Chapter 25: Bunking together
83 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 25: Bunking together

 Between the two of them, Orion and Baliel had managed to make a single rune. With Baliel bleeding for it, and Orion supplying the mana. The Fey knew that this type of craft was not for him, but he still didn't want to let the elf down. Darius led them to Orc's eye tavern, and got the attention of the tavern's visitors. 

"Listen up, everyone. I have students now," Darius said proudly, as the crowd cheered. The young demon boy was something of a permanent presence in the tavern by now, and the regulars knew him by name. "They made a water rune, that they would like to sell. I tested it, and it works." 

"Sure, let us see," a nymph stood from her chair, and came towards Darius. The demon boy looked to Orion, who kept the rune in his bag, as Baliel had nothing to carry the rune in. 

"This is our rune, miss," Orion handed it over, and the nymph looked at it. 

"The writing is sort of uneven. Nothing like Darius's runes," she murmured, and then handed back the rune. "I will get it off you for fifty copper coins." 

Darius was ready to argue, but Baliel had stars in his eyes. 

"Thank you," the elven beggar spoke, as he bowed low. 

"Don't mention it. You two just need practice. I hope to see more runes out of the two of you," with that, the nymph paid, and went back to her seat. Baliel held the money in his shaky hands, and then all but ran to the bar. 

"One room for two for five days, please," the elf said, and Tom handed him a key. 

"If you get me a dust removal rune, I will include meals," the kind barkeeper said, and Baliel nodded vigorously. 

"We will do our best," the elf went back to Darius and company. "Please, teach Orion and me how to make dust removal runes." 

"I will, but you need to recover from the..." Darius couldn't finish, as the elf bowed low to him. 

"Please. The barkeeper said he will include meals, but I don't want to make him wait," Baliel spoke, and Orion stared at him with wide eyes. This man was so desperate for a home, that he was ready to bleed for it. 

"I will provide the blood this time," Orion said, and Baliel looked to him. 

"You are a Fey. If you provide the blood, you won't be able to get up from the bed the next day," Baliel protested, but Orion just shook his head. 

"No, the blood will be mine. Doesn't the rule for runesmithing go like this: the bigger the value of the sacrifice, the stronger the rune? I have less blood than you, so the value will be bigger. The sacrifice greater," Orion nodded to himself, and then looked around for a clean table. Finding one in a corner, and headed towards it. 

If Baliel had not let even a whimper, escape him, as they had made the water rune, then neither would Orion. All his life, he had a silver spoon close to his mouth. No longer. For this week, he was going to sacrifice his comfort, his pride, and even his blood and mana. To atone for being this blind for so long. 

Darius got a sheet of paper and a pencil out. Baliel's strokes were much more precise, than Orion's uneven lines. Feeling guilty because he had costed the elf fifty copper coins, and wasn't it strange to think of the amount as a fortune? He rolled up the tattered sleeve of his tunic, and cut his arm, when Baliel told him that he should. 

Orion felt as if the room was spinning, the pain in his arm was making his eyes water. Yet, he didn't let out a sound. Life was hard for him now, but he would go back to an easy living soon enough.

What of Baliel? If the elf didn't find a job, then he would go back to the streets. No, Orion wasn't going to let that happen. 

When the rune glowed, Darius immediately closed the cut on Orion's arm. He handed him a glass of water, and the Fey drank it dry. Baliel took the rune, and headed towards the bar.  He came back teary-eyed, and clutching two copper coins. 

"Meals for five days, and the money to register in the workforce," Baliel said, as he let out a sob. He turned to Darius then. "You are an angel, my boy." 

"Demon, actually," Darius corrected, but he was smiling brightly. "Well, dad and I will be leaving now. I need to start making the next batch of runes. But I will be back tomorrow, to teach you new runes." 

"I think we have learned enough," Baliel said, as he took another sheet of paper from the stack, and drew the two runes he knew. Once again, his lines were even and pleasant to look at. Orion decided that he was going to let the elf draw the runes, from now on. "I don't want to be your competition." 

"There are plenty of customers for everyone," Darius protested, but Baliel just shook his head. 

"I can find a job as a gardener somewhere. That was what I used to be, before I got kicked out of my home. Now, I will get to earn my living in an honest way again. All thanks to you," Baliel placed a hand on Darius's head, and gave him a couple of pets. "You are a good kid, Darius."

Darius nodded, and then stood up. Andiel close behind him. The two waved and left. Baliel looked to Orion. 

"I don't know about you, but now that we have proof," Baliel said, holding up the card with the key for their room. "I think it is time to go see the registration office. Get one extra day of having our names considered." 

"I suppose you have the right of it," Orion said. Even though the air had become chilly outside, they ventured out, and headed towards the workforce registration office. 

Don't forget to leave hearts!

12