Chapter 4
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before the empty-bellied woman there was an empty-bellied girl. And before the empty-bellied girl there was a plump little girl with intact shoes on her feet, a nice big house, and loving parents to chase away her nightmares and wipe away her tears.

And the plump little girl was named Tejara.

Her family wasn’t noble but they were as big, as rich, as powerful as any noble and they fell all the harder for it.

Tejara’s father was a shrewd businessman. Greedy too. He had money, he commanded respect, but he itched to have his name in the history books. He got what he wanted.

He was a shrewd businessman but a terrible politician. He dipped his fingers into the plots behind the throne and exhausted a lot of his fortune in the hopes that the prince he backed would have one of his younger sons take Tejara as his wife. He dreamed her three syllable name would become a true noble’s name.

But his chosen master threw him out as a scapegoat and labeled him with the red mark of treason.

In the span of only a few hours, Tejara’s big home and happy family disappeared into smoke and ashes. Countless servants gave their lives to ensure she would escape.

There were many times Tejara thought it would have been better if she died but if she did would those deaths not be in vain? And so she kept living despite the starvation, for food, for love, for respect. She clung to life until, finally, she came to this point....

“You’re a woman?!” Mei’nin’sa’s eyes went wide in shock then narrowed again in anger, “That Val’lin’r was beating up a woman! Why I-” Mei’nin’sa shoved her sleeves up to her elbows, which looked quite ridiculous with her oversized, decorative sleeves that refused to stay properly.

The maid rushed to Mei’nin’sa’s side, “Don’t be angry, Lady MeiMei! Young Master Val’lin’r probably didn’t know!”

Mei’nin’sa pouted and huffed angrily, “I know but still.”

Tejara ignored the two of them and finished stripping off her clothes and got in the tub. Despite the steam rising from the bath, Tejara still braced herself for a chill.

“Nai, go get some of my perfumed soaps.” Mei’nin’sa said, after calming down abruptly. She picked up the washcloth and knelt down next to the tub. She reached for Tejara’s face. At first, Tejara flinched away but Mei’nin’sa gently and patiently wiped away the sweat, dirt, and blood on Tejara’s face. “Women shouldn’t suffer like this.” Mei’nin’sa whispered.

Tejara stared back at her, water dripping into her open eyes. She might have laughed if she remembered how to.

0