Chapter 15: Letting go
106 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Letting go

 After Andiel had dug a grave in the garden, as Darius had woven a flower crown by his side, Beth's bones were laid in the dirt. In a nice white sheet, and with the flower crown with the rune woven in there with the bones. Darius watched, as Andiel nudged him towards the grave. 

"Say something about her," Andiel urged, and Darius sniffled. 

"I still can't believe she is gone," Darius felt a tear slide down his cheeks. It didn't matter how long ago it had happened. It still hurt. 

"It will never get any easier," Andy told him, as he knelt down next to him. "But if you say something nice about her now, so I will get to know her and she can live in the memories of two people, rather than one, I think she will be happier." 

"She always gave me extra food. When I was younger, I thought that when she said she was on a diet, she meant it," Darius felt shame for his naivety then. He shouldn't have believed Beth. Should have made her eat her meager portions. If he had done so, then maybe a single rainy night wouldn't have been enough to kill her. 

"She sounds like a good mother," Andiel told him, and Darius let out a sob. 

"She was the best mother there was. Always had a story for me. In the stories, the main characters always started off homeless, like us, and then got famous and won riches and found love," Darius understood then, with a pang of pain, that this must have been Beth's dream. A dream she never got to live. 

But I will live it for her, Darius vowed, as he took a clump of earth, and threw it in the grave. I will make her stories into reality. Her dreams will come true. 

Andiel took his determination as a sign that it was time to cover up the grave. He worked in silence, as his son cried just as silently. There was a rose bush ready to be planted over the grave. Darius had not wanted a cold stone to be the thing that marked Beth's grave. Rather, he wanted for the surface of the soil to be marked by life, and happiness. 

"Do you think that we can go inside now?" Andiel asked. It was getting dark and with the darkness came the spring chill in the air. 

"Just one moment," Darius said, and then pulled out his mirror. The same one that Anastasios had given him. He cleared his throat, and poured mana inside. 

"Yes, Darius?" Came the voice from the other end. "Wait, were you crying?"

"I buried my mother today," Darius told him, hiccupping. 

"Oh, my condolences," Anastasios said, and then looked at him with worry. "Why are you outside? Isn't it cold in Fairstar this time of the year?"

"I wanted to show you the grave," Darius said, and then pointed the mirror at the grave, so that the rose bush could be in view. "The bush is the marker." 

"Do you know how to take care of roses, Darius?" Anastasios asked, and Darius let out a sob. 

"No, I have no idea. But I wanted it to be a rose because roses were Beth's favorites," Darius said, and he heard Anastasios's sigh. 

"I will search in the gardening section of Baskia's library about roses. Just give me time. Your mother really must have been something, for you to have turned out the way you did. All kind and caring," with those words, a red tinge appeared on Darius's cheeks. Anastasios thought him kind and caring. He really liked him. 

"Will you read me a story tonight?" Darius turned the mirror towards his face so that he could see in Anastasios's eyes. The young vampire looked hesitant for just a moment, and then gifted him with a smile. 

"Give me a couple of hours, and I will. Do you want me to tell you a story about a mother and son?" Anastasios asked, and Darius nodded. 

"The very best in your library," the demon boy demanded, and Anastasios nodded. 

"Hey, I will tell you a story. I will even sing you a song. But you have to promise you will wipe your tears. Your mother must be sad to see you like that," Anastasios said, his voice soft. Darius blinked. 

Beth couldn't be sad now. She was no longer there. Would never laugh again, would never joke, would never tell him a story, or hug him for good night. 

"I know what you are thinking," Anastasios said, as he saw that Darius was ready to break down crying once more. "That she is gone. But you are wrong. She is in your heart, your father's heart, and now mine. Two immortals and one long-lived elf will keep her in their memories. How many mortals could say the same for themselves?"

"You won't forget Beth?" Darius asked hopefully. 

"No, and do you know what? You will tell me all about her tonight. Just before I tell you the story. I bet she will end up a better mother, than the one in the story," Anastasios smiled, when Darius's lips turned up. He heard a noise from behind him, and looked at the other boy apologetically. "I have to go now. I am being called to dinner. See you later." 

"See you," Darius waved at the mirror, and soon he saw just his own reflection in there. He looked at his father. 

"Dad, Anastasios has a birthday in a month," Darius said, and then took in a sharp breath. "Can I make him a high-level rune?"

"A high-level rune?" Andiel asked, and began shaking his head. "Do you know how much blood you will need to lose for something like that?"

"I know that it will hurt," Darius said, and then looked down at his still healing hand. It stung, at times, but the bleeding had long since stopped. "But I don't want for you to spent even more money on me than you have already. Besides, he will cherish something I have made him more than a trinket. He is a prince. He has many trinkets already." 

"I will get you an animal to sacrifice," Andiel offered, searching for a compromise. Darius shook his head. 

"I will not sacrifice the innocents for power," the demon boy said, determined. 

"Then I suppose that you will just have to begin taking Galtea extract in preparation," the elf told him, and Darius looked at him quizzing. 

15