Ch. 96 – First step into civilization
947 7 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hmm I haven’t seen you here before, are you new?”

The old man asked with a slight confusion in his voice. He was probably someone important judging by the amount of strength he has, so there should be no way he would have to identify himself any time he wanted to use teleportation room, and because we teleported using his skill, there was no way he wasn’t a frequent here. That guy probably just got the job and because of that, never saw the old man before.

“That’s right, because there was an expedition sent to the dark forest, the elite guards from this place were recruited and now I’m a part of the unit currently replacing them. Now show me your papers before I call other guards.”

Wow, what a rude fellow. I wanted to tie him up and leave on the ceiling, but because of how half dead he looked when he saw the old man’s ID, I decided to only glue him to the ground with thread so he would fall as soon as he tried to move. Too bad my little trap failed because he collapsed on the spot a couple of seconds later. Now I was really curious about the old man’s position here if he could bring someone to that state just by identifying himself.

“He’ll probably be fine, let’s enter the city and worry about him later.”

Said the old man and then proceeded to lead us out of the teleportation room. It turned out it was situated I something like a bunker inside a cave and the cave’s exit was right next to the city’s barrier. The barrier was there to probably to guard against monsters unaffected by the territorial defense the system set on the human cities, but it was more likely that it served as a shield against other human nations.

I mean these guys can find almost any reason to start a war as viable, so they need something to defend them against themselves. Even my internal library has information on at least five major wars that happened in recent years, and reasons for them stroke me as almost funny. I mean these guys attacked another city because one of their spies got put in prison for stealing national secrets. The old men on the top here were certainly a bit wrong in the heads, but that didn’t really matter since I already had them in my sight as potential prey.

Speaking of the barrier… why do these things have to be invisible… For some reason ever since I evolved, my sense of pain has returned to the upper half of my body and skills didn’t really work on reducing it anymore, so hitting my head again and again because of either me losing balance or this freaking thing became pretty annoying. That’s why I got pissed when I suddenly collided with this stupid barrier… nobody will blame me right? I mean how could I know that it would collapse from a single kick…

Oh, the old man looks angry, let’s just pretend I don’t know what happened. LOOK, there are food stalls! The owners looked pretty terrified, but when I showed them gold coins I got from these traders I got Felicia from their demeanor suddenly changed and they showered me with meat skewers. I wasn’t going to complain though, all that meat for a price of some useless metal, this was probably the best deal one could get!

Well, I know that money has its uses, but apart from getting food they all seem a bit bland. You can buy a house with it, but my web is much more comfy to make one with, you can pay taxes with it, but I can just kill those tax collectors and problems would be solved, you can also make people work for you, but again just showing some power has the exact same effect, so in the end, easy and tasty food is the best thing you can spend money on.

After that, with multiple skewers in my hands and some in Felicia’s we went in the direction of a large building complex that was situated near the entrance I accidentally made. I have to say, now that I see the city it’s kind of unreal. I mean until now it was just a general fantasy setting, with dungeons, monsters, magic and etc. with occasional guns breaking it, but now it’s full blown… science fiction?

I’m not sure how to call all these awfully futuristic looking skyscrapers bundled together in not that big space and multi layered roads full of hovering vehicles, but it surely wasn’t even close to the plain good fantasy. If I had to note one thing, there was a severe lack of anything military looking apart from a couple weapon shops selling swords, wands and armor which again, looked quite surreal when placed in these buildings made almost entirely of glass and steel.

I’m sure gods had something to do with this, there’s no way humans wouldn’t pursue military might even if they weren’t surrounded by monsters. If I remember correctly, there was a catastrophe they caused that almost ended up all of the world’s life, so this technological disproportion is probably a result of a restriction placed upon them. If I had to guess, they had the right to pursue all technological advancements apart from those rooted in the military and those like a suspiciously free energy.

Well, given the fact that the magic is wide spread now and the system gives power to everyone that kills a little, if more guys like the old man appeared, the world would be doomed anyway. It’s really a good thing I didn’t met anyone like him, or I would have to go back to the dungeon to level up again.

26