Ch. 58 – Jokes of the system
2k 9 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I just lost a large chunk of my hp there. A stray fireball just exploded right under me, blasting me a couple meters away. Did I just nearly get killed by my pet cat playing around? An anger rose within me, not the kind where you want to kill something, but the one where you want to punish a misbehaving kid.

I didn’t do that consciously, my mana acted up on it’s own creating a huge cloud swirling above Felicia’s head flowing slowly in a gentle pattern. Well, the pattern was gentle, but what happened after wasn’t at all. I think the mana forming lasted for only a fraction of a second, but suddenly it all turned into water.

She couldn’t predict it, nor could she escape, and the huge ball of water splashed right onto her. I think I might have looked a bit smug there. She had a betrayed look on her face while the water was dripping from her but I didn’t regret it at all, she was being naughty and got punished.

Wait a second…

This was my doing? It was definitely my mana that turned into water, just the control of it felt like it wasn’t done by me. I was unable to create a wind before, so why should I be able to make a water ball a couple minutes later? Maybe my mana responded to my desire to punish the catkin, but then why didn’t it respond earlier when I tried a normal spell?

Don’t tell me that this big entity controlling the universe is making fun of me. There was the system making fun of me before, so I don’t need something even bigger to do it too. Just let me use a magic like a normal person, just let me get normal skills without calling everything I do a simple luck.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Humorless lvl. 3] ]

I swear if I ever find whoever person or thing that operates this system, I will have a word with them.

[System support cancelled. Resetting personal data…]

Wait! Wait! WAIT!!!! I WAS JUST JOKING! THIS IS THE BEST SYSTEM EVER!

[Cancelled. Thank you for your patronage.]

Was it my imagination or…?

Maybe it will be for the best to stop messing with the system, it will be for the best if I don’t angry the mana itself too. I think I will need to become a bit more submissive if I want to keep my head.

But that really makes me wonder, is the system a person? Surely it could be just some sort of an artificial intelligence, but if that thing just now wasn’t my imagination and I really was about to get kicked out of it, then maybe there really was someone watching over the world apart from gods.

Or maybe it’s just the sunny using the system to spy on me and through some sort of a console he sends me messages to make even more fun out of me. Another creepy stalker I guess.

What is this burning smell?

I sniffed the air, but it certainly wasn’t my imagination, and I really smelt something burning. It was weird thing to smell in this rocky area, but I was sure that something was burning. Why is my abdomen so hot anyway?

I jumped into the puddle of water I created earlier by splashing Felicia, and started rolling in it to make sure to get rid of the fire. Turns out the Felicia’s fireballs aren’t things you can take just like that. I suddenly felt the urge to splash even more water on her, but she’s gotten a bit wary of me and her title could get activated granting her immunity to all bathing synonyms so I gave up the idea.  

So, going by the fact that I created a freaking water ball out of nowhere, maybe I actually can use magic? But how can I make it so it doesn’t become a mana stone every time? Surely there is a trick to it. I have to remember clearly, what have I done to achieve that result?

The way I manipulated mana was perfectly identical to what I had done before, but there must have been something else to it, since result was different. Maybe the intent I sent was different? But before I clearly said I wanted wind to appear, so maybe it was me being unable to conjure this particular element?

I had to test it first, so I started working on a water ball spell, and surely enough after a second there was another mana stone laying on the ground, this time blueish in color. It was no different from the air element, so me being unable to conjure it because of the lack of an affinity wasn’t a viable answer. Still there must be something I’m overlooking.

What does my internal library say about water? It’s built from what!? Wow, I had no idea everything was made of little particles. But that is something I might be able to use, since it describes the exact process to create water, I just need to mis these hydrogen and oxygen atoms together, and apparently mana might be able to do that.

I released my mana and started guiding the invisible particles I needed separating them from air in a single point, and then forcefully pushing them together. I have to say it was clearly different from sending an intention to mana itself, and much harder than just guiding mana into shape, but it was still possible.

[Conditions fulfilled. Changing title [Fool] into [Complete fool] ]

Huh?

Suddenly an explosion occurred at the point I was pushing atoms together. It has blown me away quite a distance, but fortunately I didn’t receive much damage. I was dumbfounded for a couple of seconds, but then my internal library enlightened me about using incorrect proportions of different atoms to synthesize water.

Thanks for doing that after, not before I managed to blow myself away. Oh, there is also a warning about not trying to split the atoms, but for some reason there isn’t anything about what happens when you do it. It’s actually a first for me, being unable to find an answer for a scientific question in there. Maybe I can just assume it would explode like it just now? I have a bad feeling that messing with atoms always ends up like that.

58