve fully recovered okay, White-sama?” Mary smiled gently at me.

“I-I can’t do that!” I cried out with a slightly red face while turning my face away from her fingers streaking against my hair.

“Why not?” She paused her stroking movement, and asked with her head tilted.

“Are you not feeling comfortable on my lap?” 

“N-No, it’s not uncomfortable at all! I-In fact, it’s great! It feels incredible! It’s soft like m-m-marshmallows…”

“Marash-mellow?” Mary tilted her head to the side. I realized that I had misspoken in my fluster of words.

“Ah wait, what am I saying! Th-The thing is… don’t you feel...u-uhm, embarrassed? W-We’re not even close… so...” 

“What, embarrassed?” Mary chuckled while covering her mouth with her left hand.

“Isn’t White-sama the one that is embarrassed?” 

She patted my head like a mother would, with tender eyes that looked at me with care. There was not a sign of lust nor motives behind her gaze. Somehow, I felt ashamed that I was the only one treating this as a big deal.

I thought that perhaps it would be best if I didn’t think of anything strange for now and just relinquished myself to the goodwill of this sister.

“...” 

When Mary saw that I had fallen silent, her eyes seemed to smile even more. 

“Don’t think of anything unnecessary. This is just treatment, okay?” Mary stroked my forehead again, and it definitely felt a little cooler than before. 

(That’s right. This is just treatment. Treatment. Treatment…)

I closed my eyes and endured the spine-tingling caresses on my head while reciting the same word in my mind over and over again. I was simply being overly-conscious. 

In any case, I needed to distract myself with something else in the meantime, so I took the time to look at the [Skill Tree] window that I had just unlocked.

 

—The [Skill Tree] interface was exactly identical like in the game. There were six initial skills I was able to learn as a [Fighter], branching out as hexagons that would unlock each outer ring when you advanced your class.

Most of these skills were Passive types, so they would influence me on a more permanent level. Remembering what Shinri had taught me before, I decided to get used to the changes a little bit at a time so I wouldn’t be overwhelmed by them. After all, I wasn't using a virtual body in the game any more. Skills had very big implications in reality. That is how Ascendants can become strong enough to defeat monsters.

I placed one point on the passive skill「Heavy Arms」which increased my ability to handle weight. 

Another on「HP Boost」which increased my maximum HP by 100 because it was cost effective, 「Footwork」which made my legs more agile than before while increasing my Dexterity by 3. 

The only passive which I spent two points on was 「Bulk Stamina」, because the first level gave an instant 101 extra Stamina points, effectively doubling my current amount. I had gotten a little too excited and raised the level a second time, forgetting that subsequent levels only increased it by 1 stamina point.

But it didn't matter, I was bound to max out this passive anyway. After all, Stamina points were essential for how my class worked.

That’s right, in place of MP, Fighters used stamina as a resource instead so it was quite an important stat. More importantly, it wouldn’t change my body as drastically as how「Footwork」or「Heavy Arms」would. I had considered raising「HP Boost」for the same reason as health values weren’t something that I needed to adjust to, but I figured that it would be best to reserve the remaining SP in case of an emergency.

A Fighter as a base class however does have two active skills.

「Momentum」and「Pulse Strike」. I invested single points to them as well to learn them. When I got used to how they worked, I would decide if I wanted to raise its skill level in the future. But for now, I was satisfied with my status. 

When I closed the skill interface, I saw Mary looking down at me again. 

I lifted my body up slowly, being careful not to lunge in headfirst into her breasts again. 

“...Thank you. ...For that.” I said while scratching the back of my head meekly.

“You’re welcome. Though… my legs are a little sore.” Mary laughed sheepishly as she patted her thighs lightly. 

“S-Sorry…”

“Don’t be. I didn’t intend to blame you, just that it would be inconvenient for me to leave with you right now. Do you mind returning on your own, White-sama? The exit is to the right of the entrance. So...”

I nodded. I couldn’t think of troubling such a kind person like Mary again.

“Yeah, I think I remember the way.”

Mary smiled at me, and bowed lightly. I waved both of my hands in a fluster, gesturing that it was fine.

“I hope you work hard under the guidance of Ennieus-sama, and continue to grow with the class you have obtained.” 

“I will.”

“Then, our acquaintance today ends here. I hope to see you again, White-sama.” 

 

Receiving her well wishes, I closed the door to the vestry and left by tracing my steps back through the passageway. Eventually I got to the wide area where the entrance was. Before I left through the exit Mary had told me about, I didn’t forget to take my belongings back from the cubicle. 

The clothes seemed to be ironed out, and it seemed like they were cleaner than when I had last left it here. 

(...Huh.)

It looks brand new.

I left the church finally after putting them on. Looking up at the sky, I realized that it was already close to evening. The queue had generally dispersed by now. 

“Should I grab something to eat first…?”

Just when I was muttering my plans for the rest of the day, something caught my attention at the corner of my eye. 

A light blue particle, levitating in the air behind the church. 

Immediately, I thought of a single possibility. 

Spirits. My first encounter with a spirit had happened so quickly.

My eyes widened, and I found myself moving towards that translucent glow of light in the air. I was soon led to the backyard of the church where some tombstones were erected.

There was no mistake. Spirits were drawn to dead people, so this light must definitely be one!

The spirit drifted slowly so I was able to catch up with it. 

When I tried to grab it, I found myself grasping at air. It really seems that they are completely intangible. 

What do I do now?

The spirit didn’t seem to be moving. Wasn’t it supposed to be guiding me to the fragments? 

So what did this mean?

There were no fragments around?

“…”

I watched the spirit for a few more minutes, before eventually giving up. 

There wasn’t going to be anything interesting happening... Looks like I've gotten my expectations up over nothing...

Well, no use brooding over it. I knew that my gift wasn't going to be so resourceful anyway. It was a long-term investment, so I wasn't too dismayed for finding no value on the same day that I received the Gift.

I left the church finally and came to the city square. I sat down on a bench near the water fountain in the center, and laid back silently while trying to look around for another one of those spirits.

"...Haah, it's not going to be easy, is it." I muttered to myself despondently.

Perhaps I should just head back for today?

Yeah. Tomorrow will be a big day when I visit the guild again.

When I stood up and was about to head towards the dorms, by chance, I saw it again.

“Another spirit…”

Was it the same one? It didn’t seem like it. This one was pale yellow in color. I was surprised at how I could see it so clearly at this distance. Could I now perceive spirits more clearly because of my Gift? And was there a reason why their colors differ from each other? What do the colors represent? 

In any case, I realized that this spirit was indeed a little bit different from the first one. 

It seemed to be moving, so I followed suit in order not to lose sight of it.

Following a carriage ahead, where there was a scene of commotion accompanying it. The sound of clattering hooves roused my mind. The horses appear to be carrying a giant metal cage.

When it came close enough for me to see it, my face stiffened.

Wait. This is...!

—About a dozen humans lied weakly within the cage, and the surrounding citizens were raising noises and reaching out their hands to touch them, much to the ire of the few who were guarding the cage. The carriage eventually stopped because of an argument.

There were angry shouts, and even some rude whistles mixed in them, but those voices were drowned out in my mind.

Slaves. I thought.

And they were all females. This was probably not a coincidence. Most likely they were those, weren’t they? Slaves used for... 

I shook my head to prevent those disturbing thoughts from surfacing. Honestly speaking, I still haven’t gotten over the fact that the practice of slave trading was legalized in this country. 

People who had fallen into debt, or committed a crime had no complaints if they were to fall into a life of slavery. But from my own philosophies and beliefs cultivated from a first-world country in my previous life, I felt that this was an inhumane act. Everyone deserves their own freedom and deserved better. 

...Or maybe I was just being too idealistic again. 

I didn’t really know the circumstances that turned them into slaves. For all I know, these women were heinous murderers. They had ruined other people’s lives, and had merely received just punishment for their crimes. 

Despite that, I felt conflicted about them.

Their physical states were at their worst, but that did not stop the men from ogling at their half-naked bodies. The women in the cage didn’t seem to react, and I knew that these were the characteristics of someone who had already given up all hope. The flies that resulted from the unsanitary condition of the cage were all sticking closely to them, but they did not even move to brush them away. 

—But at the back of the bunch, I realized that one of them was slightly different than the others. Because there was a pair of wolf ears on top of her head. Something about her, gave me a tugging sense of Déjà vu, but I couldn’t recall where I had seen her before… until our eyes happened to meet.

And then they widened greatly, as did mine.

I couldn’t believe it.

It was her.

“...That girl.”

 

The demihuman girl who had disappeared after I had saved her in the burrows of the Horned Rabbits.

Had she been captured again? Her condition didn’t seem to have improved from when I last saw her, which was a month ago. Her complexion was probably just a little better, so I was able to recognize her.

The spirit which I had first taken notice of, had then landed right on top of her head. When the carriage started to move again, I saw the demihuman slave speak. From the words she was forming with her lips, I gradually realized what she was saying.

“Sa..ve. Me.” 

She said with an expression as if she was about to tear up.

Just from that alone, I knew I had to save her.

My body reacted unconsciously to that plea for help, and I found myself chasing after the carriage with all my strength.

110