Ch. 88.5 – Massacre
1.2k 13 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Law of death”

I head this loud and clearly, and yet it sounded like an eldritch language that was never supposed to be spoken by mere mortals. Immediately following that, the space around the spider hybrid started to break. A black fog started to seep from cracks that were floating in air, and slowly started to envelop the battlefield.

“ ” Crap that’s bad “ ”

Somebody right next to me mirrored my words. When I looked at the person, I saw a hooded guy, looking exactly like the one that talked to me about devil earlier, rather, it was the same guy. What he was doing here, I had no idea, but if he reacted like that, then the situation was quite dire.

Or rather… Where are the shovels, I don’t want to die without a proper grave.

Jokes aside, this fog was bad news, a few soldiers who were unlucky to touch it instantly collapsed having their soul ripped out of their bodies, and all tries of blowing the fog away with wind spells were rendered useless.

Surprisingly the fog affected only humans, as the plants around and small critters were fine inside it. I’ve never heard of a spell like that, but from what it looked like it could only be one that let the caster decide the fate of life itself, there was no defense for it. Some people tried to escape, but the fog was faster, creating an encirclement around us.

Even though it could take our lives instantly, it decided to toy with us and slowly fill the area. I wanted to see if my students were okay, but being in the epicenter of the spell, I doubted any of them remained alive.

The catkin in my arms would probably be okay if she was hit by the fog, but I couldn’t be sure, so I still casted a barrier around her. I didn’t cast one for myself, because the efficiency would fall, and I lived long enough, so I poured all of my power to shield this kid from death.

Now what, do I just sit and wait for death? I don’t see any other option. Should I say, the expedition went as expected? Somewhere inside I hoped we wouldn’t be obliterated like that, but we went against the queen, a literal divine beast. Even though it’s not her who in the end killed us all, this wouldn’t have happened if we only stayed in our city.

Cursed human greed, my only comfort was that the caped guy who told me not to interfere would die here with me… Where the hell did he go? Ehh, that sucks. I guess he was a coward. Wait, what was that sound? Why did the barrier I put on the girl shatter?

“Want one?”

Was it her? Did she break my most powerful barrier without putting any effort in it just to offer me a candy? I really hoped she knew what she was doing, but judging by her composure, she must know that she has nothing to be afraid of anything.

“Might as well take it, thank you.”

I pat her on the head as I take the candy. It was a pretty standard one, but the taste was better than I remembered. Maybe it was because it was my last one? Ahh, I’m getting sentimental, now that death is right at my doorstep.

This fog sure is taking its time to kill me, everyone in the expedition was killed already, and yet the fog made no effort to reach me at all. It almost looked like it was avoiding the place where I stood, but that maybe was because of the girl. I was still pretty sure it would reach me in some time if the spell wasn’t cancelled.

And sure enough, a couple minutes later, the fog was only a centimeter away from my feet, I was almost tempted to step in it already. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and a second later… two seconds later… three seconds… Oh come on already! I really stepped in the fog myself.

Ehh?

Why didn’t I die? Everyone human who touched the fog died, so how is it possible that I’m still alive? Don’t tell me it’s because I’m not actually human… The fear I had through my hundreds of years long life turned out to be true huh? I was actually thankful for that right now, but I cringed at my earlier reaction at the fog.

If only I knew earlier that it was harmless for me… MY STUDENTS! I remembered suddenly that they were still in the center of the fog and I rushed to them with all my power. I passed the fog without dying, and saw the spider standing still, looking at a dome made out of bright light.

I breathed with relief, no normal spell could stop the mysterious fog, but it looked like the weapon made out of albino spider was strong enough counter for it. I wasn’t actually sure how it worked, but it looked like Arthur saved himself and his classmates by holding his sword in the air.

Almost saved himself, as the spider girl was charging another spell already.

A massive amount of mana, enough to pierce the world itself gathered in her arms, if that got out of control, most of this forest would evaporate in the explosion, and if she managed to complete her spell, the very existence of my students would disappear.

I didn’t wait, I quickly jumped between them.

“Don’t kill them, they were only following orders!”

I got a reaction, not the one I expected, but the girl was visibly confused when she saw me. The massive amount of mana she gathered disappeared, and she swept over the battlefield with her sight, probably wondering how it was possible that I didn’t die.

“The council of our city had them kill the queen, and there was a caped guy that told me not to stop them!”

Now that was a reaction I expected. As soon as I mentioned that weird guy, the spider girl turned her eyes to me. She still send an energy blast at the barrier protecting my students, but even though it shattered and knocked Arthur out, the power wasn’t enough to kill any of them, so it was a good sign.

31