Ch. 11 – Weapon skills are awesome
5.3k 6 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next day all I was doing was swinging. No monster came out and I haven’t gotten any of the skills I wanted so I was kind of bored. I started experimenting with different ways of swinging, searching for the one with most cutting power, but I didn’t find any better way than just building the highest momentum possible.

I was getting better at it, reaching about two meters per hour. I would say it was close to satisfying results, since the grass was really thick, and my thread wasn’t thin enough to just go through it, and I lacked power too.

Finally after two days my rewards came.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Thread mastery lvl. 1] ]
[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Thread techniques lvl. 1] ]
[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Cutting enhancement lvl. 1] ]

Three skills related to my seemingly worthless work came one after another, following one of my countless swings. I was expecting that I would get something related to whips, but that wasn't the case probably because I used my thread, and not an actual whip.

When I acquired thread techniques I felt, that I could use it to make my single attack stronger. It was probably using some of my resources like mana or stamina, but it could enhance my attack power explosively. Let’s try using it. [Thread slash] Activate!

I swung my thread at the grass, imagining using the skill, and the result was overwhelming. It didn’t just enhance attack power, it made a lethal weapon from a single string. When I was swinging normally, grass absorbed most of the power and only a bit was cut each time.

But now that I used a skill, my thread went through grass like butter, effectively clearing about ten meters in a single swing. It also cut something else. Single mouse was lying in the cut grass, gushing blood from it’s body, after being nearly cut in half.

[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 8]

Something was different, after I leveled up I was immobilized. I couldn’t move even a bit, and I heard the sound of something tearing. I blacked out for a second, to find out myself encased in some white skin. Quickly I got out of it, and found out that my missing legs were with me again. Recovery by level up? Sure, I like it.

But this power was terrifying, and it came from only first level of the skill. Using this, I finally had a way to fight other than restraining my enemy first. Because there were a lot of enemies that wouldn’t fall in my traps or could just tear my webs, having a way to deal damage was really making things easier.

It was time to wreak havoc, I didn’t know what it takes to use this technique, but apparently I had a lot of it left, so there was no reason to limit myself. One swing, second swing, grass isn’t my enemy now! I had no idea that just some exercise could lead to so much strength!

I could see the mice running away from my whip and I couldn’t sense my mysterious adversary, so I could clear the way unperturbed. This floor became easy yet again. I have proven that intelligence is stronger than nature. I am not a fool!

I reached next clearing, this time again with bigger lake. It was the biggest one on this floor judging from what I have seen at the beginning. It was my final destination. Strictly speaking, the thing on the middle of this lake was my target. A pair of stairs sprung from the water, leading to the next floor.

But how I am going to reach it? By swimming? I went into the water and tried to swim. I didn’t drown, but I couldn’t move forward either. I was pushed by the gentlest wind, and I was unable to steer at all. I might be very incompatible with water.

Maybe making a boat with web would work? I tried making a platform out of webs, and it did float, but when I stepped on it, it sunk instantly. It was useless to just make platform, and even if it could work, I had no idea how.

Well, whatever, I didn’t want to reach next floor anyway, since I had to evolve first. I was getting close to my level cap and I didn’t want to jump onto presumably stronger enemies without doing it first.

Now that I know the place where the stairs are, I can get to hunting. Is there any convenient prey around? The mice started to flee from me long ago, and I had to level up. Maybe I could fight the enemy that took my legs last time? Assuming that I would even be able to find it.

For now let’s return to my temporary base and think things through.

138