Ch. 9 – Fighting in the dungeon
5.8k 7 137
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I spent half of the first day on trying to get through sea of grass, and finally gave up. Just walking through isn’t the answer. I had to invent a method that would let me go straight, maybe if I had some sort of string…

The system was right to give me the fool title wasn’t it? Having my web I could deploy a number of different strategies, and yet I was just aimlessly wandering through the grass. I quickly tried first option to came to my mind.

I created a ball of web, that was easily throwable, and was supposed to leave a string behind in a way, that it would lead to the place it landed. Then I threw it toward the closest pond, and as I assumed, it didn’t have enough power to reach it.

But it was all part of the plan. I would follow the string, reach the place the ball landed, and then judging by the web behind me, I would throw next ball in the same direction. This way, if the wind don’t carry it away I should be able to reach the pond.

First of all, since I was on a hill that let me observe the whole plain from above, I made mental map of all the clearings. Then I proceeded with my plan, and to my happy surprise, it worked perfectly. I made it to the first pond, then second and then reached a bigger lake.

The only thing I didn’t account for were monsters. I though they weren’t present on this floor, since I didn’t meet any, but it seems that this isn’t the case. When I was going through grass towards the next clearing, something jumped on me. I couldn’t see it but it grazed my back painfully.

I didn’t hear nor see anything, and I was positively ambushed. My only hope was to reach the clearing before my mysterious adversary made next move. I started to run frantically, following the white thread pointing to my salvation. It ended about on halfway to my target, but I was still running forward.

I shut all my senses, focusing on just running in the same direction. I wouldn’t let the grass deceive me, now that I was running for my life. I succeeded in reaching the clearing before I was jumped on, and now I could see my enemy since it followed me out of the grass.

It was a mouse.

[Assassin mouse lvl. 4]
[A type of mouse that lives in places that are hard to navigate in and it’s easy to lose way. They wait until their prey is exhausted enough by wandering and then use stealth attacks to kill it.
Danger rank: E]

It wasn’t that strong, but I couldn’t let my guard down. I threw my ball of thread that I made on the run at it, but this time I made it sticky. I found it out when I was in spider nest that I could manipulate my web’s properties a bit and that it was possible to use it in battle.

It hit without a problem and it did stick to it fur.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Throw lvl. 1] ]

Nice, a new skill to the collection. The mouse was confused when it couldn’t get rid of my thread and tried to yank it with his hands and then tail, effectively trapping them. It got tangled up itself making it much easier for me, because I only had to kill it now.

I bit into it using [Weak poison] and effectively killed it.

[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 2]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 3]
[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Weak poison lvl. 4] ]

Even a small fry like that gives me two levels. Or maybe it isn’t actually a small fry, but it’s just that I was surrounded with impossibly strong monsters since I was born? Nah, it really is just a weak monster, but if I had to face it in the grass, the outcome would definitely be different.

Suddenly I heard more rustling from the grass an three more mice came out of it. It was bad, I didn’t have my thread balls ready to throw, I had to fight them head on. They didn’t wait for me to attack them, and instead lunged at me all at the same time.

I dodged them somehow, but still got grazed, and I got the feeling that my hp was being close to only half of the pool. I had no other way to inflict damage than biting them while using [Weak poison] so I had to restrain them first.

Wait, did I really need to bite them? The name of the skill is [Weak poison] not [Poison bite]. Maybe I could use it other way? I tried to make a bit of poison in my mouth, but before I could do anything with it, I had to dodge the mice again and I accidentally swallowed it.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Poison resistance lvl. 2] ]

My hp was close to 0 now and I had to take on three enemies. I guess the system really was right when it named me the fool. I could almost see a smirking person on the other side of it.  Good thing is that I wasn’t just self destructing, and actually made other move to win this fight.

When I was dodging the mice I was spreading my web on the floor, being cautious to not step on it, and my strategy succeeded, because soon all of my enemies were stuck to the ground. Another easy win, I didn’t almost die at all, you are just imagining things. My enemies must have never seen a spider or never had anything to do with traps because the way they fell into them was almost pitiable.

Careful to not receive any attack, I restrained my enemies further and then used my fangs to finish them. It was a hard labor, but well worth it.

[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 4]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 5]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 6]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 7]

I expected six level ups, but probably the higher is my level, the more experience I need. Now however was not time to think, it was time to eat.

137