Chapter 1
186 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arrow went through the most uncomfortable second of his life by opening his eyes that should have already been open. You see, his brain was telling him he was wide awake at work, between blinks, but suddenly his eyes were shut closed, dare he say magically? No, there is no such thing as magic. He probably just blacked out and has brain damage causing memory loss that made him feel like he should have been between blinks in the middle of the day instead of with his eyes glued shut laying on a dirt floor. Wait, dirt floor? Arrow opened his eyes even though it felt like his eyelashes should be deep behind his eyeballs and luckily his senses caught up with his understanding of reality and he could make peace with the fact that his eyes had been closed, however, he was seeing other things that confused him now.

He was, in fact, laying on a dirt floor, in a room with low stacked stone walls. The room looked like a large bedroom with a low wood ceiling, with a small table, a rustic wooden bed with straw on it, a rustic wooden chair, and a couple of bookshelves. The entire thing seemed like an illegal prison set up in some sort of expensive barn. None of this looked like it could have been in the United States, much less North Dakota where the vast majority of houses there were made with wood paneling and small red bricks built during the 80s. This residence went against all building regulations since the middle ages when people stopped living with their farm animals. Does this mean he somehow was moved to Europe while unconscious?

"ah!-" Arrow could hear his heart beating in his ears in fear. Okay, so he needs to find out anything about what's going on. There's a door. He'll go check the door, and see if it's locked.

Surprisingly, except for the latch on his side of the door, the door was completely unlocked, so Arrow tiptoed out of the bedroom/office after listening for any noises outside the door. The door leads to another empty room, much larger than the last and with twice as high ceilings. It seemed to be a dining room for at least fifty people, with two long wooden tables next to each other and four long and backless benches, two for each table. There was some light coming in from a stained glass window close to the ceiling, and it let a little daylight into the dusty hall. While quietly and carefully walking through to the door under the window Arrow became completely distracted by a coat of arms shield on the rough stone wall. It was a tri-color shield of steel, copper, and gold. The crest had on it a painting of lion, an octopus, a tower on a rock, and a fictional Pegasus animal on it. He glanced at it as he was walking past it because it was one of the few pieces of decoration in the room, but what stunned him was the sheer quality of the piece. Everything else in the room was made out of carved logs, packing dirt, or thoughtfully piling roughly chiseled boulders, but this one piece of decoration had three types of metal seamlessly welded together. Arrow worked the past several years of his life working as a mechanical engineer for the Technical University of North Dakota, and honestly, this level of craftsmanship is something he could only ask for from a highly technical aerospace machining lab! All the different types of metals fit together snugly. This small shield would cost no less than thirty thousand dollars, but up to 50 k. He couldn't help himself from having a closer look, completely distracted from the main goal of finding out where he was and why was he kidnapped. After all, he only gets to witness such well-crafted parts every six months or so when a research group ordered them to his lab, and it was always amazing to him.

Arrow lifted the shield off the wall and it was quite heavy. He rubbed his hand over the shield and was amazed. The only visible dent in the shield was for the decoration. There was nothing, not even the slightest divet, for the metals. He knocked on it to check the firmness. Ah, yeah, it's metal and not plastic. Arrow simply needed to see the welds on the back so he flipped it over, looked on the reflective surface, and dropped the priceless piece of metalwork.

Wha-, who was that in his reflection? Arrow looked back into the undecorated back of the shield. He almost would have been less shocked had he not had a reflection at all, well not really, as then he'd either be a vampire or a ghost, and that crosses his bottom line more than whatever this was. However, this wasn't much better. Dressed in light green and red silk was himself with pink hair in a short bowl cut and a round pink face. Ah, was he some sort of Tumblr hipster dressed like a jester? Ah, no matter how you look at it, that wasn't his face! He was olive complexioned and square-jawed, like the average adult male. Where did his handsome and adult body go? Ah, he needs to get out of here! Whoever snatched him up while at work is absolutely crazy if they're going to do these sorts of body modifications to him and dress him up this way.

Arrow went back to find the exit. Surprisingly, that door opened too, and light rays streamed in from outside, and when Arrow looked outside he closed back the door. It- it wasn't normal out there. Outside that wooden door was a bustling town with a winding hilly road filled with people nearly as strangely dressed as him, but in undyed robes, coats, and dresses. It smelled highly unpleasant. There were a few stalls selling god knows what. But also, there were things that made even less sense, less sense than being in a place far behind technologically and culturally by at least a thousand years.

"God Jesus, take me back to planet Earth. I'm sorry for saying I didn't believe in you every week during share time in Sunday school and for taking the money my parents gave to me to give to you to buy the new Tekken game in middle school."

Arrow opened his eyes and unclasped his hands and peaked back out the door. A carriage without wheels flew by his front door being pulled by two winged horses. There was clearly no strings or anything holding it up since Arrow could see the space below the carriage.

Okay, so it looks like he wasn't in Kansas anymore, and he wasn't Dorothy anymore either. There's no way to get back to his normal life... at least with his 21st-century physics knowledge, much less these people who haven't heard of central plumbing.

Arrow's mind was beginning to race when he heard a firm knock from the front door. He obviously just wasn't going to answer it, but whoever was on the other side did some shuffling on the other side, then there was a second of silence before the knob began to turn. Arrow ran, nearly tripping over one of the long benches, back into the bedroom he first opened his eyes in.

Arrow slammed the door and found the largest thing he could use as a weapon, the wooden chair, and stood behind it. He'll wait until the person comes in and gets their guard down and then he'll knock them out and question them. Unless, of course, the guy on the other side of the door attacked him directly, in which case he'd hit him with the chair as soon as he gets close. Footsteps got louder and louder as the person outside the door got nearer and nearer. The person put something down outside. "Shit, do they have a weapon too?" Arrow thought. The door began to open, and then the person paused to pick back up what they put down. Arrow glared at the door, and it opened.

He had to look down 12 inches from where he was expecting to see a face.

???

Arrow released his iron grip from the chair that he was prepared to chuck at the perpetrator. He patted the chair back and pretended he wasn't about to pummel a little girl with a wooden chair. The person who came into the room was a child with a bright and simple face.

"Young master, I brought your lunch! I have pork belly steamed buns, mutton stew, and rabbit meat pie-ah!"

The young girl, not more than 12, ran into the room with a basket in her arms that was too big for her and proceeded to trip over her own feet, toppling the basket of food to the ground. She then put the food back into the basket and kneeled onto the ground with her head down.

"I'm sorry millord. I'm too stupid. I dropped your food on the floor even though this meal was expensive and hard to come by."

Arrow didn't know what to say. The strange kid had just gone through several emotions at once and was way too excitable. He isn't good with children. She seemed to be some sort of servant to him. She was wearing a grey dress that went down to below her calves, an apron, and a frilly bonnet. Her hair was a light blue color and in two short pigtails high on her head.

The girl closed her teary eyes and held out her palms towards him, and they were covered in red welts in the process of healing.

"It's okay, the food was individually wrapped in pieces of cloth. I can still eat it. Get up."

She got up, but her head was still down and her hands were clasped together, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Arrow decided to go ahead and ask her questions until she became suspicious.

"Who are you?"

"Uh, I'm your personal maid for three years, Hana. Is this a trick question?"

"Not really," Arrow responded, but he had another question, "So who am I?"

"...You're the lord of Crystalberg, Lopi Henrick Joon Crystallin. I don't know why you are asking me this. Ah, I know! We are in Crystalberg right now but no one is taking you seriously at all just because you are a little absentee for a landlord. After all, when you went to your own manor, it was turned into a hotel and they couldn't even clear out a room for you. The hotel guards kicked you out on your face! How dare they?!"

So Arrow, well, I guess "Lopi", found out a lot from that. He nodded, but otherwise couldn't say anything, so as to not give himself away.

"Let's go eat this food before it gets cold."

5