Chapter 22: Meeting with the lord
85 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22: Meeting with the lord

 It didn't take long to have an appointment with lord Orion. He never let an opportunity to speak with a healer pass him by, something for which the healers of Brukleon town were grateful for. The father and son duo were nervously waiting in the entrance hall of the manor house.

Darius had never seen such opulence before. For a single moment, he was Beggar again. Fearful that he was going to get in trouble for dirtying the nice house with his presence. 

I am no longer Beggar. Darius told himself sternly, and then pinched his cheeks. My name is Darius, it means gift, and I am a runesmith who helps his father in the clinic. 

The young demon boy repeated those words to himself a couple of more times, and then the door to the drawing room opened. Out came a maid, who nodded at them, and ushered them inside. 

Andiel placed a hand on Darius's shoulder, to both calm him down and himself, and walked them to the room. Inside, Darius was almost left gaping. This place had painted walls, mosaics on the ground, windows with such carvings on them, that they looked like a work of art. And the furniture. 

The furniture looked old, but kept in a good condition. There was a big grandfather clock framed with gold to one end of the room, red velvet chairs littered the room, a big coffee table stood proudly in the middle. Sitting in one of the chairs, was a young-looking Fey with the most delicate wings Darius had ever seen. The man turned towards them, and nodded. 

"Ah, the family Loreth. It is a pleasure to meet you. Now, you wrote in your message that you needed to speak to me about something that was urgent?" The lord, for who else could this creature be, asked. Andiel took charge, and bowed, nudging his son with his hand to do the same. "Now, now, none of that. I appreciate healers. Tell me what ails you, and I will find a way to lift the worry."

"The homeless need an address to register with the workforce," Darius blurted out, and he felt a squeeze on his shoulder. He decided that now was the time to speak in a more measured tone. "I mean, if you become the patron of an operation to get them a temporary home, then I am convinced that everyone in Brukleon will contribute." 

"Ah, the homeless," lord Orion sighed. He leaned back in his chair, and looked Darius up and down. "You were one until recently, right, my boy? I remember signing adoption papers for a young demon." 

"I was, your lordship," Darius spoke, unashamed. His adoption was a thing of pride for him. A proof that Andiel had a heart of gold. 

"Do you know how many people are homeless in Brukleon at this time, child?" The lord asked him gently. Darius knew a rejection when he heard it. Still, he owed it to the many who went to sleep in the trash to try again. 

"Just because they are down on their luck doesn't mean they can't lift themselves up. The other day, I gave a silver coin to a beggar. Do you know what he said, my lord? Not that he was going to buy something to drink, as the more well-off people like to mutter about us behind our backs. Or even to eat, despite the fact that he probably hadn't seen food in quite some while. He, instead, said he will rent a room and register with the workforce," Darius puffed up his chest, proud of the conduct of the man, whose name he didn't even know. 

"That is nice and all, but only wistful thinking. No registration would go if the address is just there for ten days," the lord informed him, and Darius's eyes became wide. 

"But, why is an address even needed, my lord? Why can't the homeless just work?" Darius needed to know, even though Andiel squeezed his shoulder again. 

"It is not fair, I know," the lord said, and then sighed again, although this time much heavier than before. "I can't begin to imagine what it is like to be homeless..." 

"Then don't imagine, be homeless for a week," Darius demanded, and Andiel gasped. 

"Darius!" His father yelped, but Darius was not finished. 

"I was taken care of by a nice lady by the name of Beth. She gave me everything she had, and told me stories where beggars could become well-off citizens. It was her dream. If you want to understand her, to understand me and all the rest, then..." Darius was shaken mid-sentence, and he looked up at his father. 

"Darius, this is enough. You can't expect a lord to become a beggar just because you willed it," his father chastised, but lord Orion held up a hand. 

"Perhaps I should?" He murmured, and Darius became hopeful. "For a week, you say?"

"For a week, my lord. Father and I will come and visit you every day, bring you food, and..." Darius offered, but the lord chuckled. 

"Then I won't be a beggar, I will be on a vacation, my boy. A week, to get to know some of my people whom I have ignored. Sounds fair enough. Just a week," the lord stood, and began to take off his heavy rings. Darius smiled brightly at that. 

"We will still visit," Darius said, but the man just shook his head. 

"If that is what you wish, I won't say no to the occasional bite to eat. The week starts tomorrow. Just so that you know for a fact that I will hold to my word, I will expect you bright and early. To escort me to the begging spot that you frequented," lord Orion said, and then tapped his chin. "And I suppose I will need a disguise. A masking potion should suffice. I will drink it before the two of you." 

"Thank you," Darius bowed low, and looked at Andiel. "He will help, dad. After a week of being a beggar, he will see that we deserve homes too. Jobs as well." 

Andiel gave Darius a small smile, and waited for permission to depart. When the lord waved them off, they both left. 

14