Ch. 1 – Start of the struggle
12.7k 33 193
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                It was dark when I woke up, but somehow I could see everything clearly, almost too clearly. I started looking around for clues where I was, but after couple of seconds I realized I didn’t even know who I was. Well, I am me so no reason to worry about that just yet, more importantly I needed to find out about the situation I found myself in. I was in some sort of small room filled with vials and books, and in front of me lied a skeleton. I stared at it intensely and something appeared above it.

[Human skeleton]

I was bewildered, I didn’t know what it was that showed me description of it, but I was able to determine what I was looking at. I wonder what human is, maybe I am also a human? I tried to look at myself, but I couldn’t move my sight to look at my body so I lifted my front limbs to see them. They didn’t look like those of the skeleton, more like thin, white and long spikes. Also, I certainly had more limbs than the creature before me, about eight I think. I started to wonder, if the convenient thing that appeared above skeleton would appear if I intensely though about myself, and was surprised when it actually did.

[Small inferior albino Tarantula (Young)]
[Lvl: 1/10]
[Status:]
{
HP: 15; MP: 3;
Strenght: 21;
Intelligence: 21;
Agility: 21;
Vitality: 21;
Defensive ability: 10;
Offensive ability: 10;
}
[Skills:]
{ [Appraisal] [Weak poison lvl. 1] [Inferior spider web lvl. 1] [Night vision lvl. 3] }

Wow, they really could spare the inferior word, it didn’t make me comfortable. I had no idea if what I could see was natural, but I kind of had a hunch that it wasn’t. More importantly, I was getting hungry, so I looked around to see if I could find anything edible, but it didn’t go well. Since I couldn’t find anything inside the room, I decided to search outside. When I went through the door (don’t ask me who destroyed them) I saw a lot of green, literally. I was in the forest, a very thick one at that. That said, I didn’t have time to admire the nature, since something was looking at me, and this something was a giant scary bird.

[Giant crow lvl. 9]
[Appraisal failed]

I didn’t need appraisal to see that this thing was dangerous, and before it decided to eat me, I started to sprint in opposite direction. I was not courageous enough to look behind me as I was running but I could hear the sound of bird’s wings so I guess it actually wanted to eat me. I started to run out of breath not long after I started running, this was awful, I was actually going to be eaten without even having my first meal, not to mention the last one.

Then it happened, an even bigger shadow slipped right next to me and I heard agonizing screech coming from the crow. Collecting all of my mental strength I managed to look behind me to see what happened.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Fear resistance lvl. 1] ]

A snake was strangling the bird, a snake was coiled around a crow that was tens of times bigger than me. I didn’t know I had that much strength left, I didn’t even know I could run that fast, but I didn’t dare to stop. My ten minutes of life were flashing before my eyes, and I kept running, ignoring the fact that I was not getting enough oxygen. I was pretty sure my hp actually decreased but I didn’t have the time to check.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Surpass limits lvl. 1] ]

It wasn’t until I climbed quite sizable hill that I could actually turn back to see if I was tailed. It was probably the worst decision of my short life, because what I saw, were giant jaws that were about to swallow me. I’m dead I though, but somehow the snake disappeared from my sight. I searched for it in fear, not having the strength to run anymore and I actually found it. About a hundred meters in the air, struggling to get out of claws belonging to a dragon even bigger than him.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Fear resistance lvl. 2] ]
[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Faint resistance lvl. 1] ]

I collapsed on the spot. For now I was saved, but what was with that extremely dangerous place. How I was going to survive here, I was so hungry and I couldn’t even search for food because of constantly running away from these terrifying creatures. Oh, I found something.

[Doom rabbit lvl. 32]

Is that a joke? This cute little rabbit that I can see a couple meters away from me Is actually stronger than the crow, and probably even than the snake? And what’s with that name? Why attach doom word to a rabbit. I quietly sneaked as far as I could trying to not catch attention of this terrifying beast. What I’m even thinking, why I need to be so terrified of a rabbit. I could just jump on it and bite it to death… Not happening. I didn’t want to die while fighting a plushie. Resigned I went to finally search for something to eat.

193